PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Notebook: Parker closes season with double bang

some_user86
04-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Spurs Notebook: Parker closes season with double bang

Web Posted: 04/17/2008 10:30 PM CDT

Jeff McDonald
Express-News staff writer

Tony Parker loves to score. Tony Parker doesn't mind passing.

"If I can do both," he said, "then that's really good."

By that measure, Parker ended his regular season on a really good note.

The Spurs point guard closed with back-to-back double-doubles in victories over Sacramento and Utah, totaling 56 points and 23 assists in the two games.

It marked the first time Parker recorded a double-double in consecutive games since December 2005.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich takes Parker's two-game outburst as a sign that he's finally back to his old self after an injury-plagued regular reason.

"He's in great shape, and he's healthy," Popovich said. "It's playoff time, so we've all got to be at the top of our game."

Parker's ascent comes just as the Spurs prepare for a first-round playoff meeting with the Phoenix Suns, a team against which he has typically enjoyed success.

The Most Valuable Player of last year's NBA Finals sweep of Cleveland, Parker ended the regular season averaging 18.6 points and 5.5 assists. He had one of his best months in April, averaging 20.9 and 7.1.

Oberto OK: Spurs center Fabricio Oberto appeared no worse for wear after taking a slap to the face in the team's season finale Wednesday night.

Utah's Mehmet Okur was charged with a flagrant foul after whacking Oberto during a chase for the rebound midway through the third quarter. Oberto remained prone on the court for several minutes before collecting himself and shooting his free throws.

"I don't think he did it on purpose," Oberto said.

Thomas changes sides, not mind: At this time last year, forward Kurt Thomas was one the other side of the Spurs-Suns playoff rivalry.

But that doesn't change his opinion on the seminal moment of that Western Conference semifinal series — Robert Horry's Game 4 hip-check of Steve Nash, which began a chain of events that led to suspensions for Phoenix's Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw.

"It was a tough call, but you have to know the rules," said Thomas, ever the diplomat. "We couldn't do anything about it. We still went into Game 5 being positive, but we just came up a little short."

Asked if, now that he's a Spur, he wouldn't mind seeing Stoudemire miss a game or two, Thomas laughed.

"I'm not thinking about any suspensions," he said.

[email protected]

LINK: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041808.Spursnotebook.en.32fcdbe.html

some_user86
04-17-2008, 11:21 PM
This should make ducks happy.

GinobiliLooms
04-17-2008, 11:32 PM
I really dont get the whole TP vs. Manu thing. I mean they're a team dammit. Why cant Spurs fans just realize it and be happy. They are both good at doing what they do, and are probably the most lethal guard combo in the league.