PDA

View Full Version : Classy vs. Bitter...where do you fall?

VinnyTestesVerde
04-18-2008, 01:57 AM
Ok...huge Dallas Cowboys homer here. When the NY Giants knocked us out of the playoffs last season, I rooted against them every step of the way. All the way through the neverending nightmare that was/is Superbowl 42.

When the Cowboys lose, I have a really hard time rooting for the team that took them down. I understand that supposedly some people take comfort in the fact that "you lost to the eventual champions"...but I take no comfort in that.

The net result of last season was Giants win the Superbowl. I will never be ok with it. At the same time I almost feel a little guilty about that, but I can't help it. You're supposed to take that "classy" route aren't you?

Where do you fall? Do you take the supposed "classy" route, tip your hat and cheer for the team who ended your team's dreams? Or do take the "bitter" route like myself? Help me here...

samikeyp
04-18-2008, 07:11 AM
I think the conflict lies with the fact that some feel there is a specific course of action to follow. There isn't. You can root for or against anyone you wish. IMO, a true fan roots for there team no matter what but when your team is out....anything goes.

fyatuk
04-18-2008, 07:35 AM
Typically I would want the teams that eliminated my teams to win the championship. It's selfish pride (it's easier to stomach losing if it's to the eventual champions), but it works for me.

The exception in the NFL would be the Eagles. I want them to lose no matter what.

midgetonadonkey
04-18-2008, 11:27 AM
I hate every team except for the Texans. I don't care who wins or loses after that.

fyatuk
04-18-2008, 12:50 PM
I hate every team except for the Texans. I don't care who wins or loses after that.

You must spend a lot of time not caring... :p:

J.T.
04-18-2008, 01:19 PM
This is my formula for who to root for once my team is eliminated

1. Team in your division

If your team doesn't win, it's nice to keep the title within the division. Also, everyone wants a crack at the defending champs next season, so a division rival winning the championship ensures you get two chances to prove you're better.

2. Team in same conference

If your team is eliminated by a division rival, then back another team in the conference. Most players back their own conference in the Super Bowl, and I don't have a problem with that unles...

3. Root for the team that doesn't have any/has few assholes

I didn't want to see Rodney Roids, Deadbeat Dad Brady, Straight Cash Homey, or Darth Hoodie win shit last year, so I rooted against them all the way until the end. I backed the Giants and I couldn't have been happier with Super Bowl 42 unless the Colts had won it. Similarly I wouldn't back Complainian Tomlinson in the Super Bowl. I would actually root for him to get owned up the way Montana owned Marino.

4. Root for the underdog

If the team that eliminated your team is eliminated in a later round and you have no rooting interest in either team, root for the underdog. The Giants unlikely win over the Patriots is a better story than seeing all of those Beantown fagets win a 4th title. Remember, if the Pats had gone 19-0, Tom Brady and Belichick would have had their heads put in those jars like in Futurama and people in 3008 would still be hearing them talk about how great they were for going 19-0 first. The Football Gods did us a great service by letting David Tyree catch that ball on his head.

MajorMike
04-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Remember, if the Pats had gone 19-0, Tom Brady and Belichick would have had their heads put in those jars like in Futurama and people in 3008 would still be hearing them talk about how great they were for going 19-0 first. The Football Gods did us a great service by letting David Tyree catch that ball on his head.

Classic.

O-Factor
04-18-2008, 09:36 PM
I can get pretty fucking bitter, but I rooted for the Pack after the 'Boys went down because I respect the hell out of Farve and wanted to see him go out on top. But once the Giants beat the Pack, I figured they deserved to be in the SuperBowl. So I rooted for them, but mostly because they were playing a team I really don't respect at all in the Patriots.

But I'd never root for the Redskins or the Eagles under any condition.

bresilhac
04-19-2008, 08:08 AM
I root against the Dallas Cowboys at all times.

O-Factor
04-20-2008, 09:24 PM

Jealousy is an ugly thing.

Evan
04-20-2008, 10:07 PM

People do tend to hate greatness so I understand.

midgetonadonkey
04-20-2008, 11:37 PM
People do tend to hate greatness so I understand.

Wouldn't greatness entail winning a playoff game in at least 10 years?

midgetonadonkey
04-20-2008, 11:38 PM

If that's the case the Texans are a great team.

VinnyTestesVerde
04-21-2008, 02:40 PM
This is my formula for who to root for once my team is eliminated

1. Team in your division

If your team doesn't win, it's nice to keep the title within the division. Also, everyone wants a crack at the defending champs next season, so a division rival winning the championship ensures you get two chances to prove you're better.

2. Team in same conference

If your team is eliminated by a division rival, then back another team in the conference. Most players back their own conference in the Super Bowl, and I don't have a problem with that unles...

3. Root for the team that doesn't have any/has few assholes

I didn't want to see Rodney Roids, Deadbeat Dad Brady, Straight Cash Homey, or Darth Hoodie win shit last year, so I rooted against them all the way until the end. I backed the Giants and I couldn't have been happier with Super Bowl 42 unless the Colts had won it. Similarly I wouldn't back Complainian Tomlinson in the Super Bowl. I would actually root for him to get owned up the way Montana owned Marino.

4. Root for the underdog

If the team that eliminated your team is eliminated in a later round and you have no rooting interest in either team, root for the underdog. The Giants unlikely win over the Patriots is a better story than seeing all of those Beantown fagets win a 4th title. Remember, if the Pats had gone 19-0, Tom Brady and Belichick would have had their heads put in those jars like in Futurama and people in 3008 would still be hearing them talk about how great they were for going 19-0 first. The Football Gods did us a great service by letting David Tyree catch that ball on his head.

i like your take on this. i guess if you have a structure in place, you can kind of take emotion out of it. i just secretly (or i guess not so secretly now) take joy in watching those who beat the cowboys fail as well.

VinnyTestesVerde
04-21-2008, 02:41 PM

This year baby. (please...i can't take another playoff letdown this year!)

Obstructed_View
04-22-2008, 01:24 AM
It was great seeing the Patriots lose.

Evan
04-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Its a historical situation where you start worrying about the Pats racking up more superbowls and various other milestones so you have to deep down root for NY.

Evan
04-22-2008, 08:04 AM

Recent greatness...yes

Overall historical greatness...no

Every team has up in and downs over stretches.