PDA

View Full Version : Series Thoughts: Spurs vs. Suns Preview

timvp
04-18-2008, 07:18 AM
Series Thoughts: Spurs vs. Suns Preview
By LJ & Kori Ellis

Coming into this season, everyone assumed that we’d get a San Antonio Spurs versus Phoenix Suns rematch in the 2008 playoffs. After last year’s exciting and controversial series, it was a given that these two teams would be matched up once again this year. However, I doubt anyone would have guessed that we’d be seeing this series in the first round.

I also doubt that anyone foresaw how things would change. With virtually the same team that went 16-4 during the 2007 playoffs, the Spurs struggled throughout most of the regular season. While they finished with a respectable 56-26 record, the Spurs never really sustained championship level basketball for any stretch of time during the 82 game season. Injury was one problem, but other more serious problems such as a lack of cohesion and a lack of consistency were also main culprits.

The Suns have had an even bumpier ride since the 2007 playoffs. After apparently giving up on the Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion frontline, the Suns decided to supersize their lineup by trading Marion for The Big Sand Dune. With Shaquille O’Neal now on their side, Phoenix is now a bigger, stronger and undoubtedly hungrier unit – both literally and figuratively.

Although the Suns were a bit slow to adapt to having The Big Midseason Acquisition in the middle, Phoenix has already seen the move pay dividends against the Spurs. With O’Neal on their side, the Suns won the final two meetings against the Spurs. O’Neal was extremely helpful in terms of guarding Tim Duncan and clogging the lane to prevent penetration from Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.

Now it’s the Spurs’ time to adjust. O’Neal was the Suns’ answer to the Spurs. How can the Spurs counterattack the Suns? Let us take a look.

TIM DUNCAN

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg

LJ's View: Tim Duncan has to show up offensively against O’Neal and the Suns. In the two games against Phoenix after the O’Neal trade, Duncan has struggled. His struggles became more pronounced as the games went along. In the fourth quarter of each game, Duncan had been turned into a liability offensively. That has to change. While O’Neal has definitely had moments of quality defensive play against Duncan over the years, Duncan has also been able to abuse O’Neal at times. Duncan must do that in this series for the Spurs to have a chance. If O’Neal limits Duncan, the Spurs have absolutely no chance to win. Defensively, Duncan needs to protect the rim and simultaneously be aware enough to stay out of foul trouble. Stoudemire and O’Neal form an imposing frontline but Duncan should be able to disrupt while avoiding fouls.

Kori's View: Though the series doesn't begin and end with Tim Duncan, he's a huge part of it. Throughout the years, O’Neal has always given Duncan problems and I don't expect that to change. No matter if he's older, slower or fatter, he's still Shaq and the space he takes up is enough to cause difficulties. That being said, I'd like for Duncan to realize that he's the best power forward of all-time and that he can score on anybody. Despite coasting for the majority of the season, Duncan is still a force on both ends of the court. If he stays aggressive around the rim offensively and protects it on D, like we know he can, the Spurs should be in good shape.
-----------------------------------------
MANU GINOBILI

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3380.jpg

LJ's View: Manu Ginobili wasn’t very impressive in either game against the Suns after the O’Neal trade. He seemed hesitant to penetrate against the Suns’ improved frontline. In this series, that must change. Ginobili relentless attacking the rim is a must. He’s going up against a solid defender in Raja Bell but Ginobili has proven in the past that he can score against Bell. Coming off of his best regular season of his NBA career, Ginobili should hopefully be able to carry that level of play in the postseason. Last year against the Suns, Ginobili laid a few eggs. This season, the Spurs can’t afford any egg laying out of their Argentine superstar.

Kori's Views: It's Manu Time. Manu Ginobili has one of the greatest wills to win that I have ever seen in a basketball player. He defines "champion" because that's all that matters to him. He has unselfishly changed his role from bench player to starter and back again to benefit the team. And though he hasn't impressed against the Suns this season, the playoffs are a whole other animal to Ginobili. I fully expect that Ginobili will build upon his career season and dominate Bell and the Suns in round 1.
TONY PARKER

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg

LJ's View: Tony Parker has had good stretches of play against the O’Neal Suns, however he needs to be more consistent. Parker pushing the ball, creating havoc and staying in attack mode are vital elements to San Antonio's offense. He’ll be used a lot in pick-and-roll action and he needs to consistently get to the rim. The Suns also will try to force him to hit his jumper and he’ll need to make Phoenix pay for that strategy. Defensively, Parker needs to shut down Leandro Barbosa like he usually does. If he’s called upon to guard Steve Nash or Bell, he’ll need to play solid defense. Last year, Parker played pretty darn well against the Suns. He led the Spurs in plus/minus for the series and averaged approximately 21 points and six assists. San Antonio will need another good series out of Parker.

Kori's View: After battling health problems for almost half of the season, Parker got it together as the season wound down. The last two games of the regular campaign were perhaps some of the best basketball we have seen Parker play since the 2007 playoffs. Parker's favorite word seems to be aggressive ("Pop told me to stay aggressive.") and this series it's going to be all about Parker's aggressive penetration. The Spurs are virtually unstoppable when Parker continues to drive the lane, whether he's scoring or dishing.
BRUCE BOWEN

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3167.jpg

LJ's View: Bruce Bowen will have one of the toughest tasks in the series when he takes the challenge of defending Nash. This season, I thought he defended Nash well in every game except the season finale against Phoenix. Bowen will need to have a great defensive series to give the Spurs a chance. If Nash gets loose to both score and dish out assists by the truckload, it’ll be tough for the Spurs to win. But if Bowen can make life difficult for Nash, that’d be a huge positive for the Spurs. To do so, Bowen has to stay out of foul trouble and keep his composure throughout the series. Offensively, his job is to knock in the corner three-pointers. If Duncan can dominate inside and Parker and Ginobili can get to the rim, Bowen should find himself open a lot in the corners.

Kori's View: We have heard that Bruce Bowen's losing a step for three seasons now. And at nearly 37-years-old, logic tells us he should slow down soon. But in actuality, we haven't seen much slowing down from Bowen. This series, he will have the unenviable task of guarding Nash. This is where I believe the Marion-O’Neal trade pays off in the Spurs favor. In past years, Bowen would oftentimes have to switch back and forth between guarding Marion and Nash. Now Bowen will be able to stay home on Nash for the majority of the game. On offense, Bowen needs to just get to his spot and know his limitations.
MICHAEL FINLEY

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg

LJ's View: Michael Finley is going to be counted on to be the fourth scorer for the Spurs in this series. Last year, his 13.3 average against the Suns in the playoffs was extremely important. The Spurs will need him to average 10-12 points again this year. The good news is Finley is shooting the ball extremely well right now. In the month of April, Finley shot over 50% from the floor and averaged 11 points in 28 minutes. If he can spread the floor by draining three-pointers, the Spurs offense will be able to flow much easier. Defensively, Finley is going to need to have a good series. In fact, his defense may be more important than his offense. With Bowen on Nash, it’ll be Finley’s job to slow down Grant Hill. Hill is the x-factor in this series and it is up to Finley to keep him in check.

Kori's View: I wasn't the biggest Michael Finley supporter during his rough times this year. That slump was everlasting and I really wasn't sure that he was ever going to work his way out of it. That said, Finley finished off the season in fine fashion helping spread the floor with his accuracy from the perimeter. I'm not sure how much Finley will contribute on the other end of the floor but he has to try. When Finley gets out of synch on offense (which is likely to happen here and there), he loses his way on D too, floating around the court in slow motion. That can't happen in this series – Hill is too good.
FABRICIO OBERTO

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3988.jpg

LJ's View: Fabricio Oberto’s role in this series will be interesting. To date, Oberto has shown absolutely no ability to defend O’Neal. O’Neal's combination of size and strength has just been too much for Oberto. And since that is unlikely to change at this point, Oberto will need to attempt to slow down Stoudemire. While he’ll obviously be at an athletic disadvantage, he needs to at least stay in front of him and force Stoudemire to hit contested jumpers. Oberto’s goal in each game should be to not allow Stoudemire to dunk the ball. If Oberto can buy even a few decent minutes against O’Neal, that will be a plus – although I’m highly skeptical that is realistic. Offensively, Oberto’s jumper will need to find the bottom of the net. O’Neal and Stoudemire won’t respect his jumper so Oberto will get as many open looks as he wants. Making the Suns pay is imperative.

Kori's View: Like his Argentinean teammate, Fabricio Oberto is a playoff performer. He's not strong enough to guard O’Neal or athletic enough to guard Stoudemire, but he's savvy enough to do some good things and I know he won't give up. On the glass, he needs to try to pull down some more boards rather than just tapping them out. On offense, the Spurs will need Oberto to stick the jumper up top and cut with regularity when he doesn't have the ball.
IME UDOKA

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3501.jpg

LJ's View: Ime Udoka was signed this past offseason to be the team’s fifth swingman. All of a sudden, he’s a vital piece of the rotation heading into the playoffs. Udoka’s concentration coming into the series should be on rebounding. Since acquiring O’Neal, the Suns have gone from a horrible rebounding team to a very good rebounding team. Udoka is arguably the best rebounding perimeter player on the Spurs and he’ll need to go down low and scrap for boards. Defensively, he’ll likely find himself defending everyone from Nash to Hill. Pop may even put him on Stoudemire if the Spurs are to employ a small ball lineup. If Hill gets going in this series, it’ll be up to Udoka to slow him down. On offense, Udoka will need to take smart shots. Most of his looks will likely come from beyond the three-point line. The Spurs can’t afford for him to shoot less than 35% on threes in this series.

Kori's View: The main reason that I like the Ime Udoka acquisition is that it allowed Bowen to get a little more rest this season. In this series, he'll continue to spell Bowen, as well as get some minutes alongside of him in a small ball lineup. Like LJ, I believe Udoka will get some minutes on Hill because Finley may not be able to hang with Hill. My main problem with Udoka this season has been his shot selection. For the Spurs to run like a machine, their role players need to know their roles. At times this year, Udoka stepped out of his role offensively and the results weren't pretty. If he can stay aggressive on the glass, hold his own against Hill and knock down his threes, that's all the Spurs need.
KURT THOMAS

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3012.jpg

LJ's View: Kurt Thomas was on the other side of the fence at this point last year. Now the former Suns player will go up against his ex-team and will play an important role for the Spurs. Thomas should see a lot of time on the low blocks defending against O’Neal. If Thomas can get O’Neal to repeatedly shoot turnaround jumpers like he did in the season finale between these two teams, that’ll be a great accomplishment. Pulling down defensive rebounds will also be important for Thomas in each game. Offensively, like Oberto, Thomas will get a large number of open jumpers. If he can knock down those jumpers, he could score a lot of points in this series. The last game against the Suns, Thomas was missing his jumpers and Pop went away from him. That can’t happen in this series.

Kori's View: Kurt Thomas will see some time on O’Neal but I believe his biggest role in this series may be his ability to knock down his J's. If Parker and Ginobili penetrate and dish, their teammates have to hit their shots. With the Suns focusing their D on the Big Three, Thomas should be open early and often.
JACQUE VAUGHN

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3195.jpg

LJ's View: Jacque Vaughn was really bad for the Spurs last year in the playoffs against the Suns outside of a third quarter stretch in Game 6. San Antonio needs Vaughn to not be horrible this year. He doesn’t need to do anything great. If he can buy minutes for Parker, play aggressive defense and push the ball, that will be enough. Vaughn’s goal in this series should be to have a plus/minus of at least zero.

Kori's View: Though Parker is young, he can't play 48 minutes. In recent years, the Spurs have never had a stable back-up to Parker but that changed when Jacque Vaughn came on board. For the most part, Vaughn has done a decent job this season for what the Spurs expect of him. If he stays active defensively, maintains the tempo and takes care of the basketball, that's all they need.
BRENT BARRY

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3017.jpg

LJ's View: Brent Barry enters this series as a question mark. Can he help the Spurs? It’s tough to say decisively one way or the other. Although history does tell us that Barry plays very well against the Suns. If the Spurs get cold from beyond the arc, Barry will likely be called upon to hit some big shots. At one point in the series, you have to believe Pop will throw Barry out there to help a stagnant offense. If Barry can help, that’d be a huge plus. Defensively, it’s tough to expect much of anything from Barry at this point, especially with a still tender calf muscle.

Kori's View: I wasn't sure that Brent Barry would make it back to the court this season. Therefore, I was pleasantly surprised in the last couple regular season games. Barry's ball handling and three-point shooting were sorely missed and a big part of why the Spurs weren't as consistent this season. Though he's not in game shape yet, I'd imagine Barry will be back in the flow by the end of this series. His presence will help spread the floor and keep the ball moving, which is vital for the Spurs to be successful. When they have played poorly this season, the offense has been stagnant and the three-point shooting has been atrocious.
ROBERT HORRY

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/830.jpg

LJ's View: Robert Horry, the player who caused the most commotion in the series last year, enters this series about as quiet as possible. He is suffering from a knee injury that may or may not keep him out the entire series. The Spurs could definitely use him if he can get healthy enough. Although realistically, it’s tough to imagine Horry getting healthy enough and in rhythm enough to help San Antonio in this series.

Kori's View: I'm not a doctor, so I'm not going to say that Robert Horry isn't physically ready for the playoffs. With any luck, he's been just resting rather than rehabilitating. I have learned over the years not to doubt Horry. So until he hangs up his sneakers for good, I will firmly believe that he's still got game. At one point this series, we will have Spurs fans debating whether it's "Big Shot Rob" or "Big Shot Bob" because I believe that Horry has got one big shot left in him before he's done.
MATT BONNER & DAMON STOUDAMIRE

http://dcist.com/attachments/dcist_martin/Park%20Bench.jpg

LJ's View: Matt Bonner and Damon Stoudamire likely won’t see much action. In fact, if you are a Spurs fan, you should hope that you don’t see much of either player on the court. If you do, that means Pop has reached deep into his bag of tricks. Bonner’s ability to stretch the floor with his shooting would be valuable in theory, however I just don’t see how he’d survive defensively. Stoudamire should only be used if Vaughn simply becomes too much of a liability offensively.

Kori's View: The Spurs are either in real trouble or coasting to a blow out win if we see much action from Bonner and Stoudamire. I can see Pop using Bonner in some special situations, but it's not that likely. He has to scale down the rotation and these two should be out of the loop unless the Spurs are up (or down) big.
COACHING
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/gregg_popovich.jpghttp://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/mike_budenholzer.jpghttp://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/don_newman.jpghttp://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/brett_brown.jpghttp://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/chip_engelland.jpg

LJ's View: Pop really needs to have one of his best coaching series of his basketball life. The Suns are a multi-faceted club that is hard to prepare for and play against. And now with O’Neal changing the whole equation, it’s much easier for the Suns than the Spurs. The Suns and O’Neal are playing the same Spurs team they’ve faced countless times. The Spurs, on the other hand, have to attempt to tame a beast they haven’t encountered before.

Defensively is where I worry most about the Spurs. Pop needs to help Duncan stay out of foul trouble by smartly rotating him between O’Neal and Stoudemire. Pop needs to keep Oberto off of O’Neal as much as possible, while also putting Thomas on O’Neal as much as possible. Bowen on Nash is a Pop favorite, although Pop should be quick to alter the alignment if it isn’t working.

Offensively, it’s more up to the players to perform. Pop can’t make Duncan dominate O’Neal – only Duncan can make Duncan do that. Pop does need to call a lot of pick-and-rolls and continually insist that the Spurs push the pace on offense. Parker and Ginobili need to be aggressive and attack the rim as much as possible, which Pop should demand.

What wrinkles could Pop throw at the Suns? Small ball is possible but it could be suicide. If the Suns go small, countering with small ball makes sense. To try to small ball the Suns' starting lineup doesn't make sense. Sending double-teams to any one player on the Suns will likely be a mistake. Their three-point shooters and perimeter ball movement will make the Spurs pay for trying to double too frequently. Pick-and-rolls offensively should be a mainstay this series for the Spurs, however the guards must attack the rim and the bigs must be able to knock down jumpers. Otherwise, the pick-and-roll tactic could backfire and slow down the offense too much.

Kori's View: Since LJ rambled so much I'll just say one thing, Popovich > D'Antoni. :)
SERIES OVERVIEW

http://www.authenticbasketball.com/nba/logo_saspurs5.gifhttp://nbaweblog.com/photos/suns/images/original/2000-phoenix-suns-logo.aspx

LJ's View: Overall, this is going to be a very tough series. In 2005 and 2007, I was supremely confident in the Spurs’ ability to overcome the gimmicky Suns. Now, with the acquisition of O’Neal, the Suns no longer rely on gimmicks to win. The Suns have the ability, the personnel, the veteran know-how and the motivation to win this series.

That said, the Spurs definitely are capable of sending the Suns packing once again. It’ll come down to the Big Three playing well, the shooters knocking down their perimeter looks, Bowen harassing Nash and the duo of Oberto and Thomas helping Duncan handle O’Neal and Stoudemire. It won’t be easy, but it can be done.

Believe.

Kori's View: In past years, I wasn't sure that the Spurs could run with the Suns and I was pleasantly surprised to see how well they handled it. This season there is a new wrinkle in the plan in the form of Shaquille O'Neal. And though the Suns have the ability to win the series, they won't.

When it comes down to it, I'll put the Spurs Big The (plus Bowen) against any starting lineup in the league and bet on the Spurs every single time over a seven game series (Yes, that includes the Boston Celtics). Don't underestimate the importance of the Spurs playoff experience as a unit and don't doubt their desire to repeat.

Spurs in 6.

remingtonbo2001
04-18-2008, 07:25 AM
:tu

101A
04-18-2008, 07:53 AM
Nash = Weak Defense
Amare = Weak Defense
Shaq = Tough in the middle; can't defend the P&R

That is the bottom line in this series, IMO.

The last time a Shaq led team beat the Spurs in the playoffs, Shaq was FOUR years younger, the Glove was defending (a much less effective) Parker, Karl Malone was on Duncan, and Kobe Bryant was checking Manu, the Spurs center? Rasho! Not to mention Phil "9 rings" Jackson was the coach. THAT was the defense that Tim struggled against - it wasn't just "Shaq".

This Suns team, as built, has had less than 1/2 a season to build chemistry - offensively OR defensively.

This series in not going to be as tough as billed, or even as last season's.

Parker is going to go completely Ape-Shit crazy.

Spurs in 5.

florige
04-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Who the hell is LJ?

Larry Johnson dude...

florige
04-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Nash = Weak Defense
Amare = Weak Defense

The last time a Shaq led team beat the Spurs in the playoffs, Shaq was FOUR years younger, the Glove was defending (a much less effective) Parker, Karl Malone was on Duncan, and Kobe Bryant was checking Manu, the Spurs center? Rasho! Not to mention Phil "9 rings" Jackson was the coach. THAT was the defense that Tim struggled against - it wasn't just "Shaq".

This Suns team, as built, has had less than 1/2 a season to build chemistry - offensively OR defensively.

This series in not going to be as tough as billed, or even as last season's.

Parker is going to go completely Ape-Shit crazy.

Spurs in 5.

I'm getting the same feeling I had last year at this time. If we can get past Phx we will be going to the Finals. In a way I'm kinda glad we got this tough matchup in the first round. This I think could possibly be our biggest test outside of Boston. I'm not sold on any of the other teams besides maybe Dallas. Playoff time is different than the regular season.

Time to sweat bullets again.....:lobt2:

m33p0
04-18-2008, 08:17 AM
"I love the smell of napalm in the mornin'."

Amuseddaysleeper
04-18-2008, 08:28 AM
thanks for these thoughts guys.

Hopefully we can get a post series thoughts as well!

I'm ready for Saturday

pppp
04-18-2008, 08:46 AM
(...).And though the Suns have the ability to win the series, they won't.

(...)Don't underestimate the importance of the Spurs playoff experience as a unit and don't doubt their desire to repeat.

Spurs in 6.
Spurs in 6 indeed.

Slydragon
04-18-2008, 09:00 AM
:toast good read

1Parker1
04-18-2008, 09:08 AM
This series has to be Parker's to dominate. With Bell on Ginobili and Shaq on Duncan, that leaves a combo of an injured Grant Hill and a defensive challenged Nash on the team. Parker is good enough defensively I think to contain Barbosa on one end. On offense he should be able to get to wherever he wants. Sure Shaq clogs the lane, but he's still an Old Shaq with a hip injury. If Parker speeds up the tempo, he's going to be able to limit what Shaq can do defensively against the Spurs.

Spurs need that consistent 4th scorer whether it be Udoka, Finley, or Bowen who gives them an additional 10-12 points per game and makes 3 pointers.

Go Spurs Go! :)

1Parker1
04-18-2008, 09:10 AM
BTW Great combo analysis from Kori and LJ :tu

You guys could give Jeff McDonald a run for his money.

duncan228
04-18-2008, 09:14 AM
What a wonderful post to find first thing in the morning. Thank you both so much. There is so much out there on this series. It's great to have the personal touch you both bring to your insight on the Spurs. I appreciate the effort, and the humor that's mixed in.

Russ
04-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Shaq is the key. If he bottles up Duncan and/or puts too much "career fear" into the penetrators (TP and Manu), the Spurs could have problems. (See Games 3-5 Lakers/Spurs '04.)

The last two Spurs/Suns meetings were not encouraging.

The Spurs' one edge may be mental toughness (Amare and D'Antoni are still on their team after all). Does Shaq help remedy this shortcoming or make it worse?

In the end, nerve, will power, and a steely-eyed calm will prevail (well hopefully).

(Great series preview BTW)

michaelwcho
04-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Thank you, Kori and LJ.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Good stuff. With Horry gimped up I think Bonner might have a bigger role than we expect (or hope). He'd be a better matchup against Diaw than the wings that Boris was working over in the post in the last game. If God has a sense of humor Brent Barry will play the role of '03 Kerr, and knock down some big 3's with Steve Nash "defending" him.

Lebowski Brickowski
04-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Shaq is the key. If he bottles up Duncan and/or puts too much "career fear" into the penetrators (TP and Manu), the Spurs could have problems. (See Games 3-5 Lakers/Spurs '04.)

The last two Spurs/Suns meetings were not encouraging.

The Spurs' one edge may be mental toughness (Amare and D'Antoni are still on their team after all). Does Shaq help remedy this shortcoming or make it worse?

In the end, nerve, will power, and a steely-eyed calm will prevail (well hopefully).

(Great series preview BTW)

If Tony and Manu can run, there wont be any "Big 3 Second Violation" waiting in the paint to intimidate anyone!

Defensive rebound and RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN.

florige
04-18-2008, 10:07 AM
thbUkBW_ftM

You'd think timvp would mind Kori Ellis coauthoring an article with a former NBA player

But grandmama dude! Grandmama. If anybody's opinion I would value it would be his.

Oh and for the record I was joking...lol

loveforthegame
04-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Good read.

I hope Finley can continue to do what he's been doing as of late. I want to see him hit those 3's but I hope he doesn't go back to just parking himself on the line.

I think Thomas will need to be a factor offensively as well. He'll get those open shots on the baseline all he wants so he's going to need to nail them.

Russ
04-18-2008, 10:12 AM
If Tony and Manu can run, there wont be any "Big 3 Second Violation" waiting in the paint to intimidate anyone!

Defensive rebound and RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN.

Agreed. But I'm worried about outlets to Shaq after made baskets.

midgetonadonkey
04-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Who the hell is LJ?

He's my bff.

YoMamaIsCallin
04-18-2008, 10:22 AM
The Spurs winning formula against the Suns has been to try to control Nash's assists out to the 3-point line, even to the point of Amare running wild, and to stop the Suns from having that third good scorer. And if that doesn't work, hope that 2 out of the Spurs big 3 has a great game. And, more than anything, stay healthy... the Spurs need every one of their players to be ready to compete.

Now that Shaq is in the picture and Marion's out, it's a bit different. They have to handle Nash the same way, but they definitely need to attack the rim early and often to try to get Shaq and/or Amare in foul trouble. The good news is that Bowen is now freed up to guard Nash, since Marion's out of the picture.

It's going to be a fun series to watch. As usual the media and announcers will get it all wrong, and talk about how great Shaq, Amare, and Nash are playing, ignoring their defensive lapses. They'll also play up the "dirty Spurs" angle ad nauseum.

It'll be great if the Spurs can be once again successful, and we rub the media and especially ESPN's noses in it.

romain.star
04-18-2008, 10:24 AM
woooo nice post tmvp !!

DarrinS
04-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Quality post.

Here's a thought.

The Suns made a trade that obviously was meant to help them get past the Spurs. Wouldn't it be ironic if the Spurs beat them at their previous style of run-and-gun and basically ran them out of the gym? If the Spurs run a slow, half-court offense and pass it to Tim in the low block (while everyone else stands around and watches), this will be a short series and the Suns will win. Just my opinion.

wildbill2u
04-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Rethinking the offensive strategy:

They bring in Shaq to compete with our slow-down half-court play and clog the lane against TP and Many. His acquisition and the loss of Marion make their running game less potent.

We can play fast break basketball. Duncan and the team should start off the series running like they did against the Jazz in the final game. Ordinarily I'd think Duncan's ability to run was limited at best, but he showed there is still some gas in the tank.

We should get some looks at a five on four game while the fat man steams slowly down the court. Tire Shaq out and he becomes less effective on offense and defense.

urunobili
04-18-2008, 10:46 AM
i won;t panic even if we lose game one as in the last 3 championship runs

Popo>Phil
04-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Little worried about Ime, will he be panic in shooting in such big series?

team-work
04-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Thank you for much for the series thoughts, & the new-look forum!

Russ
04-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Little worried about Ime, will he be panic in shooting in such big series?

Ime could be the intangible in this series. If Ime = Hedo in crunch time, Spurs likey lose.

rAm
04-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the breakdown!

To be honest, I wouldn't mind a little more violence and controversy in this series! :ihit

You know the teams hate each other, lets let the true emotions out! :bang

Supreme_Being
04-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Very nice post, indeed. Thanks timvp/Kori!

BillsCarnage
04-18-2008, 12:12 PM
He's my bff.
Boyfriend forever??? EEEK!

:lmao

T Park
04-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Great rundown.

Kurt Thomas should get a crap load of minutes, and Oberto should play when Diaw is in there. Oberto can easily guard Diaw and can post him up pretty well on the other end.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-18-2008, 12:44 PM
I think this Suns team is less capable of winning against the spurs on a seven games series than that of last year. Main reason is they aren't capable of running as before as Marion is no longer with them. Nobody seems to be talking about this but enhancing Shaq's presence. I think with Marion the spurs had trouble stopping their run and Bowen had to be split between him and Nash defensively.

If I'm correct, Pop already realized he has to change the recipe to beat the Suns a little bit now. I don't want to count Hill out as he may get hot and start hitting everything, that's an x-factor but in that case Udoka will have to be attached to him with glue.

I don't think the spurs will have a problem winning in 6 or even less. I repeat, I think this Suns team is weaker than that of 2007.

Bruno
04-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Nice post.

I think Barry could be the surprise of this series and play a significant role.

Spurs have no one to stay in front of Parker. Their best way to stop him is to collapse on his penetrations. Having a shooter like Barry will be deadly. Barry main weakness is his defense but it won't be a big deal against Suns because Barry can be hidden on players like Bell or Giricek.

J.T.
04-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Who the hell is LJ?

It took me so long to find out, but I found out.

boutons_
04-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Good work, kids. Ya otta get paid for it.

I simply can't believe a Duncan Spurs, healthy, would go out in the first round, period. Unimaginable. Gonna be a great series. It's the Spurs' series to lose.

( I bought plenty of fireworks last 1 Jan for these playoffs, set off at the end of each Spurs' advance. )

T Park
04-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Yeah, Finley needs to bring his brain and his A game.

His defense needs to be GOOD, not Dallas good, but SA good, on Grant Hill. Hill's injury might help the old goat out a little.

Hemotivo
04-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Nice post.

I think Barry could be the surprise of this series and play a significant role.

SUNS have no one to stay in front of Parker. Their best way to stop him is to collapse on his penetrations. Having a shooter like Barry will be deadly. Barry main weakness is his defense but it won't be a big deal against Suns because Barry can be hidden on players like Bell or Giricek.

Barry and KT are the key for the spurs to win

MaNuMaNiAc
04-18-2008, 01:46 PM
I agree we need Manu is be Supermanu again, but I'm not entirely convinced he's going to have a good series against the Suns. I think this is Tony's all the way. The Suns have absolutely no answer for his penetration and this is something Pop should take advantage to no end.

dmac
04-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Larry Johnson dude...

Grand ma-ma?

DAF86
04-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Duncan needs to grow a pair and step up, he's been playing like a sissy against Shaq. If he changes this (he's going to do it) we should be allright.

P.S: What do you think about this?: Instead of playing Tim in the low post, what if we insolate him against Shaq and let him attack the rim off the dribble. I don't see how Shaq could stop that.

SpursFan0728
04-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Nice series thoughts, thanks!

The only point i might have to disagree with is Bonner. Pop tends to play him more when spurs' offense is struggling. I m sure he'll play some minutes during the playoff run unless Horry comes back healthy.

:flag:

Fabbs
04-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Ginobili did take the ball to the rack and should have gotten foul(s) racked up on Shaq. Reffing is going to figure into this series.

"If Phoenix goes small we should go small." timvp what are you talking about?
Did you see what a disaster that was on the reg season finale with Amare and Shaq on the bench and us leading by 9?

I agree with Kori about Duncan running the floor. If he runs up and down both on O and D we win in the duration.

boutons_
04-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Even with Shaq helping in the paint, Suns defense is at very best spotty. Spurs should score at will if they bring what the they brought against the Jazz.

When the Spurs run like they did against the Jazz, Shaq will be MIA on Suns' fastbreak/transition "defense", Spurs will get a lot of easy points, but they got to hit their shots, well above 40%.

DarrinS
04-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Hopefully, the Spurs can exploit

Suns shitty transition D
The Fatass Cactus not being able to run (for long periods)
Amare getting dumb fouls and losing his cool
Mike D'Antoni's coaching ability

timvp
04-18-2008, 05:07 PM
"If Phoenix goes small we should go small." timvp what are you talking about?
Did you see what a disaster that was on the reg season finale with Amare and Shaq on the bench and us leading by 9?The Suns never went small in that game. They aren't small as long as they have two of Stoudemire, O'Neal, Skinner and Diaw in the game.

If the Suns stay big, Pop needs to stay big. It hurt the Spurs in the last game when Pop went small when Diaw entered the contest. There's no reason to go small against Diaw. Let a big guard him and force him to hit jumpers.

However, if the Suns trot out a lineup featuring Stoudemire and four small or O'Neal and four small, I fully expect Pop to go with small ball. And really, I can't blame him. I don't want to see Oberto or Thomas trying to defend someone like Hill.

T Park
04-18-2008, 05:14 PM
The Suns never went small in that game. They aren't small as long as they have two of Stoudemire, O'Neal, Skinner and Diaw in the game.

If the Suns stay big, Pop needs to stay big. It hurt the Spurs in the last game when Pop went small when Diaw entered the contest. There's no reason to go small against Diaw. Let a big guard him and force him to hit jumpers.

However, if the Suns trot out a lineup featuring Stoudemire and four small or O'Neal and four small, I fully expect Pop to go with small ball. And really, I can't blame him. I don't want to see Oberto or Thomas trying to defend someone like Hill.

Agreed, Oberto and Thomas can guard Stoudamire and Diaw.

STAY BIG if they stay big.

Sigz
04-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Believe.

Fabbs
04-18-2008, 05:37 PM
The Suns never went small in that game. They aren't small as long as they have two of Stoudemire, O'Neal, Skinner and Diaw in the game.
Wait a minute. i thought was a spell where Snaq and Stoudamire were on the bench, maybe a couple times. One we were up by 9.

Yeah, depending on the situation this is where Ime or even Barrdog (if nailing treys) can come up big. Flip side is can Hill guard Oberto or Thomas. Well, i guess with Fabs lack of O and Thomas relative immobility, yes Hill could.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Creer.

SouthernFried
04-18-2008, 06:00 PM
If Duncan continually tries to score against Shaq...this series is lost. He'll force shots and make Shaq look like he's 20 again.

Movement on and off the ball is the key to this series. Manu, TP and Finley need to step up, and Duncan needs to be patient...especially on offense. If the ball goes through Duncan on O, he needs to be a distributer and not a scorer.

Looking for Duncan to have big offensive games against Shaq is a big mistake, imho. He can have great games in this series, if he's not forcing the issue to proove himself. If he keeps Shaq out of the paint on the offensive end...Manu and TP will have a field day.

Everyone's looking at this like a Duncan vs Shaq matchup.

It's not.

It's a Spurs vs Suns matchup.

DDS4
04-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Recipe for TD:

Shaq guarding: face the basket, use quickness to get by Shaq or draw fouls.

Amare guarding: back to the basket and back him down; since the double team will most likely come, it will open up the 3-point line.

Kori Ellis
04-18-2008, 06:02 PM
I've been trying to get timvp to podcast with me about the Spurs, but he isn't willing. So collaborative articles are the best we can do for now.

I think I'll just start taping our sports talks without him knowing and then publish. :lol

WildcardManu
04-18-2008, 06:23 PM
We should get some looks at a five on four game while the fat man steams slowly down the court. Tire Shaq out and he becomes less effective on offense and defense.

Very true, TP-Manu fastbreaks even if they don't score, but the point would be to wear out Snaq Attaq

duncan228
04-18-2008, 06:38 PM
I've been trying to get timvp to podcast with me about the Spurs, but he isn't willing. So collaborative articles are the best we can do for now.

It's always the talented ones that want to lay low. The idiots spout off nationally.

You both write so well. It's a privilege to have ST, I'm glad timvp is comfortable letting us read his stuff.

Cherry
04-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Wouldn't it be ironic if the Spurs beat them at their previous style of run-and-gun and basically ran them out of the gym?

:eyebrows

foodie2
04-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Nash = Weak Defense
Amare = Weak Defense

What he said. I was thinking the same thing about the Suns' weak-ass defense. The Spurs may not win this series, but I think if they don't, they will either lose because of foul trouble or because of a stagnant offense, not because the Suns limit them in any way.

Spurs Brazil
04-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Great read

For me the keyword in this series is attack

TD must attack Shaq and Manu and TP must attack all the time

Spurs in 7

dbreiden83080
04-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the thoughts Kori and LJ very well done indeed. I don't know what to make of this series. Throughout the history of the NBA certain teams going for championships had those humps they either got over and ascended to the top or never quite got past. I am wondering is this the year the Suns finally get over that hump that is the Spurs or do we deny them yet again, maybe for the last time as this Suns group is constructed. Are we deep enough. healthy enough and dare i say it hungry enough to put these guys down again that want to beat us more than anything after what happened last year?? My gut feeling says yes we can do it one more time, i hope i'm right.

Go Spurs Go!!

nfg3
04-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Great rundown guys! Thanks for everything that both of you have done for us at ST this year.

Great points from all of you about this series. Personally I always felt that when the Spurs consistently move the ball with their motion O everything seems to fall into place and they're virtually unbeatable. It's when they stand around holding the ball everything starts to fall apart and we become stagnant. I've felt that the Spurs O is based on our ability to outposition the other team thereby creating the open shots. Only TP and Manu really have the ability to create their shots while everyone else needs the ball in "their" spot. If the Spurs focus on this then we're in good shape.

Believe

:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt2:

:flag:

wildchild
04-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Series Thoughts: Spurs vs. Suns Preview
By LJ & Kori Ellis

FABRICIO OBERTO

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3988.jpg

LJ's View: Fabricio Oberto’s role in this series will be interesting. To date, Oberto has shown absolutely no ability to defend O’Neal. O’Neal's combination of size and strength has just been too much for Oberto. And since that is unlikely to change at this point, Oberto will need to attempt to slow down Stoudemire. While he’ll obviously be at an athletic disadvantage, he needs to at least stay in front of him and force Stoudemire to hit contested jumpers. Oberto’s goal in each game should be to not allow Stoudemire to dunk the ball. If Oberto can buy even a few decent minutes against O’Neal, that will be a plus – although I’m highly skeptical that is realistic. Offensively, Oberto’s jumper will need to find the bottom of the net. O’Neal and Stoudemire won’t respect his jumper so Oberto will get as many open looks as he wants. Making the Suns pay is imperative.

Kori's View: Like his Argentinean teammate, Fabricio Oberto is a playoff performer. He's not strong enough to guard O’Neal or athletic enough to guard Stoudemire, but he's savvy enough to do some good things and I know he won't give up. On the glass, he needs to try to pull down some more boards rather than just tapping them out. On offense, the Spurs will need Oberto to stick the jumper up top and cut with regularity when he doesn't have the ball

Oberto can not guard Shaq when O'Neal has Oberto on him the best possible outcome for Oberto is if he can flop his way to an offensive foul.Otherwise, O'Neal is going to get on easy shot, draw foul, injure Oberto or do a combination of those three things

Oberto inexplicably seems to defend Amare pretty well...Oberto seems to do a surprisingly good job against Stoudemire

Why not put Duncan over O'neal, and Oberto on Amare for few minutes at start of the game?

Oberto always plays a good D on Amare. Stoudemire can't play D? good news for Oberto's cutting/picks.

If Tim can manage stay out foul troubles in those minutes before Oberto sit and Thomas in, sounds like a good plan.

BRENT BARRY

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3017.jpg

LJ's View: Brent Barry enters this series as a question mark. Can he help the Spurs? It’s tough to say decisively one way or the other. Although history does tell us that Barry plays very well against the Suns. If the Spurs get cold from beyond the arc, Barry will likely be called upon to hit some big shots. At one point in the series, you have to believe Pop will throw Barry out there to help a stagnant offense. If Barry can help, that’d be a huge plus. Defensively, it’s tough to expect much of anything from Barry at this point, especially with a still tender calf muscle.

Kori's View: I wasn't sure that Brent Barry would make it back to the court this season. Therefore, I was pleasantly surprised in the last couple regular season games. Barry's ball handling and three-point shooting were sorely missed and a big part of why the Spurs weren't as consistent this season. Though he's not in game shape yet, I'd imagine Barry will be back in the flow by the end of this series. His presence will help spread the floor and keep the ball moving, which is vital for the Spurs to be successful. When they have played poorly this season, the offense has been stagnant and the three-point shooting has been atrocious

I was glad to see the Barry's 3 return. The Spurs 'll need Mike, Barry, Ime in the perimeter against the Suns and with traffic in the paint 'cause the key against the Suns is our offense. Defensively and in the team D mod, we can stop them.

Spurs in 6.

SPARKY
04-18-2008, 10:51 PM
The Spurs will benefit from the minutes they get from Barry and Horry. Barry helps the offensive flow. Horry is one crafty mofo. Both are needed behind the arc. The Spurs have really missed both this season. If they are able to contribute in a meaningful way then the Spurs will repeat.

slayermin
04-19-2008, 12:50 AM
With Shaquille O’Neal now on their side, Phoenix is now a bigger, stronger and undoubtedly hungrier unit – both literally and figuratively.

:lol

Very nice preview.

I think the Spurs will win this series because it is the first round. They will be fresh and ready to play.

What worries me is the physical toll they will have to pay. Hopefully, everything works out for us.

Spurs Brazil
04-19-2008, 08:59 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA20080419.09D.BKNspurs.keys.388a8c9.html

Spurs' keys to victory

Web Posted: 04/18/2008 10:47 PM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Don't get lost in transition
Contrary to popular belief, the acquisition of a certain large, lumbering center did not slow down the Suns' running game much. Surprisingly, the Suns' scoring average went up nearly a full point — to 110.6 points per game — with Shaquille O'Neal in the fold.

With Steve Nash at the controls, the Suns' offense can still run like a racecar. Adding to the danger, Phoenix's fastbreaks often result in wide-open 3-pointers, not layups.

The challenge is clear for the Spurs' defenders: Bring your running shoes, and try to keep up.

Pitch Nash curve balls

When it comes to defending the Suns' pick-and-roll, would the Spurs prefer Nash to keep the ball and take perimeter jumpers? Or would they like the ball out of Nash's hands altogether?

The answer is both. And neither.

Nash is one of the best pick-and-roll point guards in NBA history. The Spurs can't let him get too comfortable.

They must attack Nash in a variety of ways, mixing up defenses to keep him on his toes. If Nash is allowed to regularly pick his own poison, it will be a long series for the Spurs.

Make them double Duncan

The Suns seem comfortable taking their chances with O'Neal guarding Duncan one-on-one in the post. Duncan's mission is to make them regret it.

That doesn't necessarily mean Duncan should feel compelled to score 30 points a game — though the Spurs would certainly take it. However, if Duncan can continually beat O'Neal, it should give rise to scoring opportunities for other players elsewhere.

If O'Neal is successful in holding down Duncan, and the Suns can get away without double-teaming him, it will be difficult for the Spurs to score enough to keep pace.

- Jeff McDonald

boutons_
04-19-2008, 09:17 AM
The must play every Suns game as they did to crush the Jazz.

On to Round 2.

The Jazz@ATT, Game 82, game was unstoppable Championship basketball.

polandprzem
04-19-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm sorry for tnot reading everything on this thread but I never learned a fast reading. 2 milios articles plus bilion users making gazilion thoughts.

Anyway more then anything all those gajme plans and strategy is not that important. The screenrolls the jumper are ofcourse importnat but mostly is the mental stuff.

D'Antoni might not be the best coach in the NBA but he is not the worst either, but he has got help right now from Shaq who's been with the best and has high bball IQ and he knows what it takes to win. Another guy is Grant Hill who desperatly wants championship and always during important games tries to motivate his teammates, add Pissed off Nash and Amares talent you have to believe in toughness hat the spurs with their knowledge and experience can break through.

Two last contest they were demolished in that aspect more then anything and all those mistakes on jumpers and not making the plays correctly and Tim having some kind of mental block because the colosus Shaq is standing there ... umm I mean time for playoffs and adjusting.
Spurs need to get of the gate quicly and set for jumpers early on (Finley), that would give much confidence and more versitality to the game of the spurs.

REBOUNDS - without them and making shots spurs are lost.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-19-2008, 09:32 AM

I think I'll just start taping our sports talks without him knowing and then publish. :lol

:lol

bigfundamental21
04-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the thought, LJ & Kori!

I am pumped for this series. This is the best first round matchup of all the series! I fully expect us to win it. It will be a tough long series and a great one to watch.

BELIEVE

Texas_Ranger
04-19-2008, 09:48 AM
great!

BonnerDynasty
04-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Bonner will carry that bench to the finals and paint it in champaign.

NASpurs
04-19-2008, 10:39 AM
suns will sweep this pathatic team they are a bunch of old farts nothing more DOWN WITH THE EVIL EMPIRE

But I thought you were a Spurs fan?! Dumbass.

peewee's lovechild
04-19-2008, 10:45 AM

I agree completely.

peewee's lovechild
04-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Damn, I can't wait for this to start!!!!

polandprzem
04-19-2008, 10:54 AM

Do a LJ from a carton with moving lips and then persuade somebody to dubb him.