PDA

View Full Version : TP most under-rated NBA player - Dupree

Rummpd
01-18-2005, 02:05 PM
Talking underrated? Don't forget Parker
By David DuPree, USA TODAY
Tony Parker of the San Antonio Spurs is my pick as the most underrated player in the NBA.

Tony Parker is averaging 15.4 points and 5.9 assists for the San Antonio Spurs.
By Eric Gay, AP

Readers, however, in response to last week's question as to who is the most underrated player in the league, were torn between Larry Hughes of the Washington Wizards and Shawn Marion of the Phoenix Suns. Andrei Kirilenko of the Utah Jazz, Rashard Lewis of the Seattle SuperSonics, Mo Peterson of the Toronto Raptors, Corey Maggette of the Los Angeles Clippers and Kirk Hinrich of the Chicago Bulls also got considerable recognition.

I went with Parker for a number of reasons. Everyone knows the Spurs revolve around Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili is the crowd favorite and Bruce Bowen gets credit for being perhaps the NBA's best perimeter defender.

But Parker runs the show.

He became the starting point guard as a teenager. During the last three seasons the Spurs have won more games than any other team in the league, in large part because of Parker. He makes big shots, runs the screen-and-roll play with Duncan as well as any two players in the league and is a fearless competitor at 6-2 and 175 pounds.

In selecting Marion, Dylan Graham of Phoenix pointed out that Marion is in the top 10 among league leaders in 14 categories.

"With all the attention paid to both Amare Stoudemire and Steve Nash this season, Marion has been left out by the national media," Graham said. "His ability to get up and down the floor quickly is an intricate part of the Suns' rapid-paced offense. He has become a great defender who has had to match up with guys much bigger than he is."

Hughes, who is out for four to six weeks with a broken thumb, has been the unsung Wizard behind Washington's success, said Darryl Hardin of Tampa. "He plays hard every night, is a fantasy stud, and you never hear a bad thing about (him)," Hardin said.

In picking Chauncey Billups of the Detroit Pistons, Mike Wolf of Grand Rapids, Mich., said, "He's not afraid to fail and makes plays when it counts most."

George A. Thompson of New York City said he likes Indiana Pacers guard Jamaal Tinsley's style.

"The guy receives no credit," Thompson said. "He's asked to limit his game so much. He can do a lot more, but he's not allowed the freedom in which to do it and he doesn't seem to mind."

The all-around play of Sacramento Kings center Brad Miller particularly impressed John Halverson of Janesville, Wis. "He scores 15, hits 50% from the field and grabs 10 rebounds a game," Halverson said. "Plus he's the best free throw shooting and passing center in the league. And while he's no great athlete, he leads the Kings in blocked shots, takes up space inside and plays smart and hard

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2005-01-17-one-on-one_x.htm

If end of year, Parker at 18+ and 6 or 7 and Spurs go to championship round again I will definetely agree.

MadDoc

exstatic
01-18-2005, 02:31 PM
How can Shawn Marion be underrated? Or Kirilenko? Haven't they been to All Star games? I agree with Mo Pete, though. He will definitely have a chance to shine in Toronto now that Airless Canada is gone. He's just got a real nice all around game. I think of Mo, and the phrase "Spurs material" just pops into my head. It's a wonder that he and that idiot Jason Richardson came from the same fine program at Michigan State.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Dupree must love Parker. He wrote two articles kissing his butt last year too. :)

T Park
01-18-2005, 04:13 PM
isnt the name Dupree, french??

just kidding.

I agree with him that Brad Miller is the most underrated big man in the NBA today.

Whats weird, Rasho has his best games against him this year, and Miller hasnt done squat against him.

Very strange.

SpursWoman
01-18-2005, 04:17 PM
How can Shawn Marion be underrated? Or Kirilenko?

That's kind of what I was thinking.....I thought those 2 usually got a lot of props from around the league.

T Park
01-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Kirilenko kinda goes under the radar, and with Nash and Stoudamire going in Phoenix, Marion has slipped undera little bit too.

So I can see where hes coming from.

ShoogarBear
01-18-2005, 04:24 PM
isnt the name Dupree, french??

:lol

Brodels
01-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Mo Peterson? Yuck. I wouldn't want him on my team.

He's got a legit argument with Parker. If we're talking about the Parker of the last month or so, I could see how many could underappreciate what he does.

exstatic
01-18-2005, 05:50 PM
What's your beef with Mo Pete, Brodels? Just curious.

Brodels
01-18-2005, 06:18 PM
What's your beef with Mo Pete, Brodels? Just curious.

I just think that he likes to shoot the ball a little too much. He's got some good offensive skills, but he doesn't know when he should hold back and not pull the trigger. I just don't think he has the feel for the game that a lot of other players have. He's always around 40%, and he could get that number up if he didn't take so many bad shots.

I know he's forced to score now more than ever because Vince is gone, but in my opinion he just isn't a smart scorer and he really isn't great at any other facet of the game.

I don't have any hate for him or anything and I recognize that he's got some serious offensive talent, I just don't care much for his game. It can be said that some players are too cerebral, but with Mopete, it just seems like he isn't cerebral enough.

timvp
01-18-2005, 06:20 PM
I thought the "Yuck" was in reference to Mo Pete being sued for giving a girl herpes.

ShoogarBear
01-18-2005, 08:08 PM
I thought the "Yuck" was in reference to Mo Pete being sued for giving a girl herpes.

Maybe that's also by what he meant by "don't want him on my team".

(Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

RobinsontoDuncan
01-18-2005, 09:03 PM
Lebron James. as long as there are people saying Kobe is the best 2 in the game then Lebron is underrated.

ALVAREZ6
01-18-2005, 09:13 PM
Lebron James. as long as there are people saying Kobe is the best 2 in the game then Lebron is underrated.
And as long as they are saying Lebron is the best, Manu is underrated. :smokin :smokin :smokin

Brodels
01-18-2005, 09:52 PM

Maybe that's also by what he meant by "don't want him on my team".

(Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

:rollin

T Park
01-18-2005, 10:00 PM
nd as long as they are saying Lebron is the best, Manu is underrated.

If only Ginobili could be a a 50th what Lebron James is.

ALVAREZ6
01-18-2005, 10:02 PM
If only Ginobili could be a a 50th what Lebron James is.
How bout no.

If only Lebron could be half of Manu.

Manu > LBJ

timvp
01-18-2005, 10:06 PM
I'd trade Parker, Manu, Devin, Rasho, Malik and Bowen for LeBron James.

Let's be real.

T Park
01-18-2005, 11:56 PM
I agree TIMVP.

Lebron could surpass Jordan.

Jordan wasnt this good at 20.

If he doesnt get caught up in broads, or drugs, hell be the greatest to ever play.

Autumnleaf
01-19-2005, 01:39 AM
TP has long been under-rated, not like Manu:P
not i am not sure he is the most under-rated one:)

Nikos
01-19-2005, 01:46 AM

Let's be real.

Well obviously. But there might be a point where if one assumes Lebron will be almost as good as MJ, then I would trade Bron for Duncan + Parker + Manu.

Jordan was pretty good.

NZ Spurs
01-19-2005, 03:50 AM
I agree TIMVP.

Lebron could surpass Jordan.

Jordan wasnt this good at 20.

If he doesnt get caught up in broads, or drugs, hell be the greatest to ever play.

Kobe Bryant was better than Jordan at 20. Lebron is great and going to get better but he won't be better than Jordan.

toosmallshoes
01-19-2005, 04:45 AM
we had all better hope that lebron approaches jordan-like dominance. the NBA needs a new marquee after Kobe's crash landing. He's the freshest thing to come along since mj started winning championships. He's Magic Johnson and michael jordan mixed together. now if only he could get a bit more larry bird in him. he has the skill and desire. he needs the outside shot and the self sacrifice. then he'll be the best player ever... not to mention he needs some slight teammate upgrades to reach his potential.

TheWriter
01-19-2005, 05:08 AM

Let's be real.

Everyone there except Tony. I'd trade. Why trade Tony? Who'd be our point? Beno, sure... but I'd think a backcourt of Tony and Lebron would be deadly, not to mention Tim doing his thing. Then you bring in Beno with Lebron in the second qt and a lot of the 3rd.

:smokin

Tony
Lebron
Linton
Scola
Tim

82-0 anybody? :hat