PDA

View Full Version : Suns Expect Physical Series With Spurs

duncan228
04-18-2008, 01:14 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/04/17/20080417sunsside0418.html

Suns expect physical series with Spurs
The Arizona Republic

By the time this basketball bloodbath, er, first-round playoff series, ends, Phoenix and San Antonio might have played each other as many as 20 times since November 2006.

Familiarity breeds contempt . . . and wounds. The wounds are physical and emotional, particularly when the Suns have taken a literal and figurative beating from the Spurs until this season.

"It's going to be knockdown, drag-out," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "We're going to have to beat them and beat them solid."
Suns guard Steve Nash is the target of much of the physical play. Spurs guard Bruce Bowen, a top backcourt defender, tries to wear down Nash. Bowen applies in-your-face, and even in-your-groin, defense to Nash. He tenaciously grates on guards' nerves with tactics Amaré Stoudemire called "dirty" last season.

D'Antoni was asked about the way Bowen defended Nash after Game 3 last year. D'Antoni wadded up a summary sheet and said, "If that's the way everyone wants it, we'll play that way, too," before exiting.

Nash keeps his complaints on Bowen's hands-on approach to a minimum. He even said he enjoyed last year's Suns-Spurs series, immortalized by his nose's bloody gash in Game 1.

"I think it (Bowen's defense) is a great challenge," Nash said. "It's kind of a little game within the game, so I enjoy that.

"I grew up playing hockey and rugby so this is nothing. Basketball is like nothing compared to soccer even. Growing up in soccer, the other team's mucker (is) trying to break your leg every game as 12-year-olds. You grow up, and you become somewhat immune or used to that."

Does Nash deem the style dirty or aggressive?

"I think it's both, but I respect that," he said. "I think it's good. He (Bowen) does what he can to make himself effective, and that's good."

D'Antoni said he did not think Robert Horry's hip check into Nash was calculated enough to have been intended to draw suspensions. But he said Horry's flagrant foul and Bowen's elbow into Stoudemire last week were late-game messages in Suns wins.

"He hip-checked to say, 'Hey, we're not going anywhere; We're here,' " D'Antoni said. "Then, it's how we react to that.

"There was a message (in Bowen's elbow) that, 'We're still here.' There's a message in how they do everything. It could be a blocked shot. It could be a rebound. Their message is they're proud and they're tough."

D'Antoni said he expected San Antonio "gamesmanship" in this series.

"You're still going to hate them," D'Antoni said. "You still have a scar there. But if we played New Orleans, I would hate them, too. Competition overrides everything."

The most physical clash might be in the post, where Shaquille O'Neal has fortified Phoenix's interior muscle and held Tim Duncan to 15-of-40 shooting in two Suns wins with him. In games over the previous three seasons, Duncan went 24 for 57 (42 percent) from the field when he and O'Neal played.

D'Antoni said Stoudemire begins games on Duncan because O'Neal said, "I don't start with him. I finish with him."

"We also have to make Mr. Duncan play defense," O'Neal said.

"It ain't going to be a one-sided thing where Tim's just playing offense. Tim's going to have to play defense either way, whether he's guarding me or Amaré. I always tell Amaré that guys that try to go at you and get you in foul trouble, reciprocate it and do the same thing."

rAm
04-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Pretty classy responses from D'Antoni, I expected less.

Strike
04-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Everyone from the Suns is saying all the right things. Wait until the Spurs win a few games in the series and watch the :depressed, :madrun, :cry, and :dramaquee come back.

td4mvp21
04-18-2008, 01:21 PM
If Nash respects Bowen's game and looks forward to physicality, why does he and his team bitch incessantly about it?

ludda
04-18-2008, 01:23 PM
If Nash respects Bowen's game and looks forward to physicality, why does he and his team bitch incessantly about it?

Series hasn't started yet, they're feeling good about their regular season wins, confidence is high, they know to compliment the opponent.

Once some calls don't go their way, expect the bitching and whining to start. I'd expect no less.

ancestron
04-18-2008, 01:27 PM
this is going to be one hell of a series. I just hope no one gets killed.

Shaolin-Style
04-18-2008, 01:29 PM
I look forward to Amare getting suspended for throwing a tantrum over bowen playing defense on him.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Since the Suns STILL have never actually been in a "physical series" I'm not sure what the hell they are talking about.

The Suns series was the third most physical the Spurs had in the western conference playoffs last year.

td4mvp21
04-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Series hasn't started yet, they're feeling good about their regular season wins, confidence is high, they know to compliment the opponent.

Once some calls don't go their way, expect the bitching and whining to start. I'd expect no less.

That's a very accurate response, but my post was more of a rhetorical question :lol

Spurs whine too when calls don't go their way, however, they maintain composure and do not talk about it to the media. Can't say the same for the Suns (they'll have to work on that this series).

sasysmith
04-18-2008, 01:33 PM

lol, seriously! That includes the crazy fans in the stadium too! Alcohol and too much exsposure to sunlight in our Suns fans makes being in the US Airways Arena dangerous from time to time! O_O

And I really hope my guys stop whinning and just play -_- This "they're too rough!" attitude tends to get a bit old. Last time I checked basketball was a contact sport...

Vince
04-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Nash tends to act like a great sportsman off the court, but once he gets nailed in the groin or thrown to the floor he and D'antoni hold hands and cry about it...:fight

ludda
04-18-2008, 01:34 PM
That's a very accurate response, but my post was more of a rhetorical question :lol

Spurs whine too when calls don't go their way, however, they maintain composure and do not talk about it to the media. Can't say the same for the Suns (they'll have to work on that this series).

Yes Spurs do whine...but they don't bitch about it 3 months later, talking about strangers telling them how they got "robbed" and promoting that "we are the victims of a huge conspiracy" shit that the whole organization still embraces

Obstructed_View
04-18-2008, 01:36 PM

The only way someone gets killed is from the idiots in the stands throwing shit because they can't behave like adults.

to21
04-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Pre-series Shaq comments.

We'll see what he says after game 1.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3352033

td4mvp21
04-18-2008, 01:43 PM
Since the Suns STILL have never actually been in a "physical series" I'm not sure what the hell they are talking about.

The Suns series was the third most physical the Spurs had in the western conference playoffs last year.

Too true. I'd like to see the Suns play the 2005 Sonics or the 2005 Pistons as well.

The only way someone gets killed is from the idiots in the stands throwing shit because they can't behave like adults.

Yep. The Spurs will have to be careful of that when they go to Phoenix :rolleyes

AZLouis
04-18-2008, 01:53 PM
LOL @ Spurs fans posting about players complaining about calls/non-calls.

-----------------

With that said, this series is going to be a great one. With the end result likely being a Spurs series win in 6.

It's going to be exciting and the drama that has built up over the past few PO series' is definitely going to add flair.

Get ready for the perpetual Horry hip check, Suns bench, Nash bloody face, Bowen kicking Amare's feeting, Bowen elbowing Amare, Bowen getting physical with Nash replays until this series is over.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2008, 04:37 PM

What thread are you reading? :wtf

FromWayDowntown
04-18-2008, 04:42 PM

It reminds me of some media type asking Tim Duncan at some point during last year's series and whether it was among the most physical series he'd ever played in; Tim offered his instantaneous response asking if the reporter had seen the Denver series. That's about right. The sense of what is physical certainly varies by opponent, but the prevailing view of playoff physicality in the Suns camp seems to have little connection to the realities of playoff basketball.

Trainwreck2100
04-18-2008, 04:42 PM

-----------------

With that said, this series is going to be a great one. With the end result likely being a Spurs series win in 6.

It's going to be exciting and the drama that has built up over the past few PO series' is definitely going to add flair.

Get ready for the perpetual Horry hip check, Suns bench, Nash bloody face, Bowen kicking Amare's feeting, Bowen elbowing Amare, Bowen getting physical with Nash replays until this series is over.

Coupled with 80 House of Payne promos there will definitely be a nostalgia factor. Does anybody watch that show? Seriously, they won NAACP spirit awards, that's as surprising as Will & Grace winning the GLAAD awards.

timvp
04-18-2008, 05:45 PM
It reminds me of some media type asking Tim Duncan at some point during last year's series and whether it was among the most physical series he'd ever played in; Tim offered his instantaneous response asking if the reporter had seen the Denver series. That's about right. The sense of what is physical certainly varies by opponent, but the prevailing view of playoff physicality in the Suns camp seems to have little connection to the realities of playoff basketball.Exactly. Spurs vs. Suns series are usually soft series. It might change now that Shaq is involved but up until this point, "physical" is about the last adjective I'd use to describe 2005 or 2007.

timvp
04-18-2008, 05:47 PM
"He hip-checked to say, 'Hey, we're not going anywhere; We're here,' " D'Antoni said. "Then, it's how we react to that.Hopefully Nash again flops spread eagled into the scorer's table to entice his own teammates of the bench.

:hat

1Parker1
04-18-2008, 06:04 PM
This is getting so old. How is it that the bitching has already started about the "physical play" etc without the playoffs even starting?

Why is it that all these quotes are coming from the Suns camp and nothign from the Spurs? Suns are already playing like they're scared. Good to see some things don't change, even if you add a 330 pound beast.

Dirk41MVP
04-18-2008, 06:05 PM
From a maverick fan here, I wouldn't be so sure that SA will win the series, Phoenix's front court finally > your front court. TD hasn't showed in the games vs. Phoenix that he can still dominate that front court with O'neal there. Shaq plays good defense on him. It all comes down to TD, if he dominates like he always does, and is MVP-TD, the Suns have no chance, if he plays average, I will learn towards the fag solars.

Even though I still think SA will win the series, because I just don't buy into Phoenix's "defense", I wouldn't be so confident that it'd be an 'easy' series or wouldn't be worried about SA potentially losing it.... Should be a great one.

BonnerDynasty
04-18-2008, 06:17 PM
It's "physical" when we play teams like Utah.

It's "dirty" when we play the prom queens.

BonnerDynasty
04-18-2008, 06:18 PM
From a maverick fan here, I wouldn't be so sure that SA will win the series, Phoenix's front court finally > your front court. TD hasn't showed in the games vs. Phoenix that he can still dominate that front court with O'neal there. Shaq plays good defense on him. It all comes down to TD, if he dominates like he always does, and is MVP-TD, the Suns have no chance, if he plays average, I will learn towards the fag solars.

Even though I still think SA will win the series, because I just don't buy into Phoenix's "defense", I wouldn't be so confident that it'd be an 'easy' series or wouldn't be worried about SA potentially losing it.... Should be a great one.

Let's base TD's PLAYOFF performance on 2 regular season games! yipeeeeee

Suns fans are clinging to the above and I doubt that will be the outcome.

He's Tim Fucking Duncan. He WILL show up.

spursfan09
04-18-2008, 06:22 PM

That is what I'm saying. Timmy knows not to reveal too much during the reg. season. Why? Because its just the reg. season. Timmy is known for stepping up in the playoffs, not playing at the same level throughout. Thats why I tried to never bitch or complain about him. He usually comes through during the playoffs. He goes down fighting if anything.

duncan228
04-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Duncan "coasted" through this season more than he has before. I think it threw a lot of people off. Even I was beginning to wonder if he was hurt. But what we saw in the last couple of games proves my original instinct was right. Duncan will rise. And just like he coasted more this year he will rise more than he ever has. He has to. The West is the toughest it's been, and his window to repeat is starting to close. With Parker playing great and Manu seemingly healed, Duncan's chance to repeat is better now than it's been in previous defending years. He has a team around him that knows what it takes to get it done.

Duncan is going to be incredible. He's rested, he's healthy, and he's ready.

Bring it.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2008, 06:32 PM

If Phoenix' front court is so good, I don't understand why they are so blatantly whistling past the graveyard. Again.

FromWayDowntown
04-18-2008, 06:34 PM
That is what I'm saying. Timmy knows not to reveal too much during the reg. season. Why? Because its just the reg. season. Timmy is known for stepping up in the playoffs, not playing at the same level throughout. Thats why I tried to never bitch or complain about him. He usually comes through during the playoffs. He goes down fighting if anything.

I hope that's true. I hope that Pop's abnormal indifference to his team's poor play in the last few weeks is his belief that they've been keeping some strategic notions in reserve while offering relatively good efforts in important games.

I think the question that looms over the Spurs is how much has the fall off from first half to second half against Utah (the 64 point game), Phoenix, and LA a matter of minimalization of effort and how much is a matter of physical inability. I'm guessing, from Pop's disposition, that it's more of the former -- that this team has been keeping a lot in reserve. I think that's an extremely risky strategy and almost too CIA for me, but if I don't think that, then I have to accept that Pop's indifference is almost entirely a matter of his lack of belief in his team.

I would argue that no West team had a bigger gap between potential and performance in the last month of this season than the Spurs. We'll see in just a few hours whether that gap is a perception (their potential was low) or a reality (their performance was low).

If it's a matter of low performance and high potential -- my belief -- the Spurs will be scary.

Dirk41MVP
04-18-2008, 06:39 PM

Yeah, to you and all the rest of the morons around here, I said he hasn't showed he can do it yet. I didn't say he wouldn't show it. But those 2 games are the only indicator there is so far. You all act as if Phoenix was the same team as last year and TD can dominate both amare and o'neal like he did amare last year... And I'm not basing that O'neal vs. TD matchup on 2 games, O'neal has defended TD well over the years, you seem to forget this isn't shaquille's first time in the WC playoffs...

Furthermore, you seem to forget how Amare averaged 37 points against your boy TD a couple of years ago, without O'neal. Now he's got room to do his own thing and won't have to defend duncan on offense. He will be guarding Oberto or Thomas ffs!, so it wouldn't surprise me to see HIM go off as well..

Again, I like SA in the series because I think PHX's defense is crap and their offense was hurt by the presence of O'neal. But for all dumbasses on the board who think it will be a cakewalk or an easy victory like it's been the past few years, you are mistaken IMO... I don't see this series ending before 7 games

WildcardManu
04-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Furthermore, you seem to forget how Amare averaged 37 points against your boy TD a couple of years ago, without O'neal. Now he's got room to do his own thing and won't have to defend duncan on offense. He will be guarding Oberto or Thomas ffs!, so it wouldn't surprise me to see HIM go off as well..

That was the plan in 05 when amare averaged 37, lock everyone down and let him loose, what did that get them?

duncan228
04-18-2008, 06:50 PM
It was the game plan to let Amare get his in '05. I have Pop's quotes from before that series started somewhere...

Dirk41MVP
04-18-2008, 07:02 PM
While that might be true, Amare CAN get 'his' this series, even if you do or don't shut down everybody else... O'neal presence has freed him from rebounding/defending duties and he can rely on being the beast he is scoring.

Keep underestimating him and phoenix though and you won't be laughing when they sneak up and bite your spurs in the ass... I'm glad for the sake of your team, nobody around here is associated with the spurs or their decision-making. You guys truly are morons! :rollin

WildcardManu
04-18-2008, 08:07 PM
While that might be true, Amare CAN get 'his' this series, even if you do or don't shut down everybody else... O'neal presence has freed him from rebounding/defending duties and he can rely on being the beast he is scoring.

Keep underestimating him and phoenix though and you won't be laughing when they sneak up and bite your spurs in the ass... I'm glad for the sake of your team, nobody around here is associated with the spurs or their decision-making. You guys truly are morons! :rollin

Who is understimating them?

Borosai
04-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Spurs in 5. The only keepsakes the Suns will have are bruises.