PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News: Spurs In 7

duncan228
04-18-2008, 01:22 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=401522

West Matchup: No. 3 Spurs vs. No. 6 Suns
Nathaniel Friedman

How they match up:

With Shaq's arrival and the death of small ball in Phoenix, this matchup is no longer a clash of styles. Now, it's just a good, old-fashioned rivalry. The Suns took the season series 3-1, but it's the Spurs who are considered the more likely contenders. When they met on April 10, Phoenix came away with a convincing 96-79 victory. The increasingly dominant Amare Stoudemire spent some time sitting with foul trouble, so it was O'Neal whose big fourth quarter delivered the win.

Best player:

Still has to be Tim Duncan. Despite conserving his energy and pacing himself for a title run, Duncan's been dependable as ever at both ends of the floor. Now, it's time to get down to business; since there's no love lost between these teams, don't be surprised if aggressive Timmy peaks out a little. Oh, and he'll be guarded by Stoudemire, who still hasn't quite figured out defense.

Key matchup:

Spurs' depth vs. Suns' lack of depth. In theory, every game some random San Antonio veteran will make a key contribution. I'm looking at you, Michael Finley, Ime Udoka, or Damon Stoudamire. But if that doesn't happen, it won't make a difference that D'Antoni's afraid to play more than seven people in a playoff game, not all of whom can be on every single night.

Biggest mismatch:

Tony Parker vs. Steve Nash. Parker hasn't had his best year, but he finished strong and, let's face it, can abuse Nash. Phoenix used to use Marion on TP, or at least have him minimize the damage. Unfortunately, Shaq doesn't have that kind of versatility.

Scout's take:

I'm looking forward to this one and I won't even be working it. It's tough to know how much the Spurs actually were struggling toward the end of the season because they were resting guys. ... Shaq can expect the Spurs to run a lot of pick and rolls his way because he has trouble defending it. ... Watch to see if Mike D'Antoni's short bench in the regular season will leave the Suns worn down. Steve Nash plays so hard that reducing his time by a minute or two over the course of the season isn't going to make a difference. ... I like that Phoenix is playing with a chip on its shoulder, but I still give the Spurs a slight edge. Spurs in seven.

Did you know:

In 2005-06, Kurt Thomas came to Phoenix to win a championship. Now, he's on San Antonio trying to do the same.

Our prediction:

This is exactly why Phoenix made the trade, but the Spurs are still the Spurs. San Antonio in 7.

T Park
04-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Damn, I don't know if I could handle a winner take all Game 7 in ROUND 1.

Oy vey.

G-Nob
04-18-2008, 01:35 PM
all I can say is this series is going to give me diarrhea pants.

boutons_
04-18-2008, 01:39 PM
This will be an excruciating series if Spurs don't open 2-0.

Gotta undo the Suns' confidence from killing us @ATT in the last season series game.

With Shaq declining fast, the Suns gotta feel this is their best, last Shaq-assisted chance to get past the Spurs.

BiZNicK
04-18-2008, 02:54 PM
This has to be the most exciting series thus far in the playoffs...

Spurs have always owned Suns in the previous playoffs, and I know they'll do it again.

DarrinS
04-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Also picking spurs to repeat

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=powerpollpickingthespurs&prov=tsn&type=lgns

vanvannen
04-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Damn, I don't know if I could handle a winner take all Game 7 in ROUND 1.

Oy vey.

Are you quitting on the team?

:lol Sorry, couldn't help it.