PDA

View Full Version : Cutoff date for All-Star coaches

Kori Ellis
01-18-2005, 03:18 PM
The cutoff date to determine the All-Star coaches is February 6th.

I know that this was talked about in a few threads, so I just wanted to clarify.

BigVee
01-18-2005, 03:23 PM
Hmmm...8 more games...3 at home, 5 on the road.

boutons
01-18-2005, 03:31 PM
And 3 road games that are tossups against WC playoff teams, which the Spurs have done very poorly at so far, 1-6 overall, and 0-2 against this group:

Fri 21 @ Phoenix
Sun 23 @ Sacramento
Mon 31 @ Seattle

Rick Von Braun
01-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Question?

The coach of each All-Star team is chosen based on the best team records in each Conference, right?

In case of a tie, what is the tie breaker (i.e., head-to-head, conference record, div record, flip coin, etc.)?

Jimcs50
01-18-2005, 03:37 PM
Question?

The coach of each All-Star team is chosen based on the best team records in each Conference, right?

In case of a tie, what is the tie breaker (i.e., head-to-head, conference record, div record, flip coin, etc.)?

It is head to head first.

Then Conference record.

then division record if applies

then FT contest betw best FT shooter on each team. ( we are fucked)

sbsquared
01-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Coach Pop said he doesn't want to coach the All-Star game. I would think it would be because of all the prima donnas that don't know the concept of team basketball and he also knows that the All-Star game is looked upon as a showcase for spectacular dunks - not defense!!

Jimcs50
01-18-2005, 03:42 PM
Coach Pop said he doesn't want to coach the All-Star game. I would think it would be because of all the prima donnas that don't know the concept of team basketball and he also knows that the All-Star game is looked upon as a showcase for spectacular dunks - not defense!!

He is lying.

He would be honored to caoch the Allstar team...that is the last achievement missing on his resume.

exstatic
01-18-2005, 03:43 PM
And 3 road games that are tossups against WC playoff teams, which the Spurs have done very poorly at so far, 1-6 overall, and 0-2 against this group:

Fri 21 @ Phoenix
Sun 23 @ Sacramento
Mon 31 @ Seattle

If you're going to be negative (and you always are) at least get your facts straight. SA is 2-3 against your "group", not 0-2, beating both Sacto on opening day and Phoenix like a drum a few weeks ago.

Jimcs50
01-18-2005, 03:47 PM
If you're going to be negative (and you always are) at least get your facts straight. SA is 2-3 against your "group", not 0-2, beating both Sacto on opening day and Phoenix like a drum a few weeks ago.

I think boutons is on drugs, hallucinogenic ones at that.
:rolleyes

exstatic
01-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Oh, and your overall mark aginst the WC playoff teams is wrong, too. It's 6-6. Dumbass. Don't bring your weak ass negative smack if it ain't factual.

Houston 0-2
LAL 2-0
Memphis 0-1
Dallas 2-0
Sac 1-1
Phoenix 1-0
Seattle 0-2

6-6

BigVee
01-18-2005, 03:56 PM
I think he meant on the road.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2005, 03:56 PM
I think Boutons is giving the records for ROAD games against those teams.

boutons
01-18-2005, 04:18 PM
exstatic, you fuckiing illiterate dumbass. I said NOTHING about "overall", I said "road" and listed 3 such "@team" games before 6 Feb, to further clarify my point.

fucking ROAD games against "quality/playoff" teams, not ALL games, and not JUST WC, but EC,too (ORL).

Who could complain about Spurs league-best 1-loss home record? So I look elsewhere to see patterns in the Spurs losses, to see where/why they have failed, where the rest of season offers room for improvement, where the real "tests" are, in the runup to the playoffs.

(Although the SEA loss @SBC is also grounds for complaining, was a Spurs giveaway to a top (WC) team). Without just that one 2nd qtr of Spurs' disappearance vs SEA, 12 - 29 pts, and the Spurs would be 21-zip @SBC.)

I am fully justified in pointing out, with compete accuracy, that the Spurs suck badly, 1-6, __ON THE ROAD__ against playoff teams. That's a damn negative inidcator. It's the basis of why I call these Spurs soft.

Now take your fucking smack posts, and Jim, and shove them up your stinking asses.

And get your own fucked up "facts" straight. We're 3-0 against DAL.

exstatic
01-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Leave it to boutons to find one negative stat to post about the Spurs. You're consistant, I'll give you that. Keep picking nits while the rest of us enjoy the season. Obviously, that's what makes you happy.

boutons
01-18-2005, 04:46 PM
"one negative stat"

I'm fully enjoying this and all Spurs seasons that I've followed closely. I hate losing badly played games to inferior teams. For sheer pleasure, I much prefer the Spurs playing better teams where both teams play well, no matter who wins.

The 1-6 stat is huge, it's represents 6 of 9 total losses, it indicates a Spurs softness when the going gets tough, ie, 1) on the road, 2) against better teams (esp if they play a little defense). It's a toughness the Spurs will need in the playoffs, and road toughness isn't something that magically appears after April 20. It has to be developed during the season.

The 03 Spurs had it, having the league-beast season road record, IIRC, and then, season road performance blending consistently into playoff performance, closing out the first 3 playoff rounds on the road.

violentkitten
01-18-2005, 04:48 PM
boutons after you asserted that division titles are won based on the best intradivision record you should not be talking shit to anyone else in this forum

exstatic
01-18-2005, 04:49 PM
It has to be developed during the season.

I think the point is, they're not even half way. How good this team is at this juncture compared to teams past, yes even 2003, is fun and scary at the same time. SA usually doesn't even break even against WC playoff teams (overall) until March. As you pointed out, they are not 6-6, but 7-6 so far.

boutons
01-18-2005, 05:09 PM
quoting myself from another thread, let's look at last season, this time:

"
Fri 16 @ Indiana L 79 - 89
Thu 29 Sacramento L 91 - 96
Fri 6 @ Sacramento W 102 - 94
Thu 26 @ Dallas L 91 - 115
Mon 1 Memphis L 80 - 81
Tue 9 @ Memphis L 88 - 94
Sun 14 @ Sacramento L 87 - 101
Tue 23 @ Minnesota L 81 - 86
Thu 25 Detroit W 84 - 75
Wed 31 Sacramento W 107 - 89
Sun 4 @ L.A. Lakers W 95 - 89
==============================
4 - 7, hmm, not very impressive.

Were the big games lost against top-level teams in the heart of the season predicting the softness of the Spurs' collapse vs LAL?"

What I'm looking for is some "road rage" in the Spurs.

violentkitten
01-18-2005, 05:11 PM
the hallmark of every bad poster is the propensity to quote themselves

GoSpurs21
01-18-2005, 09:32 PM
He is lying.

He would be honored to caoch the Allstar team...that is the last achievement missing on his resume.In addition to Olympic championship coach

milkyway21
01-19-2005, 02:42 AM
Coach Pop said he doesn't want to coach the All-Star game. I would think it would be because of all the prima donnas that don't know the concept of team basketball and he also knows that the All-Star game is looked upon as a showcase for spectacular dunks - not defense!! :nope with ShaQ playing as center in East now, I don't think it would be an easy game for the West. Last year Yao started I think he only had 2 pts(?). Pops has spent time studying ShaQ's moves, he knows how to stop him, he must coach.

toosmallshoes
01-19-2005, 04:21 AM
All the all star game coach does is manage minutes and select reserves. the only reason i can think of that pop would even want to coach this game is because it would mean his team had the best record in his conference. That and he would have a chance to select Parker and Ginobili.