PDA

View Full Version : Sean Elliott Says Phoenix Must Forget Last Year

duncan228
04-18-2008, 08:38 PM
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/114215

Suns notebook: Former Spur Elliott says Phoenix must forget last year
Jerry Brown, Tribune

Steve Kerr’s college teammate at Arizona doesn’t think the Suns have the mental toughness to win in the postseason.

Sean Elliott, a former Spurs star and now a color commentator for the team, told ESPN Radio that the Suns are doing the Spurs a favor if they still have last year’s controversial series and Game 4 ejections of Amaré Stoudemire and Boris Diaw on their minds.

“You have to get past that already,” Elliott said. ”To be honest, if they’re still harping on that, if they’re still talking about how they got (expletive) last year or how the series was taken away from them by the league or by David Stern, that all plays into the Spurs’ hands. You’ve not focused on doing what you have to do to beat the defending champions.”

Suns coach Mike D’Antoni rolled his eyes when told of the comment.

“The only time we think about that is when the media asks about it,” he said. “Two of our five starters (Grant Hill and Shaquille O’Neal) weren’t even on the team last year. Do you think they care?”

HILL READY TO GO

Grant Hill (groin) took part in a second straight day of practice Friday and told the Suns coaches and trainers that he’s ready to go for Game 1.

ROAD WARRIORS

This is only the second time in nine postseason series under D’Antoni that the Suns will open on the road. The only other one was the 2006 Western Conference final, when the Suns beat Dallas in Game 1 but ultimately lost the series in six games.

But in the eight playoff series in which they have had home-court advantage over the last three years, the Suns held serve only twice — a first-round sweep of Memphis in 2005 and last year’s 4-1 stroll over the Lakers.

“You want home-court, you prefer it, but there is pressure that comes with it,” Stoudemire said. “I love the villain part of it, being the villain on the road and being booed and yelled at. And I love being the people’s champions at home.”

BONUS SHOT

Four ties among teams that finished the regular season with identical records were broken Friday through random drawings to help determine the order of selection for the 2008 NBA Draft. Among those, the Suns won a tiebreaker with Houston and will pick 24th.

lefty
04-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Man...

D'Antoni is such a lier....

angel_luv
04-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Phoenix needs to start packing and have a nice long summer.

lefty
04-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Golfing anyone?

Popo>Phil
04-18-2008, 10:58 PM
Sean will say the same nest year :lol

SAtown
04-18-2008, 11:03 PM
“The only time we think about that is when the media asks about it,” he said. “Two of our five starters (Grant Hill and Shaquille O’Neal) weren’t even on the team last year. Do you think they care?”

What a douche. Every one of them, including hissypants himself, can avoid questions from the media by simply saying "no comment" or "we've moved on" or "that has no effect on this year's series" etc... Instead, they use the media questions to express what they lose sleep over every night for the past year.

word
04-18-2008, 11:12 PM
and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that and the year before that ....

This is a different suns team. Better ? YTBD. If they're 'out for revenge' they'll screw themselves again. Just go out and play Phoenix. If the pieces fell together and worked, they worked. All you can do is play ....and damnit....what time is it anyway....GODDAMNIT move this clock quicker !!

CarefreeAZ
04-18-2008, 11:24 PM
what time is it anyway....GODDAMNIT move this clock quicker !!

I'm with you - too much time for the media to bring up old crap. All I know is at high noon tomorrow, the clock on the wall reads "GO TIME" and the 2008 playoff chapter begins. Do the Suns and Spurs start it all off or is there an East Coast series before that?

duncan228
04-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Do the Suns and Spurs start it all off or is there an East Coast series before that?

The Wizards/Cavs game is on ESPN first.

CarefreeAZ
04-18-2008, 11:48 PM
The Wizards/Cavs game is on ESPN first.

Thanks for letting me know. With every other media person talking about this series, I assumed it would be the first game.

Mister Sinister
04-18-2008, 11:49 PM
Oh, hell, that's right, I need to Tivo this game before I leave tomorrow.

Princess Pimp
04-19-2008, 01:29 AM
Phoenix needs to start packing and have a nice long summer.:lol

Whatever!

word
04-19-2008, 03:03 AM
Yeah out west it's like an 8:00AM game. lol !! See that shit with the Rockies. Went 22 innings out west, had to play in houston the next day at noon, got to their hotel in Houston at 8:30AM.