PDA

View Full Version : Bucks Players Offer Predictions For Playoffs

duncan228
04-19-2008, 12:58 AM
http://www.nba.com/bucks/news/MB_080418.html

Finals Forecast
Bucks offer predictions for 2008 NBA Playoffs
by Truman Reed

MILWAUKEE -- The National Basketball Association Playoffs will tip off this weekend with the Milwaukee Bucks on the outside looking in.

The Bucks had their sights set on making the playoff field when the season began, but derailed after a 7-4 start and were never able to get back on course.

So the Bucks have been relegated to playoff spectator status for the second consecutive season, and several of them were asked to forecast which teams will meet in the 2008 NBA Finals.

Here are their prognostications:

Royal Ivey

"In the East, I'd say either Detroit or the Celtics. I'm leaning toward the Celtics right now, because they're rolling, but Detroit's been there before, so I'm going to go with Detroit.

"The West is a toss-up, depending on how the seeds shape up. I like San Antonio. You've got to go through the champions. And they're solid. In a seven-game series, they're going to be hard to beat. So I'd go with the Pistons and the Spurs in the finals."

Michael Redd

"It's early, but Boston would have to be the favorite right now, just because of their record and how they're playing. The playoffs are going to be interesting, though. They really are.

"Boston's veterans have been there and done it all - Ray (Allen), Kevin (Garnett) and Paul (Pierce). Scoring? At this point, you could care less about it; you want to win a championship. All three of them have solidified their careers, so there was never going to be a problem with them sharing the basketball. It's all about winning now.

"In the West, right now I'd say probably San Antonio until somebody else proves they can be beat. I'd have to go with them. But who knows? That race is amazing, incredible. But I'd have to favor San Antonio."

Awvee Storey

"Out of the West, it's hard to say. I would like New Orleans, but I don't know if they're a playoff team. When you get into that mode when teams slow it down and play defense, I see the Spurs and Boston.

"The Lakers will probably lose in the first or second round. You've got to go with the Spurs and their experience. And how many additions do they have, one? And that's (Damon) Stoudamire. I respect them so much."

"It hasn't surprised me that Boston's three stars are sharing the ball. I knew they would. You've got 'K.G.,' who's a team leader on and off the floor. You know how he is. Ray Allen, Paul Pierce ... these are veteran guys who know what it takes, even if that means giving up a couple shots in order to win. I didn't think that would be an issue at all."

Desmond Mason

"That's tough, man, especially out in the West. And in the East, too. You've got some good teams -- teams that could shock people. People are talking about Boston so much, but you can't forget about Detroit. And who knows what Cleveland can do? Orlando, (Hedo) Turkoglu has been playing great, Rashard (Lewis) has been consistent, Dwight (Howard) has been unbelievable. Overall, it's hard. On paper, you'd have to pick Boston with their record and what they have.

"In the West, I have no idea; just flip a coin. I think if the Spurs are healthy, at the end of the season, they always tend to turn it up a little bit. They're starting to groove themselves right now for playoff basketball. But the Hornets are playing unbelievable. Those guys are good friends of mine, so I'm extremely happy for them. And you look at Dallas. They could be in a position where they're a lower seed, but you've got Dirk (Nowitzki) and Josh (Howard) and now Jason Kidd ...

"The Lakers could get (Andrew) Bynum back for the postseason. It's going to be crazy. The ninth team in the west might be the best team ever to not make the playoffs. That team will have maybe 48 wins. Forty eight wins in the East could get you a two seed."

Andrew Bogut

"It's going to be interesting. Boston's first group is unbelievable, but I think Detroit's bench is better. That might be the difference. They're a well-oiled machine up in Detroit, so I wouldn't be surprised if they got through, but Boston might shock some people there.

"The West is a crapshoot. It's going to be ridiculous. Whoever gets through there is going to be banged-up. There will probably be six or seven games in every series out West. That's just what the lopsidedness of the NBA is at the moment.

"I'd go with the Spurs or the Lakers. I think the acquistions the Lakers made really help them, especially getting (Pau) Gasol for next to nothing. Lamar Odom's playing his best ball ever, and they have a veteran leader in Derek Fisher. They could be the darkhorse in the West."

Michael Ruffin

"I'd go with Boston in the East. In the West ... I'd say the Suns.

"With Boston, they have the star players, but they play 'D,' too. Everyone always says it takes defense to win championships, and they've been one of the best defensive teams in the NBA all year long. And you know they have enough players who can make big plays and hit big shots in the fourth quarter. That's never been a problem for them.

"The West is so tough. The difference may end up being experience. San Antonio has done it. You always have to worry about the Spurs.

"Phoenix has been close a few times. The Lakers have Kobe, but outside of that, they have a lot of new faces who aren't really used to making it that deep in the playoffs. Same thing with the Hornets.

"I've never seen anything like the West this year. When you're 15 games over .500 and you're not making the playoffs, that's really saying something about the strength of the conference. It's been unbelievable."

Charlie Villanueva

"One series that I'd like to see is the Celtics and Detroit in the East. I think that's going to be very exciting to see. But my prediction for the NBA Finals is the San Antonio Spurs and the Detroit Pistons.

"As far as the Spurs are concerned, they have the experience and they have the players. And they never get any hype. They're such a basic team. It seems like so many people hate them. There's nothing flashy about them. They're just boring. But all of that wins championships, I guess.

"They're both great defensive teams and they both play so well in the half-court. That would be an interesting matchup to see. I'd give the Spurs the edge in that one. They've both been there before, but the Spurs just have that team that's hard to beat in situations like that.

"And the Pistons just lost their assistant GM (new Bucks GM John Hammond), so that will hurt them. Make sure you put that in there, and that it came out of my mouth.

"The West is crazy. That's got to hurt whoever doesn't get in -- either Golden State or Denver. If you win 48 or 49 games and don't make it ... that's crazy. And the team that does get in could win at least a round or two. No. 8 could beat No. 1. There are no easy games.

"In the East, you pretty much know 1's going to win. But in the West, you don't know who's going to win. That makes it exciting, and that's real good for the NBA."

timvp
04-19-2008, 01:31 AM
Seeing how Milwaukee has played against San Antonio over the years, the Bucks would probably sweep the Spurs in the playoffs. I respect their opinions :tu

duncan228
04-19-2008, 01:40 AM
I thought it was interesting to see how players viewed it. An inside look.

hsxvvd
04-19-2008, 04:23 AM
Bogut calls Lakers a "dark horse". Can a number 1 seed be a dark horse?

manufor3
04-19-2008, 06:56 AM
that was... intersesting

Allanon
04-19-2008, 07:46 AM
That's definitely an interesting take coming from Players. I'd love to see an NBA poll only among players to see who they think will be the champs. I figure they would know best.

I'm guessing Spurs come out on top since the East is divided between Celtics and Pistons.

That said, if the Lakers/Suns/Mavs come through on top, would that be an "upset"?

1Parker1
04-19-2008, 07:58 AM
Bogut calls Lakers a "dark horse". Can a number 1 seed be a dark horse?

It seems by some of the quotes like their opinions were asked before the playoff seeding was set.

And the Pistons just lost their assistant GM (new Bucks GM John Hammond), so that will hurt them. Make sure you put that in there, and that it came out of my mouth.

:lol