PDA

View Full Version : Shaq vs. Duncan: A Clash Of The Champions

duncan228
04-19-2008, 12:58 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0419matchupduncanshaq0419.html

Shaq vs. Duncan: A clash of the champions
Doug Haller
The Arizona Republic

Shaquille O'Neal and Tim Duncan each has four championship rings. Even more impressive, one of the two has played in the past nine NBA Finals. Combined, they have won six Finals MVPs.

Perhaps they should change the name of the event: "The NBA Finals hosted by Timmy and Shaquille."

Maybe some day.

Until then, both will try to keep the streak alive, beginning in a first-round series that might be better suited for the Western Conference finals. Shaq and Duncan in the opening round is like eating New York strip before the salad. It's a lot to digest so soon after sitting down.

The Suns pretty much acquired O'Neal for this purpose. Duncan and the Spurs have eliminated Phoenix two of the past three seasons, including last year's showdown that left Suns fans feeling like they had just swallowed an earthworm.

"We'll probably get a chance to guard each other, but this matchup is bigger than me vs. Tim," O'Neal said. "His team has the experience of getting it done, especially in the postseason. (But) I've been there a few times myself so hopefully we can do everything right and possibly get one or two wins in that building."

Since O'Neal's purple makeover, the Suns have beaten San Antonio twice. Duncan, guarded by both O'Neal and Amaré Stoudemire, shot 38 percent from the field, averaging 20 points.

In last season's Western Conference semifinals, when O'Neal was in Miami, Duncan shot 57 percent against the Suns, averaging 26.8 points. A coincidence?

We're about to find out.