PDA

View Full Version : Was this a back breaking sort of win?

Whisky Dog
04-19-2008, 06:13 PM
I wonder if this win isn't more like 1 1/2 wins. When you beat a team in that fashion when they gave you possibly their best shot and you only played maybe 30 good minutes out of 58 with clutch dagger after clutch dagger... It's got to take something out of the other team. Especially when you've been both their daddy and pimp for the last 10 years.

SpursPreacher
04-19-2008, 06:14 PM
It might be,I mean the suns threw everything,and the kitchen sink,and the spurs pulled it out.

Kori Ellis
04-19-2008, 06:16 PM
No way. Game 1's can't be back breaking in a 7 game series. If this way a 5-game series, then maybe.

Phil Hellmuth
04-19-2008, 06:17 PM
if spurs win game 2, then yes.

T Park
04-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Not at all.

But its gotta make em think a little...

Whisky Dog
04-19-2008, 06:21 PM
No way. Game 1's can't be back breaking in a 7 game series. If this way a 5-game series, then maybe.

I understand that, but Nash, Amare, Diaw, and Boboso arent going to give them more than they got today, and they still lost. This has to be somewhat mentally crippling for them.

bigfan
04-19-2008, 06:24 PM
If this was a game 2 or 3 Id say maybe, but no backbreaker for sure. Way too early for that, we need to follow up with an ass whippin on Tuesday.

Russ
04-19-2008, 06:29 PM
It would have been a backbreaking loss.

bigfan
Thats for damn sure.

ThomasGranger
Demoralizing, yes, but not a back breaker. I agree with bigfan that game three will probably be the one that ends up being the big momentum game of the series.

timvp
04-19-2008, 06:31 PM
I understand that, but Nash, Amare, Diaw, and Boboso arent going to give them more than they got today, and they still lost. This has to be somewhat mentally crippling for them.Shaq is also going to play more than five minutes in the first half. And Amare isn't going to foul out.

Or will he . . .:hat

BonnerDynasty
04-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Shaq won't.

That's for damn sure.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Shaq is also going to play more than five minutes in the first half. And Amare isn't going to foul out.

:lol

DazedAndConfused
04-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Spurs hung in there and won.

The problem is, they HUNG IN THERE. It's their home court, they should control the game or chunks of it. They didn't control jack until mid-late 4th Q to get back in.

Suns will come back in Game 2 with everything they have. If they lose that game, it's all over. Funny stat though.....when the Spurs won in '03, '05, and '07 they lost Game 1 in the 1st round each time.

Whisky Dog
04-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Demoralizing, yes, but not a back breaker. I agree with bigfan that game three will probably be the one that ends up being the big momentum game of the series.

Demoralizing. Much better choice of words. That's more in line with what I meant. Props to you on setting me straight on that one.

HighLowLobForBig-50
04-19-2008, 06:50 PM
we chipped at their will a little
they gave us everthing they had
we came out on top and they know we didnt play our best game
i just dont see how they could have played better
shaq might get more run 1st half next game , but i also dont see how he was still in the game in either OT session.
they know whats up now

Budkin
04-19-2008, 06:52 PM
It's gotta be disheartening but there's no way it's back breaking. The Spurs need to keep this kind of fight in them though if they want to finally pull out the repeat this year.

YoMamaIsCallin
04-19-2008, 06:55 PM
if spurs win game 2, then yes.

Exactly!

If the Suns come back and beat the Spurs in game 2, the momentum switches, the Suns gain HCA, their confidence is restored. Especially if the Suns win big.

If the Spurs take game 2, the Suns have to be seriously reeling and wondering what they have to do to win anything in the playoffs.

WalterBenitez
04-19-2008, 06:55 PM
1 = 1 1/2 .... hmmmm I am not that good in Maths, but apparently isn't equal :D

HighLowLobForBig-50
04-19-2008, 06:59 PM
its gonna be awfully difficult for them to forget this loss.
that said, if they cant forget it and lose the series it was a backbreaker

DazedAndConfused
04-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Exactly!

If the Suns come back and beat the Spurs in game 2, the momentum switches, the Suns gain HCA, their confidence is restored. Especially if the Suns win big.

If the Spurs take game 2, the Suns have to be seriously reeling and wondering what they have to do to win anything in the playoffs.

Gets it. Huge confidence booster for the Spurs, but the Suns will only come out more desperate for the win on Tuesday. The Spurs can't afford to let up for a half like they did in today's game. They have to be all out from the start. If they can win Game 2, IT'S ALL OVER. The Suns are not strong enough to recover from that.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Shaq is also going to play more than five minutes in the first half. And Amare isn't going to foul out.

I was thinking during the game that's probably a good thing. I believe the game was planned thinking Shaq would play normal minutes and there were times I thought the Spurs were playing like shit because the entire plan dissapeared when they went with other players most of the game. Who knows but I had that perception.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Gets it. Huge confidence booster for the Spurs, but the Suns will only come out more desperate for the win on Tuesday. The Spurs can't afford to let up for a half like they did in today's game. They have to be all out from the start. If they can win Game 2, IT'S ALL OVER. The Suns are not strong enough to recover from that.

I think they got that - i personally wasnt expecting a great game from the spurs but I can tell game 2 will be much better now that they know how tough it got today.

bresilhac
04-19-2008, 07:05 PM
The Suns will carry the effects of this loss with them for the rest of the series without question. After all that they went through tonight and to still come away losers? It's got to weigh down on them. I predict a sizable win by San Antonio Tuesday. No overtimes.

ShoogarBear
04-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Nope.

In fact, you wonder if this game might have taken too much out of the Spurs, and set them up for a game 2 loss.

Now, if they can come back and win game 2, you might be saying something.

T Park
04-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Nope.

In fact, you wonder if this game might have taken too much out of the Spurs, and set them up for a game 2 loss.

With two days in between I don;t think so...

DazedAndConfused
04-19-2008, 07:09 PM
FYI - the Spurs lost Game 1 of the series in the 1st round in 2003, 2005, and 2007.

Remind me what they did in those years again? :)

1Parker1
04-19-2008, 07:10 PM
I think this game is just more of a confidence builder for the Spurs than anything else. Suns had beat them prettily handily the last two games they played. And with the way the first half went, they were on their way to a 3rd game. If the Spurs had lost today, I think the momentum/confidence and edge would have gone to the Suns and the Spurs would have been in a precarious situation.

Hopefully the Spurs figured out some important strategies to employ the rest of the series that'll get them to the next round. Pop definitely outcoached D'Antoni in this game though. Simple as that.

bresilhac
04-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Nope.

You may be right. But both teams were run through the ringer tonight not just San Antonio. And I would say that the fear of losing game two combined with the after effects of yet another playoff choke will cause the Suns to collapse under pressure ultimately in game 2. The Spurs have a tremendous mental edge over Phoenix. No doubt.

loveforthegame
04-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Not at all. If anything I think this was a wake up call for the Spurs more than a blow to the Suns.

Suns came into tough territory and threw everything at the Spurs and yet the Spurs needed two clutch shots to send it into OT's and claw a win out on their home floor.

Good things happened when the Spurs attacked and will need to do so again in game 2. Role players must step up more. I doubt Stoudamire fouls out again and you can bet the house Shaq won't.

carina_gino20
04-19-2008, 07:16 PM
I don't think so. And the last thing the Spurs need right now as too much praise after this game. They just need to shut everyone out, straighten all the wrinkles in their play before Game 2.

boutons_
04-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Spurs have to preserve today by going to PHX 2-0.

If Suns get the split, Spurs lose HCA, and Suns get a lot of hope going home, putting pressure on the Spurs.

We'll see how the Suns play after such a huge disappointment today.

twincam
04-19-2008, 07:21 PM
I wonder if this win isn't more like 1 1/2 wins. When you beat a team in that fashion when they gave you possibly their best shot and you only played maybe 30 good minutes out of 58 with clutch dagger after clutch dagger... It's got to take something out of the other team. Especially when you've been both their daddy and pimp for the last 10 years.

it's not a back breaker....It just shows that the Suns can actually put a good scare on the Spurs. However, the Suns have proven once again that they have a poor habit of blowing huge leads in playoff games against the Spurs. Hense, last year.

bresilhac
04-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Not at all. If anything I think this was a wake up call for the Spurs more than a blow to the Suns.

Suns came into tough territory and threw everything at the Spurs and yet the Spurs needed two clutch shots to send it into OT's and claw a win out on their home floor.

Good things happened when the Spurs attacked and will need to do so again in game 2. Role players must step up more. I doubt Stoudamire fouls out again and you can bet the house Shaq won't.

Good points. But keep in mind that the same was said about Phoenix in past series with San Antonio and they still ended up losing to the Spurs in the end. True, it took San Antonio forever to actually win this game. But win it they did. And if circumstances are drawn similarly in game two I like the Spurs chances. There is no substitute for playoff poise. Steve Nash has it but the rest of the Suns don't. And obviously the Spurs are loaded with it.

DespЏrado
04-19-2008, 07:28 PM
A lot of games left to be played. I like our chances but the Spurs had to put it all out there to win at home. The Spurs still have a hard time playing for 48 minutes, and that won't cut it as the playoffs go on.

This win helps us, more than it hurts the Suns.

1Parker1
04-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Suns could and probably will choose to look at this loss another way; They almost stole the game from the Spurs and they needed 2 miracle 3 pointers...one by Tim Duncan who hasn't made one all season to get the win. If they keep doing what they did the first 3 quarters and not collapse like they did, they can still beat the Spurs.

For the Spurs they've got to look at this win as a confidence booster after losing the first two. Tim Duncan is here to play and so is Parker and Ginobili. I wonder if Pop is going to change his starting lineup and put in Kurt Thomas to start.

Tek_XX
04-19-2008, 07:30 PM
If the Spurs had dominated this game from beginning to end that would have been very demoralizing for the Suns. But they know they controlled it and let it slip away. So i expect the Suns to come out blazing again

lurker
04-19-2008, 07:31 PM
I don't see it that way. Maybe if it was the Mavericks, but I don't think the Suns are that mentally weak to let this one loss break them.

SenorSpur
04-19-2008, 07:38 PM
There's nothing like a demoralizing victory to thwart the confidence of an already insecure team. The Spurs certainly demonstrated a new level of mental toughness - even for an already mentally tough team like them.

THey now have a chance to further demoralize the Suns by digging them a 2-0 hole. I believe they will absorb the early blow PHX will throw in Game 2 and get the victory. It'd be nice if they come out and rip the hearts out of the Suns early. Get 'em down and keep 'em down all game. But I don't see that happening.

Either way, they should play even better in Game 2 than they did in Game 1.

samikeyp
04-19-2008, 07:51 PM
No.

Russ
04-19-2008, 07:59 PM
FYI - the Spurs lost Game 1 of the series in the 1st round in 2003, 2005, and 2007.

They won Game 1 in 1999.

Remind me what they did in that year again?

Hint: It had to do with closing down a certain legendary sports facility in a certain city. :) (And also winning the NBA title.)

j-6
04-19-2008, 08:00 PM
I don't see it that way. Maybe if it was the Mavericks, but I don't think the Suns are that mentally weak to let this one loss break them.

I originally agreed with you, but then you threw the Mavs reference in. The Mavs have actually beaten the Spurs in a playoff series recently while Phoenix hasn't beaten the Spurs in a best-of-seven since 2000. In the last eight years, San Antonio has beaten the Suns in three playoff series, and every Spurs win ultimately put them in the Finals, where they beat Jersey, Detroit, and Cleveland.

There's good karma in knocking Phoenix out of the playoffs, at least in my opinion.

Crookshanks
04-19-2008, 08:21 PM

Yes, the Spurs lost game one in the 1st round in those years; however, we played teams that were significantly inferior to Phoenix. This is probably the toughest 1st round opponent the Spurs have faced. And considering how stacked the West is this year - most of the teams are facing the same situation!

Losing game 1 to Phoenix would've been pretty bad in terms of giving the Suns extra confidence and putting more pressure on the Spurs.

O-Factor
04-19-2008, 08:23 PM

I'll wait till we win Game 2. That'll be a back breaking win. The series isn't over.

Referee
04-19-2008, 08:24 PM

SHAQ is still a $20 million dollar stiff who will blame everyone else for the loss but him... Wait till some Maricopa County Sherriff decides to arrest SHAQ for throwing every member of the SUNS organization under the bus.:fro

phyzik
04-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Spurs win game 2...... THEN and ONLY then, will it be a backbreaker......

If they dont win Tuesday, its still anyones game.