PDA

View Full Version : "Did Shaq hack Manu" Weird Dallas Article...

greens
04-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Did Shaq hack Manu?
4:53 PM Sat, Apr 19, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon

The Mavs watching the Suns-Spurs game in the locker room at New Orleans Arena sure seemed to think Manu Ginobili got hammered by Shaq on his drive to the basket late in the fourth quarter. They reacted to the play by laughing -- can-you-believe-they-didn't-blow-the-whistle kind of laughter.

It appeared that the non-call might be the key play in a Suns win, but the Spurs recovered to send the game into overtime.

More Mavs-centric stuff to come.

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/04/did-shaq-hack-manu.html

Anyone know what play they are talking about?

SAtown
04-19-2008, 07:57 PM
I remember that play. At first it kinda seemed like Shaq hacked the shit out of Manu, but when they showed the replay on the jumbotron, it was pretty clear he just blocked him. Good non-call by the refs (if in fact it's the play you're talking about)

Kori Ellis
04-19-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm guessing the play where Manu made a bonehead drive and got blocked.

honestfool84
04-19-2008, 07:58 PM
late in the fourth quarter, i believe, manu drives on shaq. (where the commentators said was an awesome block, AND that manu knows how to sell non calls)

timvp
04-19-2008, 07:59 PM
That play was clean. Only person in the NBA who gets that call is Dirk. Dallas Fan being surprised by that call not being made is no surprise.

Kori Ellis
04-19-2008, 07:59 PM
It was a bad play by Manu. There were people open all over the court. It was a good block but Manu got hit on the follow through.

SAtown
04-19-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm guessing the play where Manu made a bonehead drive and got blocked.

Not to mention there was about 10 seconds left on the shot clock...

Pero
04-19-2008, 08:00 PM
UHm, I seem to remember Oneal hitting him in the head, clean block, but hand continued...

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-19-2008, 08:01 PM
It was a bad play by Manu. There were people open all over the court. It was a good block but Manu got hit on the follow through.

It's a play i'l live with Manu making, especially when Shaq has 5 fouls.

1Parker1
04-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Well it was a bad non-call considering the play that Parker eventually ended up fouling out on was a barely there hand on the hip on a Nash 3 pointer.....if they're going to let things go one way, they should the other way too.

Either way, there were plenty of bad calls both ways this game. It was oddly officiated, lots and lots of offensive fouls and flopping was allowed both ways. But then the tickest of fouls was called.

Kori Ellis
04-19-2008, 08:02 PM
It's a play i'l live with Manu making, especially when Shaq has 5 fouls.

I'm sure he'll get his ass torn about it in film session. It was a bad mistake.

Kori Ellis
04-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Either way, there were plenty of bad calls both ways this game. It was oddly officiated, lots and lots of offensive fouls and flopping was allowed both ways. But then the tickest of fouls was called.

Yeah it was definitely weird. The players need to keep their heads focused though.. I hate to see the griping was the ball is still in play.

Bob Lanier
04-19-2008, 08:03 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/60/fullj.3684d5b38cd4a55a92312d4247024501/3684d5b38cd4a55a92312d4247024501-getty-80358526ce017_suns_spur.jpg

Probably this?

O'Neal probably hit Ginobili in the head on the follow-through after cleanly blocking the shot.

I find it odd that Kori thinks this was a good no-call after the way she defended the 2006 Finals refereeing on Wade, though.

Kori Ellis
04-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Speaking of bad plays, did you see when Oberto got the lane violation and Pop thought it was on Tim? Pop ripped him when Tim came to sidelines and Tim said, "It wasn't me it was Fab and walked away." :lmao

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-19-2008, 08:06 PM
UHm, I seem to remember Oneal hitting him in the head, clean block, but hand continued...

Some say there was contact after the ball was blocked, and it was a clean block.

Van Gundy called it a foul, but it's one of those inconsistent non-calls, if Manu got hit in the head on a follow-through,usually they'd call it. Still, Manu shouldn't have gone away from going to Timmy downlow with Shaq with 5 fouls.

He made up for it, on his other three drives on Shaq, so whatever.

1Parker1
Speaking of bad plays, did you see when Oberto got the lane violation and Pop thought it was on Tim? Pop ripped him when Tim came to sidelines and Tim said, "It wasn't me it was Fab and walked away." :lmao

:lol I missed that. But JVG was announcing the game and he was pissed enough for Pop. He called out Oberto and said Pop better should him that film tommorow. How does Oberto NOT know that Shaq hesitates like that on his foul shot attempts?

SAtown
:lol Damn tattletale

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz

:lmao

the nerves in this game

Kori Ellis
Probably this?

O'Neal probably hit Ginobili in the head on the follow-through after cleanly blocking the shot.

I find it odd that Kori thinks this was a good no-call after the way she defended the 2006 Finals refereeing on Wade, though.

Did I say this was a good no call?

I said it was a clean block and that Shaq hit Manu on the follow-through. Isn't that what you just said?

SAtown
04-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Either way, there was WAY to many stupid fouls called. As soon as I found out Salvatore and Co was calling the game, I knew we were in for a long one. That lane violation was BS

Bob Lanier
04-19-2008, 08:08 PM
If it was a bad call, why was it a bad play? Shaq was in serious foul trouble at the time, and the Spurs shooters hadn't exactly been reliable up to that point in the game.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-19-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm sure he'll get his ass torn about it in film session. It was a bad mistake.

I don't think so... I think Pop will live with Manu being that aggressive going to the hole

Kori Ellis
04-19-2008, 08:10 PM
If it was a bad call, why was it a bad play?

It was bad offensive execution. That's why it was a bad play.

The call could go either way .. sometimes they miss the call on the follow-through.

Kori Ellis
04-19-2008, 08:10 PM
I don't think so... I think Pop will live with Manu being that aggressive going to the hole

He ripped his ass on the sidelines about it. I'm sure he'll bring it up in film session.

BonnerDynasty
04-19-2008, 08:11 PM
That hit on Manu was nothing compared to the vicious attack Parker executed on Nash's 3 pt attempt.

Kori Ellis
04-19-2008, 08:11 PM
That hit on Manu was nothing compared to the vicious attack Parker executed on Nash's 3 pt attempt.

:lol

phyzik
04-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Did I say this was a good no call?

I said it was a clean block and that Shaq hit Manu on the follow-through. Isn't that what you just said?

As tense as the game was at that point I couldnt help but crack up at that shit. :lol

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-19-2008, 08:14 PM
He ripped his ass on the sidelines about it. I'm sure he'll bring it up in film session.

I thought Pop was more pissed about Ginobili arguing with the ref rather than trying to get back on D, than the play itself.. but thats just my opinion

Kori Ellis
04-19-2008, 08:15 PM
I thought Pop was more pissed about Ginobili arguing with the ref rather than trying to get back on D, than the play itself.. but thats just my opinion

Pop was fuming at Manu because of the play. He was trying to be too much of a hero at that point. But in the end, he was a hero, so it all worked out.:lol

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Pop was fuming at Manu because of the play. He was trying to be too much of a hero at that point. But in the end, he was a hero, so it all worked out.:lol

Yeah I agree, "Playoff Manu" is a beautiful sight to witness

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-19-2008, 08:17 PM
unless of course you are a Suns fan

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-19-2008, 08:19 PM

I laughed at that comment. It's true , Manu was forcing his game a little earlier. Luckily he was really focused by the end.

Kori Ellis
04-19-2008, 08:22 PM

I laughed at that comment. It's true , Manu was forcing his game a little earlier. Luckily he was really focused by the end.

Yeah it was a rough game for Manu in a lot of ways. He is obviously hurting and can't get any lift on his jump shots, and he wasn't playing that smart for a few possessions. But he's such a fucking warrior that his will to win comes out on top. It was rough for Tony too .. he started out 1-5 with two turnovers early in the first. They both battled through it and ended up with good games.

This game is something to be really proud of as a Spurs fan. The team didn't lay down and die when things weren't going their way. It's all about hammering that rock.

timvp
04-19-2008, 08:22 PM
My problem with that play from Manu was that Duncan was on fire at that point and he should have been involved in that play. No ref is going to call a foul on Shaq when Manu initiated all the contact and Shaq hit ball. Especially when Shaq has five fouls. Maybe in the first half but not with the game on the line. Also, Manu had Tim wide open on that play. When Shaq stepped up, Duncan had an easy dunk if Manu would have looked at him.

Overall though, everyone redeemed themselves at the end :smokin

WalterBenitez
04-19-2008, 08:29 PM
It wasn't foul but Manu's nose got hit

1Parker1
04-19-2008, 08:33 PM
The funny thing is, this is the 3rd straight game the Suns have played against the Spurs where Shaq/Amare have gotten in foul trouble. I think this is going to be a continued trend and a big part of this series. Neither have proven they can stay out of foul trouble.

oski1000
04-19-2008, 08:36 PM
It was a foul without a doubt!!!!!!!!!!!!:bang:flag:

Solid D
04-19-2008, 08:42 PM
I didn't think it was a bone-headed play at the time. I just thought Manu was trying to foul Shaq out.

greens
04-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Yeah it was a rough game for Manu in a lot of ways. He is obviously hurting and can't get any lift on his jump shots, and he wasn't playing that smart for a few possessions. But he's such a fucking warrior that his will to win comes out on top. It was rough for Tony too .. he started out 1-5 with two turnovers early in the first. They both battled through it and ended up with good games.

This game is something to be really proud of as a Spurs fan. The team didn't lay down and die when things weren't going their way. It's all about hammering that rock.

You're right. The Spurs really pulled it together mentally especially. They just kept playing...

timvp
04-19-2008, 09:02 PM
I didn't think it was a bone-headed play at the time. I just thought Manu was trying to foul Shaq out.I agree that it appeared fouling out Shaq was Manu's motivation. However, when you are down with a minute to go, trying to foul someone out should be the least of your concerns, IMO.

Kindergarten Cop
04-19-2008, 09:19 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080419/capt.d13b968ef53c44048d77eeada8fa538a.suns_spurs_b asketball_txeg112.jpg

Solid D
04-19-2008, 09:23 PM
In retrospect, it was not a smart play. It just looked like a perfect way to go to the line with Shaq planted well inside the inner circle. Shaq made a great play and Manu was the goat for not dropping it off to Tim. Tim didn't really try to seal or clear but was just standing there and could have received a pass. It didn't help that the outlet was immediately sent to Barbosa who drove past a statuesque and gentle Mike Finley for the 3-point lead. :)

MannyIsGod
04-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Amare can't stay out of foul trouble against bad bigmen in this league but there is no way he's going to avoid them against Tim Duncan. Amare is the king of the stupid foul. So often I see him pick up fouls when there is no need to do so. He just gifts them away. Its the reason this guy will never be an MVP. Only Dwight Howard can compare in terms of pure athleticism in a big man but the fact is that Amare has such a low IQ that he's never going to dominate this game without Nash around.

You watch, the moment Nash hangs them up Amare is going to really be hurting.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-19-2008, 09:24 PM
I agree that it appeared fouling out Shaq was Manu's motivation. However, when you are down with a minute to go, trying to foul someone out should be the least of your concerns, IMO.

I don't think it was the smartest play, but it's something I'm willing to live with from Manu. I still think it should of been whistled a foul, plus sometimes Shaq might not even make a play for the ball and give Ginobili the lay up

TampaDude
04-19-2008, 09:27 PM

Yeah, really...Parker actually came within two inches of touching Nash's elbow on that shot...TP should get a two-game suspension for such a deliberate and flagrant foul... :lol

TampaDude
04-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Amare can't stay out of foul trouble against bad bigmen in this league but there is no way he's going to avoid them against Tim Duncan. Amare is the king of the stupid foul. So often I see him pick up fouls when there is no need to do so. He just gifts them away. Its the reason this guy will never be an MVP. Only Dwight Howard can compare in terms of pure athleticism in a big man but the fact is that Amare has such a low IQ that he's never going to dominate this game without Nash around.

You watch, the moment Nash hangs them up Amare is going to really be hurting.

Yup...Amare is one of the most talented players in the NBA, but he's a dumbass...and that's a big reason why the Suns have zero rings...

Amare_32
04-19-2008, 09:29 PM
I guess the Mavs should have worried more about the Hornets.

TampaDude
04-19-2008, 09:32 PM
I guess the Mavs should have worried more about the Hornets.

WERD...the Mavs were up 52-40 at the half and seemingly in control of the game...my wife and I went out to get some dinner...we came back to a 104-92 Hornets win...WTF??? :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-19-2008, 10:06 PM

dbestpro
04-19-2008, 10:18 PM
I was at the game and there was a lot of dirty crap from the Suns that you didn't see on TV. It also seemed like every close call went to the Suns. We counted 12 bad calls against the Spurs to 2 against the Suns. The bottom line is it is a shame to have two teams try to elevate their performance while the refs were so below average.