PDA

View Full Version : Nash tells it like it was..but Shaq talks smack..

Pero
04-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Duncan's unlikely 3-pointer, Manu's double-OT layup lift Spurs past Suns (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=280419024)

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Midway through the first quarter after missing two jumpers, Tim Duncan threw the ball up yet again, then held his arms wide.

This time, would the shot fall?

It did. And much later the Spurs' big man hit an even bigger one. Duncan's first 3 of the season with just ticks left sent his team into double overtime against the revenge-minded Phoenix Suns.

Then it was Manu Ginobili's turn, and his layup with 1.8 seconds left pushed the defending champions past the Suns 117-115 Saturday in Game 1 of their first-round playoff series.

Now the teams have two days to rest from their marathon best-of-seven Western Conference opener before meeting for Game 2 on Tuesday night.

"I got a wide-open shot. Wound it up. Threw it up there and hoped for the best," said a clearly tired Duncan, who had 40 points and 15 rebounds.

This year's rematch of what many dubbed last year's real finals -- a tense and testy second-round series between the teams that the Spurs won in six games on their way to the title -- got off to a wild start and more than met expectations.

"It feels like a finals game," Duncan said. "It's the first game of the first series, and we're going to have to muster energy back up."

Early on, Game 1 did not look like it would turn into a thriller. The Suns controlled play for the first three quarters, leading by as many as 16 points despite early foul trouble for Shaquille O'Neal. The Suns held a six-point lead with a quarter left in regulation.

The Spurs took their first lead of the game late in the fourth quarter, but were down 93-90 with 1:10 to go after Leandro Barbosa's fast-break layup.

With 15 seconds on the clock, Michael Finley tied it at 93 for the Spurs to send it to overtime.

"We had the game won a few times and just weren't tough enough or disciplined enough to make every single play when it counted," said Steve Nash, who had 25 points and 13 assists.

Duncan made the big shot in the first overtime. With his team down 104-101, Duncan found himself all alone at the 3-point line.

After only a slight hesitation, he fired the ball and made it with 3 seconds to play. It was Duncan's first 3 of the season. He was 0-for-4 previously.

"I didn't know what was going to happen, honestly," Duncan said. "Manu turned the corner, Shaq just totally leaves me and stayed with Manu."

In the second overtime, Shaq's dunk tied it at 112 with 1:33 to play. Ginobili's layup put the Spurs ahead.

Nash missed a key 3 with less than a minute to play. After risky, cross-court inbounds pass to the Spurs' Brent Barry, he was fouled. Barry made one of two free throws.

With 15 seconds left, the Suns went to sharp shooter Nash. Nearly falling out of bounds in the corner, he hit a 3 that made it 115-all.

Then Ginobili drove the lane against Raja Bell and got to the hoop, as he often does, almost at will, and his layup fell.

"What I knew, before taking it to the rim, is that Shaq and Amare [Stoudemire] were not there," Ginobili said. "So, I knew if I had the opportunity to go get in there, get some legs into the shot, I had an opportunity to finish."

Tony Parker added 26 points for the Spurs and Ginobili had 24.

"We had a lot of opportunities to win," O'Neal said. "You can't make mistakes against a team like that especially here in this building."

But O'Neal wasn't completely contrite.

"I just wanted to play aggressive, but the floppers prevailed today. Amare and myself are going to continue to play aggressive," O'Neal said of his foul trouble. "Hopefully those guys will compete rather than just fall down."

Stoudemire, who fouled out with 12 seconds left in the first overtime, led the Suns with 33 points. O'Neal scored 11 points.

"They know we let them have one," O'Neal said. "All we need is one in this building."

Phoenix acquired O'Neal in a blockbuster midseason trade for a series such as this one to give the run-and-gun Suns a defensive boost.

O'Neal played just under four minutes in the first quarter after picking up two quick fouls. He was on the court for just 24 seconds in the second quarter before picking up his third foul and sitting out the rest of the half.

O'Neal missed two shots right off, the first when his dunk off an alley-oop pass missed. He didn't score in the first half.

Even though Phoenix got O'Neal to help their half-court game, the Suns, who still like to play quick, had only nine fast-break points in the game.

The Spurs, on the other hand, were able to punish the Suns with their strong suit. They had a 72-46 advantage in the paint.

"They're just not going to fold up their tent and go home," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "They're going to make runs. This is their homecourt. You're going to have to beat them."

CubanMustGo
04-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Crap, when someone 350 pounds runs into you, you fall down. Period.

sprrs
04-19-2008, 08:49 PM
I sure hope the Spurs don't listen to Shaq and stop flopping...then the flop scale would be eschewed in the Suns' favor.

Amare_32
04-19-2008, 08:50 PM

If someone that weighs 350 punds I won't just stand there I will get out of the way. Then again I weigh 150lbs.

Shaolin-Style
04-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Its gonna be sweet to eliminate this big mouthed bastard.

No one cares about Shaqs approval anymore.

Strike
04-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Shaq the "Big Ate-Yo-Taco" can say whatever he wants in his monotone mumble voice. He knows that this is probably his last shot to get another ring.

At least Nash was man enough to admit what really happened.

greens
04-19-2008, 08:52 PM
No surprise here. Steve Nash is a very classy guy...and Shaq is very conceited. He thinks he's better than anyone else...How did the Suns "let" the Spurs have one? Um, let's see, a bunch of CLUTCH plays by TD/Manu/Finley is what got the Spurs a win...

sprrs
04-19-2008, 08:52 PM
If someone that weighs 350 punds I won't just stand there I will get out of the way. Then again I weigh 150lbs.

That's why the Suns lose ballgames. Spurs man up and take the charge.

Buddy Holly
04-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Didn't the Big Ass flop in this game? I sure as hell remember him taking a charge, as if anyone could knock his big ass down.

TMTTRIO
04-19-2008, 08:54 PM
talk about floppers I loved how during the last game we had with them Manu ran into Shaq and Shaq just fell over on the floor. Talk about someone who barely weighs 200 pounds and is light as a feather can make someone like Shaq fall to the ground.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
Shaq is no different than Phil Jackson, acts like an ass for the sake of it.

tp2021
Shaq the "Big Ate-Yo-Taco" can say whatever he wants in his monotone mumble voice. He knows that this is probably his last shot to get another ring.

At least Nash was man enough to admit what really happened.

:clap
Respek to nash. Humble in defeat. I still wanna beat his ass, though.

Borosai
I clearly remember SnaqAttaq trying to draw a charge or two by flopping, so I don't know what he's complaining about. Stand outside of the restricted circle and make your free throws dummy.

MaNuMaNiAc

Just what I was thinking :lol

lurker
04-19-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm hoping we won't see either team rewarded for flopping next game. Stop calling so many fouls and just let them play it out.

cornbread
Making excuses to the media like a little a girl. Shaq has officially become a Phoenix Sun.

Amare_32
:clap
Respek to nash. Humble in defeat. I still wanna beat his ass, though.

I am sure he wants to beat the Spurs just as badly.

Amare_32
04-19-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm hoping we won't see either team rewarded for flopping next game. Stop calling so many fouls and just let them play it out.

Yes please I think the NBA should start assessing fouls on flops.

Avitus1
04-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Shaq proving to be as smart as ever.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-19-2008, 08:57 PM
way to discredit your opponent. as if they didn't "compete" :lmao

it's so funny, how a lot of key plays by the SUns were on flops by Nash, Bell, etc.

1Parker1
04-19-2008, 08:58 PM
:lol Shaq flopped quite a bit himself this game.

Regardless, my biggest worry is that Amare and Shaq should be really well rested Tuesday as they didn't play as much. Meanwhile, Duncan, Ginobili, Parker and company played A LOT of minutes and Duncan especially was breathing quite hard during the psotgame quotes. Hopefully Spurs didn't burn all their energy in the first game to get the W.

I think Nash hit it on the head though why the Suns lost. They don't have the discipline and still aren't tough enough in close games. Shaq makes them a little tougher, but Shaq isn't the Shaq he was even two years ago.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-19-2008, 08:59 PM
I always knew he didn't have any class, despite his rings. The flopping comment is for the referees for next game but what was hilarious was this one:

"They know we let them have one,"

I don't think it happened that way.

duncan228
04-19-2008, 09:00 PM
"They know we let them have one," O'Neal said. "All we need is one in this building."

Fuck him.
Eight of the last 9 rings belong to Duncan and Shaq. This game was an opportunity for one of them to shine. Duncan grabbed that opportunity and played his heart out. Shaq did nothing but get in foul trouble and now he's going to shoot his mouth off. It's disrespectful, but I expect no less from Shaq.

Prove it on the court, where it matters.

CubanMustGo
04-19-2008, 09:00 PM
"Dear" Shaq: Manu was 0-6 on threes, bitch. Just wait until Tuesday.

Guajalote
04-19-2008, 09:01 PM
"I just wanted to play aggressive, but the floppers prevailed today. Amare and myself are going to continue to play aggressive," O'Neal said of his foul trouble. "Hopefully those guys will compete rather than just fall down."

By "compete" he means to let him bull them around like he wants so we can see some dunks.

This is why Shaq will always be a classless jerk to me. Just about the time I am able to halfway stifle my projectile vomit when I see him, he goes and runs his mouth and I go right back to despising him.

He, of anyone on the court, should never complain about the officiating. For his entire career, he has gotten away with 3/4 of the offensive fouls that should be called on him.

Why does Shaq think so many teams get bruisers on their rosters? Just for the sole purpose of hammering him every time he gets the ball down low. Oh, wait a minute. I used the words "think" and "Shaq" in the same sentence. :rolleyes

If he'd use half of his brain cells, he would have figured out that if he'd work on free throws over the summer (and not on crappy movies and pain relief product commercials), he'd be unstoppable.

greens
04-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Well, I think it's funny to call the Spurs "floppers" when I saw Steve Nash flop a few times at the end of the game...and we know the Suns have Raja Bell...

Hmm...how about added fuel, Shaq? Last year, it was Amare calling Bruce/Manu and the whole Spurs team "dirty". Now, Shaq is calling them "floppers." Way to fit in!

Please tell me that the Spurs players read comments after games...I sure would like to know their view on Shaq's idea of "floppers."

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-19-2008, 09:02 PM
:lol Shaq flopped quite a bit himself this game.

Regardless, my biggest worry is that Amare and Shaq should be really well rested Tuesday as they didn't play as much. Meanwhile, Duncan, Ginobili, Parker and company played A LOT of minutes and Duncan especially was breathing quite hard during the psotgame quotes. Hopefully Spurs didn't burn all their energy in the first game to get the W.

I think Nash hit it on the head though why the Suns lost. They don't have the discipline and still aren't tough enough in close games. Shaq makes them a little tougher, but Shaq isn't the Shaq he was even two years ago.

They'll be fine. Shaq and Amare will pick up lots of fouls or sacrifice their defense in the game trying to stay out of it.
Amare's just not smart on the defensive end, and Timmy will make Shaq pay for guarding him, and Gino and Tony will capitalize by attacking him.

They've got two and half days so I don't think fatigue will mean anything in the second game.
The Suns are gonna have to force us to take jump shots I guess.

timvp
04-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Can't really blame Shaq. This type of complaining in the media has worked for Phil Jackson against the Spurs ... not to mention Avery Johnson against the Spurs.

The key will be in Game 2 to jump all over the Suns and make them start thinking about how it may not be their year to win it all.

:smokin

peskypesky
04-19-2008, 09:05 PM
More fouls were called on the Spurs than the Suns.
Suns took more free throws than Spurs.

MONTENEGRINO
04-19-2008, 09:05 PM
I guess it's hard to admit that you're past Shaq, but please, be real...:D

Solid D
04-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Well if Shaq, Amare and Nash hadn't let the shot clock expire with 19.5 seconds left in regulation, it might have been a Suns win. Wah, wah, wah, wah.... Nice poise.

mando6599
04-19-2008, 09:07 PM

Yeah but Nash is one of the NBA's premier floppers, come on, you have to know that. Just point that finger to Horry's hip check last year, after that Nash flopped and acted like a fish out of water. Look at the two charge calls for the Suns from Nash, total flops or whereas Duncan was concerned, TD missed Nash entirely.

Shaq can talk smack all he wants, but if he doesn't whiff on that first missed dunk, we may still be watching this game go into 3 or 4 overtimes right now.

Overall, Spurs called for more fouls than Suns and Suns shot and made more free throws than Spurs, even with all of our "flopping". Yet we still won. Smack that Shaq.

mando

my2sons
04-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Yes please I think the NBA should start assessing fouls on flops.

Ya that way raja bell can foul out in the first half

CubanMustGo
04-19-2008, 09:11 PM
More fouls were called on the Spurs than the Suns.
Suns took more free throws than Spurs.

Not to mention two Spurs fouled out at home, to just one Sun, Shaq got to play a decade with five fouls, etc. etc.

Meanwhile the Mavs got to shoot nearly 40 FTs at NO ... and still lost by 12.

Amare_32
04-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Ya that way raja bell can foul out in the first half

I just think flopping cheapens the game and players flop instead of playing good position defense.

MannyIsGod
04-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Spurs commited intentional fouls which adds to their total.

What Timvp said is the only thing that concerns me. I thought the defense today was great by Kurt Thomas, but will Shaq get calls simply for bitching now? It has worked in the past for people who complain about it so its a concern.

That being said, I think the Spurs take a shit load of confidence from this game, and I expect to see some great ass kicking in game 2.

Tek_XX
I think the reporters should ask how it feels to sit on the bench during crucial minutes cuse his big ass can't hit a FT.

MannyIsGod
Besides Shaq should stfu. He should have been gone in the fourth when Manu drove and Shaq "blocked" Manu's face errr his shot.

ThomasGranger
04-19-2008, 09:17 PM
I just think flopping cheapens the game and players flop instead of playing good position defense.

I just think whining after the game cheapens the game and players should just STFU and play ball.

Amare_32
04-19-2008, 09:24 PM
When fans from both teams complain about the refs that just tells me the game was called pretty evenly.

RonMexico
04-19-2008, 09:28 PM

Well, that first foul call on Shaq was a pretty blatant Oberto flop. The real mistakes were made by D'Antoni (overthinking it and going with Diaw and Barbosa on the final plays of regulation and OT) and then by Amare when he should have taken a foul-line jumper but instead plowed into Kurt Thomas.

I'm disappointed by the way the Suns closed the game.

Tek_XX
04-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Besides Shaq should stfu. He should have been gone in the fourth when Manu drove and Shaq "blocked" Manu's face errr his shot.

Yes Marc Jackson couldn't quit jacking off to Shaq's elbow block of Manu's face.

1Parker1
04-19-2008, 09:29 PM
When fans from both teams complain about the refs that just tells me the game was called pretty evenly.

I thought the game was evenly called. Their were bad calls both ways. Bad referreeing wasn't what won the game for the Spurs. They executed when it mattered most and showed patience on offense and defense. That's what got them the W. Not bad call here or there.

Cry Havoc
04-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Fuck him.
Eight of the last 9 rings belong to Duncan and Shaq. This game was an opportunity for one of them to shine. Duncan grabbed that opportunity and played his heart out. Shaq did nothing but get in foul trouble and now he's going to shoot his mouth off. It's disrespectful, but I expect no less from Shaq.

Prove it on the court, where it matters.

I hate Shaq more than any player I have ever watched in any professional sport. Man, it must be nice to talk shit when you outweigh everyone by a hundred pounds... what a -man- that takes.

He's become incredibly clumsy and has no work ethic at all anymore. He's the polar opposite of Tim Duncan.

lurker
04-19-2008, 09:32 PM
I just think whining after the game cheapens the game and players should just STFU and play ball.
I wish they'd all STFU during games and stop acting like they've been fouled every damn time they have the ball. It's like watching a bunch of freakishly tall toddlers out there throwing tantrums.

pad300
04-19-2008, 09:35 PM
This for Shaq and all the suns whiners bitching about flopping and the refereeing

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8052374/Duncan-delivers-as-Spurs-take-thrilling-Game-1

# According to my very unofficial count, the referees made one horrific call that favored the Spurs — a charge on Shaq when Oberto clearly flopped.

# At the same time, the three blind mice favored the Suns with a total of eight blatantly botched calls. The most important being a clean block on Stoudemire that went into the books as a foul on TD and a pair of made free throws.

Ref errors kept you in this one guys...

George Gervin's Afro
04-19-2008, 09:39 PM
We're in snack's head.. good.

SenorSpur
04-19-2008, 09:41 PM
According to Shaq's fat-ass, whenever there is failure present - it's always someone else's fault. He never takes responsibility for shit. It was someone else's fault in Orlando, LA, and Miami. It seems that the "son of a military man" always looks to blame everyone else for his woes.

ECZ
04-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Cant blame him...he's gotta talk tough after his guarantee

sanman53
04-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Shaq: Make your free-throws.

peskypesky
04-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Laughing at Shaq trying to talk smack after a loss. Tim Duncan lets his game do the talking.

Amare_32
04-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Laughing at Shaq trying to talk smack after a loss. Tim Duncan lets his game do the talking.

Yes we know Tim even walks on water he can turn water into wine.

Tek_XX
04-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Shaq likes to talk tough, act tough, but deep inside he's nothing but a cuddly teddy bear.

PlayoffEx-static
04-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Shaq is just sad now. Looking at his FT numbers for another discussion, I looked at his overall stats and it's pretty clear that he's breaking down physically, and his game is pretty much circling the bowl at this point. The same thing happened to David, but at least he was a class act, and not some sore loser loudmouth. It's always good to have the class to fall back on. Unfortunately, O'Neal has always played the clown and pretty much said anything that crossed that empty mind of his.

bigfan
04-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Too bad Shaq has to ruin a pretty damn good performance with an assnine comment.

BiZNicK
04-19-2008, 10:03 PM
lol

flapping your gums doesn't get you rings

Go ask Sheed, last season

Budkin
04-19-2008, 10:25 PM
I love getting in Shaq's head. He can't stand the fact that Timmy owns his ass now.

Whisky Dog
04-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Shaq knows that was their best stuff and it got rejected. He's scared. His mouth starts running when he knows he's beaten because he has no other way to vent his anger and fright.

OldDirtMcGirt
04-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Shaq knows that was their best stuff and it got rejected. He's scared. His mouth starts running when he knows he's beaten because he has no other way to vent his anger and fright.

Because his best stuff is playing a whopping five minutes in the first half?

peskypesky
04-19-2008, 11:28 PM

That's all he played?!?! Ha-ha!:rollin:flag:

LilMissSPURfect
04-19-2008, 11:30 PM
"Dear" Shaq: Manu was 0-6 on threes, bitch. Just wait until Tuesday.

X2

Whisky Dog
04-19-2008, 11:31 PM

Look at the wording bro. THEIR best shot. Nash, Amare, Diaw, and Boboso won't play any better. They were better with Shaq on the pine anyway. He was a 400 lbs fat ass traffic cone for Manu and Parker to abuse all 2nd half.

BonnerDynasty
04-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Don't get too carried away with this win. After today, that game means nothing.

We will be lucky if Shaq can stay out of most of the game in foul trouble for 6 more games.

Trainwreck2100
04-19-2008, 11:33 PM
whose man was left wide fucking open for the game tying three in the first OT???

OldDirtMcGirt
04-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Look at the wording bro. THEIR best shot. Nash, Amare, Diaw, and Boboso won't play any better. They were better with Shaq on the pine anyway. He was a 400 lbs fat ass traffic cone for Manu and Parker to abuse all 2nd half.

Because Grant Hill scoring five points, Barbosa scoring below his season average, and both Nash and Stoudemire shooting under 50% from the field is clearly our best. Not to mention the whole Shaq playing like crap thing.

WildcardManu
04-19-2008, 11:38 PM
According to Shaq's fat-ass, whenever there is failure present - it's always someone else's fault. He never takes responsibility for shit. It was someone else's fault in Orlando, LA, and Miami. It seems that the "son of a military man" always looks to blame everyone else for his woes.

Yeah that army brat life taught him it's ok to make a mess of things because he can just move somewhere else.

Whisky Dog
04-20-2008, 12:05 AM
Because Grant Hill scoring five points, Barbosa scoring below his season average, and both Nash and Stoudemire shooting under 50% from the field is clearly our best. Not to mention the whole Shaq playing like crap thing.

There's only one rock. Grant Hill putting up more shots and Boboso putting up more shots means less for Amare and Nash.

Plus, 400 lbs fat ass traffic cone has been just that since he arrived in he middle of the fucking desert. Their defense has sucked and they dropped from 1 to 6 in the west with that fat slob. The Spurs gave away the 1st half, had the majority of close calls go against them, and still won. The Suns arent a good team, the Spurs just mostly continued their struggles until the 4th.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-20-2008, 12:25 AM

It's called defense you dumbass. And you act like Manu is going to go 10-24 and Bowen's going to score as many points as a dead man every night.

BiZNicK
04-20-2008, 12:41 AM
i was LMAO on this one play where manu drove to the lane from the right side, and shaq stepped aside and was like "after you, Manu"

lol petrified puppy....

Demo Dick Marcinko
04-20-2008, 12:54 AM

Let me clue you in, it's a concept unknown in Phoenix called defense. The way the Spurs played defense had a lot to do with how things started turning in 2nd half.

No one's fault that snaq ended up with foul trouble but his, and truthfully the suns were better without him. I'd like to see the +/- differential with big boi out.

Manudona
04-20-2008, 12:56 AM
Props to Nash, one of the few no-spurs that let his clutch game speak for him, his teammates should learn from him

Dre_7
04-20-2008, 01:14 AM
The funny thing is, Shaq doesnt realize that his teammates flop just as much. Lmao. Suns shot more FTs AND had less fouls called against them. Shut the fuck up Shaq!

Xylus
04-20-2008, 01:15 AM
Bad form by Shaq. Now's the time to put up and shut up.

O-Factor
04-20-2008, 01:20 AM
When a Fatty steamrolls you, you fall down.

callo1
04-20-2008, 01:39 AM
No suprises from Shaqsqueal O'meal. I expect nothing more from that fatass, washed-up moron. What the media sees in that arrogant blubbering PoS I have no idea.

http://i30.tinypic.com/2bzmz5.jpg

O-Factor
04-20-2008, 01:46 AM
Shaq is just a cunt who never gives any opponent respect or props. Nothing new there with fatty.

Princess Pimp
04-20-2008, 02:42 AM
Shaq Knows what he's talking about

Pero
04-20-2008, 04:40 AM
Shaq Knows what he's talking about

Well, but since you don't, then it follows that your above statement is wrong, so Shaq doesn't either. :lol

JPB
04-20-2008, 05:02 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/7e/fullj.77bbb3b043d3896b2c72882ee1e40b6e/77bbb3b043d3896b2c72882ee1e40b6e-getty-80358526jm001_suns_spurs.jpg

Great pic.

1. Shaq's face

2. The purple shirt girl on the right.

3. The yellow shirt guy on the top right.

temujin
04-20-2008, 05:08 AM
Yes.

O'neal will play 40' and score 25 points.

Amare will be >60%, Barbosa and Bell will hit 10 3', Nash will distribute 15 assists.

And the Suns will still loose to the Spurs.

That's how life goes.

Kobayagi
04-20-2008, 05:47 AM
3. The yellow shirt guy on the top right.

"Oh noes!!!!!!!"

:lmao

Pero
04-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Not surprising... :lol

"In our minds, we feel the series should be 2-2," Suns big man Shaquille O'Neal said. "We let the first one slip away."

Had he said could instead of should, he'd be right.