PDA

View Full Version : XBox or PS2?

Bandit2981
01-18-2005, 11:04 PM
im thinking of buying either the xbox or PS2, but im not sure which one is better...they are both about the same price, have many of the same games...is there any noticeable difference between the 2? are the graphics better on one or the other? thoughts? suggestions?

Uncle Donnie
01-18-2005, 11:09 PM
XBox = better graphics, better controllers
PS2 = bigger selection of games

It basically comes down to the games you want. If they are on both systems, I'd go with the XBox.

They are cheap enough to own both now.

exstatic
01-18-2005, 11:21 PM
XBox = non-mandatory Microsoft shit.

T Park
01-18-2005, 11:46 PM
XBOX far and away.

best part?? you can burn your own music to the system and listen to that instead of the game's crappy music.

Duff McCartney
01-19-2005, 12:01 AM
The majority of the good Xbox games have an excellent soundtrack.

Uncle Donnie
01-19-2005, 12:09 AM
XBox = non-mandatory Microsoft shit.

Such as?

Ducks, is that you?

exstatic
01-19-2005, 12:21 AM
I don't buy anything MS that isn't an OS, and I usually stay one or two rungs down that ladder. Thank heavens that Sony is big enough to fight them off. I'll be damned if I'll support their non-competitive business practices if there's an easy way to avoid it, and a good alternative. I'll be rockin' a PSX as soon as practical.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-19-2005, 12:32 AM
the X-box is tight, i like that it has memory, save game progress, save music, if you like playing sports games, X-box live is pretty cool, you can play other people instead of playing the computer all the time, I'd suggest X-box, unless you wanna play GTA san andreas, then you probably wanna go w/PS2

Duff McCartney
01-19-2005, 12:42 AM
unless you wanna play GTA san andreas, then you probably wanna go w/PS2

You can just wait until it comes out for the Xbox...it'll be better on the Xbox anyway.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-19-2005, 01:11 AM
I'll be damned if I'll support their non-competitive business practices if there's an easy way to avoid it, and a good alternative

You mean like signing agreements with companies like EA and the GTA folks to delay game releases, or not include things like online capability?

Or the fact that you have to turn around and shell out $30 for a 8 MB memory card to even save a game on, while the Xbox gives you a couple gigs?

If you don't wanna have to be spending more money to do simple things like saving a game right off the bat, go with Xbox.

If you like the idea of dropping $30 to buy 8 MB of ram when the Xbox comes with 500 times that, go with the PS2.

Uncle Donnie
01-19-2005, 01:20 AM
Ditto what AHF said. Sony is definitely no better than Microsoft as far as "non-competitive business practices" when it comes to games. In fact you could easily argue that they're worse.

manustarting2gd
01-19-2005, 01:30 AM
X marks the spot.

Drachen
01-19-2005, 02:29 AM
Xbox, because of mod chips, you can watch divX movies, play atari 2600-nintendo 64 games, as well as the aforementioned reasons.

xcoriate
01-19-2005, 03:53 AM
ps2 everyday of the week, theres a reason sony sales > xbox sales

Spurgal
01-19-2005, 04:34 AM
XBOX along with HALO 2

baseline bum
01-19-2005, 07:57 AM
XBox easily. The graphics processor is way better and the cpu is clocked 3 times as high (although its an 8-register Pentium 3 vs. Sony's 30-register MIPS).

XBox and Microsoft games are the only MS products I'd ever shell out money for, because they're IMO the only thing worthwhile the company puts out (with the exception of their compilers, which although expensive as shit are at least worth it due to the complexity of the software). Their OS's are garbage and their office is ridiculously overpriced.

maxpower
01-19-2005, 09:05 AM
ps2 everyday of the week, theres a reason sony sales > xbox sales

It may be called the lemming theory.

As for the point of Sony's business practices being better than MS. :lol :lol :lol

I'm with Aggie and Uncle D.

Ex...you do realize Sony is the company that has always pushed it's proprietary hardware? Minidisc. Memory Stick. Incompatible with anything but Sony. You can buy 256 mB of memory on SD card for about $15 at least during the holidays. 256 mb of memory stick? $80. After all the years, minidisc prices have never gone down. DVD-r? super cheap.

How about Sony's attempt to squeeze every single penny from the gamer?
They had the opportunity to include a modem with the ps2 after the dreamcast did it. After all, everyone knows that aftermarket hardware upgrades only make up single % digits in attach rate. It took them close to three years to pony up and change their hardware.
Controller ports? After nintendo went with standard 4 ports on it's N64 and then Sega following the lead on it's Dreamcast, Sony decided to screw the gamers and force them to spend $40 additional to play with more than one person.
Hard drive? Again Sony had the opportunity to include it. They did not. As mentioned they decided to charge the consumer $40 for 8 mB of memory.(!!!???!! 8 mB?) BTW XBox included a 10 Gig harddrive. Sony instead promised an addon harddrive. It did come out with Final Fantasy XI or 12. That was an additional $50 dollars. Remember the attach rate? Neither did sony. They have since redesigned their ps2 to make it smaller. Oh yeah. The harddrive is no longer compatible with the new model. And the old model is no longer made.

Hmmmmm? Sony may not be as big as MS but they sure do know how to screw the gamers.

tlongII
01-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Get a baseball, basketball, or football and go outside and get some exercise!

CommanderMcBragg
01-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Get a baseball, basketball, or football and go outside and get some exercise!

I agree! Or better yet, pick up a book and read.

Experiment2100
01-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Halo 2!!!!!!!

<---------

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Xbox, because of mod chips, you can watch divX movies, play atari 2600-nintendo 64 games, as well as the aforementioned reasons.

I think I still have 40GB left of space on my drive and I have a few movies/TV shows and a ton of games on it already.

Jimcs50
01-19-2005, 10:59 AM
PS2 is better, you can use as DVD player too.

Useruser666
01-19-2005, 11:02 AM
PS2 is better, you can use as DVD player too.

Xbox can play DVDs too. With $30 option that is.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Xbox can play DVDs too. With $30 option that is.

That'll buy you the DVD kit. But if you mod it (while it costs more when you add the modchip and HD), you can use your Xbox controller to play any media file (DVD, MPEG, DivX, etc.)

Useruser666
01-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Just buy a computer. :lol

bigzak25
01-19-2005, 11:22 AM
ok. i want my xbox modified. how do i get that done....and how much am i looking at.

all i really want is a remote power on, power off.

Duff McCartney
01-19-2005, 12:46 PM
The thing that I found ridiculous is that alot of people bought the PS2 because it was backwards compatible with the PS1. That's incredibly stupid. Why would you shell out money just to play old games?

Then I hear alot of people cry that the new PS that is gonna be coming out....is not gonna be backwards compatible. Now people are jumping off boats....call me crazy but if it was 1992...I wouldn't shell out 200 bucks to buy a Super Nintendo because it could play the first Nintendo games.

bigzak25
01-19-2005, 12:55 PM
well the only game i play is madden, and if/when the new xbox comes out, the graphics would have to be pretty phenomenal to get me to dish out what is likely to be another 300 dollars.....

Medvedenko
01-19-2005, 02:20 PM
XBOX
Halo 2, Fable....etc.

MosesGuthrie
01-19-2005, 02:26 PM
2600, baybee! :lmao

http://www.atari-stuff.de/atari-logo.gif

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-19-2005, 05:43 PM
how do u get a mod chip? how much does it cost, and what kind of things does it allow?

blackbucket
01-19-2005, 06:07 PM
If you have never owned either, XBox is the way to go.

I have a PS2 and will not switch. There is no point. I'm not a serious gamer. Sporting titles, GTA SA, and that's about it.

ALVAREZ6
01-19-2005, 06:41 PM
Here's the breakdown.

PS2 is better for Sports games.

Xbox is better for action games. ( With the exception of all GTA's )

PS2's advantage is watching DVD's without paying for the DVD remote as you have to on Xbox.

Xbox's advantage is no fucking memory cards needed.

Uncle Donnie
01-19-2005, 08:24 PM
PS2 is better for Sports games

??? I own both and in general I wouldn't consider buying a sports game on PS2 if it were also on XBOX. The XBOX versions are pretty much always better, especially the ESPN games.

xcoriate
01-19-2005, 11:42 PM
If you want a computer, get an xbox.

If you want a games console, get a ps2

maxpower
01-19-2005, 11:57 PM
If you want a computer, get a computer.

If you want a games console, get an xbox

fixed.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-20-2005, 12:27 AM
The whole "play DVDs on your PS2" thing cracks me up. In this day and age, who doesn't own a DVD player that is looking to buy a gaming console?

Spurminator
01-20-2005, 12:49 AM
I got an XBox from work and sold my PS2 to GameStop.

Not being the gaming expert, though, my dumb ass bought a memory card for the XBox.

KEDA
01-20-2005, 01:00 AM
XBOX 2 is going to be late 2006 or early 2007

PS 3 will be mid to late 2006 just in time for CHRISTMAS!!

Experiment2100
01-20-2005, 01:43 AM
I wouldn't shell out 200 bucks to buy a Super Nintendo because it could play the first Nintendo games.

I would, did anyone else have to use a second game and sandwich it into the console just to get it to work.

maxpower
01-20-2005, 06:44 AM
XBOX 2 is going to be late 2006 or early 2007

PS 3 will be mid to late 2006 just in time for CHRISTMAS!!

It's time to change your sig. It's rubbing off.

Rumors have it the other way around.

I agree with AHF...I've yet to use my xbox to play a movie dvd.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-20-2005, 10:00 AM
ok. i want my xbox modified. how do i get that done....and how much am i looking at.

all i really want is a remote power on, power off.

This is the guy I went to. If you take it by his house, he'll move you to the front line on orders.

http://xbo.cx/

bigzak25
01-20-2005, 10:07 AM
thanks JB!

KEDA
01-21-2005, 09:55 AM
It's time to change your sig. It's rubbing off.

Rumors have it the other way around.

I agree with AHF...I've yet to use my xbox to play a movie dvd.

Ohh, sooo sorry

didnt mean to get your panties all in a bunch!

SpursWoman
01-21-2005, 10:17 AM
I got PS2 not too long ago because after a few years our PS1 finally crapped out....and yes, I bought it because it played the games my kids already had....and I honestly don't GAF enough about video games to: 1) tell the difference between any of them and 2.) waste money having to buy all new games (and the same games in the different format) when I could like, buy a new pair of shoes or something....so don't listen to my opinion. :lol

Having to buy memory cards is a PITA, though.....and AHF, if you're paying $30 for an 8M card you're getting robbed. They're only $20 at Game Stop. :fro

On second thought, I did have DDR on my mind when I made the purchase...from what I could tell Playstation had more of the DDR games available, but somehow I doubt you'd be too much into that. :nerd

Shelly
01-21-2005, 10:36 AM
We have both.

That was a lot of help, huh?

maxpower
01-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Ohh, sooo sorry

didnt mean to get your panties all in a bunch!

Nice comeback. How long did it take you to come up with that?

KEDA
01-21-2005, 11:26 AM
sorry to offend you MAXPOWER

I screwed up on a RUMOR

and for that you have my sincerest apology!

maxpower
01-21-2005, 11:45 AM
No offense taken. :smokin
I blame it all on sas. His face causes me to go into a furious rage. :angel

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Spurswoman,

When I was looking at getting one or the other two years ago, that's what the 8 MB card was. The sales guy tried like hell to get me to buy the PS2, and I just laughed and took the Xbox and it's big old hard drive and walked away. I'd hope they're cheaper now, but Sony should be including it for free.

SpursWoman
01-21-2005, 12:18 PM
I figured it was probably a while back, but I'd never pass up an opportunity to be a smart ass :)

The cards are the only thing that bothers me about it...

maxpower
01-21-2005, 02:29 PM
The cards are the only thing that bothers me about it...

How about the multiplayer adaptor? You might not have need for more than two players at a time ..but if your kids want to play any of those party games with 4 players..you'll need it. It's hard to believe the Nintendo 64 had 4 controller ports and Sega followed with the Dreamcast..but of course sony was too good for that. XBox and Nintendo Gamecube have 4 ports as well. :pctoss

Duff McCartney
01-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Not being the gaming expert, though, my dumb ass bought a memory card for the XBox.

That's not a bad thing to have...I know I have my Halo profile saved on Maxpowers Xbox...but when we link up two of them, it's not on the second one. So the memory card lets me transfer my profile to the other Xbox no problem.

It's a good thing to have for transferring stuff...but as far as saving the games...it's a freaking waste. Better to have the HD than a memory card.

SpursWoman
01-21-2005, 03:35 PM
How about the multiplayer adaptor? You might not have need for more than two players at a time ..but if your kids want to play any of those party games with 4 players..you'll need it. It's hard to believe the Nintendo 64 had 4 controller ports and Sega followed with the Dreamcast..but of course sony was too good for that. XBox and Nintendo Gamecube have 4 ports as well. :pctoss

I haven't come across that problem yet...... :(

Bandit2981
01-21-2005, 06:09 PM
well, after much thought and deliberation, i decided i would rather get the PS2...i have lots of PS1 games i still would like to play every now and then, so the double compatibility is a plus. i have memory cards as well, so that problem is also solved. the GTA series is probably my favorite, which is why i ultimately decided to go with PS2 over Xbox...as far as graphics are concerned, im going to buy a component video cable to make the graphics kick ass...if you arent using component video for your PS2, Xbox, or DVD player, you are really missing out :)

maxpower
01-21-2005, 06:24 PM
Inevitably ..it's about the games.
The one reason I am contemplating getting a gamecube at some point is for the Resident Evil series. But and a big but is I would rather play them in full visual AND audio glory. Since Gamecube does not support Dolby Digital that really keeps me from being too anxious to get it.
Which leads me to ps2...from what I've read apparently it does not support true 5.1 DD...but since I don't have one I'm not sure if it does...anyone know.