PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: The same drama, the same outcome, and the same Suns

some_user86
04-20-2008, 01:47 AM
Buck Harvey: The same drama, the same outcome, and the same Suns

Web Posted: 04/20/2008 12:05 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Shaquille O'Neal has changed the Suns. Now they complain more than they used to.

"The floppers prevailed," Shaq said.

That's Shaq. He's from the Phil Jackson school of spin, where an analysis of officiating is required after every playoff loss.

"Hopefully, those guys will compete," he said of the Spurs, "rather than just fall down."

The Spurs fell down — usually after bouncing off of Shaq after another successful layup. The Spurs scored a remarkable 72 points in the paint, similar to past playoff series against Phoenix, and that defines how Shaq has changed the Suns.

Now there's a 325-pound, sweaty, bald man watching as the Spurs score.

Shaq's postgame tone differed from his coach's. Mike D'Antoni wasn't frustrated or angry or defensive. This time D'Antoni knew he was part of something special.

"I guess they are not going to go easy," he joked of the Spurs.

D'Antoni might feel worse when he reviews the tape, because the Suns should have won, just as they should have won last year. They had double-digit leads as Tony Parker stumbled around with a quasi-concussion, and they seemed as in control at the end of regulation.

Gregg Popovich went against his usual strategy when behind by three points, and what followed with Michael Finley was planned. What came at the end of the first overtime wasn't. A rivalry that had produced the Nash Gash and the Horry Hip-check came with another dramatic nickname. The Tim Trey.

Or, as Brent Barry kidded Tim Duncan, "It's about time you did something like that."

Duncan's first three of the season is what this game will be remembered for, when it was really about what Duncan did inside. He scored with his left and one-step drives, and along the way he put the Phoenix frontline in foul trouble.

He did as much damage to the pre-series theme. O'Neal, after all, was brought in to solve the Duncan problem for Phoenix, and two earlier games against the Spurs said that was happening. Then Duncan was 15 of 40.

Still, Shaq has always been notorious for not defending pick-and-rolls, and he wasn't a Duncan stopper even in his prime. When the Spurs eliminated the Lakers in the 2003 playoffs, Shaq moved over to Duncan — and Duncan scored 11 straight on his way to 37 points.

He would have had 40, as he did Saturday, but a late 3-pointer wasn't necessary.

Shaq is still capable of an impressive dunk and a few blocks. But he's clearly slower than he was in 2003, while Duncan isn't. Going by Saturday, Duncan's aging process is going in the opposite direction of Miguel Tejada's.

But it wasn't just what Duncan did inside. As the game went on, and the Spurs stuck to their pound-the-rock mantra, Manu Ginobili and Parker took turns making layups, many of them around Shaq, many of them uncontested.

Shaq's excuse Saturday was officiating and the Spurs' tactics, and he might have had a call or two go against him. This wasn't a top-tier officiating crew in the AT&T Center.

But just as Jackson taught him this, Jackson also tried to protect his center. Shaq rarely guarded Duncan in those days until the fourth quarter because the Lakers were afraid he would get in foul trouble.

The fear is real. In the two games earlier this season, when Shaq held down Duncan, Shaq also finished with a combined nine fouls.

If Shaq suffered a foul he didn't deserve Saturday, then he should have gotten his sixth in the final minute of regulation. Ginobili drove and Shaq got away with a shove. When the Suns scored, going up by three, the no-call appeared critical.

Finley's three followed and, at the end of the first overtime, Amare Stoudemire had a chance to end the game. With the Suns again ahead by three points, with the ball at the free-throw line, Stoudemire chose to lunge at the basket.

Kurt Thomas took the charge, and it was no flop. It was smart taking advantage of dumb.

Duncan's three came after that, and Steve Nash matched him at the end of the second overtime. Would this be the day that Nash, the recipient of both the bloody nose and the hip-check, got back at the Spurs?

Ginobili instead took the ball and drove, with Stoudemire fouled out and Shaq on the bench, and the Suns reacted Saturday as they have before. No one came over to help.

Just as it was before Shaq arrived.

[email protected]

LINK: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042008.01C.COL.BKNharvey.spurs.387b55b.html

WildcardManu
04-20-2008, 01:55 AM
Same old Sons

bdictjames
04-20-2008, 01:56 AM
Wow, blowing a 16-point lead

I didn't catch the game but this doesn't look good for the Suns.

some_user86
04-20-2008, 01:59 AM
Finley's three followed and, at the end of the first overtime, Amare Stoudemire had a chance to end the game. With the Suns again ahead by three points, with the ball at the free-throw line, Stoudemire chose to lunge at the basket.

Kurt Thomas took the charge, and it was no flop. It was smart taking advantage of dumb.

:rollin

Ginobili instead took the ball and drove, with Stoudemire fouled out and Shaq on the bench, and the Suns reacted Saturday as they have before. No one came over to help.

Just as it was before Shaq arrived.

Xylus
04-20-2008, 02:02 AM

Holding on to a 16-point lead on the road against the defending champions is an extremely difficult thing to do. I'm not worried if I'm the Suns. We're just as capable of erasing a big lead.

Phenomanul
04-20-2008, 02:04 AM

QFT... :toast

J.T.
04-20-2008, 02:04 AM
I seem to recall the Suns blowing an 18 point lead against the Spurs last season in Phoenix.

some_user86
04-20-2008, 02:05 AM

The phrase that "No lead is safe with Phoenix" applies both ways.

MannyIsGod
04-20-2008, 02:06 AM

Phenomanul
04-20-2008, 02:10 AM
Looks like the Media has dubbed Duncan's shot as:

Tim's Trey... simple but efficient.

Trainwreck2100
04-20-2008, 02:13 AM
Tims trey??

Why do people feel the need to name shit. Seriously how many game winning threes does Tim Duncan have, that when someone brings it up we won't know exactly which one they are talking about.

Supreme_Being
04-20-2008, 02:32 AM

Ditto. The game was at 3:30 in the morning, right?

milkyway21
04-20-2008, 03:23 AM
I'm disappointed about ShaQ's post-game interview saying the Spurs prevailed because they flopped so much.

Let's prove him wrong guys!

carina_gino20
04-20-2008, 03:32 AM
Looks like the Media has dubbed Duncan's shot as:

Tim's Trey... simple but efficient.

It seems underwhelming.

L.I.T
04-20-2008, 03:34 AM
Ditto. The game was at 3:30 in the morning, right?

Unfortunately, it was around that time.

jag
04-20-2008, 03:36 AM
Tims trey??

Why do people feel the need to name shit. Seriously how many game winning threes does Tim Duncan have, that when someone brings it up we won't know exactly which one they are talking about.

Agreed.

Tim's trey sounds kinda gay...

I'm content in saying "hey, do you remember that three Duncan hit in the first round against phoenix a few years back?"

Supreme_Being
04-20-2008, 03:37 AM
Yeah, and I have to wake up early today, otherwise, I would have stayed up late just to watch the game.

milkyway21
04-20-2008, 03:49 AM
Same old Sons
if San Antonio will make a statue of Duncan someday I want it like in the middle of your sig -with arms stretched...:lol:lobt2::lobt2:

angel_luv
04-20-2008, 07:55 AM
This article by Harvey is pure gold - is even more delicious than my free coffee from Valero ( thank you Spurs.)

I seriously want to clip and frame this entire Harvey column.

He left nothing unsaid and phrased it all brilliantly.

:tu :tu

polandprzem
04-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Damn Buck is such a homer

Shaq is fouling?
That what I said when they aquired him.
Good the spurs won. The challange is game two. I hate Shaq as much as possibly can be. Damn Kobe earned some respect from me but the fatty guy never did and never will. Send his ass to the desert.

WalterBenitez
04-20-2008, 07:59 AM
anything news out there? :sleep

m33p0
04-20-2008, 08:06 AM

i'm still hoping RPN would show a replay. gaddamn global destiny monopolized BTV and i don't have NBATv. wahhhh!!!:ihit

Borosai
04-20-2008, 08:13 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see SnaqAttaq foul extra hard next game, especially Parker and Ginobili inside. He already sounds frustrated.

boutons_
04-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Shaq in (early) foul trouble? Shaq fouling out?

We've never seen it in Shaq's career. It was the huge surprise in Sat's game. Shaq is an athletic, intelligent, subtle player with his body in full control.

remingtonbo2001
04-20-2008, 08:54 AM
This article by Harvey is pure gold - is even more delicious than my free coffee from Valero ( thank you Spurs.)

Free coffee is the best coffee.

tp2021
04-20-2008, 08:58 AM
The Spurs scored a remarkable 72 points in the paint, similar to past playoff series against Phoenix, and that defines how Shaq has changed the Suns.

:lol

Tim's trey sounds kinda gay...

I'm content in saying "hey, do you remember that three Duncan hit in the first round against phoenix a few years back?"

i've already started sayin, "did you see timmy's three? he sent it into double-overtime!"

stepmonkey
04-20-2008, 09:12 AM
The Spurs scored a remarkable 72 points in the paint, similar to past playoff series against Phoenix, and that defines how Shaq has changed the Suns.

:rollin

m33p0
04-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Free coffee is the best coffee.
i don't know, man. sometimes free coffee is actually turpentine.

Spurs Brazil
04-20-2008, 11:54 AM

:lol

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-20-2008, 01:16 PM
I hope the refs are even more tight with the calls with Shaq because of this bitching

ClingingMars
04-20-2008, 01:23 PM
I hope the refs are even more tight with the calls with Shaq because of this bitching

I agree with SD21.

Somebody shoot me. :pctoss

- Mars

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-20-2008, 01:27 PM
I agree with SD21.

Somebody shoot me. :pctoss

- Mars

most of what I say is true