PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Parker contends with 'pounding headache'

some_user86
04-20-2008, 01:47 AM
Spurs Notebook: Parker contends with 'pounding headache'

Web Posted: 04/19/2008 10:51 PM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

Spurs point guard Tony Parker sported a large lump on his left temple after Saturday's Game 1, the result of a collision with Suns forward Amare Stoudemire's knee on the very first play of the game.

As Parker dived for a loose ball after a missed shot by Suns center Shaquille O'Neal, his head hit Stoudemire's knee.

Parker remained in the game until 2:50 remained in the first quarter, when he was replaced by Jacque Vaughn.

When he left the game, Parker complained of impaired vision and was sent to the locker room to be examined by team doctors and trainer Will Sevening.

"It was like dark," he said. "It was weird. I just wanted to make sure I was OK, so I went to see the doctors and did some eye tests and some neck tests, because my neck was hurting. My neck's going to be sore tomorrow."

Parker returned to the bench just before the start of the second period, and re-entered the game when the quarter began. He played the remainder of the Spurs' first-round series-opening victory with what he called a pounding headache.

"The docs told me it was OK to play," he said. "He just told me if the darkness was coming back, or it was weird, I should stop (playing) the game. But it was hard for me to stop playing. It was the first game of the playoffs.

"The second half it was better. It was just a big headache, so it was OK."

Parker fouled out of the game with 2:04 remaining in the second overtime, after which Manu Ginobili took over as the Spurs' point guard.

Parker declared Ginobili's point guard work a success, but said it was hard to appreciate fully because of his headache.

"He did good," Parker said. "My head was pounding so much, it was time for me to get out anyway."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich didn't know Parker would be injured in the early going, but playing Ginobili at the point was part of his pregame plan.

"I knew today the chances of playing some point guard were going to be big," Ginobili said. "(Popovich) told me before the game. It didn't surprise me, but it gave me the opportunity to have the ball in my hands more to create, either for me or somebody else."

Well-earned rest: Popovich gave his players a day of rest after Saturday's physically draining game.

Ginobili, who played 45 minutes, said the off day was welcomed by all.

"It was very long," he said of Saturday's game, which lasted 3 hours, 21 minutes. "We are very tired, especially the guys who played the most.

"(The Suns) are going to be tired, too. It was long. A lot of tension and pressure, too. It's great that we've got a couple of days to rest."

Rusty Barry: Spurs guard Brent Barry's free-throw miss with 19.5 seconds remaining in the second overtime Saturday was just his second this season.

Having played in only 31 games during a season that included two long stints on the injured list — plus a 30-day hiatus after his trade to, and release by, Seattle — Barry went into the postseason having made 19 of 20 free throws.

Foul mood: The Suns weren't thrilled with how the fouls were distributed on Saturday — both the timing of their fouls and the nature of some of the Spurs' fouls.

Shaquille O'Neal picked up two fouls in the first quarter and a third early in the second period. He played only 30 minutes, 20 seconds of the 55-minute game, in part because of his own foul trouble and in part because the Spurs forced him to the bench by employing the "Hack-A-Shaq" intentional-foul tactic.

"The fouls really hurt us tonight," Suns guard Raja Bell said, "and it's a real shame, because we had a very good plan to work against the Spurs. We never gave Shaq a chance to get into a solid rhythm and make his shots."

O'Neal's response to the Spurs' use of Hack-A-Shaq: "If you have to use mathematical strategies to beat me, it won't work."

[email protected]

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT: MICHAEL FINLEY

- 48 minutes
- 13 points
- 5-11 FGM-FGA
- 3-8 3PM-3PA
- 3 rebounds

On an afternoon when Tim Duncan hit a 3-pointer to send the game into double-overtime, Michael Finley's three with 15.1 seconds left in regulation almost got lost in the shuffle. But had Finley not made his shot, Duncan never would have had the chance to make his.

- Mike Monroe

HOW THE GAME WAS WON

This is as simple as it gets: The Spurs made just enough big shots and the Suns did not. The biggest make for the Spurs was Tim Duncan's 3-pointer with three seconds left in the first overtime, and the Spurs trailing, 104-101. The biggest miss for the Suns was Boris Diaw's blown layup with 24.9 seconds left and the Spurs ahead, 114-112. Then there was Manu Ginobili's game-winner with 1.8 seconds left on a drive to the rim not much different than Diaw's. Makes and misses. It's how every game is won ... and lost.

- Mike Monroe

HIDDEN STAT

30 perimeter points

The box score shows that the Spurs scored 72 points in the paint. Look a little more deeply inside the numbers and you will see they also made 15 of 23 free throws. That means they scored only 30 points on perimeter shots, and what that really means is they were able to get to the rim with regularity and that Tim Duncan was able to operate in the post with great effectiveness.

- Mike Monroe

LINK: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA20080420.13C.NZ.State.13CSpursNotebook0420.387 bc06.html

SpurCapita
04-20-2008, 02:34 AM
Hopefully that collision accounted for Parker's poor play at the beginning of the game. As I recall, he had a couple of turnovers and a missed shot, and was a big reason for our bad start. As long as he starts next game with a chip on his shoulder instead of a lump on his head, the Spurs should be better off.

DespЏrado
04-20-2008, 03:43 AM
Nice to know the Spurs can look forward to improved play from Parker in the next game. We can't play catchup every game with the Suns.

Hope Parker's head feels better soon.

Mark in Austin
04-20-2008, 09:01 AM
The health of Parker and Ginobili concerns me. When they're at 100%, it is almost impossible to beat the Spurs in a seven game series.

Hopefully the extra minutes didn't further weaken Manu's groin and Parker is able to recover fully from his concussion.

SpursFanFirst
04-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Parker had me nervous there...I'm so glad he was OK!
What a trouper!

resistanze
04-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Amare is dirty!