PDA

View Full Version : Oliver: Shots of Fate

some_user86
04-20-2008, 01:47 AM
Shots of fate?

Web Posted: 04/19/2008 11:42 PM CDT

Richard Oliver
San Antonio Express-News

If, come June, the Spurs lift another championship trophy into a raining swirl of confetti, they well may look back on a heartbeat of a moment Saturday at the AT&T Center as the reason why.

Then, with the postseason's opening game — and perhaps so much more — in the balance, the team's quiet giant of a leader, Tim Duncan, unexpectedly found himself alone with the ball, an imposing 24 feet from the basket with time bleeding away in overtime.

The big man didn't hesitate, lifting an arcing prayer of a shot that found nothing but net with three seconds left to force a second overtime against the rival Phoenix Suns.

When, a few moments later, Manu Ginobili snaked to the basket for the decisive score with 1.8 seconds remaining in a 117-115 victory, it was the exclamation point in a thriller that undoubtedly will rank with any in the Spurs' playoff history.

The emotional playoff rematch of bitter adversaries saw the Spurs roar back from a 16-point first-half deficit. Michael Finley's off-balance 3-pointer with 15 seconds remaining forced the first overtime.

But the victory well may be defined by Duncan, who has constructed a Hall of Fame career in the lane, joining past Spurs such as Sean Elliott and Steve Kerr in staring down the basket just inches from the 3-point stripe.

And, in a heartbeat, changing the course of a game, a postseason — and perhaps so much more.

LINK: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042008.01A.SPURS.387b3be.html

ShoogarBear
04-20-2008, 02:02 AM
Steve Kerr? :pctoss

Supreme_Being
04-20-2008, 02:38 AM
If Duncan could sink threes on a regular basis, I wonder how much impact he could make.

Princess Pimp
04-20-2008, 02:39 AM
Suns in 5 or 6

Supreme_Being
04-20-2008, 02:48 AM
Suns in 5 or 6

You're way dumber than Snaq.

sprrs
04-20-2008, 02:59 AM
Steve Kerr? :pctoss

And no Horry.

jag
04-20-2008, 03:03 AM
If Duncan could sink threes on a regular basis, I wonder how much impact he could make.

Ya...i wonder if we'd be able to win the "big one" and get one of these :lobt: