PDA

View Full Version : PJ might be cut loose

tp2021
04-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Rumor has it that the players haven't responded well to PJ, and it could lead to him getting sacked, regardless of his tie with Presti. If PJ were to be out of a job, would/could/should the Spurs organization make a move to get him back on the coaching staff?

Harry Callahan
04-20-2008, 11:27 AM
In a minute they would hire him. I hope he would get a little more time with the Sonics - that roster was NOT good. They will be my second favorite team now they are in OKC and have all the Spurs ties.

boutons_
04-20-2008, 11:28 AM
hmm, very interesting situation.

If he's cut loose for losing the players in one season, I figure his NBA head coach days are over. Ballas don't cotton to Jesuit disciplinarians.

But the Sonics ownership may want a clean sweep "just because they can". Macho businessmen need to exercise power gratuitously.

Spurs have an assistant coach now. Where would PJ fit in?

Warlord23
04-20-2008, 11:49 AM
If PJ's absence is the reason why the offense has gone to hell in a handbasket this year, I say bring him in by all means

Ocotillo
04-20-2008, 11:59 AM
I posted before that in Oklahoma there is a rumor that Bill Self was not going to take the OSU job but wait for the Sonics to move to the state and take that stint once P.J. was out of the way.

dbreiden83080
04-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Shame if that happens to PJ. I was wondering this season given the team looking to move out of Seattle and their crappy season if he was going to be one and done in Seattle. That will be his last shot as a head coach.

T Park
04-20-2008, 12:18 PM
:lol

You guys forget how bad PJ was when Pop would get tossed out and he would take over, haven't you./

urunobili
04-20-2008, 12:25 PM
PJ always helped Pop with the offense... he would sure be back...

K-State Spur
04-20-2008, 12:29 PM

You guys forget how bad PJ was when Pop would get tossed out and he would take over, haven't you./

Pop + PJ > just Pop.

I like PJ, but I'm not sure he was the right move for a young group like Seattle, that had no real veteran presence that could be counted on to respond to him.

tp2021
04-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Pop + PJ > just Pop.

I like PJ, but I'm not sure he was the right move for a young group like Seattle, that had no real veteran presence that could be counted on to respond to him.

I agree entirely with both points.

TwAnKiEs
04-20-2008, 12:33 PM
f PJ were to be out of a job, would/could/should the Spurs organization make a move to get him back on the coaching staff?

Not just yes, but HELL yes

SouthernFried
04-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Who is doing the Offense coordination now? Bud?

I like Mike, played a lot of ball with him. But if PJ is becomes available...

curtismedellin
04-20-2008, 01:20 PM
The question really is would he want to come back.

There's no question all of San Antonio would want him back

SequSpur
04-20-2008, 03:25 PM

No. how bad was he?

T Park
04-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Pretty effing bad.

One game against the lowly Hornets comes to mind where his substitutions and play calling damn near lost em the game.

Kori Ellis
04-20-2008, 03:28 PM
The question really is would he want to come back.

There's no question all of San Antonio would want him back

Really? I never got that impression.

Anyway, when PJ was up for the job in Seattle, not everyone involved in the decision making wanted him there. So it comes as no shock that it isn't working out.

SequSpur
04-20-2008, 03:30 PM

Anyway, when PJ was up for the job in Seattle, not everyone involved in the decision making wanted him there. So it comes as no shock that it isn't working out.

What? Now they wouldn't want PJ back? Pop is fricking lost without him.

T Park
04-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Yeah Pop never won anything before PJ...

T Park
04-20-2008, 03:33 PM

Yeah I remember there being some dissension in the background around that.

Wouldn't shock me at all to see PJ back with the Spurs next year.

Kori Ellis
04-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah I remember there being some dissension in the background around that.

Wouldn't shock me at all to see PJ back with the Spurs next year.

Actually I'm saying that I'm not surprised that Seattle might cut him. But I'd actually be surprised if he ended up back in S.A.

DespЏrado
04-20-2008, 03:36 PM
What? Now they wouldn't want PJ back? Pop is fricking lost without him.

Pop sure as hell did a good job fooling me yesterday. He coached so well it was practically 6 on 5 yesterday.

timvp
04-20-2008, 03:36 PM
PJ coached this year like he'll be there for a long time. He didn't yell and scream -- he just let his players play. That is very un-PJ like.

I'd be surprised to see PJ get fired just because PJ wasn't coaching like his job was on the line.

T Park
04-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Actually I'm saying that I'm not surprised that Seattle might cut him. But I'd actually be surprised if he ended up back in S.A.

Yeah I know :lol

I wouldn't be, I could see Pop asking him if he wants to come back, maybe.

Im not suprised hes getting cut either, like I said, his hiring wasn't 100% popular IIRC, and the team was horrible all year.

Kori Ellis
04-20-2008, 03:38 PM
I could see Pop asking him if he wants to come back

I couldn't.

T Park
04-20-2008, 03:41 PM
Interesting, I always thought Pop and PJ were on real good terms, and would welcome him back.

Wouldn't hurt to have an extra voice in there. Much better than Brett Brown.

Kori Ellis
04-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Oh, I think Pop and PJ are on good terms. I just don't know if PJ was doing much of anything here (well, other than yelling).

T Park
04-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Oh, I think Pop and PJ are on good terms. I just don't know if PJ was doing much of anything here (well, other than yelling).

hahaha, you mean he wasn't the mastermind on offense everyone thought?

Ocotillo
04-20-2008, 07:12 PM
So after all these years of service and finally being moved up to number one assistant coach, Pop is going to shove Bud out of the way to make room for P.J. coming back?

or

P.J. is going to swallow his pride and take a lower in the pecking order job back here in S.A.?

I don't know anything about the personal side of Pop/P.J. but the business side says there isn't room for him here now.

m33p0
04-20-2008, 07:25 PM
i was under the impression that PJ was doing a fine job up in seattle.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-20-2008, 07:26 PM
There was enough collusion talk about Presti giving us Brent Barry back. This would only strengthen the Trade Committee Truthers beliefs.

Crookshanks
04-20-2008, 07:29 PM
I got the impression that no one really expected Seattle to be that good this year. Everyone knew they were in a rebuilding mode and that they were clearing cap room to add some key players around Kevin Durant. That young team showed a lot of heart at the end of the season and I think they'll just keep getting better as the players mature.

ShoogarBear
04-20-2008, 07:52 PM
But the Sonics ownership may want a clean sweep "just because they can". Macho businessmen need to exercise power gratuitously.

They already did that by hiring Presti and PJ.