PDA

View Full Version : Pollard ready to become center of attention for Pacers

ducks
07-30-2003, 12:00 PM
NDIANAPOLIS (AP) _ Scot Pollard has earned his notoriety two ways _ with his ever-changing appearance and his reputation as a physical defender.

What he has not done is solidify a spot in an NBA starting lineup, but that will soon change.

Pollard, acquired by Indiana last week from Sacramento as part of a three-team trade that sent All-Star Brad Miller to the Kings, will start at center for the Pacers _ the first time in his six-year career he will be more than just a role player.

``I'm looking forward to starting,'' Pollard said Tuesday.

He also wants to win over fans who were angry over the loss of Miller, an Indiana native who played at Purdue.

``The fans here are kind of going, 'This is ridiculous,' but they don't really know because they haven't seen me play a lot,'' Pollard said. ``I've been in a different conference. They see me play once a year, maybe twice if they watched the game in Sacramento.''

Pollard is known for a look that changes more often than a teen pop star's, sporting everything from a shaved head and a trucker's mustache to goatees and spiked hair.

His appearance was a little more conservative Tuesday, with only cropped, blond hair and trimmed sideburns that came down to his earlobes.

The Pacers don't care how Pollard looks. They just want him to remain a defensive presence in the middle and do the little things needed to win.

``He does the dirty work. You've got to have those guys,'' team president Larry Bird said.

In the West, the dirty work was being done against centers such as Shaquille O'Neal, Tim Duncan and Yao Ming.

In the East, it's Detroit's Ben Wallace and a bunch of lightly regarded journeymen.

That could mean more offensive opportunities for Pollard, who was not asked to shoot much with a Kings team that boasted a loaded lineup that included Chris Webber, Peja Stojakovic and Mike Bibby.

``In this situation, I think I'll be able to do a little bit more on offense, as well as demonstrate the things I already have, which is defense and rebounding,'' Pollard said.

Pollard, Detroit's first-round pick in 1997, has a 5.6 career average in both scoring and rebounding. He spent the last five seasons with Sacramento and developed into a versatile big man with strong rebounding skills.

After playing in 80 games in 2001-02, Pollard was slowed by injuries last year. Pollard suffered a stress fracture in his lower back, broke his right hand and played in a career-low 23 games last season. One of those games, however, was a 13-point, 16-rebound effort against the Pacers in April.

They were the first significant injuries for Pollard, who says he has fully recovered.

``I feel like a kid again after having basically a year off last season,'' he said. ``I feel stronger, I feel younger and I'm ready to start and make some contributions that way.''

There will be one other change for Pollard _ he may have to give up No. 31, which belongs to free-agent guard Reggie Miller.

``I think I'm going to go with No. 62 _ 31 times two,'' he said.

Bird remained optimistic that Miller, the team's career scoring leader, will be re-signed and hoped to have a deal soon.

``Reggie might feel like we're leaving him out, but we're not,'' Bird said. ``He needs to finish his career here. He is this franchise. He is what made this franchise.''

Pollard would like to be one of the teammates that helps Miller win that elusive NBA championship.

``I make teams win. I've always been on successful teams,'' Pollard said. ``This is something that could be a great opportunity for my career.'' scoop (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=18502756)

KoriEllis
07-31-2003, 05:09 AM
Bird remained optimistic that Miller, the team's career scoring leader, will be re-signed and hoped to have a deal soon.

How much money do they have left for Miller?

I want Reggie to finish his career there.

Patrick Davis
07-31-2003, 05:34 AM
they really need to resign reggie. reggie is the pacers franchise, maybe it could be o'neal someday, but right now, its all reggie. i'd hate to see him pull a ewing or hakeem.