PDA

View Full Version : Suns Regroup After Disheartening Game 1 Loss To Spurs

duncan228
04-20-2008, 08:34 PM
http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5gtlERJkZ6F2OLzCgwQ-ryBepXFpQ

Phoenix Suns regroup after disheartening Game 1 loss to Spurs

SAN ANTONIO — For the Phoenix Suns, Sunday was for mourning.

So said coach Mike D'Antoni the day after his team was on the losing end of a 117-115 double-overtime thriller against the San Antonio Spurs that saw the defending champions hit two clutch threes and later the game-winning layup with less than two seconds left.

"It's a long series and they've held home court one game and that's it," D'Antoni said. "They dodged a bullet. We didn't catch a bullet, they just dodged a bullet."

The Spurs took the day off Sunday after the marathon that was Game 1. Game 2 is Tuesday before the best-of-seven series shifts to Phoenix.

"Nothing's lost," D'Antoni said. "Today is a day of mourning, but come Monday we'll start getting our spirits up and we'll attack it on Tuesday."

On Tuesday, the Suns will try to pick up the road win they'll need to get out of the first round and past the Spurs. If Shaquille O'Neal, who the Suns hope is the missing piece of their playoff push, can stay on the court, that might make it tougher for San Antonio.

"I think foul trouble is what helped them out a lot," Phoenix forward Amare Stoudemire said. "With me, Shaq and Boris (Diaw) in foul trouble it takes away three of the top players on the team."

In Game 1, things fit together for the Spurs just well enough to pull out the win. San Antonio first hit two game-saving three-pointers. The first was from Michael Finley to send the game to overtime, the second was from Tim Duncan - who knocked down his first three of the season - to force a second extra period.

Then Manu Ginobili hit the game-winning layup for the Spurs with 1.8 seconds on the clock in the second overtime for the win.

"It's a great win, but at the same time you can't be satisfied," Spurs guard Tony Parker said after the win. "Phoenix, their job is to try and get one (in San Antonio.) And so they get a second chance on Tuesday."

Duncan had 40 points and 15 rebounds. When O'Neal was on the floor, he had some success against Duncan. Two of his four blocks were on Duncan shots.

For the Suns, things were looking much better early than they were late. Phoenix had a 16-point lead in the first half, and was up by six heading into the fourth quarter.

But the Suns were plagued by foul trouble throughout. O'Neal played limited minutes in the first half and by the end of the third quarter he, Stoudemire and reserve Diaw each had four fouls.

O'Neal also sat for about 3 1/2 minutes late in the fourth quarter after Spurs coach Gregg Popovich started intentionally fouling the 52 per cent career free-throw shooter.

"If you have to use mathematical strategies to beat me, it won't work," O'Neal said after the loss. "I'm not going to change my game. Hopefully, they'll let me play."

Stoudemire had 33 points before fouling out with 12 seconds left in the first overtime.

"That sixth foul is what hurt me a little bit," he said. "Because I definitely wanted to be out there, and I felt if I was out there we could have won the game."

In addition to the fatigue factor from playing a 58-minute game, both teams had injury problems on Saturday.

The Suns' Grant Hill is still recovering from a groin injury and played just 28 minutes - the least of any Suns starter - in Game 1. San Antonio's Parker got knocked in the head early in the game and said "the whole game my head was pounding, like a big headache."

Elraptor
04-20-2008, 08:37 PM
We all know the Spurs are still going to win game 2.

Kyle Smith
04-20-2008, 08:39 PM
When O'Neal was on the floor, he had some success against Duncan.

Success = letting Duncan score 40 points and get 15 boards in exchange for 2 blocks?

lol

Elraptor
04-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Success = letting Duncan score 40 points and get 15 boards in exchange for 2 blocks?

lol:lol

Yea Duncan basically owned O'Neal.

boutons_
04-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Spurs' PF 30 vs 27, so they can't call it home cookin, but I appreciate their need to blame something.

Isn't it great in the fog of waking up the next morning to have a mother fricking Spurs W coming into focus? :lol

Looking forward to Tue. Will be another tough game. Suns wanna bounce back, get the split, while Spurs want to preserve HCA and put ALL the pressure on Suns going to PHX.

Tacker
04-20-2008, 08:51 PM

lol

no........

Fail = Shaq letting Duncan score 40 points and get 15 boards in exchange for 2 blocks.

Didn't Steve kerr get shaq just to stop Duncan in the playoffs??

lefty
04-20-2008, 08:54 PM
:lol

Yea Duncan basically owned O'Neal.

And Amare

td4mvp21
04-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Stoudemire played plenty. No doubt that O'Neal out of foul trouble would have helped, but I do not understand why they committed such stupid fouls? Amare has absolutely no body control and O'Neal is the same way with his elbows and when he hacks because he can't block shit. Oh, and Thomas and Parker fouled out. It's not like they are important to the Spurs, Amare :rolleyes We'll see if he says anything when Duncan fouls out in Phoenix.

But really I thought the Suns got a lot of calls-like boutons said we had more PF's than they had and they shot more free throws. I don't think the officiating is to blame. It was pretty much the same story as it has been. The Spurs outperformed the Suns in the clutch. The Spurs really need to come out strong (you know, unlike how they came out in Game 1); I want them to go for the kill. The Suns looked absolutely destroyed when they were walking to the lockerroom, and if the Spurs jump on them early, it will only make their confidence fall even further.

Kyle Smith
04-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Fail = Shaq letting Duncan score 40 points and get 15 boards in exchange for 2 blocks.

That was my point.. lol

Budkin
04-20-2008, 08:58 PM
The Suns missed their chance to steal one. The Spurs will be a hell of a lot better in game 2. Sorry Suns, you're losing on Tuesday too.

Kyle Smith
04-20-2008, 09:01 PM
The Suns missed their chance to steal one. The Spurs will be a hell of a lot better in game 2. Sorry Suns, you're losing on Tuesday too.

I agree.

phyzik
04-20-2008, 09:02 PM
As much as I dislike D'Antoni, I cant argue with his quote....

That being said, if they think the Spurs cant get any better then that, they are in for a world of hurt on Tuesday.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-20-2008, 09:07 PM
"If you have to use mathematical strategies to beat me, it won't work," O'Neal said after the loss.

Hey fat ass, it just did. You lost.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Hey fat ass, it just did. You lost.

:lol

gilmor
04-20-2008, 09:21 PM
We all know the Spurs are still going to win game 2.

That's prob not going to happen..

This gonna be a long series..

Rummpd
04-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Suns got the worst of the Spurs in the first half and early second. They needed this game and they knew it. It will be a tough series but they may as well start getting the fishing reservations in hand.

Borosai
04-20-2008, 09:30 PM
SnaqAttaq talks so goddam much, it's tiring. I saw the look on his face when he was shooting free throws, and he knows he sucks. He might get hot from time to time, but it's a good strategy anyway.

"If you have to use mathematical strategies to beat me, it won't work," O'Neal said after the loss. "I'm not going to change my game. Hopefully, they'll let me play."

Make your free throws, and you will play.

SouthernFried
04-20-2008, 09:32 PM
"they had foul trouble...Amare fouled out...lotta fouls...if it weren't for the fouls..."

blah blah blah blah

Bulwark
04-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Hey fat ass, it just did. You lost.:toast Exactly. I've read that quote in so many sports columns and not one author calls him out and says "hey, it did work!"

Bulwark
04-20-2008, 09:35 PM
"they had foul trouble...Amare fouled out...lotta fouls...if it weren't for the fouls..."

blah blah blah blah
:lol That summary was on point.

easjer
04-20-2008, 09:38 PM
"Hopefully, they'll let me play."

I must assume that he's referring to his own coach, since the Spurs are not responsible for removing him for over three minutes in the fourth quarter. D'Antoni, and Shaq's piss poor free throw abilities, were responsible for that.

Did anyone else notice all the weird quotes in relation to Shaq? Both Amare and Raja Bell said something to the effect of 'We didn't let him get in a rhythm because of foul trouble.' I was so puzzled by those statements. Shaq got himself in foul trouble; was it the team's responsibility to keep him out of it? It just stood out to me as confusing.

td4mvp21
04-20-2008, 09:42 PM
1 game and the excuses are already rolling. 1 game and the Spurs are already in the Suns' heads.

And what a surprise, no Suns player mentions that Kurt Thomas and Parker fouled out. I'm so sick of the Suns, I hope the Spurs send them packing again this postseason. They are the whiniest group of players with the biggest sense of entitlement in the NBA. I don't care that the Spurs whine during the game, the Suns whine before, during, and after the game. These bunch of babies are an embarrassment to the NBA.

boutons_
04-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Although we've bad Spurs halves way too many times this season, it's the playoffs. Suns really had a great chance to steal HCA. They're gonna find it a lot harder Tue.

I don't know WTF was wrong with Spurs ('cept Tim) in the first half, but we better not see any more playoff halves like that.