PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Home Of The Floppers?

duncan228
04-20-2008, 08:37 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/04/jeff_mcdonald_h_3.html

Jeff McDonald: Home of the Floppers?

Shaquille O'Neal was at it again Saturday afternoon. He's got no qualms with riling fans in his old hometown. In fact, he seems to relish it.

By now, you've heard what he had to say about the Spurs after they got the Phoenix trio of O'Neal, Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw in foul trouble in Game 1 of the Western Conference playoffs:

"The floppers prevailed today," O'Neal said, adding a suggestion for the future. "Hopefully those guys will compete rather than just fall down."

Here's an odd twist to this story from Sunday afternoon.

Apparently, one of O'Neal's fellow foul-plagued Phoenix big men isn't willing to back up the "flopper" charge levied against the Spurs. Stoudemire -- who certainly has no love lost for the Spurs -- said before Sunday's practice that he didn't think the Spurs were to blame for the Suns' foul troubles.

"I think every team flops a little bit," he said. "It's part of the game. When you go back and look at it, it looks like the officials made the right calls."

A Suns player sticking up for an officiating crew? We'll let Spurs fans enter their own "hell freezing over" jokes here.

SAtown
04-20-2008, 08:42 PM
http://i29.tinypic.com/hrc1gm.jpg

peacemaker885
04-20-2008, 08:42 PM
F Shaq. Of all the Sun's players right now, he has the least right to talk about the Spurs like that. Only Steve and Amare have this right. F Shaq

Fernando TD21
04-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Wow a classy comment coming from Amare.:wow

peskypesky
04-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Amare said that? I can't believe it. Maybe there's hope for him after all.

Mister Sinister
04-20-2008, 09:24 PM
OH SHIT! Amare's a SKRULL!

td4mvp21
04-20-2008, 09:26 PM
The funny part? The Suns probably flopped (and attempted to flop) more than the Spurs yesterday.

Also, I love how every fucking drive in the fourth and overtimes, our players got hacked by Shaq and no whistle was blown.

SouthernFried
04-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Shaq flopped, but was called for a Defensive foul cuz he was in the paint when he did it.

They just suck at this like everything else.

I'm just sayin'...

easjer
04-20-2008, 09:41 PM
The funny thing is that the Spurs gave up 16 points to Phoenix when Shaq was out and the Spurs has their comeback with him on the court and active. He tied for lowest +/- on the Suns.

So he can blame the floppers all he wants, but the Spurs never took advantage of Shaq's absence. Coming back with Shaq on the floor was probably the best thing that could have happened.

SAtown
04-20-2008, 09:49 PM
For anyone that has the game taped/DVRd, watch the play right after Shaq goaltends Finley's 3 (9 minutes left in 4th). Barbosa bounce-passes to Shaq, and the 325 lb'er falls as if someone had shot him in the knee, giving KT one of many ticky tack fouls in the game. Refs sucked all around, they obviously wanted to be a part of the game, and I'm glad at least Amare realizes that. I'm surprised Shaq didn't get injured falling like that

Budkin
04-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Shaq does not foul out, remember?

TampaDude
04-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Shaq does not foul out, remember?

Yup...NBA rule #32.5...Shaquille O'Neal cannot be called for more than 5 personal fouls in a single game, irrespective of game length or overtime play.

CubanSucks
04-20-2008, 10:28 PM
That cross eyed, fatass bitch has just passed Cuban on my weekly power rankings of most hated people in the league.

K-State Spur
04-20-2008, 10:31 PM
shaq must not be aware that raja bell plays on his team or that Steve Nash is the only defender (and i use that term loosely) in the league who can consistently get a charge call when he is at a 45 degree angle to the ballhandler.

midgetonadonkey
04-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Amare loves his fried chicken.

I can prove it.

Supreme_Being
04-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Wow. Amare isn't that much of a retardo after all.

Alright. Maybe just a little bit.

SAtown
04-20-2008, 11:05 PM
Amare loves his fried chicken.

I can prove it.

Banned.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Shaq's just pissed because HE gave the game away! He was the one who was outplayed by Timmy when it mattered. Go suck an egg, Snaqboy.

And class from Amare... hell certainly hath frozen over!

Holt's Cat
04-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Shaq may look slim but he's a fucking big ol clutz these days.

He probably yelled "Don't you know who I am?" at Bennett a couple times yesterday.

Shaolin-Style
04-20-2008, 11:32 PM
If Amare played under Popovich he'd have the potential to surpass Tim. Too bad he plays for an idiot and with an idiot and with a great pg who doesn't play defense. Won't learn much that way.

BonnerDynasty
04-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Refs will make Tim get in Foul Trouble in game 2. Book it. 2 fouls in the first.

DAF86
04-21-2008, 03:06 AM
A question for the people that live in the United States: Since when the word "flop" is so used in the NBA? Was it used so often when Jordan and the bulls were winning championships? 'cause I remember that Pippen was really good at drawing offensive fouls but I never heard the word flop back then. Actually the first time i heard the word "flop" was in 2005

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-21-2008, 06:03 AM
If Amare played under Popovich he'd have the potential to surpass Tim. Too bad he plays for an idiot and with an idiot and with a great pg who doesn't play defense. Won't learn much that way.

Um, no. Please don't make that comparison again.

Amare may have great physical gifts and a sweet jumper, but he has nowhere near the basketball IQ, back to the basket game, defensive understanding, or passing acumen of Tim, and nor will he ever have. Tim had those things before he came to the NBA.

Amare will continue to be a great offensive player, but he will never control a game like Tim can, and even Pop couldn't change that.

TDMVPDPOY
04-21-2008, 06:44 AM
WHAT are you guys opinion on Mcdonald this season?

-VE :(

jmard5
04-21-2008, 06:47 AM

He's getting better; but he needs to get rid of some of his corny titles.

ancestron
04-21-2008, 08:36 AM
How about Mark Jackson's commentating. Every other play he was saying "Flop this" or "flop that" or "thats a flop, or "he did a good job seeling the flop." I am so tired of the flop talk. Selling fouls has been part of the game for a very long time, its nothing new, and everyone does it, it has just as much of a chance to work for you as it does against you, but people act like the Spurs have conjoured some sort of black magic voodoo spell with their "dirty flop tactics", its bullshit.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Amare said that? I can't believe it. Maybe there's hope for him after all.

He's applying for a power forward position at the Spurs front office. He thinks he might be able to get a ring like that.

vander
04-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Um, no. Please don't make that comparison again.

Amare may have great physical gifts and a sweet jumper, but he has nowhere near the basketball IQ, back to the basket game, defensive understanding, or passing acumen of Tim, and nor will he ever have. Tim had those things before he came to the NBA.

Amare will continue to be a great offensive player, but he will never control a game like Tim can, and even Pop couldn't change that.

I disagree, good coaching can raise a player's BBall IQ

Cry Havoc
04-21-2008, 10:12 AM
I'm pretty stunned that many people haven't realized what a (expletive) Shaq is until now. I thought it was obvious his entire career that he was a completely pathetic excuse for an NBA player.

mexicanjunior
04-21-2008, 10:17 AM
How about Mark Jackson's commentating. Every other play he was saying "Flop this" or "flop that" or "thats a flop, or "he did a good job seeling the flop." I am so tired of the flop talk. Selling fouls has been part of the game for a very long time, its nothing new, and everyone does it, it has just as much of a chance to work for you as it does against you, but people act like the Spurs have conjoured some sort of black magic voodoo spell with their "dirty flop tactics", its bullshit.

I couldn't stand Mark Jackson in that game, every call was anti-Suns. The only decent thing about that broadcast team was Van Gundy actually calling it like it was to at least show some unbias...

Whisky Dog
04-21-2008, 11:14 AM
When Michael Cooper or John Stockton or Scottie Pippen used to sell fouls to get the call it was a wiley veteran defensive move.

When a bunch of foreigners do it on the Spurs it become disgraceful flopping.

Fuck you media.

On another note it's great to see the Spurs are already balls deep into Shaq mentally.

urunobili
04-21-2008, 01:26 PM

+1

K-State Spur
04-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Put it this way - if you were such a fatass that you couldn't move on offense or defense and you're only effectiveness came from playing THROUGH people - wouldn't you try to get the refs on your side by calling the other team floppers?

SpurOutofTownFan
04-21-2008, 03:48 PM

I commented about this in the game thead, him and Green where calling flops all the time. And funny was numerous times Jeff would correct them after the replay and they would go "ohhhhh it was a foul... ahhhhh ehhhhh uuuhggghh"

They were really suns' homerish that date - hope i don't have to listen to the flopping talk again but it's too much to ask

After all, about the time mark jackson was in the league is when the NBA turned to be a game of whinny pussies. 10 years before no one would have even dared to talk about flopping so much.

DazedAndConfused
04-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Shaq is actually being very smart here. You guys are right, he's older and slower and can't use his power game as effectively anymore. If the refs call it fairly he can't be effective, so he's calling them out now to try and get some leeway for Game 2.

When Shaq is not hampered by foul trouble he can play acceptable defense against Duncan. There is no denying that. For PHX that might be all they need IF they can keep Parker and Ginobli at bay.

nashzilla
04-21-2008, 04:05 PM

if it look like a fish out of water, and smells like fish out of water, its probably a fish, flopping around, out of the water.....

ambchang
04-21-2008, 04:47 PM
I think it was Shaq's 4th foul, when he bulldozed into Kurt Thomas with an elbow to the chin and almost snapped him in half right in front of the ref. Jackson immediately called it a foul, and when replayed showed it being an obvious offensive foul, Van Gundy made fun of Jackson and exposed him. It was absolutely hilarious.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2008, 05:04 PM
The only foul I recall that Shaq has any right to complain about was the first one where he got an offensive board and went up strong to the hoop and knocked Oberto down. Shaq lowered his shoulder and Oberto fell at exactly the right time from what was actually minimal contact. In real time it looked like Shaq was out of control and ploughed into Oberto. It's really hard to suggest that isn't a smart basketball play no matter what you do. Oberto can't play Shaq straight up, so he has to be creative. He gets burned for those about as often as he gets the call. That one was perfectly timed.

And Shaq already had that one under his belt when he decided to try to draw a charge standing under the basket a minute or so later. That was just stupid and isn't anyone's fault but his own.

ClingingMars
04-21-2008, 05:07 PM
http://i29.tinypic.com/hrc1gm.jpg

WalterBenitez
04-21-2008, 07:17 PM

He is improving, his english is better than mine:wakeup

ImpartialObserver
04-21-2008, 07:57 PM
A question for the people that live in the United States: Since when the word "flop" is so used in the NBA? Was it used so often when Jordan and the bulls were winning championships? 'cause I remember that Pippen was really good at drawing offensive fouls but I never heard the word flop back then. Actually the first time i heard the word "flop" was in 2005

I believe Vlade Divac's theatrics helped introduce the term flop sometime around the turn of the millenium.

milkyway21
04-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Shaq wants to be immortal. He will be a HOF someday. He is a winner. But he's also a sore loser. He said that to Theo Ratliff once, when he was a newcomer in Miami. Nothing new. :blah :blah :blah

ShaQ doesn't want to lose to Tim Duncan. And Tim Duncan is tired of losing to ShaQ too(remember, Duncan's "I'm tired of that freakin' question" about the Lakers? :D) They hate losing to each other.

This is still a battle of the NBA's top dogs. Let's see if Shaq can counter TD's monster performance of game 1 in the next few games or two. I expect a better ShaQ in game 2.

curtismedellin
04-21-2008, 09:55 PM
OH SHIT! Amare's a SKRULL!

:lmao