PDA

View Full Version : In NBA, Boring Might Strike Again

duncan228
04-20-2008, 11:22 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/20/AR2008042001894.html

In NBA, Boring Might Strike Again

Last week we asked which team would win the Stanley Cup. This week, we wanted to ask a completely different kind of question, and we found one, a query as different from last week's as a basketball is from a hockey puck. Our question this week is -- drumroll, please -- which team is most likely to win the NBA title?

1. San Antonio Spurs

What's not to like about the Spurs? Oh, right, they're boring. Good lord, they're boring. Stop boring us! But they do have the requisite experience, with four championships in nine years. They have the requisite trio of elite talent, with Tim Duncan, Manu Ginóbili and Tony Parker. And they have the requisite celebrity fan in lovely Eva Longoria Parker, who somehow still can't keep her squad from being boring. Even though San Antonio was just another team, record-wise, in the ridiculously tightly packed Western Conference, you have to like its chances of drawing on all its experience and turning things up a notch in the playoffs. The team already gave signs of being able to do so in the regular season: after a 1-6 slump in mid-March, the Spurs geared up for the postseason by finishing 12-3 and cementing home-court advantage in the first round. In other news, Ginóbili not only maintained his status as the league's best sixth man, he proved that he can grow things other than his bald spot, notching career highs in three-point percentage, assists and points, leading the Spurs in the latter category. So what's not to like? Well, there is that one thing that's just too boring to mention yet again. Then there's the fact that San Antonio has a Michelle Kwan-like record of success in Olympic years. Also discouraging is the flip side of tremendous experience -- tremendous age. Only four Spurs are under 30, and just one of those whippersnappers, Parker, 25, is a major contributor. And with age comes injuries. Ginóbili is coming off a strained groin (ouch), Brent Barry recently played for the first time in 80 days and serial championship-winner Robert Horry has fallen and may not be able to get up. In fact, this whole lousy squad . . . wait a sec, aren't we here to praise the Spurs, rather than bury them? Let's end on this note: Can't spell "boring without "ring." Or "B.O." Because the Spurs can certainly win it all, but no one's saying they won't have a sweat a little.

2. Boston Celtics

Sure, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen haven't experienced a tremendous amount of playoff success. So? Neither have you. But maybe if you had had two of those NBA megastars as teammates, things would have been different. Okay, maybe not. But things might really be different for the Celtics' Big Three, who joined forces this season and have played as if they don't intend to waste the opportunity, sprinting to 66 wins (45 by 10 points or more) and a 25-5 record against the West. Just like you would have done.

3. Los Angeles Lakers

They got MVP-quality play from Kobe Bryant, finished atop the West and, along the way, snared all-star forward Pau Gasol from the Grizzlies for little more than a pair of "Hannah Montana" tickets. And if they get anything from center Andrew Bynum, who has been out since Game 35, we could well see Lamar Odom smooching Larry O'Brien (or his eponymous trophy, at least).

4. Detroit Pistons

Yes, the Eastern Conference was vastly inferior this year, but its top two teams have nothing for which to apologize, as Boston and Detroit finished with the two best records in the league. However, the Pistons may want to make amends for having gone to five straight conference finals with only one NBA title to show for it. Or they could just help any disgruntled fans keep things in perspective by telling the ingrates to repeat after them: "Buffalo Bills."

5. Phoenix Suns

When the Suns and Spurs met in last year's conference semifinals, many said the series was effectively for the NBA championship, and, indeed, San Antonio went on to win it all. This year, the teams are meeting in the first round, but plenty of folks are saying the same thing. Great! Instead of sitting through two-plus months of playoff games, we'll just watch this series and then get back to what's really important: Obsessing over our fantasy football drafts.

mavsfan1000
04-20-2008, 11:23 PM
I expect the Celtics to win it all but I think the Spurs can get to the Finals. Lakers will be tough but I think Duncan can manhandle Gasol or Odom.

Holt's Cat
04-20-2008, 11:26 PM
Spurs are old so they may not win.

Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen are full of youthful vigor

ROFL.

Findog
04-20-2008, 11:26 PM
I hate the Spurs and the "Spurs are boring" meme pisses even me off.

Mr. Body
04-20-2008, 11:28 PM
What trash. America's newspapers (and ABC) are falling apart.

braeden0613
anyone that watched the game on saturday and still says the Spurs are boring deserves to be shot. Seriously sign me up. :bang

Findog
ROFL.

Underestimate the Celtics at your peril. Popovich won't, if your team is lucky to advance that far.

Do you have anything at all to bring in a comeback, other than the Mavs suck? I'm fully aware we're going out in the first round.

Holt's Cat
04-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Actually, is not the Spurs' Big 3 younger than a few of the other playoff teams' top 3 players?

Shaolin-Style
04-20-2008, 11:30 PM
I love how you can go from having one of the greatest opening playoff games ever and still be called boring.

How brainwashed are the media and fans in general? Hilarious.

Findog
It's going to be tough for the Phoenix/San Antonio winner. If yesterday is any indication, they're going to beat the holy hell out of each other for seven games.

Holt's Cat
Underestimate the Celtics at your peril. Popovich won't, if your team is lucky to advance that far.

Do you have anything at all to bring in a comeback, other than the Mavs suck? I'm fully aware we're going out in the first round.

eh, shut the fuck up I was just making fun of how the media likes to knock the Spurs for being old.

And yes, the Mavs suck and probably won't go out in the first round.

dbreiden83080
You know what is funny when people call the Spurs boring and you ask them why, they really don't have an answer. Who is exciting as all hell to watch compared to the Spurs?? I just watched the Celtics game, not one damn thing on that team that got me out of my seat. Not one player on that team that gets me excitted either. Spurs have the following

1-A dominant low post big MAN who can do it all
2-A fast breaking PG who can make amazing shots in the lane and has a jumpshot.
3-A player in Manu who can both drive the lane and hit outside shoots, who plays with reckless abandon, BUT

They are boring, uh yeah ok why is that and who is so much more fun to watch compared to them????

Spurminator
04-20-2008, 11:31 PM
This take bores me. It's the easy go-to Spurs talking point for people who don't watch them but still have to get a column in by deadline or 30 seconds of analysis on a cable sports highlight show.

BonnerDynasty
04-20-2008, 11:31 PM
The boring argument is boring.

sabar
04-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Yep, that double overtime game with constant lead changes and miracle tying shots was pretty boring stuff. That Boston/Atlanta game, now that was the epitome of exciting basketball.

Findog
04-20-2008, 11:32 PM
eh, shut the fuck up I was just making fun of how the media likes to knock the Spurs for being old.

And yes, the Mavs suck and probably won't go out in the first round.

And a cheapshot at the Celtics. Not a mistake I would make.

mavsfan1000
04-20-2008, 11:33 PM
You know what is funny when people call the Spurs boring and you ask them why, they really don't have an answer. Who is exciting as all hell to watch compared to the Spurs?? I just watched the Celtics game, not one damn thing on that team that got me out of my seat. Not one player on that team that gets me excitted either. Spurs have the following

3-A player in Manu who can both drive the lane and hit outside shoots, who plays with reckless abandon, BUT

They are boring, uh yeah ok why is that and who is so much more fun to watch compared to them????
Teams with low post players are boring. Those are what most fans think of when they call the spurs boring. Low post/inside-out bore fest. Of course there is much more to the Spurs than that but that is the first complaint. Especially the Spurs of 1999.

Holt's Cat
04-20-2008, 11:37 PM
And a cheapshot at the Celtics. Not a mistake I would make.

Why not?

BonnerDynasty
04-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Because they are the greatest team ever assembled on the face of this planet.

dbreiden83080
04-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Teams with low post players are boring. Those are what most fans think of when they call the spurs boring. Low post/inside-out bore fest. Of course there is much more to the Spurs than that but that is the first complaint. Especially the Spurs of 1999.

Well than that is the problem because that is not who they are anymore. You want a team that has guys that play with flash, you got Manu and Tony doing that for you. Plus there is no way anybody watching that game on Sat thought Duncan was anything short of fucking brilliant. Anyone who called what he did out there boring should have there TV's broke and banned from ever watching the NBA again.

Findog
04-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Why not?

Because they're for real. Don't take my word for it, just watch them advance to the Finals.

SAtown
04-20-2008, 11:44 PM
If yesterday is any indication, they're going to beat the holy hell out of each other for seven games.

But the same exact mindset should be applied to the Mavs/Hornets series. From an outsider perspective, I believe both NO and DAL will be beating each other to death as well. It's pretty stupid to bring things up, and this is NOT to try to talk shit... but what if Dallas doesn't advance out of the 1st round for the second year in a row? Do you not think the Mavs organization are taking this very personally? They haven't been ahead in a playoffs series since they were up 2-1 on the Heat, and that's taking into effect what remarkable shit they did i during the 06-07 season.

New Orleans is a very good team, but they haven't been tested like some WC teams, including Dallas. That's why I think they will advance, and hopefully go I35 south for a couple of days.

Leetonidas
04-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Teams with low post players are boring.

:lmao

The 2000-2002 Lakers were boring?

Findog
04-20-2008, 11:53 PM
But the same exact mindset should be applied to the Mavs/Hornets series. From an outsider perspective, I believe both NO and DAL will be beating each other to death as well. It's pretty stupid to bring things up, and this is NOT to try to talk shit... but what if Dallas doesn't advance out of the 1st round for the second year in a row? Do you not think the Mavs organization are taking this very personally? They haven't been ahead in a playoffs series since they were up 2-1 on the Heat, and that's taking into effect what remarkable shit they did i during the 06-07 season.

New Orleans is a very good team, but they haven't been tested like some WC teams, including Dallas. That's why I think they will advance, and hopefully go I35 south for a couple of days.

Coming into the series, my gut told me Hornets in 7. But after last night, I have to amend that to Hornets in 5. So my gut is that the Hornets will get some time to rest, and whether it's San Antonio or Phoenix, they have the talent and personnel to advance. San Antonio would be tougher for them.

Dallas has the talent to beat any team in the league in a seven-game series, but...something is just wrong with this team. A large part of it is Avery Johnson, but some of it is on the players as well. The whole season has been marked by an inability to play up to their potential on a consistent basis. I'm also of the opinion that the chemistry in the locker room isn't great.

Chris Paul is going to do whatever he wants in this series, and that is ultimately going to be the difference. Thing is, the Hornets shoot a lot of jumpshots and don't get to the FT line as much as Dallas. If we had a real coach, we'd beat the Hornets.

easjer
04-20-2008, 11:54 PM
It was a shot at the Celtics to point out the absurdity of the argument that the Spurs big three is old, but the Celtics big three is youthful, when the age averages out in favor of the Spurs?

Really?

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-20-2008, 11:55 PM
The SA - Phoenix series has been dubbed the best first round matchup and one of the best playoff matchups in the past several years, and this clown still trots out the boring crap.

What a fucking dumbass. He sounds like a Mavs fan.

Holt's Cat
04-20-2008, 11:55 PM
Because they're for real. Don't take my word for it, just watch them advance to the Finals.

So?

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-20-2008, 11:56 PM
A large part of it is Avery Johnson, but some of it is on the players as well.

AJ isn't the problem. Despite trading away the farm for Kidd, Dallas still doesn't have a leader on its team. Kidd's the closest they have, but he's got Chris Paul running circles around his geriatric ass right now so any attempts to motivate the troops by JKidd will ring hollow.

ludda
04-21-2008, 12:00 AM
blah blah blah "spurs boring" blah blah blah.

Findog
04-21-2008, 12:01 AM
So?

So you're a moron. That needed to be pointed out.

Holt's Cat
04-21-2008, 12:03 AM
Read or scroll, dumbass.

Findog
04-21-2008, 12:03 AM
AJ isn't the problem.

Stop right there. No seriously, stop right there. You literally know NOTHING about the Mavs. He's a huge part of the problem. Not the whole problem, but this team would be much better with a real coach.

Despite trading away the farm for Kidd, Dallas still doesn't have a leader on its team.

Devin Harris and DeSagana Diop aren't even 4 acres, much less a farm.

Kidd's the closest they have, but he's got Chris Paul running circles around his geriatric ass right now so any attempts to motivate the troops by JKidd will ring hollow

Chris Paul clowns everybody except for Deron, so that includes Devin Harris and Tony Parker. You're a Spurs fan, right? You haven't watched him curbstomp Tony yet?

Findog
04-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Read or scroll, dumbass.

It's more fun to be the burr in your ass, you overly-sensitive twat.

Findog
04-21-2008, 12:06 AM

Hey Queef Breath, has it ever been pointed out to you that everything you accuse Mav troll of being, you're guilty of in spades?

Holt's Cat
04-21-2008, 12:11 AM
It's more fun to be the burr in your ass, you overly-sensitive twat.

Not surprising you would be thinking about my ass.

The only one I see getting worked up about words on a screen 'tis you.

Findog
04-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Not surprising you would be thinking about my ass.

The only one I see getting worked up about words on a screen 'tis you.

You nailed it. I'm breathing through my mouth and my blood pressure is rising.

Tschuss.

Solid D
04-21-2008, 12:36 AM
http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/pali_missile_fauxtography1.jpg

Hey Desmond, look! Another boring missile...rofl

Amuseddaysleeper
04-21-2008, 12:39 AM
:lol

BlackSwordsMan
04-21-2008, 12:45 AM
wow what a cock sucker

BiZNicK
04-21-2008, 12:46 AM
Apparently greatness = boring these days....

Princess Pimp
04-21-2008, 12:48 AM
Truth hurts doesn't it?

BiZNicK
04-21-2008, 12:49 AM
Truth hurts doesn't it?

Oh that you dont have one of these :lobt:?

ouch.

BlackSwordsMan
04-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Truth hurts doesn't it?

When are we getting married?

Dave McNulla
04-21-2008, 01:10 AM
the only thing that hurts is knowing there are soooo many stupid people out there. if those stupid people are running the biggest news source in the nation's capital, well, that just hurts everybody (and explains why this country in not doing so well against the world economically).

who won the most exiting game of the playoffs so far? oh yeah, the boring team. it's just stupid.

freemeat
04-21-2008, 01:56 AM
Dear Fellow Spurs Fans,

Take moments (and passé articles like these) in stride. You know that anyone who would say or write anything like "the Spurs are boring" -- with a straight face -- is probably a casual NBA fan at best.

Most people who read this stuff are the same that watch ESPN. You know what the ESPN top ten looks like -- soccer goals, home runs, big-time dunks, etc. To casual fans, of any sport, that's always the most interesting stuff.

Just remember that you're getting more pleasure out of watching games like the one we had on Saturday -- because you're a real fan -- than just about everyone else around. Including this dipshit writer.

jag
04-21-2008, 02:07 AM
I dont see why spurs fans get so upset when people call us boring...

who cares?

I think the Sonics are boring...but if Sonics fan enjoys watching them and rooting them on, why should he care if i think they're boring?

spursfan09
04-21-2008, 03:02 AM
I hate the Spurs and the "Spurs are boring" meme pisses even me off.

Yeah no kidding. Is that the only knock they have on the Spurs? Is that they are boring? Come on! Anybody who likes basketball, knows that the Spurs do have something to offer. Did they not see yesterdays game? :bang

spursfan09
04-21-2008, 03:04 AM

Oh well they don't get any DUI's or ever get in the news for doing something illegal. Thats why they are such a bore.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-21-2008, 06:14 AM
My comment to the author:

"What a joke of an article! Wow, call the Spurs boring, how original! And you watched how many Spurs games since 2003?

They have consistently played basketball the right way, using fundamental principles of the game to win consistently and often spectacularly. How exactly is that boring again? Oh, that's right, it's not, except to those who have no interest in great basketball.

Populist writing like this, which appeals to the lowest common denominator without making any kind of logical case, is the epitome of BORING."

Clemenza
04-21-2008, 06:22 AM
I don't get the Spurs are boring thing, are these writers actually watching the games?

:fro:hat:smokin

PlayoffEx-static
04-21-2008, 06:40 AM
Actually, is not the Spurs' Big 3 younger than a few of the other playoff teams' top 3 players?

Like the Celtics? All three of them are on the "wrong" side of 30, aren't they?

DarrinS
04-21-2008, 08:14 AM
Yeah, the Spurs are boring. That's why they played the most "boring" 1st game of round one.

:rolleyes

ancestron
04-21-2008, 08:23 AM
Truth hurts doesn't it?

San Antonio 117
Phoenix 115
F/OT2

you should know.

TampaDude
04-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Yup...the Spurs are boring...

boring double-overtime win

boring 4 championships (soon to be 5)

boring Riverwalk parade

boring Spurs

:sleep

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-21-2008, 09:06 AM
what a fucking bitch, I can't remember reading an article that was more pathetic and biased

He's porb never seen a Spurs game in his life, and its popular to say the Spurs are boring so he just piles it on, not wanting to break from the norm

WildcardManu
04-21-2008, 09:19 AM
What a boring article. Wish i could get my time back from reading halfway through the first analysis.

sandman
04-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Like the Celtics? All three of them are on the "wrong" side of 30, aren't they?

Ray Allen- 1975
KG- 1976
Paul Pierce- 1977

Timmy- 1976
Manu- 1977
TP- 1982

And all three of the C's have been heavy contributors on bad/mediocre teams where they were the only stud at times. Lots of miles, but that gets tempered with the ridiculously easy playoff schedule coming out of the East.

Elraptor
04-21-2008, 10:32 AM
I won't be surprised if it's Spurs and Celtics going all the way to the finals.

dbreiden83080
04-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Oh well they don't get any DUI's or ever get in the news for doing something illegal. Thats why they are such a bore.

SO i guess we need to get Tim Duncan a few rape charges and the media will be all over him,, heh Kobe. :hat

Lebowski Brickowski
04-21-2008, 11:32 AM
"Anyone who says the Spurs are boring, they might need a therapist."

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 11:38 AM
The SA - Phoenix series has been dubbed the best first round matchup and one of the best playoff matchups in the past several years, and this clown still trots out the boring crap.

Thats because they were playing the Suns....take away the Suns, and you get the Spurs/Cavs finals. Which was A-W-F-U-L!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Or Spurs/Nets.
Or Spurs/Pistons.

Take your pick.

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 11:40 AM
I see we have every "People say the spurs are boring only because" cliche in this thread.

People say the Spurs are boring because the Spurs ARE boring.

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 11:40 AM
SO i guess we need to get Tim Duncan a few rape charges and the media will be all over him,, heh Kobe. :hat

Because Kobe was considered boring UNTIL he had rape charges.

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 11:42 AM
How could anyone call THIS boring???

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=270612005

CubanMustGo
04-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Hey, look, Dopey's back.

ancestron
04-21-2008, 11:45 AM
San Antonio 117
Phoenix 115
F/OT2

....boring?

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Hey, look, Dopey's back.

This site was boring without me.

:bking

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 11:46 AM
San Antonio 117
Phoenix 115
F/OT2

....boring?

No one ever said the Suns were boring.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-21-2008, 11:47 AM
How could anyone call THIS boring???

Perhaps this year if it's looking like another ratings Kryptonite finals Stern will give the people what they really want and send the cameras along with Nash and Amare for their annual Memorial Day fishing trip. That'll pull in the ratings.

Solid D
04-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Saying "Spurs are boring" is a self-indictment of their knowledge of the game that is basketball.

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Saying "Spurs are boring" is a self-indictment of their knowledge of the game that is basketball.

Ah yes...the proverbial "If you think the Spurs are boring than you don't know basketball".

Funny that the only people who "know" basketball all happen to live in the greater San Antonio area!

But stick with that. Everyone else is wrong and you are right.

dbreiden83080
04-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Because Kobe was considered boring UNTIL he had rape charges.

No but it confirmed in my mind and the minds of many others how much of a fucking dickhead he is.

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 11:53 AM
This year, ESPN recorded two of its five best regular-season audiences of all time. The Suns-Lakers game Feb. 20 with 3.6 million viewers and Suns-Celtics tilt Feb. 22 with 2.8 million ranked third and fifth of all 404 NBA regular-season games ESPN has televised since 2002, according to network officials.

I was at Suns/Lakers. Best game Ive ever been to.

mexicanjunior
04-21-2008, 11:53 AM
If I were a Suns fan, I'd be bored with my lack of championship defense over the past 5 years...

I don't understand what the media wants the Spurs to do to be considered more exciting, it's not like they haven't been scoring points over the championship years and they have produced some very memorable playoff series (Spurs-Mavs 06, Spurs-Suns 07, Spurs-Pistons 05). If this team was in LA, media would be proclaiming this one of the greatest teams ever and no mention of "boring" would ever touch print. It makes me wonder sometimes if the NBA just wants all non NY, LA, Boston, Philly teams to feed them wins in order to have the top media markets in the Finals...

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 11:54 AM
No but it confirmed in my mind and the minds of many others how much of a fucking dickhead he is.

Kobe's a dickhead, but that doesn't mean that Duncan isn't boring.

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 11:54 AM
If I were a Suns fan, I'd be bored with my lack of championship defense over the past 5 years...

I don't understand what the media wants the Spurs to do to be considered more exciting, it's not like they haven't been scoring points over the championship years and they have produced some very memorable playoff series (Spurs-Mavs 06, Spurs-Suns 07, Spurs-Pistons 05). If this team was in LA, media would be proclaiming this one of the greatest teams ever and no mention of "boring" would ever touch print. It makes me wonder sometimes if the NBA just wants all non NY, LA, Boston, Philly teams to feed them wins in order to have the top media markets in the Finals...

dbreiden83080
04-21-2008, 11:55 AM

It is also an excuse people use because the product that is the NBA is not selling like it once did. The league is in a position where if they don't get mega market teams like the Lakers and Celts in the finals, ratings will be mediocre to bad. Easy to say the "Spurs are boring people don't like them" truth is people are not loving the NBA in gen these days based on the ratings as a whole, although they were a bit up this year.

dbreiden83080
04-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Kobe's a dickhead, but that doesn't mean that Duncan isn't boring.

Was Duncan boring pouring in 40 pts and hitting a clutch 3 the other day?? Yeah that was one hell of a boring ass beating he handed you wasn't it??

mexicanjunior
04-21-2008, 11:58 AM

When the Spurs actually play a team that knows how to defend, scoring goes down. If the Spurs played the Suns every series, I'm sure they would average the 110+ per game you are looking for...

Solid D
04-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Ah yes...the proverbial "If you think the Spurs are boring than you don't know basketball".

Funny that the only people who "know" basketball all happen to live in the greater San Antonio area!

But stick with that. Everyone else is wrong and you are right.

Who said the only people who "know" basketball all happen to live in the greater San Antonio area? You, I guess, but that would be yet another self-indictment on your part. Find some quotes from basketball coaches about how boring the Spurs are. I'm sure they are few and far between but I'm open-minded about it, if you have some.

Now, if you are into just the personalities of the players, there you might have something.

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 12:00 PM
When the Spurs actually play a team that knows how to defend, scoring goes down. If the Spurs played the Suns every series, I'm sure they would average the 110+ per game you are looking for...

LMAO! So now its the SUNS fault that the Spurs are boring! :lol

The Spurs don't score point because the Suns don't play defense.

How come when the Spurs aren't in the finals, we see higher scoring games?

Teams only play great defense against the Spurs?

Dumbest argument Ive read in a while.

mexicanjunior
04-21-2008, 12:03 PM

If you consider scoring and not defending (ie losing when it counts) exciting basketball, than I guess the Suns meet your criteria to a T. Congrats on having a team that makes you happy up until mid April... :lol

dbreiden83080
04-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Now, if you are into just the personalities of the players, there you might have something.

What is funny is not even the big superstars with personality sell the game like they used too. Everyone was shocked that Lebron in the finals did nothing for the ratings, myself included. Back in the day did not matter who Jordan and the Bulls were playing, the ratings were always huge.

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Who said the only people who "know" basketball all happen to live in the greater San Antonio area? You, I guess, but that would be yet another self-indictment on your part. Find some quotes from basketball coaches about how boring the Spurs are. I'm sure they are few and far between but I'm open-minded about it, if you have some.

Well the only ones who watch the Spurs are in the greater San Antonio area. So Im either right or there are bunch of people who find the Spurs "exciting" but just don't watch for other reasons.

Forget personalities. The Spurs have been running "throw it to Duncan, wait for the double team" every play for ten years. They are one of the slowest teams in terms of pace:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats?seasonType=2

And they have been every year for the last decade. If you don't think the Spurs play a boring brand of basketball, then you are a homer.

THE PLAYERS THEMSELVES have admitted that their style of play is boring.

dbreiden83080
04-21-2008, 12:05 PM

Spurs played Pistons and Cavs in the finals, last few years those are 2 top notch defensive clubs, genius. Nobody was going to bomb 100 plus on them every game.

mexicanjunior
04-21-2008, 12:06 PM
If you consider scoring and not defending (ie losing when it counts) exciting basketball, than I guess the Suns meet your criteria to a T. Congrats on having a team that makes you happy up until mid April... :lol

BTW, I guess we will never know how many points the Suns would score in the Finals since they haven't been able to do it since the MVP Barkely years...for all we know, the Cavs of 07 or the Pistons of 05 would have shut the Suns down to under 90 a game, which I'm sure would drive the Suns fans crazy. :downspin:

dbreiden83080
04-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Forget personalities. The Spurs have been running "throw it to Duncan, wait for the double team" every play for ten years.

Guess this guy is not aware that Manu and Tony play for the Spurs. :rolleyes

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Spurs played Pistons and Cavs in the finals, last few years those are 2 top notch defensive clubs, genius. Nobody was going to bomb 100 plus on them every game.

LMAO! Except when the Suns play the Cavs, they put up points with no problem.

And when did the Cavs become "top notch" at anything?

mexicanjunior
04-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Forget personalities. The Spurs have been running "throw it to Duncan, wait for the double team" every play for ten years. They are one of the slowest teams in terms of pace:

How is that anymore boring than watching Nash run a pick and roll with Stoudamire, than pull up for a 20-25 foot jumper when someone goes under the screen? They have been doing that since Nash got there, at least Marbury threw in a drive to the lane or occassional dunk to spice things up, talk about mechanical and expected offense...there is a reason people figure out the Suns well before they can make it to the final round of the playoffs. :lol

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Guess this guy is not aware that Manu and Tony play for the Spurs. :rolleyes

I must have missed when Tim Duncan and Greg Popovic left the Spurs.

mexicanjunior
04-21-2008, 12:12 PM
LMAO! Except when the Suns play the Cavs, they put up points with no problem.

And when did the Cavs become "top notch" at anything?

I'm sorry, I must have missed that epic Suns - Cavs series in recent years where the Suns put up 120 a game... :lol

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 12:12 PM
How is that anymore boring than watching Nash run a pick and roll with Stoudamire, than pull up for a 20-25 foot jumper when someone goes under the screen? They have been doing that since Nash got there, at least Marbury threw in a drive to the lane or occassional dunk to spice things up, talk about mechanical and expected offense...there is a reason people figure out the Suns well before they can make it to the final round of the playoffs. :lol

I didn't say the Spurs weren't efficient, just boring.

The Suns are even more efficient in their offense. Only ours doesn't make people swear off NBA basketball.

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm sorry, I must have missed that epic Suns - Cavs series in recent years where the Suns put up 120 a game... :lol

Since the Suns didn't play the Cavs in the finals, we have no way to know how that series would have played out.

But we know how the Spurs and Cavs played out. Well...actually....most people don't know how it played out.

Most refused to watch (see ratings).

dbreiden83080
04-21-2008, 12:15 PM
I must have missed when Tim Duncan and Greg Popovic left the Spurs.

Apparently you also missed Tony and Manu driving the lane a million times a season. :rolleyes

mexicanjunior
04-21-2008, 12:16 PM
The Suns are even more efficient in their offense. Only ours doesn't make people swear off NBA basketball.

If only they could put that kind of mentality on the other end of the court, eh Suns fan? :lol

If all NBA fans really want just layups and dunks, they should make the "And 1" team legit, than they can watch all the scoring they want and your Suns would fit rght along with them...

dbreiden83080
04-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Since the Suns didn't play the Cavs in the finals, we have no way to know how that series would have played out.

But we know how the Spurs and Cavs played out. Well...actually....most people don't know how it played out.

Most refused to watch (see ratings).

Ratings for Suns in the finals is what exactly, i can't seem to find that one anywhere post-Jordan Era.

mexicanjunior
04-21-2008, 12:18 PM

All they have to do is check the record books, it will be quite clear there... :lobt2:

Perhaps if your Suns would actually keep their end of the bargain and make a Finals in the modern era, we could see the rebirth of the NBA since Phoenix alone would pull in the rest of the population apparently...

SpurForLife
04-21-2008, 12:20 PM
The Suns aren't boring. Just a predictable, no defense playing team that gets exposed year after year in the playoffs.

da_suns_fan
If only they could put that kind of mentality on the other end of the court, eh Suns fan? :lol

If all NBA fans really want just layups and dunks, they should make the "And 1" team legit, than they can watch all the scoring they want and your Suns would fit rght along with them...

Ah yes, the proverbial "you only like 'And 1' basketball if you don't like the Spurs".

Funny that no one watches 'And 1' basketball either.

da_suns_fan
Ratings for Suns in the finals is what exactly, i can't seem to find that one anywhere post-Jordan Era.

Why does it have to be the Suns?

Look for ratings for ANY team other than the Spurs.

mexicanjunior
04-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Ah yes, the proverbial "you only like 'And 1' basketball if you don't like the Spurs".

If you know what "And 1" is, then you watched at some point or know someone that watched. I think I saw D'Antonio taking some plays from The Professor and Main Event during a few of the episodes anyway, no need to get offended... :lol

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 12:24 PM
If you know what "And 1" is, then you watched at some point or know someone that watched. I think I saw D'Antonio taking some plays from The Professor and Main Event during a few of the episodes anyway, no need to get offended... :lol

Wait a second, but YOU know what "And 1" is. And according to your logic, that means you watch it as well!!! :lol

See, I knew you Spurs fans really hate boring basketball!

NoMoneyDown
04-21-2008, 12:24 PM

Ah yes, more of the "Ah yes" cliches.

mexicanjunior
04-21-2008, 12:25 PM

How did Mavs-Heat do in 06? I'm sure Pistons-Lakers did well in 04, mainly because it was the Lakers...if you just want teams that draw attention in the Finals, why not just let the Knicks and Lakers have a bye to the Finals every year? Doesn't make sense to have teams in the Finals if they aren't the most popular right?

mexicanjunior
04-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Wait a second, but YOU know what "And 1" is. And according to your logic, that means you watch it as well!!! :lol

See, I knew you Spurs fans really hate boring basketball!

And 1 is an entertaining show but I wouldn't trade it in for championship watching... :downspin:

dbreiden83080
04-21-2008, 12:28 PM

Ahh no problem lets do that

Spurs and Pistons averaged a 8.2 with game 7 getting an 11.9

The next year Mavs and Heat got a 9.5 Avg.

So throw out the window this idea that ratings are just a Spurs problem, they were only slightly better the next year when the Spurs were not in the finals. Lebron in the finals did nothing for the ratings either. Suns in the finals, well we have no clue post-Jordan era now do we??

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Ah yes, more of the "Ah yes" cliches.

Kudos for originality.

Ive seen it all...

The Spurs are only boring because of market sizes (most popular).

The Spurs are only boring because they play defense (most stupid).

The Spurs are only boring because people don't know good basketball (most arrogant).

The Spurs are only boring because teams like the Suns give a false impression of what the game is suppose to be (most jealous).

The Spurs are only boring because they have high quality guys on the team with rappers or thugs (most clueless).

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Ahh no problem lets do that

Spurs and Pistons averaged a 8.2 with game 7 getting an 11.9

The next year Mavs and Heat got a 9.5 Avg.

So throw out the window this idea that ratings are just a Spurs problem, they were only slightly better the next year when the Spurs were not in the finals. Lebron in the finals did nothing for the ratings either. Suns in the finals, well we have no clue post-Jordan era now do we??

Nice try buddy.

No spinning numbers now! The Mavs/Heat series got a higher rating than EVERY respective game of the Spurs/Pistons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Basketball_Association_Nielsen_ratings

Every....single....game.....

The only reason the Heat/Mavs didn't have a higher game 7 rating was because there wasn't a game 7.

That was PATHETIC. Shame on you for trying to lie. You should be a politician.

NoMoneyDown
04-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Kudos for originality.

LOL! Most stupid to whom?

mexicanjunior
04-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Kudos for originality.

Ive seen it all...

The Spurs are only boring because of market sizes (most popular).

The Spurs are only boring because people don't know good basketball (most arrogant).

The Spurs are only boring because teams like the Suns give a false impression of what the game is suppose to be (most jealous).

The Spurs are only boring because they have high quality guys on the team with rappers or thugs (most clueless).

You forgot...

"The Spurs are only boring because they beat my Suns every playoffs (most logical)"

mexicanjunior
04-21-2008, 12:35 PM

Nice try buddy.

No spinning numbers now! The Mavs/Heat series got a higher rating than EVERY respective game of the Spurs/Pistons:

The only reason the Heat/Mavs didn't have a higher game 7 rating was because there wasn't a game 7.

Weren't the Spurs in the finals in 99, I see:

NBC 1999 San Antonio Spurs 4, New York Knicks 1 11.3

That, lemme check...yes that is higher than Mavs - Heat in 2006 right?

Also:

ABC 2005 San Antonio Spurs 4, Detroit Pistons 3 8.2
ABC 2006 Miami Heat 4, Dallas Mavericks 2 8.5

So the only difference was .3, I'm sure that was just bitter Suns fans who swore off the playoffs after their precious team was dismissed in 5...congrats on skewing the numbers Phoenix... :lol

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Weren't the Spurs in the finals in 99, I see:

NBC 1999 San Antonio Spurs 4, New York Knicks 1 11.3

That, lemme check...yes that is higher than Mavs - Heat in 2006 right?

Also:

ABC 2005 San Antonio Spurs 4, Detroit Pistons 3 8.2
ABC 2006 Miami Heat 4, Dallas Mavericks 2 8.5

So the only difference was .3, I'm sure that was just bitter Suns fans who swore off the playoffs after their precious team was dismissed in 5...congrats on skewing the numbers Phoenix... :lol

Huh??? Who Skewed numbers? You just pointed out that my claim was accurate just not as dramatic.

In ONE game, the Spurs and Pistons had a close rating to that of the Mavs/Heat. Thats not skewing numbers. Thats proving my point!! :lol

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 12:39 PM
LOL! Most stupid to whom?

Anyone with a brain.

The Bulls played great defense and were NEVER called boring.

dbreiden83080
04-21-2008, 12:40 PM

Nice try buddy.

1-6 2006 finals were not much higher than what the Spurs did 1-6 that is a fact. Your theory about Ratings being just a Spurs problem has been proven 100% incorrect, simple as that.

mexicanjunior

"ABC 2005 San Antonio Spurs 4, Detroit Pistons 3 8.2
ABC 2006 Miami Heat 4, Dallas Mavericks 2 8.5" :toast

mexicanjunior
04-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Huh??? Who Skewed numbers? You just pointed out that my claim was accurate just not as dramatic.

In ONE game, the Spurs and Pistons had a close rating to that of the Mavs/Heat. Thats not skewing numbers. Thats proving my point!! :lol

I don't know how Spurs - Knicks in 99 outviewing Mavs - Heat in 06 is proving your point? Thanks for linking to that site though, it really helps our argument... :lol

You know it's sad when a fan can only use other team's numbers to try and prove how much better their team would be in the Finals... :downspin:

da_suns_fan_

Heck yes! The Spurs are definitely jealous of us! TV Ratings > Championships!

Boo Yah!

GrandeDavid
I love how you can go from having one of the greatest opening playoff games ever and still be called boring.

How brainwashed are the media and fans in general? Hilarious.

Exactly! I wish these lazy ass so-called sports writers would stop overstating what has no become painful cliche. Try an intelligent angle on the Spurs for once, and you are right about Game 1. Stupid idiots! The Spurs and Suns, right about now, are the most exciting teams in the NBA. :flag:

dbreiden83080
04-21-2008, 12:42 PM

Your point is the ratings are better, your problem is they are only slightly better, which shows you really have no point at all. Plus Suns have no real record of ratings in the finals because they never fucking get there.

sandman
04-21-2008, 12:44 PM
You know it's sad when a fan can only use other team's numbers to try and prove how much better their team would be in the Finals... :downspin:

I predict this response:

Ah yes, my team would get such better ratings than your team in the Finals were my team ever to reach the Finals, which it is never our fault that we don't...

Solid D
04-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Well the only ones who watch the Spurs are in the greater San Antonio area. So Im either right or there are bunch of people who find the Spurs "exciting" but just don't watch for other reasons.

And they have been every year for the last decade. If you don't think the Spurs play a boring brand of basketball, then you are a homer.

THE PLAYERS THEMSELVES have admitted that their style of play is boring.

:lol Meanwhile, any new player that comes to play for the Spurs talks about the learning curve and the number of offensive plays to learn in the Spurs' playbook.

mbass
04-21-2008, 12:48 PM

I think the Suns are BORING

phyzik
04-21-2008, 12:49 PM
NBA ratings championship thread!!!

Solid D
04-21-2008, 12:50 PM
http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/sections/sports/sports/article_557945.php

Spurs playbook confuses Pistons
Pistons are dazed and confused, and quickly running out of time.
By MARK WHICKER
The Orange County Register

SAN ANTONIO – Robert Horry, the Casanova of Trophy Love, says the San Antonio Spurs' playbook could overload a memory expert.

"We run so many plays, easily more than any other team I've been on," said Horry, the ex-Laker, ex-Sun, ex-Rocket and current Spur who is halfway toward winning an NBA championship with his third team.

"I think that's Detroit's problem right now. They haven't had much time to prepare for what we're doing. So we come out with all these plays and it's tough to deal with.

Just one of many articles...

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Your point is the ratings are better, your problem is they are only slightly better, which shows you really have no point at all. Plus Suns have no real record of ratings in the finals because they never fucking get there.

Actually no. In fact, the "average" numbers are skewed considering there was no game 7 for Mavs/Heat.

Take that game away and the average difference would be even greater.

And what do the Suns have to do with it?

SpursWoman
04-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Who gives a shit? Seriously.

Same dumb assed, short-sighted articles year after year after year. That, is boring.

And trolls slinging the same old crap year after year after year like we haven't heard it all before is pretty damn boring, too.

dbreiden83080
04-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Actually no. In fact, the "average" numbers are skewed considering there was no game 7 for Mavs/Heat.

The samle size we have to work with does not in any way help your case. Plus what do you consider a big difference in ratings?? If the Spurs had an average of 5.0 and Mavs/Heat got an 11.0 i would agree but that did not happen at all.

dbreiden83080
04-21-2008, 12:55 PM

If you believe Suns will get mega ratings they have a lot to do with it since you would not be able to prove that.

Solid D
04-21-2008, 12:56 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/sn/20080417/sp_sn/clutch3strioswillleadcelticsspurstonbafinals

By Stan McNeal -

Winning time. Crunch time. Nail-biting time. Sweaty palms time. No matter what you call the closing minutes of a tight game, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has a play for it. No team, in fact, has more options in the close-and-tight chapter of its playbook than the Spurs. "Hundreds," an advance scout says, "and I'm not exaggerating by much."

da_suns_fan
04-21-2008, 12:58 PM
The samle size we have to work with does not in any way help your case. Plus what do you consider a big difference in ratings?? If the Spurs had an average of 5.0 and Mavs/Heat got an 11.0 i would agree but that did not happen at all.

LMAO!

In EVERY Single year the finals have featured the Spurs, the ratings have gone DOWN from the previous year!

The following year, the finals have not featured the Spurs and the ratings have gone UP!

This has happened three times.

We have as good of a sample size as you could possibly ask for.

dbreiden83080
04-21-2008, 01:00 PM

Nobody ever called them NBA champions either. :hat

sandman
04-21-2008, 01:01 PM
LMAO!

In EVERY Single year the finals have featured the Spurs, the ratings have gone DOWN from the previous year!

The following year, the finals have not featured the Spurs and the ratings have gone UP!

That is like a Bucaneers fan criticizing Joe Montana for needing The Drive to beat the Bengals in the Super Bowl...

Now matter how they spin it, they look like a dumbass

dbreiden83080
04-21-2008, 01:02 PM
LMAO!

They went UP slightly in 2006 from 2005. Were millions and millions of people thrilled to death that the Spurs were not in the finals and the Heat and Mavs were?? NOPE. They were slightly more excited, that is why the ratings were slighty better, end of story.

BiZNicK
04-21-2008, 01:03 PM
I think they want us to stop playing defense...

Apparently Defense = Boring

Offense sells tickets
but
Defense sells championshipss

(i heard a quote like that from somewhere i forget)

ancestron
04-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Phoenix Suns. 2005-2006-2007-2008 Ratings Champions!!! Seriously, they should get banners, rings, and a parade for this incredible achievement!

Cry Havoc
04-21-2008, 04:24 PM

The Suns are actually pretty boring. If you want to watch a REAL showcase, turn on a Denver Nuggets game. The Suns are just slow and dull by comparison. :downspin:

Solid D
04-21-2008, 10:48 PM
The Suns are actually pretty boring. If you want to watch a REAL showcase, turn on a Denver Nuggets game. The Suns are just slow and dull by comparison. :downspin:

That's where we differ. Playinig above the rim is fun but it's not what basketball entertainment is all about with me. The Nuggets' undisciplined style is pretty frustrating for me to watch. All-Star Games get boring too and those are high-scoring, dunkfests. I don't watch NBA All-Star Games more than 10-15 minutes for that reason. Boring.

Strike
04-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Let the media whores report and say whatever they want.

Boring or not, the Spurs are the most successful professional sports franchise of the past decade. Suns fan would kill to be bored with 4 parades since 1999. So would any other city and it's team's fans.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-21-2008, 11:03 PM
That is like a Bucaneers fan criticizing Joe Montana for needing The Drive to beat the Bengals in the Super Bowl...

Now matter how they spin it, they look like a dumbass

Except the Bucs actually won a championship. Of course, they were a boring team, so I guess that doesn't really count. Dexter Jackson? :sleep