View Full Version : Duncan's Relief Unlikely

duncan228
04-20-2008, 11:39 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0420spursside0420.html

Duncan's relief unlikely
Forward's 1st 3 in more than year saves Spurs
Doug Haller
The Arizona Republic

SAN ANTONIO - He wasn't supposed to be involved. Not on that fateful play. Not at the end of Saturday's first overtime at the AT&T Center.

But at the last second, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich switched assignments, and Tim Duncan, the play's third option, buried one of the bigger shots of his career.

"In all honesty, I didn't think (the ball) was going to go there," Popovich said after a 117-115 double-overtime win that gave the Spurs a 1-0 lead in their first-round playoff series with the Suns.

"But he was exactly where he was supposed to be, and you could imagine my horror when it went in his direction. That's not what we expected."

The Spurs trailed 104-101 with 12.6 seconds left. Manu Ginobili waited for a Duncan screen near the top of the key and drove left.

Suns center Shaquille O'Neal broke from Duncan and tried to slow Ginobili enough for Steve Nash to catch up, but the Spurs guard had a step.

Ginobili considered driving all the way. He had an open lane. But he was aware of the time. A layup meant the Spurs still needed another possession, so with 6.4 seconds left, Ginobili turned and fired to Duncan, who was feeling confident after nailing an 18-foot jumper a minute earlier.

O'Neal tried to reverse course. Suns guard Raja Bell, standing near the basket, sprinted toward Duncan. But it was too late. The two-time MVP took his time, got his feet under him and drilled his first 3-pointer since March 28, 2007. This one produced a second overtime.

"I had all the time in the world to line it up," Duncan said. "I just threw it up there and hoped for the best."

From the San Antonio bench, Brent Barry wasn't even sure Ginobili knew who he was throwing to. Kurt Thomas wasn't positive Duncan had that kind of range. Popovich feared the worst.

"Whenever Timmy shoots a 3, I have doubt," he said, joking. "He's been on me lately for taking his game away and keeping him close to the rim. He thinks he has a lot more to show and I won't allow it. I think he's trying to send me a message."

Asked how confident he is from such distances, Duncan said, "Not very." Then he changed his mind. "No, I'm very confident. I don't think anybody else is." :lol

Before the game, the one statistic everyone kept repeating belonged to Duncan. In two games against O'Neal and the Suns, he had shot 15 of 40, averaging 20 points.

In Game 1, he hit 16 of 24 shots, finishing with 40 points, 15 rebounds and a 3-pointer he won't forget anytime soon.

jag
04-21-2008, 01:50 AM
Great article. Thanks for the post.

jmard5
04-21-2008, 02:57 AM
From the San Antonio bench, Brent Barry wasn't even sure Ginobili knew who he was throwing to. Kurt Thomas wasn't positive Duncan had that kind of range. Popovich feared the worst.

The camera panned into the Spurs bench and I saw Oberto and Vaughn leaning backwards during Duncan's 3 pointer. Barry in disbelief after the shot; ran towards Duncan and gave him a hug during the ensuing timeout. :lol

D'Antoni's face was undecipherabe. :lol

Maybe, just maybe... Duncan and David Robinson winning the All Stars Shooting contest foreshadowed of some things to come during the playoffs.

xtremesteven33
04-21-2008, 08:29 AM
great article....i dont know maybe Duncan is the secret weapon if we NEED a 3 pointer now...haha...maybe rasheed wallace can teach him to shoot with the left hand now..haha

Spurminator
04-21-2008, 09:57 AM
As out of the ordinary as it was for Duncan to hit a three pointer, and as much as Suns fans would love to chalk it up as a total fluke, Duncan has been hitting open 20-footers for years. For him to hit one from a few feet further back is rare, but it can't be totally unexpected. I have the same amount of confidence in Duncan hitting that shot as I do when Tony shoots a three.

cash459
04-21-2008, 10:43 AM
The camera panned into the Spurs bench and I saw Oberto and Vaughn leaning backwards during Duncan's 3 pointer. Barry in disbelief after the shot; ran towards Duncan and gave him a hug during the ensuing timeout. :lol

D'Antoni's face was undecipherabe. :lol

Maybe, just maybe... Duncan and David Robinson winning the All Stars Shooting contest foreshadowed of some things to come during the playoffs.

:toast

Elraptor
04-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Haha cool article :D

Dex
04-21-2008, 11:30 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/duncan_080419_1200.jpg

Here's one for your collection, 228.