PDA

View Full Version : Spurs must not allow a Suns Gm2 win..............aka. Spurs/Mavs 06 repeat

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-21-2008, 08:36 AM
The way the series has started out is just too similar, Shaq is pissed off (because he's bitching about flopping), and I'm sure the rest of the Suns feel they should have won it

Time for Manu and the rest of the Spurs to play like they did in the second half for the entire game and the Spurs take this one easy

xtremesteven33
04-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Spurs bench needs to come big in this game...they also need to slow down Barbosa and find someone to guard Boris Diaw...Horry?

SpurOutofTownFan
04-21-2008, 08:44 AM
I thought the suns had a good opportunity of stealing game 1 and honestly i think that was the only game they could have taken home. I think the spurs woke up now.

conqueso
04-21-2008, 09:02 AM
I see two scenarios:

1. The Suns put it all on the line, and suffered an emotionally crippling loss. The delusion they had built in their mind that they "own" the Spurs since they now have Shaq has been erased. They didn't give the Spurs their best shot since they were saddled with foul trouble, but they gave them damn near their best, and it wasn't good enough. A deflating loss like this will destroy their confidence, and players like Barbosa and Bell who nailed shots in Game One will be fellating Tony and Manu in Game Two. The Suns will respond like the '03 Lakers did in Game Six, i.e. they will get gang raped.

2. The Suns got jobbed by the refs, and still know they're the better team. The NBA has realized that this is the greatest first round series EVER and will make sure the right refs are assigned to make sure it goes seven (and by "right" I mean the ones who typically aren't homer refs and/or who hate Duncan, so that's Javies and Crawford). The Spurs expended too much energy, really did give the Suns their best shot, and it was just barely enough. The Spurs offense is like the immune system of an AIDS patient: some times it's strong and robust, but with just a moment's notice, it will totally shut down for extended periods of time. Shaq will respond with a vengeance in Game Two, Duncan will have pedestrian numbers, and the Spurs will get run out of the AT&T Center. What happened to the '06 Spurs in Game Two against Dallas will also happen in Game Two here, i.e. after a tough, gutsy victory, they will go out and get annihilated by a healthy dose of shitty calls and determined opponents.

Right now, I'm leaning a little bit more towards scenario 2, although I think the Spurs will be prepared for and expecting this scenario and could be able to overcome it. Let's just hope we don't have to rely on any more threes from Duncan in order to win.

nkdlunch
04-21-2008, 09:17 AM
2 things Im sure of is that refs will let a more physical play in 2nd game. Our players will get beat up badly. and suns will come out with everything they got.

But the mental edge is all on the side of the Spurs. It's all in the Spurs hands to win game 2. I am liking their chances.

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-21-2008, 09:22 AM
In order to get Shaq/Amare in foul trouble Manu/Duncan/Parker will have to get to the line a hell of a lot more, I don't think the refs will calls O charge against the Suns after the Shaq bitching

Borosai
04-21-2008, 09:25 AM
SnaqAttaq will still get called for offensive fouls because the refs are just as tired of him as we are. That's what my sources tell me.

Budkin
04-21-2008, 09:33 AM
The Suns blew their chance. The Spurs switch has been flipped. Look out.

JWest596
04-21-2008, 09:36 AM
The Spurs need to win game two. One to maintain home court and second, Phoenix will not win the next 4 out of five. The series will be essentially over and the Suns will know it. That message needs to be sent ASAP.
IMO, its a ending statement game and the sooner this series is over the better. It's that important. Spurs need to play as few games as possible.

Supergirl
04-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Suns complaining about refs after a game, even a game in which the whole thing was a ridiculously biased game IN THEIR FAVOR?

Now isn't that a surprise.

/sarcasm.

Jimcs50
04-21-2008, 09:50 AM
I predicted a close win in game 1 and a double digit win in game 2, and I am sticking with that.

Spurs will win on Tuesday, no doubt about it.

I would bet wine on it.

:)

sandman
04-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Suns complaining about refs after a game, even a game in which the whole thing was a ridiculously biased game IN THEIR FAVOR?

/sarcasm.

I don't know about ridiculously biased, but they definitely got more calls than a normal road team. Went to the line 3 more times than the Spurs, when generally the home team among two evenly matched teams will get more FT's.

What I thought was interesting is that for all of Shaq's complaining about the flopping, the offensive fouls were just about even at 7-6. The big difference is that Shaq/Amare accounted for 5 of the 7 PHX offensive fouls. Meanwhile, the Spurs only had two offensive fouls on their big men, and one was the bad Duncan call where he slid by Nash on the fast break layup. The other four were by perimeter players, where flopping usually occurs out in the open floor in the form of flailing after contact from a pick or exagerrated flying backwards from a forearm from the driver.

Does anyone remember who actually took the charges on the Shaq/Amare fouls?

Elraptor
04-21-2008, 10:33 AM
They play like they played the second half all through the rest of the playoffs, they will win it all - No question.

Not to mention, Suns had a 15 point lead :lol

Louae
04-21-2008, 10:42 AM
The way the series has started out is just too similar, Shaq is pissed off (because he's bitching about flopping), and I'm sure the rest of the Suns feel they should have won it

Time for Manu and the rest of the Spurs to play like they did in the second half for the entire game and the Spurs take this one easy

Well, in that series, Game 2 was essentially a 3rd game in 4 nights with the quick turnaround between game 6 with the Kings and the early start time for Game 1 with the Mavs. There was only a day of rest between game 1 and game 2.

leemajors
04-21-2008, 10:51 AM
I predicted a close win in game 1 and a double digit win in game 2, and I am sticking with that.

I would bet wine on it.

Spurs are now doomed. :depressed

boutons_
04-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Game2 will define the series.

Spurs win, it's over, sooner rather than later. The Suns are not the team the 04 Lakers were and won't come back for 0-2. There's no Malone+Shaq tandem to neutralize Tim.

Spurs lose, it's a 6- or 7-game unpredictable dogfight.

rascal
04-21-2008, 11:11 AM
The Suns blew their chance. The Spurs switch has been flipped. Look out.

There are no switches. I've been seeing this flipped switch theory all season and the spurs come out and lose the next game.

SAGambler
04-21-2008, 11:20 AM
SnaqAttaq will still get called for offensive fouls because the refs are just as tired of him as we are. That's what my sources tell me.

I think for years and years, the refs were told to just swallow their whistles, and let Shaq shove whoever out of the way so he could "get his". Shaq sold a shitload of jerseys. Now that other players are marketing kings, they don't need fat Shaq any longer. Say "goodbye" to the shit you used to get away with lard ass. Those days are over.

1Parker1
04-21-2008, 11:23 AM

I would bet wine on it.

Great...a loss this means.

bdictjames
04-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Only difference is.. this is not the same Manu we have seen EVER. And we've got Mr. Finals MVP and Duncan is woken up, this is far from the Mavs series.

cherylsteele
04-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Shaq is pissed off (because he's bitching about flopping)
Shaq and Amare did there share of flopping too, so he has no room to complain.

urunobili
04-21-2008, 01:24 PM
i think game 2 is a trapt and we need to win it with more desire than the first one and send them a message.. i am not sure if the suns have yet another gear... but... we also did as many mistakes as they did... theirs... were more costly though...

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Duncan/Parker = 50+ min
Finely = 48min
Manu = 45 min

Spurs are going to be dead tired, shit, just like in that series for gm2

plus Shaq only played 30 min

T Park
04-21-2008, 06:20 PM
dead tired after 2 days off?

Your way off its two totally different scenarios.

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-21-2008, 06:22 PM
dead tired after 2 days off?

Your way off its two totally different scenarios.

I know in that series the Spurs just came off a tough series with the Kings

but I'm afraid the Spurs(oldest team in the NBA) may have burnt themselves out and are now playing a pissed off Suns team

timvp
04-21-2008, 06:24 PM
I see two scenarios:

1. The Suns put it all on the line, and suffered an emotionally crippling loss. The delusion they had built in their mind that they "own" the Spurs since they now have Shaq has been erased. They didn't give the Spurs their best shot since they were saddled with foul trouble, but they gave them damn near their best, and it wasn't good enough. A deflating loss like this will destroy their confidence, and players like Barbosa and Bell who nailed shots in Game One will be fellating Tony and Manu in Game Two. The Suns will respond like the '03 Lakers did in Game Six, i.e. they will get gang raped.

2. The Suns got jobbed by the refs, and still know they're the better team. The NBA has realized that this is the greatest first round series EVER and will make sure the right refs are assigned to make sure it goes seven (and by "right" I mean the ones who typically aren't homer refs and/or who hate Duncan, so that's Javies and Crawford). The Spurs expended too much energy, really did give the Suns their best shot, and it was just barely enough. The Spurs offense is like the immune system of an AIDS patient: some times it's strong and robust, but with just a moment's notice, it will totally shut down for extended periods of time. Shaq will respond with a vengeance in Game Two, Duncan will have pedestrian numbers, and the Spurs will get run out of the AT&T Center. What happened to the '06 Spurs in Game Two against Dallas will also happen in Game Two here, i.e. after a tough, gutsy victory, they will go out and get annihilated by a healthy dose of shitty calls and determined opponents.

Right now, I'm leaning a little bit more towards scenario 2, although I think the Spurs will be prepared for and expecting this scenario and could be able to overcome it. Let's just hope we don't have to rely on any more threes from Duncan in order to win.Valid points. Game 2 will go down as the most pivotal game of the series. It's safe to say the winner of Game 2 wins the series.

T Park
04-21-2008, 06:24 PM
They weren't youngins in 2006 either.

Pissed off Suns team? Big whoop.

You withstand the onslaught and play Spurs basketball.

If you don't win, you don't win.

DazedAndConfused
04-21-2008, 06:26 PM
When the Suns have their frontcourt on the floor they seem to do a pretty decent job at defending the Spurs. Of course therein lies the rub, they can never keep their frontcourt on the floor for very long. If the refs swallow their whistles and let Shaq play physical I can see the Suns possibly winning Game 2.

T Park
04-21-2008, 06:26 PM
I don't see how someone can say the Spurs gave the Suns "their best shot"

Ginobili's shooting was off, as was Parker's for a whole half.
Udoka, Bowen, Finley played OK. Thomas and Oberto's offense was minimal.

I just don't see where this was the Spurs's BEST SHOT.

I mean you can't treat Duncan's game like it was the team.

td4mvp21
04-21-2008, 06:31 PM
I don't think the Spurs gave the Suns their best shot. If the Spurs had played the entire game like they had the second half, and still only won by 2 in double overtime, then yeah, I would be more concerned than I am now. I'm not so sure if the Suns gave us their best shot either, but they played damn good the entire game, you would be stupid to think otherwise. The Spurs outperformed them in the clutch, but that's what the Spurs usually do against the Suns. We'll have to see if that holds up. Like conqueso said, those are the two scenarios, we just have to wait and find out which is true...

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-21-2008, 06:39 PM
I don't see how someone can say the Spurs gave the Suns "their best shot"

Ginobili's shooting was off, as was Parker's for a whole half.
Udoka, Bowen, Finley played OK. Thomas and Oberto's offense was minimal.

I just don't see where this was the Spurs's BEST SHOT.

I mean you can't treat Duncan's game like it was the team.

The Spurs didn't play there A game in GM1, but they still expended a lot of energy

but if Duncan is the only one that shows up in the half again, Spurs are done. Manu HAS to be big for 4qt

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-22-2008, 07:05 AM
God help us........

bresilhac
04-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Game2 will define the series.

Spurs win, it's over, sooner rather than later. The Suns are not the team the 04 Lakers were and won't come back for 0-2. There's no Malone+Shaq tandem to neutralize Tim.

Spurs lose, it's a 6- or 7-game unpredictable dogfight.

I agree. If San Antonio gets game two it's essentially over. That's how critical tonight's game is to the series. Forced to take four out of five from the Spurs the Suns will collapse.

boutons_
04-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Being completely selfish, I really don't want to wake up Wed morning 1-1.

1-1 would mean going 6 or 7.

2-0 could very well mean 4-1 with a day or two more of rest.

dreamcastrocks
04-22-2008, 08:56 AM

/sarcasm.

Now that's just silly. Plenty of your own fans are saying that the officiating was pretty even. It was more even than any game in last year's series, that's for sure.

I personally won't mind too much if the Suns lose tomorrow. They just can't lose another nailbiter. They can't be up for 45 minutes in the game, and then fail to close you guys out.

A Suns win would obviously be my best scenerio. A Spurs blowout is next, then a close game.

I honestly don't know which Suns team will show up tonight.