PDA

View Full Version : Celtics own NBA, Spurs own Celtics....

xtremesteven33
04-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Im kinda upset at the fact that the Boston Celtics have such a easy road to the NBA Finals. Im not even going to count the Pistons as an obstacle cause we all know ever since Larry Brown left they have not been the same. Lebron James seemingly single handidly beat DEEETROIT. So im predicting the Celtics will be the Spurs of 1999. Remember how they only lost 1 game on thier way to the NBA Finals? thats how dominant they were. the same goes for the Celtics. They are so hungry and so good they will just bulldoze thier way to the Finals and maybe to the Championship right?

But how bout the Spurs? I know the league is just salivating of the thought of a Lakers vs Celtics NBA Finals but would that really be a great series? The Lakers are a very good young team but with the exception of Kobe and Fisher they have really young and inexperienced players and lack that team defense that always wins championships. So what about the Spurs? When i see the Celtics I see the Spurs. I see stars deniying the limelight for the sake of a championship. And when you can get stars to do this and play team defense you have something very special. Same goes for the Spurs. Even though statistically they are not the "BEST" defensive team i truly believe they are. While i dont see anyone in the East defeating Boston i also do not see anyone dethroning San Antonio this year. The Spurs are out this year to Repeat. They want to silence the critics once and for all about how all that they have accomplished is not considered a modern day dynasty. Duncan wants to be remembered as not only the greatest PF of all time but also the best BIG MAN since Bill Russell. The Celtics are also out to win and that is it.

Thats is why i have the Celtics vs Spurs since the beginning of the season. I can see greatness right away with these two teams. But in a 7 game series i see the Spurs winning. For some reason i still see individual pride within the Celtics. Im speaking of Paul Pierce and Ray Allen. Kevin Garnett is Tim Duncan with Attitude as far as Team Defense and Team Basketball. But Allen and Pierce i still question when it comes to Playoff basketball. Remember the Chicago Bulls played team offense but when it comes to crunch time there was conflict on will take the final shot. Pippen or Jordan? Scottie Pippen actually sat out a last play posession due to the fact that he let his pride get before him and didnt want to take a final shot. I can see the same happen for the Celtics. 2 guy, Allen and Pierce with so much pride neither on of these guys want to be in someones elses shadow. The Spurs have been there before and now thier roles.

Pride goeth before a Fall.....and i see the Celtics falling short of a Championship this year......and this year belongs to the Spurs chasing after....:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

Elraptor
04-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Celtics and Spurs = Really good match.

DazedAndConfused
04-21-2008, 11:18 AM
The Celtics thrashed the Spurs without Garnett @ home. They then overcame a 22pt deficit on the road without Ray Allen. They play better defense than the Spurs and have a better offense than the Spurs. Barring a complete mental collapse on their part, what the fuck makes you so confident you can beat the Celtics?

xtremesteven33
04-21-2008, 12:55 PM
The Celtics thrashed the Spurs without Garnett @ home. They then overcame a 22pt deficit on the road without Ray Allen. They play better defense than the Spurs and have a better offense than the Spurs. Barring a complete mental collapse on their part, what the fuck makes you so confident you can beat the Celtics?

because we are the best team until proven otherwise. One stupid regular season game doesnt matter to the Spurs. One of these days yall will realize that. Duncan has ALWAYS owned Garnett. ALWAYS. Bowen has always owned Ray Allen. The Spurs would definetely have the NBA Finals experience on thier side while the Celtics would be a bundle of nerves. Yes i do believe the Celtics have the better talent but the Spurs have better team chemistry and better role players and coach.

you my friend cannot deny this...

Gant
04-21-2008, 12:55 PM
This is a very unusual usage of the word "own." The Spurs have not yet beaten these Celtics despite the Boston playing without stars in both games (I know, Parker was out the first game too, but Rondo plays quick guards very well).

As far as being hungry- the Celtics all stars are *I've been waiting for this my whole life hungry*.

And as far as fighting for the shot- that's a non-issue. That has not come up at all this year. The big three were recently interviewed on ABC and asked to answer all at once, "Game 7, NBA finals, clock winding down who takes the last shot?

Pierce and Garnett both said, "Ray."
Ray Allen said, "Whoever's open."

I agree with you that Duncan is the best PF of all time. But the Russell legacy is with Boston, and the trophy will not be #5. It will be #17.

Indazone
04-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Little Early to be talking about the Celtics don'tcha think? Lets get past the Suns first.

mavsfan1000
04-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Celtics would own the Spurs just like everyone else. They are an unbelievable team.

DazedAndConfused
04-21-2008, 01:23 PM
I've seen nothing from SAS that would make me believe they would own the Celtics. In fact, from what I've seen the exact opposite might happen.

This year the Celtics are playing at a higher level than everyone else. If the Lakers had a healthy Bynum and Ariza integrated with the team they MIGHT have a shot at taking them out. But even then it'd be a 50/50 chance at best IMHO. Barring a complete mental breakdown the Celtics really do look like the team to beat. No disrespect to the defending champs.

BiZNicK
04-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Beating the Spurs 2-0 in the regular season means nothing in the playoffs..

Go ask the Cavs.

Plus

1. Game 1, TP and KG were out....so neither team was at 100% anyway

2. Game 2, Boston came back in the end and barely got a win...

Celtics don't own the Spurs at all. We can definitely take them...especially a 7game series

brettn
04-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Minor correction, but it was actually Pippen sitting down in the 94 playoffs because Jackson drew up a play for Kukoc to take the last shot. Jordan was in his first year of "retirement" at that point. I could be wrong, but I don't think even Pippen would argue with having Jordan take the last shot over him in a pressure situation.

That being said, you bring up a good point about who the Celtics "go to guy" in a real clutch situation would be. Sure they've had their fair share of close games/buzzer beaters this season, but it's a completely different situation when your entire season is on the line and not a meaningless regular season game. While I personally don't think it will be much of an issue (I think the team is under the impression that Allen is there go to guy in the clutch), it very well COULD present a problem with 3 all stars of their calibur.

Other than that I think it's way too early to be calling a spurs-celtics finals. And while the celtics rode to the finals is less challenging than what the spurs face in the west, it's by no means a cake walk. They could potentially face the Wizards in the 2nd round (lost the season series to them 3-1) or even lebron (see pistons last year). Neither of those could be considered "easy" and we haven't even talked about the possibility of facing the stingy pistons in the conference finals.

Tacker
04-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Im not even going to count the Pistons as an obstacle cause we all know ever since Larry Brown left they have not been the same.

Actually they were never the same ever since Big Ben left. Ben Wallace provided that smothering interior defense that is now lost. Imagine Wallace as a PF and Big Ben as Center. That was domination.

icem
04-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Beating the Spurs 2-0 in the regular season means nothing in the playoffs..

Go ask the Cavs.

Plus

1. Game 1, TP and KG were out....so neither team was at 100% anyway

2. Game 2, Boston came back in the end and barely got a win...

Celtics don't own the Spurs at all. We can definitely take them...especially a 7game series

sorry, but you're just a homer. you can't seriously be comparing the cavs to this years celtics. there is no comparison IMO. 3 hall of fame players vs 1.

im a spurs fan, but im not blind. right now the celtics are a better team than we are. as of right now i doubt we could make it to game 6 in series against them, but that may change as the playoffs go on and we get stronger. (no guarentee that will happen though)

BiZNicK
04-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Ummmm maybe you dont watch basketball much

Regular season and playoffs are completely different. Spurs step up. Spurs can take out Celtics in 6. Don't be stupid, remember who the Spurs are.

DazedAndConfused
04-21-2008, 06:00 PM
The Celtics are a better team than the Spurs in just about EVERY category imaginable. Spurs are more experienced and have played longer together, but they are not as talented as the Celtics.

I have yet to see the Celtics choke in a single game this entire season. I think they've been handed maybe 1-3 blowout losses as well, when they lose it is usually by a couple points at best. When the game is on the line they have Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and Sam Cassell to go to. That's 3 fucking clutch shooters. Anyone who thinks the Spurs have a chance, with the way they are playing right now, is a fucking dumbshit homer.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-21-2008, 06:02 PM

Because regular season Spurs <> post-season Spurs.

Try paying attention sometime.

td4mvp21
04-21-2008, 06:05 PM
The Celtics are a better team than the Lakers in just about EVERY category imaginable. Lakers are less experienced and they are not as talented as the Celtics.

I have yet to see the Celtics choke in a single game this entire season. I think they've been handed maybe 1-3 blowout losses as well, when they lose it is usually by a couple points at best. When the game is on the line they have Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and Sam Cassell to go to. That's 3 fucking clutch shooters. Anyone who thinks the Lakers have a chance, with the way they are playing now, is a fucking dumbshit homer.

Tell that to the hoard of Lakers fans predicting an NBA Championship. I guess they all forgot about the Celtics?

Anyway, I'm not thinking about the Celtics right now. I can't see how any Spurs fan is thinking about a team other than the Suns. This series isn't a given, and Game 1 win doesn't mean shit.

DazedAndConfused
04-21-2008, 06:15 PM
Name one Laker fan who thinks our team can beat the Celtics?

Without a healthy Bynum and Ariza we have no shot. Just like the Spurs have no shot unless everyone on their team finds the fountain of youth. Lord knows they won't have much in the tank if every series they play goes the distance.

BiZNicK
04-21-2008, 06:36 PM
The Celtics are a better team than the Spurs in just about EVERY category imaginable. Spurs are more experienced and have played longer together, but they are not as talented as the Celtics.

I have yet to see the Celtics choke in a single game this entire season. I think they've been handed maybe 1-3 blowout losses as well, when they lose it is usually by a couple points at best. When the game is on the line they have Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and Sam Cassell to go to. That's 3 fucking clutch shooters. Anyone who thinks the Spurs have a chance, with the way they are playing right now, is a fucking dumbshit homer.

lol what a dumbass.

Hop off the Celtics bandwagon now, they haven't proven anything in the PLAYOFFS yet. Until they do, regular season stats mean shit.

Spurs rock
04-21-2008, 06:59 PM

The Regular season means shit you dumbass.

The Playoffs is where it counts.

:flag:

FromWayDowntown
04-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Isn't this rather premature?

The_Game
04-21-2008, 07:07 PM
celtics are simply better than the spurs

spurs used to be the best defensive team...not anymore. boston are better offensively and defensively. That says it all

SPURS WILL NOT BEAT BOSTON IN A 7 GAME SERIES

PERIOD

TampaDude
04-21-2008, 07:22 PM
The Spurs are simply better than the Celtics.

Spurs have 4 titles...more than anyone in the last decade. SA is better in the playoffs than anyone. Big game experience. That says it all.

CELTICS WILL NOT BEAT SPURS IN A 7 GAME SERIES

PERIOD

Fixed it for ya...besides, the Pistons are going to the NBA Finals, not the Celtics. Book it.

Amare_32
04-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Premature ejaculation thread. How about waiting to see who wins the West?

Amare_32
04-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Fixed it for ya...besides, the Pistons are going to the NBA Finals, not the Celtics. Book it.

The Pistons time has come and gone. It won't shock me if they lose to the Magic in the semis.

TampaDude
04-21-2008, 07:33 PM
The Pistons time has come and gone. It won't shock me if they lose to the Magic in the semis.

The Magic? Hmmmm...could be interesting for us here in Florida...

Amare_32
04-21-2008, 07:36 PM
I hope the Celts win it all this year. That will be great to see Garnett get his ring. I can't think of another player outside of Nash more deserving of that chance.

Amare_32
04-21-2008, 07:37 PM
The Magic? Hmmmm...could be interesting for us here in Florida...

Detroit's problem is the mentality of turning it off and on.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-21-2008, 07:45 PM

Again, regular season games are not comparable with playoffs if you are talking about teams of the caliber of the Spurs who are proven winners.

Last night I watched the celtics beat the hawks and altought they beat them handedly at the end of the game the hawks played with them most of the game. the celtics are totally beatable and still haven't won anything. As the lakers.

Amare_32
04-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Again, regular season games are not comparable with playoffs if you are talking about teams of the caliber of the Spurs who are proven winners.

Last night I watched the celtics beat the hawks and altought they beat them handedly at the end of the game the hawks played with them most of the game. the celtics are totally beatable and still haven't won anything. As the lakers.

The Hawks were in the game mostly because of foul trouble for the Celts.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-21-2008, 07:51 PM

The whole conversation about individuals being more talented than the spurs is just pathetic... how do you quantify that?

isn't parker talented? or Duncan, or Barry or ginobili?

how do you qualify that? is it who jumps higher? who weights more? who has the better frame?

how does it translate into wins? rings? glory?

Not pointed out to you specifically but come on!!!!

SpurOutofTownFan
04-21-2008, 07:56 PM
The Hawks were in the game mostly because of foul trouble for the Celts.

Not really, they just played well and had a lot of easy baskets. These are the personal fouls from yesterday games. No problems there.

P.Pierce 4
K.Garnett 3
K.Perkins 3
R.Allen 1
R.Rondo 1
S.Cassell 1
J.Posey 3
L.Powe 4
E.House 0
P.Brown 0
T.Allen 0
G.Davis 1
Total 21

TampaDude
04-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Detroit's problem is the mentality of turning it off and on.

Yeah, that's the Pistons' main weakness...they play down to their opponents and get sloppy...that's how they lose games...

TampaDude
04-21-2008, 08:13 PM
I hope the Celts win it all this year. That will be great to see Garnett get his ring. I can't think of another player outside of Nash more deserving of that chance.

I agree with you on Garnett...he's awesome...it's just that I hate everything Boston with a passion...fuck the Celtics...

DazedAndConfused
04-21-2008, 08:14 PM

The Spurs needed miracle 3pt shots from Duncan and double OT just to beat the Suns AT HOME, they haven't impressed me either.

The Celtics, OTOH, took care of business and obliterated the Hawks by 20+ pts. If that's not impressive you're just a hater or a homer.....probably both.

TampaDude
04-21-2008, 08:20 PM
The Spurs needed miracle 3pt shots from Duncan and double OT just to beat the Suns AT HOME, they haven't impressed me either.

The Celtics, OTOH, took care of business and obliterated the Hawks by 20+ pts. If that's not impressive you're just a hater or a homer.....probably both.

If you think the Hawks are anywhere close to the Suns, you're on some serious crickety crack, dude...the Suns would SWEEP the Hawks in a playoff series.

DazedAndConfused
04-21-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm just pointing out the irrational hate the Celtics get on here by people who deep down fear them. They have come out and done everything possible to silence haters and they still get flak. It's funny that it comes from Spurs fans, whose team couldn't beat the Celtics without KG and then again at home without Ray Allen.

Celtics play better defense than SAS, they have a better offense, they have mentally tough players, they are clutch, they are deep and have a good bench, and they seem to be very well coached. Most importantly, they are HUNGRIER. If you don't think KG, RA, and PP are hungry for a ring you don't know shit.

TampaDude
04-21-2008, 08:37 PM
If you don't think KG, RA, and PP are hungry for a ring you don't know shit.

You can say the same about any team in the playoffs. The Celtics are a very good team, but only time will tell if they can translate their regular season success into playoff success and an NBA Title...it's not guaranteed...just ask the Mavs...

Amare_32
04-21-2008, 08:45 PM
You can say the same about any team in the playoffs. The Celtics are a very good team, but only time will tell if they can translate their regular season success into playoff success and an NBA Title...it's not guaranteed...just ask the Mavs...

True but I don't see the Celtics collapsing like the Mavs. You can argue that KG in the past has disappeared in close games but he won't be the one hitting the shots in a tight game. That will be Ray Allen or Pierce.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-21-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm just pointing out the irrational hate the Celtics get on here by people who deep down fear them. They have come out and done everything possible to silence haters and they still get flak. It's funny that it comes from Spurs fans, whose team couldn't beat the Celtics without KG and then again at home without Ray Allen.

Celtics play better defense than SAS, they have a better offense, they have mentally tough players, they are clutch, they are deep and have a good bench, and they seem to be very well coached. Most importantly, they are HUNGRIER. If you don't think KG, RA, and PP are hungry for a ring you don't know shit.

Look - every time somebody points out this celtics team hasn't won anyting yet you call us out we are afraid, etc or homers. you just compared the celtics victory over the hawks with the spurs victory over the suns. There's nothing to compare about those 2 matches. You are kidding yourself.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-21-2008, 08:50 PM
True but I don't see the Celtics collapsing like the Mavs. You can argue that KG in the past has disappeared in close games but he won't be the one hitting the shots in a tight game. That will be Ray Allen or Pierce.

You could have said the same about the mavs before they lost against GS last year.

Comparing regular season games is mute point. Mute point.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-21-2008, 08:52 PM

Nobody is hungrier than the spurs to repeat. Mark my words. They showed huge resilience against adversity this past weekend and they know what they have to do to win.

Amare_32
04-21-2008, 08:53 PM
You could have said the same about the mavs before they lost against GS last year.

Comparing regular season games is mute point. Mute point.

Actually I picked the Warriors to win that series. The Mavs got owned by Wade in the Finals in 06.

Amare_32
04-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Nobody is hungrier than the spurs to repeat. Mark my words. They showed huge resilience against adversity this past weekend and they know what they have to do to win.

The Spurs are still the Champs but thier road to the Finals is tougher then Boston's.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-21-2008, 08:56 PM
The Spurs are still the Champs but thier road to the Finals is tougher then Boston's.

No arguing that point sincerely - wining it all for the spurs this year would be the epitome of dynasty.

DazedAndConfused
04-21-2008, 09:01 PM
I dunno I think 3 superstars who have NEVER won a ring would be just a little bit hungrier for a ring compared to a team that's won 4. But that's not an argument either of us can prove or disprove.

So let's focus on the things that matter. Defense, Celtics play better defense than the Spurs. There is no disputing this, they are better in just about every statistical category and don't really seem to have any weaknesses on defense. Offensively I don't think they are as dominant, but they are still a much better offensive team than the Spurs. You won't see the Celtics put up 11 pts in a quarter like the Spurs.

You're only argument is playoff experience. Well let me tell you something, PHX has all the playoff experience in the world and that didn't stop them from making several idiotic decisions in the clutch. What's more important is having players on the floor with high basketball intelligence and mental toughness. Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Sam Cassell......you can't really go wrong with this trio to close games out. Sure Garnett has choked before but the pressure is no longer on him, just like the pressure is no longer on Gasol now. So really you have no leg to stand on as far as your argument goes and if the Spurs and Celtics face off in the Finals I'll be laughing my ass off when the Spurs get sent home ringless again in another even year.

TampaDude
04-21-2008, 09:03 PM
I dunno I think 3 superstars who have NEVER won a ring would be just a little bit hungrier for a ring compared to a team that's won 4. But that's not an argument either of us can prove or disprove.

So let's focus on the things that matter. Defense, Celtics play better defense than the Spurs. There is no disputing this, they are better in just about every statistical category and don't really seem to have any weaknesses on defense. Offensively I don't think they are as dominant, but they are still a much better offensive team than the Spurs. You won't see the Celtics put up 11 pts in a quarter like the Spurs.

You're only argument is playoff experience. Well let me tell you something, PHX has all the playoff experience in the world and that didn't stop them from making several idiotic decisions in the clutch. What's more important is having players on the floor with high basketball intelligence and mental toughness. Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Sam Cassell......you can't really go wrong with this trio to close games out. Sure Garnett has choked before but the pressure is no longer on him, just like the pressure is no longer on Gasol now. So really you have no leg to stand on as far as your argument goes and if the Spurs and Celtics face off in the Finals I'll be laughing my ass off when the Spurs get sent home ringless again in another even year.

We'll just have to wait and see... :toast

Amare_32
04-21-2008, 09:05 PM

That whole thing about their playoff experience is moot to me. Garnett,Pierce,Allen they have not been to the Finals granted but they have plenty of postseason experience. All 3 have been in the Conference Finals. Cassell and Posey have won titles.

Gant
04-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Not really, they just played well and had a lot of easy baskets. These are the personal fouls from yesterday games. No problems there.

P.Pierce 4
K.Garnett 3
K.Perkins 3
R.Allen 1
R.Rondo 1
S.Cassell 1
J.Posey 3
L.Powe 4
E.House 0
P.Brown 0
T.Allen 0
G.Davis 1
Total 21

Perkins and Garnett both left the game earlier than usual in the first half with foul trouble. They just didn't pick up any after that.

It did temporarily affect the Celtics rotation and the Hawks took advantage for their only run. Also Powe played nervously in his first stint of his first playoff game. He started to look like himself in the second half though.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-21-2008, 09:10 PM

As I said in another post and to summarize this a little bit: regular season discussion is mute at this point. We'll see which team is the best in june.

Amare_32
04-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Perkins and Garnett both left the game earlier than usual in the first half with foul trouble. They just didn't pick up any after that.

It did temporarily affect the Celtics rotation and the Hawks took advantage for their only run. Also Powe played nervously in his first stint of his first playoff game. He started to look like himself in the second half though.

What should worry Atlanta is the Celtics did not played that great and still won by +20.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-21-2008, 09:13 PM

The only time I know things got scary was when the hawks were catching up and silvers had to send KG back into the game. Other than that i don;t think we can call the hawks hanging out with them just because the celtics were in foul trouble. The truth is for anyone who was really watching the game that the hawks had some very easy possessions more than one time and took advantage of them.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-21-2008, 09:15 PM
What should worry Atlanta is the Celtics did not played that great and still won by +20.

I live in Atlanta - I know they have no chance at winning these series. Very slim indeed.

Amare_32
04-21-2008, 09:17 PM
I live in Atlanta - I know they have no chance at winning these series. Very slim indeed.

Slim indeed but Horford seems like he is going to hold his own in the series.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Slim indeed but Horford seems like he is going to hold his own in the series.

The front office still doesn't know what the heck to do - Horford shouldn't even be playing in atlanta, it's a waste of a heck of a player. Acie Law played 3 fucking minutes another player to waste and Bibby got totally manhandled and went 2-10. That's a problem. They drafted Law because they desperately needed a PG and then landed Bibby so I can understand he's supposed to be the starter but come on Bibby had Rondo's kids last night. Give him an opportunity.

Amare_32
04-21-2008, 09:31 PM
The front office still doesn't know what the heck to do - Horford shouldn't even be playing in atlanta, it's a waste of a heck of a player. Acie Law played 3 fucking minutes another player to waste and Bibby got totally manhandled and went 2-10. That's a problem. They drafted Law because they desperately needed a PG and then landed Bibby so I can understand he's supposed to be the starter but come on Bibby had Rondo's kids last night. Give him an opportunity.

Is there any truth to the rumor Woodson is on his way out after the series is over?

SpurOutofTownFan
04-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Is there any truth to the rumor Woodson is on his way out after the series is over?

I honestly don't know but it would be a bad decision in my opinion. It's not his fault the whole thing is messed up - he was actually able to put them in the playoffs this year but just happened to meet Boston. I would leave him there and trade off some of that young talent for some proven veteran that can play with johnson, al and bibby and who is looking for a run deep into the postseason. They need somebody other than zaza. The good thing about the team is that they are loaded with young talent and have the luxury of at least 2 quality trades under their sleeves. They need a great proven PF or Center. Look at what happened to NO... they put some pieces together from different teams and they are now geared to win it all.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-21-2008, 09:47 PM
and let me tell you something else to prove the FO fucks up things a bit. Before Rasheed went to Detroit, he was actually acquired by the hawks but he was an outcast. I think he played 10 minutes one game, drank a cup of coffee and was shipped out right away. Few months later he wins a ring with the pistons.

Cry Havoc
04-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Name one Laker fan who thinks our team can beat the Celtics?

Without a healthy Bynum and Ariza we have no shot. Just like the Spurs have no shot unless everyone on their team finds the fountain of youth. Lord knows they won't have much in the tank if every series they play goes the distance.

40 points
15 rebounds
3 blocks
5 assists
1-1 from 3.

There's your fucking fountain of youth, you regular-season toting douchenozzle. What the fuck kind of joke are you to use the first 82 (nearly) pointless games as a gauge for what would happen in the playoffs? The Nuggets and Cavs have owned the Spurs the past two seasons, how many rings do they have?

Just like a typical fan. Regular season is all you care about. Do you still jerk off to that 81 point performance that won them a championship of NOTHING?

SpurOutofTownFan
04-21-2008, 10:06 PM
It's a mute point as i said. last year the spurs were old as they could be people said and won it all. That means nothing, the big three are still in their primes - problem is most teams are so afraid of them they come up with all kind of excuses. And they are rightfully so as you are supposed to beat the champions to become one.

TampaDude
04-21-2008, 10:07 PM
40 points
15 rebounds
3 blocks
5 assists
1-1 from 3.

There's your fucking fountain of youth, you regular-season toting douchenozzle. What the fuck kind of joke are you to use the first 82 (nearly) pointless games as a gauge for what would happen in the playoffs? The Nuggets and Cavs have owned the Spurs the past two seasons, how many rings do they have?

Just like a typical fan. Regular season is all you care about. Do you still jerk off to that 81 point performance that won them a championship of NOTHING?

WERD... :flag:

DazedAndConfused
04-21-2008, 10:08 PM
You dumbshit, the Spurs are the OLDEST team in the league. I don't care how good Duncan is, he can't do it all by his lonesome.

Between Manu's Groin, Barry's calf, Finley's age, Horry's knees, Parker's ankle.........there is a huge possibility that key players are banged up or not as fresh as they need to be to take on a team like BOS. The Spurs have arguably the hardest path to the Finals.....Suns in the 1st round, NOH/DAL in the 2nd round, LAL in the WCF, and then BOS in the Finals. All of these series could potentially go 7 games, and no matter how motivated the Spurs are I can easily see their team being too worn down if they make it to the Finals.

Tippecanoe
04-21-2008, 10:09 PM
It's a mute point as i said.

dont wanna sound like a dick, but its "moot point"

sorry, it was really bothering me :lol

TampaDude
04-21-2008, 10:13 PM
You dumbshit, the Spurs are the OLDEST team in the league. I don't care how good Duncan is, he can't do it all by his lonesome.

Between Manu's Groin, Barry's calf, Finley's age, Horry's knees, Parker's ankle.........there is a huge possibility that key players are banged up or not as fresh as they need to be to take on a team like BOS. The Spurs have arguably the hardest path to the Finals.....Suns in the 1st round, NOH/DAL in the 2nd round, LAL in the WCF, and then BOS in the Finals. All of these series could potentially go 7 games, and no matter how motivated the Spurs are I can easily see their team being too worn down if they make it to the Finals.

...or not...

Cry Havoc
04-21-2008, 10:19 PM

I haven't said it was going to be Spurs-Celts. I haven't said ANYTHING about what's going to happen past round one. And what the fuck kind of moron uses speculation as a basis for what the outcome of the playoffs are going to be? Oh, the Spurs MIGHT get hurt. The Spurs MIGHT have a couple of players banged up. It's the fucking playoffs, and since when has a team arrived to the finals in perfect health? My guess is never.

For the record:

Allen - 32 years old
Pierce - Over 30 years old.
KG - About to turn 32.

Well I guess we'll be seeing the Wizards in the Finals, since they're so young and the Celtics are obviously going to get injured due to old age. Thanks for clarifying that.

I guess it's a good thing he doesn't play one-on-five then. After Saturday's game I was starting to think he might be able to get that done. Luckily for Spurs fans, he's got a couple of decent players around him.

DazedAndConfused
04-21-2008, 10:24 PM
If I were a Spurs fan I'd be more worried about getting out of the 1st round. A 2pt double OT win that required Tim Duncan hitting a buzzer-beater 3pt shot on your home floor.....not exactly a dominating win by any means.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-21-2008, 10:33 PM
If I were a Spurs fan I'd be more worried about getting out of the 1st round. A 2pt double OT win that required Tim Duncan hitting a buzzer-beater 3pt shot on your home floor.....not exactly a dominating win by any means.

isnt a question of dominating but rather getting through and win a ring. It's a "moot" point. again, thinking the spurs are going to win or lose games by miracle shots is ridiculous. the perfect path to glory doesn't exist, you are going to face obstacles and have to be resilient enough to get over them. that's how championships work. game by game - what happened last weekend isnt' in any way a snapshot of what the series will be.

Amare_32
04-21-2008, 10:37 PM
isnt a question of dominating but rather getting through and win a ring. It's a "moot" point. again, thinking the spurs are going to win or lose games by miracle shots is ridiculous. the perfect path to glory doesn't exist, you are going to face obstacles and have to be resilient enough to get over them. that's how championships work. game by game - what happened last weekend isnt' in any way a snapshot of what the series will be.

Case in point the 06 Heat were not that dominant in thier championship run. Hell with the exception of Game 4 were they blew out the Mavs they won Games3,5,6 by a combined 6 points.

DazedAndConfused
04-21-2008, 10:48 PM
I see a lot of similarities between this year's Spurs and the 2004 Lakers. By the time the Lakers made it to the Finals they were spent. Bruised, battered, and just completely not ready to take on a much fresher and younger Piston team.

The scary thing for the Spurs is their path will be one of the hardest in recent history should they make it to the Finals. Suns in the 1st round (6-7 games), Hornets/Mavs in the 2nd round (6-7 games), Lakers in the WCF (6-7 games).........only to face a likely BOS opponent in the Finals. Seeing as how they are the oldest team in the league I don't see them beating BOS if the above happens, which is why Pop is going to unorthodox methods like hack-a-shaq in the 2nd quarter. He knows his team needs to finish out each round as quickly as possible for the Spurs to have any chance at repeating.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-21-2008, 11:06 PM
I see a lot of similarities between this year's Spurs and the 2004 Lakers. By the time the Lakers made it to the Finals they were spent. Bruised, battered, and just completely not ready to take on a much fresher and younger Piston team.

The scary thing for the Spurs is their path will be one of the hardest in recent history should they make it to the Finals. Suns in the 1st round (6-7 games), Hornets/Mavs in the 2nd round (6-7 games), Lakers in the WCF (6-7 games).........only to face a likely BOS opponent in the Finals. Seeing as how they are the oldest team in the league I don't see them beating BOS if the above happens, which is why Pop is going to unorthodox methods like hack-a-shaq in the 2nd quarter. He knows his team needs to finish out each round as quickly as possible for the Spurs to have any chance at repeating.

I would think any coach in the league would want the same to happen.

I give you this path could be the toughest but that's better - more glory to the team.

DazedAndConfused
04-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Better? Please take your head out of your ass. This is the worst possible draw for the Spurs, and if Pop could trade places with the Lakers in terms of playoff positioning he'd do it in a heartbeat.

TampaDude
04-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Better? Please take your head out of your ass. This is the worst possible draw for the Spurs, and if Pop could trade places with the Lakers in terms of playoff positioning he'd do it in a heartbeat.

Bookmarked for after the Spurs 5th NBA Title in June 2008...

SpurOutofTownFan
04-21-2008, 11:38 PM

:sleep

I have no clue about what Pop has in his mind.

Cry Havoc
04-21-2008, 11:59 PM

Yes. Spurs fans are the presumptuous ones. That's why you don't even list Utah as a possibility of beating the Lakers. If you think Bynum coming off injury or Gasol has a PRAYER of containing Boozer, I'm going to laugh when they dust you off in 6. But no, really, let's hear more homerism out of you. Please.

DazedAndConfused
04-22-2008, 12:14 AM
Odom guards Boozer, not Gasol. He did a very good job on him last game, his length and quickness help him to stay in front of Boozer and bother his shots. Fisher knows Williams inside and out since they used to be teammates, and he does an acceptable of containing him. Outside of these two there really isn't anyone else the Lakers need to worry about.

On the flipside, they really cannot stop any facet of our offense. No answer for Kobe and no answer for Gasol. They lack size in the interior and will struggle to keep us off the boards and out of the paint. We're 3-1 against them for a very good reason. In short, the Jazz don't matchup with us very well at all.

Did I mention we will have HCA and are one of the only teams to beat them on the road this season?

21_Blessings
04-22-2008, 12:16 AM
But how bout the Spurs? I know the league is just salivating of the thought of a Lakers vs Celtics NBA Finals but would that really be a great series? The Lakers are a very good young team but with the exception of Kobe and Fisher they have really young and inexperienced players and lack that team defense that always wins championships.

You are one dumb motherfucker.

Try getting out of the first round before you start spouting delusional bullshit like this.

Cry Havoc
04-22-2008, 12:22 AM
Odom guards Boozer, not Gasol. He did a very good job on him last game, his length and quickness help him to stay in front of Boozer and bother his shots. Fisher knows Williams inside and out since they used to be teammates, and he does an acceptable of containing him. Outside of these two there really isn't anyone else the Lakers need to worry about.

On the flipside, they really cannot stop any facet of our offense. No answer for Kobe and no answer for Gasol. They lack size in the interior and will struggle to keep us off the boards and out of the paint. We're 3-1 against them for a very good reason. In short, the Jazz don't matchup with us very well at all.

Did I mention we will have HCA and are one of the only teams to beat them on the road this season?

The taste of that regular season must be nice to you. Too bad it doesn't mean shit now.

Jeez, I just realized how much like a Suns fan you sound. It's kind of scary, really. Next thing I know you're going to be talking about how much ratings matter.

DazedAndConfused
04-22-2008, 12:36 AM
You know you're right, the regular season is absolutely no indicator of how teams will perform against each other in the playoffs.

You know what you sound like? A complete fucking idiot. Good luck getting past the 1st round.

MaNu4Tres
04-22-2008, 02:00 AM
No one can predict the future. Celtics are the clear favorites to take the East. As people say they have the best defense stat wise in the NBA. But lets remember they play eastern conference teasm 3-4 times a year. Where as teams in the West play eachother 3-4 times a year. West > EAST by faaar. So that helps your statistical categories if your the Celtics. In the West on the other hand. Lakers Spurs Suns are the clear favorites. Its going to be a battle in the Spurs Suns series and it will be a battle in the WCF. Only time will tell. I will say this, whoever comes out of the west the celtics wont be head and shoulders better. It will be a dog fight.

Cry Havoc
04-22-2008, 02:54 AM
You know you're right, the regular season is absolutely no indicator of how teams will perform against each other in the playoffs.

You know what you sound like? A complete fucking idiot. Good luck getting past the 1st round.

You're the one unconditionally putting your team in the conference finals after ONE game into the playoffs, and yet I'm the idiot. Hilarious.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Don't bother with this guy really. I realized I don't have to do this anymore.

Cry Havoc
04-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Don't bother with this guy really. I realized I don't have to do this anymore.

I think it's humorous to point out the incredible gaps in his logic-slash-hypocrisy, is all.

DazedAndConfused
04-22-2008, 09:56 AM
You're the one unconditionally putting your team in the conference finals after ONE game into the playoffs, and yet I'm the idiot. Hilarious.

I expect LAL to beat DEN in the 1st round. I don't see UTAH as much of a threat since they simply don't matchup well with us, and they won't have HCA which puts them at a further disadvantage. In short, we couldn't have asked for a better draw to get to the WCF.

Cry Havoc
04-22-2008, 10:58 AM
I expect LAL to beat DEN in the 1st round. I don't see UTAH as much of a threat since they simply don't matchup well with us, and they won't have HCA which puts them at a further disadvantage. In short, we couldn't have asked for a better draw to get to the WCF.

I guess they don't have to play the games then. Thanks for saving us all the effort of watching.

Deuces88
04-24-2008, 12:12 AM
There are a few points I want to address:

1. Regular season has no impact on Playoff action. Many of you have said that but it seems some of the fanboys here haven't realized it. First off, I doubt Spurs even care about being number 1 or even number 2 seed. They know even before the season starts that they will be in the playoffs. Duncan does his usual 20-10 in the season but steps it up in the Playoffs as he does every year. I actually think the Celtics try their hardest in the season and they get a nice little best record mark and home court advantage but that does not intimidate anyone. Just ask the Warriors when they were trouncing the Mavs. last year.

2. You have the match-ups a little screwed. Celtics have good team chemistry but individually, the top 3 are anything to cum about. Garnett had years and years to try to do something with the T-Wolves and there have been times where he has some good help, but he has not brought them far. Ray Allen is primarily a scorer and nothing much else. Being a good scorer doesn't mean much in basketball. The Nuggets are high on the list of PPG, but they are a struggling team. Pierce is the same as Allen. A scorer, who hasn't really done anything with his team until now.

Now, don't get me wrong. All three are good players, but none of them stack up to Tim Duncan. As we analyze this further, take into consideration what Duncan has done for the Spurs. Since Duncan has some in the NBA (and this is a fact), the Spurs have had the best winning percentage out of any team in ANY sport. This is no coincidence. Duncan knowledge and fantastic fundamental ball play makes the team better. Furthermore, the Spurs before Duncan did not really stand out, but after Duncan came, there has not been one season where the Spurs have won under 50 games (Lockout season doesn't count). Unlike Allen and Pierce, Duncan isn't only a scorer. He's a big man scorer, who is a great passer and a great defender. Unlike Garnett, Duncan has been VERY consistent throughout his whole career.

There is also another thing that stats won't show. Duncan has the mark that makes him stand out as one of the greatest ever. He's comparable to Jordan. Why? He is able to adjust his game. Game 1 vs the Suns proved that. We all know Duncan is now 3-point shooter but he made the 3 because he HAD to. It wasn't "Oh, I can miss and it's alright," it was "if I don't make this or if I make only a 2, we lose. Period." He realizes what he needs to do when it counts and even if it's not in his comfort zone, he'll do it. Jordan has done the same thing along with a select few other historic players. Being consistent, an overall improvement to your team, and being able to play outside your comfort zone when it counts is the sign of a top-notch player.

3. Actual match-ups:
Bowen vs Ray Allen - This is simple. Bowen is going to give Allen a major headache throughout the whole game. Allen isn't going to get many comfortable shots as Bowen is going to pester him all day. Since Allen is primarily a scorer, if he doesn't get going early, he's not going to be of much use later on.

Parker vs Rondo - Really, Parker is going to blow past this guy all day. Parker improves each year and once he gets past his guy, he has a great ability of getting to the basket even against a zone defense. He has way more experience in this area than Rondo. So even if Rondo gets past Parker, he still has to get through a tough defensive team. Duncan isn't going to allow him any easy lay-ups.

Ginobli vs Pierce - This seems simple enough. They'll score on each other constantly. Pierce cannot stop Ginobli (I don't think anyone on Celtics can) and Ginobli probably won't be able to get a handle on Pierce

Duncan vs Garnett - Again, they will probably score on each other, but what will matter more in this series is how each of these big men affect their team. Duncan is a better defensive player (don't care if Garnett wins Defense Player of the Year) and Duncan's scoring is more reliable because of Duncan's shot selection. Also, as I said earlier, Duncan is more consistent and is able to play out of his comfort zone. 2 more edges Duncan has is experience and humility. The way experience helps is obvious, but humility is a thing we need to look at closely. You can reject Duncan or even dunk on him. Will he care? No. He continues to play his fundamental game. Why would one care if they are rejected when he and his team just outplayed you? Garnett doesn't have the humility Duncan has because Garnett is very emotional and will let that emotion affect his gameplay. That's one of the main factors that affects Garnett's consistency.

4. Popovich is 1000x better (as a coach) than Doc Rivers.

DazedAndConfused
04-24-2008, 12:23 AM
There are a few points I want to address:

1. Regular season has no impact on Playoff action. Many of you have said that but it seems some of the fanboys here haven't realized it. First off, I doubt Spurs even care about being number 1 or even number 2 seed. They know even before the season starts that they will be in the playoffs. Duncan does his usual 20-10 in the season but steps it up in the Playoffs as he does every year. I actually think the Celtics try their hardest in the season and they get a nice little best record mark and home court advantage but that does not intimidate anyone. Just ask the Warriors when they were trouncing the Mavs. last year.

2. You have the match-ups a little screwed. Celtics have good team chemistry but individually, the top 3 are anything to cum about. Garnett had years and years to try to do something with the T-Wolves and there have been times where he has some good help, but he has not brought them far. Ray Allen is primarily a scorer and nothing much else. Being a good scorer doesn't mean much in basketball. The Nuggets are high on the list of PPG, but they are a struggling team. Pierce is the same as Allen. A scorer, who hasn't really done anything with his team until now.

Now, don't get me wrong. All three are good players, but none of them stack up to Tim Duncan. As we analyze this further, take into consideration what Duncan has done for the Spurs. Since Duncan has some in the NBA (and this is a fact), the Spurs have had the best winning percentage out of any team in ANY sport. This is no coincidence. Duncan knowledge and fantastic fundamental ball play makes the team better. Furthermore, the Spurs before Duncan did not really stand out, but after Duncan came, there has not been one season where the Spurs have won under 50 games (Lockout season doesn't count). Unlike Allen and Pierce, Duncan isn't only a scorer. He's a big man scorer, who is a great passer and a great defender. Unlike Garnett, Duncan has been VERY consistent throughout his whole career.

There is also another thing that stats won't show. Duncan has the mark that makes him stand out as one of the greatest ever. He's comparable to Jordan. Why? He is able to adjust his game. Game 1 vs the Suns proved that. We all know Duncan is now 3-point shooter but he made the 3 because he HAD to. It wasn't "Oh, I can miss and it's alright," it was "if I don't make this or if I make only a 2, we lose. Period." He realizes what he needs to do when it counts and even if it's not in his comfort zone, he'll do it. Jordan has done the same thing along with a select few other historic players. Being consistent, an overall improvement to your team, and being able to play outside your comfort zone when it counts is the sign of a top-notch player.

3. Actual match-ups:
Bowen vs Ray Allen - This is simple. Bowen is going to give Allen a major headache throughout the whole game. Allen isn't going to get many comfortable shots as Bowen is going to pester him all day. Since Allen is primarily a scorer, if he doesn't get going early, he's not going to be of much use later on.

Parker vs Rondo - Really, Parker is going to blow past this guy all day. Parker improves each year and once he gets past his guy, he has a great ability of getting to the basket even against a zone defense. He has way more experience in this area than Rondo. So even if Rondo gets past Parker, he still has to get through a tough defensive team. Duncan isn't going to allow him any easy lay-ups.

Ginobli vs Pierce - This seems simple enough. They'll score on each other constantly. Pierce cannot stop Ginobli (I don't think anyone on Celtics can) and Ginobli probably won't be able to get a handle on Pierce

Duncan vs Garnett - Again, they will probably score on each other, but what will matter more in this series is how each of these big men affect their team. Duncan is a better defensive player (don't care if Garnett wins Defense Player of the Year) and Duncan's scoring is more reliable because of Duncan's shot selection. Also, as I said earlier, Duncan is more consistent and is able to play out of his comfort zone. 2 more edges Duncan has is experience and humility. The way experience helps is obvious, but humility is a thing we need to look at closely. You can reject Duncan or even dunk on him. Will he care? No. He continues to play his fundamental game. Why would one care if they are rejected when he and his team just outplayed you? Garnett doesn't have the humility Duncan has because Garnett is very emotional and will let that emotion affect his gameplay. That's one of the main factors that affects Garnett's consistency.

4. Popovich is 1000x better (as a coach) than Doc Rivers.

No, no, no, no, and no.

Deuces88
04-24-2008, 01:25 AM
No, no, no, no, and no.

Typical fanboy reply.

BonnerDynasty
04-24-2008, 01:41 AM
Who gives a shit about the Celtics.

Suns, Hornets, Lakers.

DazedAndConfused
04-24-2008, 01:45 AM
^Ok idiot. Time to shut you up.

Pierce and Allen are completely different players. Ray Allen is a pure spot-up/catch-and-shoot player. He can't drive, penetrate, create his own shot, or do any of the things Pierce does well. Pierce can knock down the occasional three, but his strength lies in his ability to get to the rim and draw contact. He is also very good at creating his own shot, I think of Pierce as Kobe-lite in many ways.

Garnett has been a rock solid near 20-10 player his entire damn career. He's a lock for the HOF. He's fucking consistent and now that he doesn't have to be the man in the playoffs none of his prior failures will matter one bit.

Rajon Rondo is one of the best defensive point guards in the league. Let me repeat that, one of the BEST defensive point guards in the league. He can stay in front of Parker and really make him work for his points. He ain't no Steve Nash on defense.

Garnett is a slightly better defender than Duncan. Did you not notice he just won DPOY? With Perkins manning the C spot he is free to roam the paint and effectively shutdown any penetration.

Pop is a better coach than Doc Rivers, but he is not 1000x better. And with all the collective experience on the Celtics, they can pretty much coach themselves. It won't be a factor.

Deuces88
04-24-2008, 06:08 AM

Pierce and Allen are completely different players. Ray Allen is a pure spot-up/catch-and-shoot player. He can't drive, penetrate, create his own shot, or do any of the things Pierce does well. Pierce can knock down the occasional three, but his strength lies in his ability to get to the rim and draw contact. He is also very good at creating his own shot, I think of Pierce as Kobe-lite in many ways.

You just basically repeated what I said. They are SCORERS. =\

Garnett has been a rock solid near 20-10 player his entire damn career. He's a lock for the HOF. He's fucking consistent and now that he doesn't have to be the man in the playoffs none of his prior failures will matter one bit.

When talking of consistency, I was talking about game-to-game, not over the long period of the season. He's definitely not as consistent as Duncan, who has been doing 20-10 ever since he came in the NBA.

Rajon Rondo is one of the best defensive point guards in the league. Let me repeat that, one of the BEST defensive point guards in the league. He can stay in front of Parker and really make him work for his points. He ain't no Steve Nash on defense.

This just sounds so much like a fanboy-type of response.

Garnett is a slightly better defender than Duncan. Did you not notice he just won DPOY? With Perkins manning the C spot he is free to roam the paint and effectively shutdown any penetration.

Defensive Player of the Year doesn't mean anything anymore. The type of thinking there wasn't that he was THE best defender. They basically looked at Celtics, notice that they are a great defensive team with the best record, then just picked the best player on the team.

If you look at stats and take notice of Duncan's stats, he is better than Duncan in everything except assists. Furthermore, you fail to take in the fact that Duncan's post-season play is greatly increased so expect to see more and more blocks (more than Garnett is going to get) throughout the playoffs. Duncan is the better defender. The Defensive Player title means nothing.

Pop is a better coach than Doc Rivers, but he is not 1000x better. And with all the collective experience on the Celtics, they can pretty much coach themselves. It won't be a factor.

Coach themselves? Are you dumb? Do you know what it takes to be a coach? You have to recognize situations. There are times where Spurs will be up by double-digits but if there is a lapse in defense, Popovich calls a time-out. There are times where there is a last play for a quarter, Popovich makes a substitution for a defensive line-up. Popovich employs certain strategies at certain times. THAT'S GOOD coaching. I haven't seen Doc Rivers do that and that's not the type of coaching players can do because you'd need to be watching the game from a third-party perspective.

KidCongo
04-24-2008, 08:49 AM

Pierce and Allen are completely different players. Ray Allen is a pure spot-up/catch-and-shoot player. He can't drive, penetrate, create his own shot, or do any of the things Pierce does well.

Ray can create his own shot and drive.

21_Blessings
04-26-2008, 11:28 PM
This thread is sucks. Atlanta owns the Celtics.

Lakers > NBA