PDA

View Full Version : D'Antoni: "We're the better team"

DarrinS
04-21-2008, 01:16 PM
:nope

Suns focus on inside defense

by Paul Coro - Apr. 20, 2008 08:18 PM
The Arizona Republic

SAN ANTONIO - Those Game 1 overtime and scream-inducing 3-point shots made by San Antonio's Tim Duncan and Michael Finley likely are embedded into Suns fans' minds like splinters under their fingernails.

It is the great irony of an already fascinating first-round NBA playoff series that the lasting pain of Game 1 was felt on the perimeter, a place the Spurs rarely had to settle for scores.

San Antonio scored 72 points in the paint in Game 1. That is 12 more than Phoenix had given up in any game this season. Though it took two overtimes for the Spurs to get there, the concentration of chances near the rim was much higher after halftime (50 of 77 points came in the paint) than it was in Phoenix's opponents' season highs, when Golden State scored 120 or New Orleans had 132 in a double-overtime game.
But where there could be worry, there actually is confidence. The Suns chalk up the layup line to the rare occasion of having all three of their big men (Shaquille O'Neal, Amaré Stoudemire and Boris Diaw) in foul trouble, compromising their ability to help on crafty penetrators Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.

"We're the better team," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "We've got to prove it, though.

"They dodged a bullet. We didn't catch a bullet. They just dodged one. We've got to give them another one on Tuesday."

Game 2 is here Tuesday. Until then, the Suns won't spend time on defending the Duncan 3-pointer, although switching on a Finley late-game 3-pointer is sure to come up.

What they will focus on is getting back to the sort of defense they played against the Spurs for 4 1/2 games this season. Through halftime of Saturday's game, San Antonio had shot 40.1 percent against Phoenix this season, and Ginobili had gone 20 for 71 from the field. After halftime, the Spurs shot 58.6 percent, with Ginobili scoring on seven drives and Parker getting six baskets in the paint, including four uncontested layups.

"Tony Parker has made a living at the rim," D'Antoni said. "No one's figured it out yet. There are going to be times in the game he gets to the rim, and there are going to be times that Ginobili gets to the rim. That's life.

"There are other times we are going to have to handle it on the offensive end and be efficient, and then we'll try to do a better job on them."

D'Antoni dismissed the foul issues, saying the Suns should have won in spite of them. Phoenix kept a grip on San Antonio in the first half despite O'Neal leaving 3:47 into the game because of his second foul, when Duncan went by Stoudemire and O'Neal stepped in front of him but in the restricted zone.

Diaw replaced O'Neal and was brilliant offensively, and he cut off angles with help defense. That is what Phoenix hopes to get back to Tuesday, rather than the defense that General Manager Steve Kerr said "played on its heels" because of foul trouble.

"They knew we were in foul trouble," guard Raja Bell said. "They were putting their heads down and going to the basket. It slowed us down a bit. They shot a higher percentage, and we weren't getting in transition as much. Our rim was pretty soft (Saturday), for no other reason than we couldn't afford for those guys to foul out."

Nobody is shocked that the Spurs are trying to draw O'Neal or Stoudemire away from the rim with high screens.

"Everybody has to step up and stay in front of their man," O'Neal said. "Usually, I'll be there at the end, but there ain't much you can do with five fouls. . . . If I don't have any fouls, I'll be there at the rim every time."

O'Neal and Stoudemire tied for second in the NBA for most fouls per game. Having O'Neal and Diaw with three and Stoudemire with two by halftime complicated rotations and weakened the help.

"We need to cover up the paint," Kerr said. "We need to do a better job of keeping people on the floor and keeping the fouls down so we can be aggressive and cut off angles.

"(Stoudemire) has got to be smarter once he picks up a foul or two. He's got to know when he can penetrate and when he should rely on the jumper. He's such a talented guy and can do so many things that sometimes there are almost too many options. He's got to keep the game simple."

Xylus
04-21-2008, 01:16 PM
The Suns are the better team in most facets of the game. The Spurs are the smarter team, though, and execute better in the clutch, generally.

ShoogarBear
04-21-2008, 01:18 PM
2005, 2007 Forum.

DDS4
04-21-2008, 01:19 PM
:blah:blah:blah:blah:blah

DarrinS
04-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Didn't Carson Palmer say "we're the better team" after getting shpankafied by the Steelers? It's just a dumb thing to say after a defeat.

lebomb
04-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks coach for the BULLETIN BOARD MATERIAL!!!!!!!! :rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:flag::rollin:flag: :rollin

phyzik
04-21-2008, 01:21 PM
The Suns are the better team in most facets of the game. The Spurs are the smarter team, though, and execute better in the clutch, generally.

Id have to disagree. Suns can argue that they may have better individual talent, but they are not the better "team".

Xylus
04-21-2008, 01:21 PM
A coach that believes his team is better?

Well slap me in the dick and call me Biff! Say it ain't so!

Darrin, you douchebox, stop making mountains out of molehills.

nkdlunch
04-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Suns are better team at whining. that's about it.

lebomb
04-21-2008, 01:23 PM

.........they just dont say it to reporters and make it bulletin board material.............D' Antonio is a dumbass :lmao

Xylus
D' Antonio is a dumbass :lmao

No argument here.

ShoogarBear
I wasn't kidding about 2007 Forum. Didn't he say exactly the same thing last year?

Bob Lanier
D'Antoni shouldn't be doubling down when a pink slip is looming in his future.

He can still weasel into next season if he gets his ego out of the way.

DarrinS
04-21-2008, 01:24 PM

Well slap me in the dick and call me Biff! Say it ain't so!

Darrin, you douchebox, stop making mountains out of molehills.

D'Antoni is the douchebox. I have NEVER heard Pop say something like that.

Kori Ellis
04-21-2008, 01:25 PM
He should say his team is the better team. It would be ridiculous to say otherwise to the press (or privately).

"Spurs are the better team. We are lucky to be here. If we win this series, it's going to have to be a fluke." :wtf No coach would say that.

honestfool84
04-21-2008, 01:25 PM
2005, 2007 Forum.

:lol

ancestron
04-21-2008, 01:26 PM
So much denial its making me sick. The Suns really have a problem saying "they played well and they beat us" don't they?

Its always something--the refs, a lucky shot, they stole one, we let it get away, we had them but, ...etc etc etc.

man up and take your lumps. You LOST. Try not to let it happen again in game 2, end of story.

Supreme_Being
04-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Suns should STFU. WE CAN'T HELP BUT WIN!!!!!

ShoogarBear
04-21-2008, 01:28 PM
He should say his team is the better team. It would be ridiculous to say otherwise to the press (or privately).

"Spurs are the better team. We are lucky to be here. If we win this series, it's going to have to be a fluke." :wtf No coach would say that.

I agree no coach should ever say "we're not the better team", but has Pop ever said, "we are the better team"?

DarrinS
04-21-2008, 01:28 PM

Ever notice that the Suns never actually lose games. Either they get "jobbed" by refs, or the other team gets "lucky".

K-State Spur
04-21-2008, 01:29 PM

but it does come across as silly to say that in regards to a team that has owned you throughout your coaching career. (not that he should say that the spurs are better this year either.)

ancestron
The Spurs don't need to say it. Talk is cheap.

1Parker1

:lol Exactly. In 2005, and even 2007 Suns had the better all around team no doubt. But it's those other facets of the game which usually help give the Spurs an edge over them...hopefully it continues this year.

Kori Ellis
04-21-2008, 01:30 PM
I agree no coach should ever say "we're not the better team", but has Pop ever said, "we are the better team"?

No, but we aren't hearing the interview. So, I don't know what D'Antoni was asked to lead to his response.

Budkin
04-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Defense wins championships and the Suns still don't play defense. Sorry, it's just the way it is. Blame D'Antoni and Amare.

BigVee
04-21-2008, 01:31 PM
It's funny how he calls himself out. If they are the better team, then.....why do they keep losing to the Spurs? Could it be the coach?

BillsCarnage
04-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Suns are better team at whining. that's about it.

Would you prefer to be the pot or kettle??

You fookers were bitchin about the refs hours before the game even started.

DarrinS
04-21-2008, 01:33 PM
D'Antoni: "We're the better team. We've got to prove it, though."

Translation: "Our team has better shooters and better overall talent. If it weren't for my complete incompetence has a head coach, we could prove we are the better team. Pop is my daddy. He played the hack-o-shaq and I flinched. Well, I better get my summer gear ready :fishing"

lebomb
04-21-2008, 01:34 PM
D'Antoni: "We're the better team. We've got to prove it, though."

Translation: "Our team has better shooters and better overall talent. If it weren't for my complete incompetence has a head coach, we could prove we are the better team. Pop is my daddy. He played the hack-o-shaq and I flinched. Well, I better get my summer gear ready :fishing"

Bwhahahahaha.............

lebomb
04-21-2008, 01:35 PM
or.................

D'Anphonyo: "we are the better team, but the Spurs just somehow manage to PWNT us every time"

florige
04-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Ever notice that the Suns never actually lose games. Either they get "jobbed" by refs, or the other team gets "lucky".

That being said, there will be some front page material stuff here if we actually do pull this thing out. I can only imagine....:rolleyes

td4mvp21
04-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Would you prefer to be the pot or kettle??

You fookers were bitchin about the refs hours before the game even started.

I didn't know we were members of the Spurs team :wtf

td4mvp21
04-21-2008, 01:38 PM
D'Antoni said this last year too, by the way.

Xylus
04-21-2008, 01:39 PM
I didn't know we were members of the Spurs team :wtf

But if you're going to complain about something that someone else is doing, when you're doing the same exact goshdamn thing, it's hypocritical, whether you're a fan, a player, a coach, whatever.

Bulwark
04-21-2008, 01:40 PM

Good point. But I have yet to hear anything come out of the Spurs camp (this time or ever) stating that they are the better team (talent wise or other).

This whole we're a better team is a broken record from last year and I think it is a mantra that D'Antoni has been telling his players to build them up somehow.

BiZNicK
04-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Deep down they all fear the Spurs....that's why they're doing all this talking to hide it

Spurs in 5

Dave McNulla
04-21-2008, 01:43 PM

"Spurs are the better team. We are lucky to be here. If we win this series, it's going to have to be a fluke." :wtf No coach would say that.he could choose to not address that.

"spurs are a good team, we're a good team. we'll be lucky to get past them, and vice versa."

T Park
04-21-2008, 01:45 PM
No problem with what D'Antoni said. Pop wouldn't say it, but hes paranoid and gracious to the extreme to not say it, but I think he believes it. D'Antoni didn't do much wrong other than take Shaq out during hack-a-shaq, nad resting Stoudamire too early at the second quarter when they had the foot on the Spurs's throats.

san antonio spurs
04-21-2008, 01:47 PM

WTF?
have you seen a good coach say his team is better??? they give compliments to the other team instead. You can think your team is better, tell your players they are better, but you don't say it in the press. Not only it is common courtesy but also won't be bulletin board material

td4mvp21
04-21-2008, 01:48 PM
But if you're going to complain about something that someone else is doing, when you're doing the same exact goshdamn thing, it's hypocritical, whether you're a fan, a player, a coach, whatever.

Yes. That doesn't change the fact that Suns team whines more than the Spurs team.

da_suns_fan

Because Duncan's three pointer shouldn't be considered lucky. :rolleyes

da_suns_fan
Yes. That doesn't change the fact that Suns team whines more than the Spurs team.

Clueless forum.

BillsCarnage
04-21-2008, 01:49 PM

Spurs fans hypocrites??

:lmao:lmao:lmao Surely you jest!

td4mvp21
04-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Clueless forum.

Is that where you were until you decided to come back to Spurstalk and talk about ratings?

remingtonbo2001
04-21-2008, 01:51 PM

No, but it would be halarious if he did say that.

sandman
04-21-2008, 01:54 PM

I have no doubt that you guys have a Hollinger-type stat that opponent job/rob/fluke/luck normalizes your actual regular season record at 82-0

Kori Ellis
04-21-2008, 01:56 PM
WTF?
have you seen a good coach say his team is better??? they give compliments to the other team instead. You can think your team is better, tell your players they are better, but you don't say it in the press. Not only it is common courtesy but also won't be bulletin board material

I don't know what he was asked. The question could have been, "Are your guys down on themselves after the loss or do they still believe they are the better team?"

florige
04-21-2008, 01:57 PM

See it's already starting and this is only one game....:lmao

DarrinS
04-21-2008, 01:57 PM
I have no doubt that you guys have a Hollinger-type stat that opponent job/rob/fluke/luck normalizes your actual regular season record at 82-0

+1

JPB
04-21-2008, 01:58 PM
More fuel for spurs motivation.

If I were Pop, I'd put D'Antoni's quote in the locker room.

ShoogarBear
04-21-2008, 01:58 PM
I don't know what he was asked. The question could have been, "Are your guys down on themselves after the loss or do they still believe they are the better team?"

And what would CIA have said in response to this question? :fishing

Kori Ellis
04-21-2008, 02:01 PM
And what would CIA have said in response to this question? :fishing

"Our guys are professionals; they don't get down after one loss. They know this is going to be a long series and as long as we stick to our game, we'll be right there at the end."

san antonio spurs
04-21-2008, 02:02 PM

There are no questions I could think of that would make pop, jerry sloan, hubie brown or any other good coach of any sports say to the press that they are the better team. Most confident coaches in their teams' abilities never run their mouth.
I responded to your post because you made it sound like it was a normal quote from a coach.
Unless you are T.O., Shaq, Chad jonhson or any other clueless player, I don't recall classy and confident players saying that, let alone a coach

T Park
04-21-2008, 02:03 PM
More fuel for spurs motivation.

If I were Pop, I'd put D'Antoni's quote in the locker room.

Should D'antoni said

"wow we suck, were no match and I can't believe we took it to double OT!!!"

Come on people.

Kori Ellis
04-21-2008, 02:03 PM
There are no questions I could think of that would make pop, jerry sloan, hubie brown or any other good coach of any sports say to the press that they are the better team. Most confident coaches in their teams' abilities never run their mouth.
I responded to your post because you made it sound like it was a normal quote from a coach.
Unless you are T.O., Shaq, Chad jonhson or any other clueless player, I don't recall classy and confident players saying that, let alone a coach

He said they were the better team before the series started. I don't see why it's an uproar now. He's not the same personality as Pop or Sloan, obviously. But this isn't "bulletin board" material or anything.

T Park
04-21-2008, 02:04 PM
D'Antoni is an idiot, but I don't think hes "short bus give the other team bulletin board material" idiot.

ShoogarBear
04-21-2008, 02:04 PM
"Our guys are professionals; they don't get down after one loss. They know this is going to be a long series and as long as we stick to our game, we'll be right there at the end."

Exactly. :lol

JPB
04-21-2008, 02:05 PM

In fact, that can be a tactic.

Pop is using it at times, just to put the other team in the favorite skin and push them to overconfidence.

we all know winning is as much a matter of mental than skills.

Thinking you have to win because you're better is the most dangerous thing in sport.

sandman
04-21-2008, 02:08 PM

You have a future in the Spurs front office, or the Bush administration...

Bulwark
04-21-2008, 02:09 PM
He said they were the better team before the series started. I don't see why it's an uproar now. He's not the same personality as Pop or Sloan, obviously. But this isn't "bulletin board" material or anything.

Can we just chalk it up to different pesonalities and coaching styles or the Sun's sense of entitlement that D'Antoni has been preaching?

However, like you said, much to do about nothing.

san antonio spurs
04-21-2008, 02:09 PM

it's not a matter of when he said it, it's a matter of what he said.
But oh well, if you think what he said is normal from a coach...

Kori Ellis
04-21-2008, 02:12 PM
it's not a matter of when he said it, it's a matter of what he said.
But oh well, if you think what he said is normal from a coach...

I didn't say it was normal for any coach. I said I could see several coaches (not Pop) saying it depending on what question was asked. And I said, I don't know what the uproar is now. He said it in two other interviews before the series started.

Argiebabe
04-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Is it just me or the entire Phoenix team likes to make statements in this "bitter bitch" mode?
I mean... if you think you are better PROVE IT already, back your words up with actions or SHUT UP!

san antonio spurs
04-21-2008, 02:14 PM
I didn't say it was normal for any coach. I said I could see several coaches (not Pop) saying it depending on what question was asked. And I said, I don't know what the uproar is now. He said it in two other interviews before the series started.

We agree it's not normal from a coach and the only ones I might see saying it are D'Antoni and Phil Jackson

boutons_
04-21-2008, 02:20 PM
"We're the better team,"

Just f'n amazing.

Prepare to get those excessively prominent teeth kicked out Tue night.

He's so f'n stupid, down 0-1, still on the road, to bait his opponent so brazenly.

Think it, say it to your team, but don't quote it for the press.

gawd almighty damn, d'Antoni's freakin-out nutz.

2-0 is assured.

There Will Be Blood.

Jeremy
04-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Here's what happened last year:

D'Antoni: 'We have more talent than they do'
But Suns coach still facing 0-1 deficit against Spurs with Game 2 Tuesday

updated 7:32 p.m. MT, Mon., May. 7, 2007
PHOENIX - The Phoenix Suns have better players. San Antonio has a better team, at least for now.

That was the conclusion of Suns coach Mike D’Antoni in the wake of the Spurs’ bloody 111-106 victory in Game 1 of the Western Conference semifinals.

“I hate to say this and I hope it sounds the right way. I think we have more talent than they do,” D’Antoni said after the Suns practiced on Monday. “I think that we’re individually better. Collectively, they’re better right now.”

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/18542197/

lebomb
04-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Here's what happened last year:

Yeah, but he didnt say it this time......he said "WERE THE BETTER TEAM"

:lmao

ancestron
04-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Well you know what they say, those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

san antonio spurs
04-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Yeah, but he didnt say it this time......he said "WERE THE BETTER TEAM"

:lol I think it's worse and more provocative.
Phil jackson saying this kinda stuff is pure strategy but D'Antoni saying it is pure ignorance

Elraptor
04-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Ah he's so annoying.

Just can't take the heat of the spurs beating them AGAIN!

Dirk Nowitzki
04-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Only one team has had the right, since the post Lakers Shaq trade, to call themselves better than the San Antonio Spurs and that my friends are the Dallas Mavericks!:clap:clap:clap:elephant:elephant

Princess Pimp
04-21-2008, 02:42 PM
2005, 2007 Forum.

2008 forum idiot!

quit living in the past

Princess Pimp
04-21-2008, 02:43 PM
And yes the Suns are the better team.

No Lucky shots for Game 2

Brutalis
04-21-2008, 02:44 PM
You won't see us blow a 16p lead that's for sure.

Spot us game 3 in Phoenix it's only fair.

lebomb
04-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Only one team has had the right, since the post Lakers Shaq trade, to call themselves better than the San Antonio Spurs and that my friends are the Dallas Mavericks!:clap:clap:clap:elephant:elephant

Get past the 1st round before ya shit talk. You have your hands full with N.O. my man. :flag:

Oh yeah,

This remind you of anything??? :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt:

lebomb
04-21-2008, 02:46 PM
And yes the Suns are the better team.

No Lucky shots for Game 2

Personally I dont even think the 2008 Suns are the Suns best team. I fully believe they were better with the Matrix.

Dirk Nowitzki
04-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Get past the 1st round before ya shit talk. You have your hands full with N.O. my man. :flag:

Oh yeah,

This remind you of anything??? :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt:

Well the Mavs DID eliminate the Spurs on their own court in 2006. Past or not, they DID do that. Since Shaq bolted LA, the Mavs have been the only team to send the spurs on vacation. That is hardly a diss. It's more of a fact and also a diss to the Suns saying that shit.

ancestron
04-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Hey Louis, I was wondering when you were gonna show up and splatter your verbal feces on this board today.

703 Spurz
04-21-2008, 02:52 PM

Better how? No championships in their existance?

boutons_
04-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Let me predict how he will put it to the press after the Spurs take the series:

"The Spurs won the series, but the Suns are the better team, more talent"

MannyIsGod
04-21-2008, 02:56 PM

Except Don Nelson!

lebomb
04-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Well the Mavs DID eliminate the Spurs on their own court in 2006. ..............and that is all Mavs fans have to hang their hats on. The Mavs lost many a time before that to the Spurs. Also, who won the LAST game between the Spurs and Mavericks.

After getting their asses handed to them by the Heat up 3-0 and also after getting bitched slapped by an 8th seed out of the playoffs.......The Mavs or their fans have no right to even talk to the grown folk on Spurstalk. Go to timeout right now little one. :lmao

DarrinS
04-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Can we just chalk it up to different pesonalities and coaching styles or the Sun's sense of entitlement that D'Antoni has been preaching?

You've hit the nail on the head.

That entire organization, from the top executives, down to the coaches, the players, and the entire fanbase, have a sense of entitlement.

If not for the evil David Stern, the referees, and the dirty, nut-kicking, head-butting, hip-checking, meanie weenie bullies in silver and black, they'd have their DESERVED Larry O'brien(s).

:fight

cherylsteele
04-21-2008, 03:02 PM
And the Spurs are better coached.

Princess Pimp
04-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Well the Mavs DID eliminate the Spurs on their own court in 2006. Past or not, they DID do that. Since Shaq bolted LA, the Mavs have been the only team to send the spurs on vacation. That is hardly a diss. It's more of a fact and also a diss to the Suns saying that shit. And it will happen again! This time by the Suns

DarrinS
04-21-2008, 03:07 PM
And it will happen again! This time by the Suns

How are your Rockets holding up?

Dirk Nowitzki
04-21-2008, 03:07 PM
..............and that is all Mavs fans have to hang their hats on. The Mavs lost many a time before that to the Spurs. Also, who won the LAST game between the Spurs and Mavericks.

After getting their asses handed to them by the Heat up 3-0 and also after getting bitched slapped by an 8th seed out of the playoffs.......The Mavs or their fans have no right to even talk to the grown folk on Spurstalk. Go to timeout right now little one. :lmao

The regular season meetings werent exactly blowouts excluding the November matchup. Yes we lost in the Finals and in round 1 last year. Yes you have 4 titles. That still doesnt change the fact that the Mavs are still the only team to have eliminated the Spurs in a 7 game series since shaq bolted LA. In terms of having any right to talk trash to the Spurs on actually eliminating them, the Mavs are the only team to really have that right over the last few years. :tongue

Xylus
04-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Better how? No championships in their existance?

Better shooting, better passing, equal if not better rebounding, better bench, higher point differential, slightly more athletic from 1-8, slightly younger, better matchups.

The Spurs are better defensively, but the gap isn't that wide, considering that the Suns have done a great job defensively against the Spurs this year. The Spurs are strengthened by the best coach in the NBA, and the smartest, most unstoppable power forward in the league. This is why they execute better in the clutch.

If the Suns had a better coach, we'd have won last year, and we'd win this year, too.

Princess Pimp
04-21-2008, 03:10 PM
How are your Rockets holding up? They will be like the Spurs after tonights and tomorrows game tied 1-1

Princess Pimp
04-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Better shooting, better passing, equal if not better rebounding, better bench, higher point differential, slightly more athletic from 1-8, slightly younger, better matchups.

The Spurs are better defensively, but the gap isn't that wide, considering that the Suns have done a great job defensively against the Spurs this year. The Spurs are strengthened by the best coach in the NBA, and the smartest, most unstoppable power forward in the league. This is why they execute better in the clutch.

If the Suns had a better coach, we'd have won last year, and well win this year, too. Fixed

Xylus
04-21-2008, 03:13 PM
If you're going to fix my posts, Princess, don't make me look grammatically retarded.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-21-2008, 03:13 PM
If the Suns had a better coach, we'd have won last year, and we'd win this year, too.

Quite possibly. There's no doubt that if they lose this series this article should be stapled to his pink slip. If you have the better team and you can't win with it, what does that make you, coach?

lebomb
04-21-2008, 03:16 PM

WRONGO..............you call Nash, Grant OVERtheHILL, and Shaq athletic???? LMAO......the only two that are athletic are Amare and Barbosa.....Diaw is like Oberto. :rolleyes

hater
04-21-2008, 03:22 PM
D'antoni also stated that he beleives in the tooth fairy and santa

manufor3
04-21-2008, 03:29 PM

dont forget defense

Xylus
04-21-2008, 03:30 PM
dont forget defense

I didn't.

lebomb
04-21-2008, 03:33 PM
The suns are dayum sure better at schmack talkin.

td4mvp21
04-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Xylus' assessment was pretty good I think. I don't think age and point differential in the regular season make a difference like he said (the Suns are up there too and the Spurs didn't give the same kind of effort as other teams during the regular season). I would say the Suns defense is slightly above average. It isn't elite like the Spurs'/Detroit's/Boston's, but it doesn't suck like it used to. There is a gap though.

GrandeDavid
04-21-2008, 03:36 PM

I think D'Antoni needs to exude confidence but I'm not sure I'd outright state that my team is better. I'd try taking a humbler approach, especially against a team I'd succombed to two or three times previously in the playoffs. I would altogether avoid talking outside of my team's locker room when it comes to motivational tactics.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-21-2008, 03:38 PM
If D'Antoni actually said that he needs to shut up and play. He's lost 3 times already to the "worse" team in his view. Strictly on a team perspective, there's no question the Spurs are the better team - the Suns have really good talent in their roster but they have always lacked the other part.

On the other hand, he could have just probably said something else in the order or nothing at all.

easjer
04-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Quite possibly. There's no doubt that if they lose this series this article should be stapled to his pink slip. If you have the better team and you can't win with it, what does that make you, coach?

+1

Extra Stout
04-21-2008, 04:46 PM
I made some statements recently that I need to clarify for you. When I said that we are the better team, I was sincere. I meant it. We are the better team. Our offense is more fluid. We have a brilliant point guard who makes impossible passes routine. We have veteran leadership out the kazoo. We have a young stud nobody can stop. With Shaq, we suddenly are versatile and can play any style you want, not just run 'n' gun. We have great camaraderie. Really, if not for the fact that our head coach is a complete douchebag who makes stupid decisions that cost his team close games, and who inculcates his players with a sense of entitlement that leaves them lacking in mental toughness and losing their poise when it counts most, the Spurs' reign already would be a mere historical topic, and the league would be chasing us.

But hey, I fit in perfectly in this emasculated city of shallow wanna-bes, so I've lasted four years ruining my team's chances at winning a title. If Steve Nash weren't such a Canuckistani little moral pacifist, he'd have put a hit out on me by now.

lefty
04-21-2008, 04:56 PM
D'Antoni trying to get in our heads Phil Jackson style ?

This guy has no credibility

He's just making a fool of himself :lmao

DePastino
04-21-2008, 05:03 PM
You've hit the nail on the head.

That entire organization, from the top executives, down to the coaches, the players, and the entire fanbase, have a sense of entitlement.

If not for the evil David Stern, the referees, and the dirty, nut-kicking, head-butting, hip-checking, meanie weenie bullies in silver and black, they'd have their DESERVED Larry O'brien(s).

:fight

And if not for a tanked season and some luck with Lotto balls, the Spurs wouldn't have any.

ClingingMars
04-21-2008, 05:03 PM
How do we know we're gonna win this series? Because Suns coaches, players, and fans are already preparing their asterisk speech.

- Mars

Xylus
04-21-2008, 05:05 PM
And if not for a tanked season and some luck with Lotto balls, the Spurs wouldn't have any.

Indeed.

lefty
04-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Phoenix Suns are an insult to the NBA

Playoffs are areally what separate men from little boys.

And Suns are acting and bitching like little girls

Extra Stout
04-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Indeed.
And if my uncle had a vagina, he'd be a Suns fan.

lefty
04-21-2008, 05:24 PM
And if my uncle had a vagina, he'd be a Suns fan.

tmtcsc
04-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Do you remember in 2003 when Amare was asked about being down 3-0 ? It was something along the lines of "what do you have to do to win this series ?".

His response was along the lines of, "I'm not gonna lie, I'd just like to get 1 and not be swept."

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Damn I hope the Spurs are reading this

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-21-2008, 06:13 PM
I like it. Everyone on the Suns is in denial. All the players think they only lost game 1 because of Amare and Shaq unfairly being tagged with foul trouble, and now the 'Stache is insisting he's got the better team.

Keep it going guys, gonna make that house of cards fall even harder.

CarefreeAZ
04-21-2008, 06:16 PM

Funny you said that as there was a soundbite from a reporter talking with Nash on the radio today. He similarly stated, "We are professionals and should be mentally tough to handle these situations. If not, we wouldn't be here."

Nash should be up on the podium instead of the coach

ClingingMars
04-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Funny you said that as there was a soundbite from a reporter talking with Nash on the radio today. He similarly stated, "We are professionals and should be mentally tough to handle these situations. If not, we wouldn't be here."

Nash should be up on the podium instead of the coach

i don't think many people here have many problems with Nash, besides that asterisk BS.

- Mars

T Park
04-21-2008, 06:29 PM
I don't have a problem with nash, and before last year I said I liked him.

The game 6 press conference with "we had the series taken from us" bs is what bent me on him.

pooh
04-21-2008, 06:31 PM
They won't miss the bullet on tuesday

PlayoffEx-static
04-21-2008, 06:47 PM

They're probably deeper and have some better players, but have never been a better team in the current rivalry. Too much drama and ego.

PlayoffEx-static
04-21-2008, 06:49 PM
And if my uncle was a vagina, he'd be a Suns fan.
FIFY

PlayoffEx-static
04-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Collectively, they’re better right now.
OK, Mike Dan Tony. You do know what a team IS, don't you? It isn't individual players, it's the whole, which is sometimes greater than the sum of the parts.

The only time I felt that the Spurs talent was on par with the tops in the league was 2003. We had Tim at his absolute prime, a young Tony and young Manu, DRob in his twilight and Steven Jackson. Every other year, I've felt we were maybe in the top 5.

BonnerDynasty
04-21-2008, 07:00 PM

Nelson did. And won.

It's cool to do when you know you are actually the better team lol. I love that these guys keep talking. I hope the Spurs can pull this one out.

O-Factor
04-21-2008, 07:17 PM
The Suns are the better team in most facets of the game.

I couldn't disagree more.

Suns will never understand that talk is just talk, nothing more. You can't believe you are better, you have to actually prove it, which the Suns have never done against the Spurs in their recent history.

Great way to motivate us D'Antoni.

FilSpursFan
04-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Spurs are just lucky. Hope they still get luckier to get to THE FINALS...

curtismedellin
04-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Re: D'Antoni: "We're the better team"

Didn't Wade Phillips say the same thing about the Cowboys when they lost to the Giants???

I love the Cowboys but that is about the most idiotic thing to say after a loss. You just got your ass kicked stupid!

Guess Phillips and D'Antoni come from the same school; University of Never Winning the Big One

Jdspur20
04-21-2008, 08:56 PM
it doesnt matter what he says, DAntoni still got owned by a bottle of water 3 years ago.

Findog
04-21-2008, 10:23 PM

The Spurs are a fake team that hit some lucky fluke shots.* They tried to shoot some shots on the Suns. Suns otherwise would just be beating a team they're supposed to beat. No surprises there.

* Actually, not that far off-base:

http://www.spursdynasty.com/uploaded_images/08playoffsDuncanthree-745987.jpg

ManuAddicted
04-21-2008, 10:59 PM
:nope

Suns focus on inside defense

by Paul Coro - Apr. 20, 2008 08:18 PM
The Arizona Republic

SAN ANTONIO - Those Game 1 overtime and scream-inducing 3-point shots made by San Antonio's Tim Duncan and Michael Finley likely are embedded into Suns fans' minds like splinters under their fingernails.

It is the great irony of an already fascinating first-round NBA playoff series that the lasting pain of Game 1 was felt on the perimeter, a place the Spurs rarely had to settle for scores.

San Antonio scored 72 points in the paint in Game 1. That is 12 more than Phoenix had given up in any game this season. Though it took two overtimes for the Spurs to get there, the concentration of chances near the rim was much higher after halftime (50 of 77 points came in the paint) than it was in Phoenix's opponents' season highs, when Golden State scored 120 or New Orleans had 132 in a double-overtime game.
But where there could be worry, there actually is confidence. The Suns chalk up the layup line to the rare occasion of having all three of their big men (Shaquille O'Neal, Amaré Stoudemire and Boris Diaw) in foul trouble, compromising their ability to help on crafty penetrators Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.

"We're the better team," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "We've got to prove it, though.

"They dodged a bullet. We didn't catch a bullet. They just dodged one. We've got to give them another one on Tuesday."

Game 2 is here Tuesday. Until then, the Suns won't spend time on defending the Duncan 3-pointer, although switching on a Finley late-game 3-pointer is sure to come up.

What they will focus on is getting back to the sort of defense they played against the Spurs for 4 1/2 games this season. Through halftime of Saturday's game, San Antonio had shot 40.1 percent against Phoenix this season, and Ginobili had gone 20 for 71 from the field. After halftime, the Spurs shot 58.6 percent, with Ginobili scoring on seven drives and Parker getting six baskets in the paint, including four uncontested layups.

"Tony Parker has made a living at the rim," D'Antoni said. "No one's figured it out yet. There are going to be times in the game he gets to the rim, and there are going to be times that Ginobili gets to the rim. That's life.

"There are other times we are going to have to handle it on the offensive end and be efficient, and then we'll try to do a better job on them."

D'Antoni dismissed the foul issues, saying the Suns should have won in spite of them. Phoenix kept a grip on San Antonio in the first half despite O'Neal leaving 3:47 into the game because of his second foul, when Duncan went by Stoudemire and O'Neal stepped in front of him but in the restricted zone.

Diaw replaced O'Neal and was brilliant offensively, and he cut off angles with help defense. That is what Phoenix hopes to get back to Tuesday, rather than the defense that General Manager Steve Kerr said "played on its heels" because of foul trouble.

"They knew we were in foul trouble," guard Raja Bell said. "They were putting their heads down and going to the basket. It slowed us down a bit. They shot a higher percentage, and we weren't getting in transition as much. Our rim was pretty soft (Saturday), for no other reason than we couldn't afford for those guys to foul out."

Nobody is shocked that the Spurs are trying to draw O'Neal or Stoudemire away from the rim with high screens.

"Everybody has to step up and stay in front of their man," O'Neal said. "Usually, I'll be there at the end, but there ain't much you can do with five fouls. . . . If I don't have any fouls, I'll be there at the rim every time."

O'Neal and Stoudemire tied for second in the NBA for most fouls per game. Having O'Neal and Diaw with three and Stoudemire with two by halftime complicated rotations and weakened the help.

"We need to cover up the paint," Kerr said. "We need to do a better job of keeping people on the floor and keeping the fouls down so we can be aggressive and cut off angles.

"(Stoudemire) has got to be smarter once he picks up a foul or two. He's got to know when he can penetrate and when he should rely on the jumper. He's such a talented guy and can do so many things that sometimes there are almost too many options. He's got to keep the game simple."

Sorry, but the only thing I can think after reading that is...

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

GSH
04-21-2008, 11:43 PM
I think some of us should chip in and have a "We're the Better Team" trophy made, and send it to D'Antoni.

UV Ray
04-21-2008, 11:48 PM
If you're going to fix my posts, Princess, don't make me look grammatically retarded.

Kawhitstorm
12-20-2016, 11:26 PM

Ron Swanson
12-20-2016, 11:27 PM

phxspurfan
12-21-2016, 02:32 AM
8 year old bump