PDA

View Full Version : Sonics' Allen right remedy denver still wants him

ducks
01-19-2005, 11:10 AM
mark kiszla
Sonics' Allen right remedy
By Mark Kiszla
Denver Post Sports Writer

Seattle - It is harder than dodging raindrops. Stand under a shot by Seattle guard Ray Allen, and you're going to get wet.

The Nuggets discovered the miracle of moving the basketball unselfishly in a stunning 116-110 overtime victory Tuesday against the Sonics. See what can happen when a team sets aside the egos and hits the open jumpers?

"It was all about us playing team basketball," Nuggets coach Michael Cooper said.

It was about time for the Nuggets, who have frequently played as if they do not particularly care for each other.

Allen, smart and generous on the court, is the answer to everything that has gone wrong with Denver.

Even more remarkable: He's available.

On a team nobody in the NBA predicted would own a record of 27-10, Allen is cited as a leading MVP candidate by Sonics coach Nate McMillan.

But ask Allen to describe himself and the 29-year-old Seattle guard unexpectedly says: trade bait.

"I've always had the mentality if I got traded, it doesn't mean I cannot play basketball anymore," Allen told me. "'I can go play someplace else. I can learn to call somewhere else home."

In the final year of a contract enriching him with a $14.6 million salary, Allen has been unable to strike a deal for an extension with the Sonics, hindered by an aging arena short on the modern cash-generating amenities.

"Say this is my last year in Seattle. I just have to enjoy it. This team doesn't owe me anything," Allen said, casually stretching on the carpeted floor of the locker room he calls home. For now.

With the league trade deadline of Feb. 24 approaching, Allen anticipates waking every morning with rumors hanging over his head like the unrelenting fog that shrouds the Pacific Northwest in winter.

"Trade rumors are always out there," Allen said. "And I'm pretty sure in these next coming weeks, I'm going to be in the soup pretty heavy."

The art of the jump shot is not lost on Allen, averaging 24 points per game for Seattle. It is an open secret the Nuggets covet him. Denver general manager Kiki Vandeweghe attempted to trade for the 6-foot-5 guard last summer, but was unable to cut a deal.

There is nothing stopping Vandeweghe from trying to rekindle negotiations. Let the Sonics pick one Denver veteran from a list of center Marcus Camby, forward Kenyon Martin or guard Andre Miller. Throw in a young player such as Nikoloz Tskitishvili to balance the salary-cap books. See if Seattle bites. What do the Nuggets have to lose, except another 22 games?

While he has no fear of changing uniforms, Allen is too mature and savvy to make himself miserable for money.

The one sure way the Nuggets could sour him on the idea of playing in Denver is to hire George Karl as the next coach.

Allen has been there, done that and had the headache of taking instruction from a coach who can get insanely jealous when a star player dominates the headlines.

"We didn't have the best of relationships when I left Milwaukee. I thought (Karl) was the main reason for me being traded," said Allen, who escaped the wrath of Karl in 2003, when the Bucks traded him to Seattle. "We just didn't get along. He wasn't happy with what I did or what I brought to the table. It's like he wanted me to be somebody I wasn't."

What's not to like about Allen? He won a gold medal at the 2000 Olympics. He has been invited to the All-Star Game four times. He is one of the most intelligent, well-spoken players in the NBA, which maybe fostered insecurity in Karl.

"I felt like a lot of times, he was in competition with me for whatever reason. So it made for a strenuous relationship," said Allen, who respected Karl's basketball knowledge, but felt as if the coach was always trying to make himself look good at the expense of his players. "A lot of times, we got in battles, me and him."

What ails the Nuggets is not going to be remedied by the X's and O's of any coach.

Denver needs a scorer, a leader and a Ray of hope. Allen could be the answer.

Staff writer Mark Kiszla can be reached at 303-820-5438 or [email protected] .

Useruser666
01-19-2005, 11:20 AM
They should trade Melo and a big contract.