PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Expect Fight From Suns

duncan228
04-21-2008, 07:47 PM
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/04/22/sports/BKN-Suns-Spurs.php

Spurs expect fight from Suns
Elizabeth White
The Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO: After many of his teammates had left the court on Monday afternoon, Tim Duncan was still there, headphones on, taking jumper after jumper.

They weren't from beyond the 3-point line.

"I don't believe there's going to be a whole lot of 3-point shooting," Duncan laughed. "I'm not going to change my game a whole lot. I'm happy that that one went down but I'm not going to rest anything on that."

Duncan's first 3-pointer of the season that forced a second overtime was just one of the things that fell into place for the Spurs in their Game 1 win Saturday over the Phoenix Suns on Saturday.

It took two overtimes and a couple of other big shots — plus foul trouble for the Suns — for them to get the 117-115 win in the opener of the best-of-seven series.

"It's just that. We won in double overtime on our home court, so we're not too confident," said Duncan, who finished with 40 points and 15 rebounds. "We got over the top by just a little bit and we know they're one heck of a team.

"I've got to imagine they felt like they gave the game away," Duncan said.

The Spurs have no illusions they've gotten into the Suns' heads.

"Of course they're not shaken," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "They lost one game and anybody could have won the game. So it's not that big a deal in that sense. ... We were fortunate in the first game. That's gone and now it's Game 2."

That will be Tuesday night in San Antonio.

Even if the Spurs got some breaks before Manu Ginobili's driving layup with 1.8 seconds left gave them the 58-minute victory, they also played a big part in their own success. After trailing by as many as 16 points in the first half and shooting 38 percent, they shot better than 58 percent after halftime, hit five 3s and outrebounded the Suns 25-18.

"We had a lot of mistakes, a lot of mistakes that if we continue to make they will hurt us," said Spurs guard Michael Finley, who hit a 3 with 15 seconds left in regulation to force the first overtime. "So we want to limit those mistakes, execute a little bit better on the offensive end and if we do that, we give ourselves another good chance to win that ballgame."

The Suns will be tweaking their plan with a focus on closing out the game. And they'll go back to Arizona happy if they can take away the Spurs' homecourt advantage.

"I think it's imperative for them to win. You've got to keep your homecourt in tact," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said, before reconsidering. "But knowing these two teams, it's not imperative for either one of them actually because everybody's going to bounce back. Every game is an adventure in itself."

Saturday's will be hard to top, but in Game 2 fans might finally see more of the inside matchup between Duncan and the Suns' Shaquille O'Neal, who spent a lot of time on the bench in Game 1 because of foul trouble.

"I expect them to make a lot of adjustments," Duncan said. "That's what a series is all about."

Both teams said their injuries are improved since Saturday and that their energy should be back up with two days' rest after the lengthy opening game.

"After 51 minutes I need about four days off but it's great that we're not just playing on one day's rest," Duncan said.

The Spurs' Tony Parker, who was knocked hard in the head in Game 1, said he was feeling fine Monday.

D'Antoni said Grant Hill, who has suffered from a groin injury, should be 100 percent for Tuesday. And he said Steve Nash, who had the flu, is fully recovered.

jmard5
04-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Duncan practicing his jump shots even after the game? Who wouldn't want the type of work ethic for their superstars?

Wow.

BonnerDynasty
04-21-2008, 07:53 PM
These days are going by so slow.

duncan228
04-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Duncan practicing his jump shots even after the game? Who wouldn't want the type of work ethic for their superstars?

Wow.

Duncan's work ethic is intense. He's the first one in and the last one out of the gym most days. It's been that way his whole career.

Elraptor
04-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Yea i can't wait until game 2!

td4mvp21
04-21-2008, 08:00 PM
The Spurs need to come out sharp and jump on the Suns.

ShoogarBear
04-21-2008, 08:00 PM
I thought Bowen was the first one in and the last one out?

Somebody's been lying to us! :madrun

duncan228
04-21-2008, 08:01 PM
I thought Bowen was the first one in and the last one out?

Somebody's been lying to us! :madrun

:lol

Depends on what you're reading. I can find stuff saying Manu is too. :)

spurschick
04-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Spurs expect fight from Suns
Elizabeth White
The Associated Press

Did she write this headline herself? Wow. That was a stretch.

spursrocksocks
04-21-2008, 08:04 PM
yeah I always thought Bowen was first in last out

ShoogarBear
04-21-2008, 08:06 PM
yeah I always thought Bowen was first in last out

Well, we know it wasn't Beno.

sprrs
04-21-2008, 08:10 PM
"I'm not going to change my game a whole lot. I'm happy that that one went down but I'm not going to rest anything on that."

Timmy pulling quotes from Shaq's book?

BlackSwordsMan
04-21-2008, 08:21 PM
http://i26.tinypic.com/1z7m76.gif

jmard5
04-21-2008, 08:23 PM
"It is good for us to be here; I will make us three dwellings, one for you (Tim), one for you (Bruce), and one for me — and let us build championships." - Manu Ginobili

*Taken from the Book of Manu explaining why Tim Duncan, Bruce Bowen and Manu Ginobili are the first to arrive and last to leave the court.

ShoogarBear
04-21-2008, 08:26 PM
"It is good for us to be here; I will make us three dwellings, one for you (Tim), one for you (Bowen), and one for me — and let us build championships". - Manu Ginobili.

*Taken from the Book of Manu explaining why Tim Duncan, Bruce Bowen and Manu Ginobili are the first to arrive and last to leave the court.

:lol

mrcoon29
04-21-2008, 08:31 PM

Wow.

It wasn't after the game..it was probably after practice.

GrandeDavid
04-21-2008, 08:39 PM

Wow.

I seriously doubt he was practicing jumpers after the game. I think he was probably outta there and home sipping a couple of cold ones while chilling with the family on Saturday evening.

He was shooting jumpers on Monday. But I do hear that Tim has a great work ethic.

jmard5
04-21-2008, 08:41 PM
I seriously doubt he was practicing jumpers after the game. I think he was probably outta there and home sipping a couple of cold ones while chilling with the family on Saturday evening.

He was shooting jumpers on Monday. But I do hear that Tim has a great work ethic.

Yeah. My bad. It was after practice. It was a Monday afternoon afterall.

Shaolin-Style
04-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Yeah waiting for Tuesday to come has been hell.

I imagine waiting until Friday is gonna be twice as worse.

milkyway21
04-21-2008, 08:46 PM
http://i26.tinypic.com/1z7m76.gif
anybody can post the (zoomed) face of Shaq there? :lmao

san antonio spurs
04-21-2008, 08:46 PM
It wasn't after the game..it was probably after practice.

They misread. It was monday afternoon. TODAY:lol

DarrinS
04-21-2008, 09:19 PM
I expect a fight, too.

But if Suns go down 0-2, let there be no mistake, this thing is OVER.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-21-2008, 09:19 PM
$20 says TD is practicing jumpers to draw Shaq out of the paint in game 2

DarrinS
04-21-2008, 09:20 PM

Oh shit!

http://uthpstr.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/buckwheat.jpeg

timaios
04-21-2008, 09:55 PM

Shaq is useless in that play, he is in the middle of nowhere !!!
What was he thinking ?

:lmao

bigfundamental21
04-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Oh shit!

http://uthpstr.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/buckwheat.jpeg

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

milkyway21
04-21-2008, 11:56 PM
Oh shit!

http://uthpstr.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/buckwheat.jpeg:lmao
Hey, I did not request the image of that crybaby(:baby) inside Shaq's 360-lb. body okay?
I want that look badly right now. I wanna compare it to the look on Rasheed's face when Horry shot that 3 in 2005.