PDA

View Full Version : Suns Confident O'Neal Can Contain Duncan

duncan228
04-21-2008, 11:32 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042208.unsSHAQ_0422.en.3790bc0.html

Spurs: Suns confident O'Neal can contain Duncan
Mike Finger
Express-News Staff Writer

Back when the Phoenix Suns abandoned their wide-open, defense-be-danged philosophy and dug in their heels around the Big Cactus, one motive for their makeover stood above all others.

By adding Shaquille O'Neal, they presumably had a defender who had proven himself capable of slowing Tim Duncan.

There was only one minor problem with that theory.

"I never really played him a lot," O'Neal said of his old battles with Duncan, in which the Lakers and Spurs usually assigned other players to guard the opponent's star big man. "A couple minutes here, a couple minutes there."

One game into the postseason that was supposed to redefine that dynamic, little has changed. Thanks to a combination of early fouls and a renewed version of "Hack-a-Shaq," O'Neal's time against Duncan was limited to a couple minutes here, a couple minutes there in the Spurs' double-OT victory Saturday over the Suns.

And now, heading into what figures to be a pivotal Game 2 of the teams' first-round playoff series, the Suns still haven't found a definitive answer to their biggest looming question — is O'Neal really the key to getting past their longtime tormentors?

To a man, the Suns are saying they believe O'Neal can indeed make that kind of difference. They point to O'Neal's ability to guard the rim, to make Duncan work at both ends of the floor, and to provide the Suns with a sense of mental toughness.

And as Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni said Monday, the results have been encouraging.

"We've played (the Spurs) three times with Shaq," D'Antoni said, "and we felt like we won all three games."

The catch? Two of those meetings came in the regular season, and the third — Saturday's Game 1 — didn't officially go into the books as a victory.

It's difficult to determine what kind of real impact O'Neal made, because he wasn't on the floor long enough to make much of one at all.

Duncan scored 40 points Saturday, but the first 22 of those came with O'Neal on the bench with foul trouble. And even when Duncan was effective with O'Neal on the floor — the Spurs' forward scored nine points against him in the first overtime — the baskets came with the caveat that O'Neal was playing with five fouls.

That's why D'Antoni said Monday he doesn't feel like he has to double-team Duncan. Phoenix still thinks an aggressive, foul-free Shaq should be enough to keep Duncan contained.

"He doesn't seem like he gets as many (good shots) with Shaq on him," D'Antoni said.

Said Suns forward Amare Stoudemire: "Shaq is a great defender on Tim. We're confident in that. What we have to do is not get in foul trouble."

And as for the growing panic in Phoenix that trading for O'Neal might backfire?

"All it takes is one game" to turn things around, O'Neal said. "We'll be fine."

statman32
04-21-2008, 11:35 PM
And as Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni said Monday, the results have been encouraging.

"We've played (the Spurs) three times with Shaq," D'Antoni said, "and we felt like we won all three games."

:idiot

ShoogarBear
04-21-2008, 11:37 PM

Mike D'Nial's affliction is getting quite pathetic.

Strike
04-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Wow. Just when I thought D'Antoni couldn't say something dumber than he already has.

statman32
04-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Mike D'Nial's affliction is getting quite pathetic.

It really is. I have no clue wtf he is talking about. His act is so old now its not even funny. I want this fucker gone.

Xylus
04-21-2008, 11:42 PM
It really is. I have no clue wtf he is talking about. His act is so old now its not even funny. I want this fucker gone.

Rick Car Lisle! Dun Dun Dundundun. Rick Car Lisle! Dun Dun Dundundun.

DAF86
04-21-2008, 11:43 PM
I think D'antoni's losing it...

statman32
04-21-2008, 11:44 PM
Rick Car Lisle! Dun Dun Dundundun. Rick Car Lisle! Dun Dun Dundundun.

eh

I was hoping for Rudy T although he might be getting a little old.

Hell bring back Frank Johnson. jk

ShoogarBear
04-21-2008, 11:44 PM
Rick Carlisle and Steve Nash would be one of those matter/anti-matter collisions. Carlisle likes to call every offensive set.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-21-2008, 11:45 PM
:lol

it's true, those aren't very bright comments

Spurminator
04-21-2008, 11:46 PM
We... FELT... like we won...

We.......

FELT.....?

Wow.

Let's go! Let's go! Come on! Let's go! Let's go!

statman32
04-21-2008, 11:46 PM
:lol

it's true, those aren't very bright comments

Understatement of the year. :lol

ShoogarBear
04-21-2008, 11:49 PM
"We felt like we won the 2004 series against the Lakers and the 2006 series agains the Mavs, so, in reality, we actually feel like we're going for five in a row."

LakerMagic
04-21-2008, 11:51 PM
Wow. Just when I thought D'Antoni couldn't say something dumber than he already has.

He's not a bright man at all.

Shaolin-Style
04-21-2008, 11:51 PM
The only way Shaq contains Duncan is if he gets the right trio of refs so he can manhandle him after that incessant whining.

statman32
04-21-2008, 11:53 PM
The only way Shaq contains Duncan is if he gets the right trio of refs so he can manhandle him after that incessant whining.

Lets not kid ourselves. If one guy can come close to containing DUncan its Shaq. The size and length Shaq has is a problem for Duncan.

BonnerDynasty
04-21-2008, 11:53 PM
So it's gone from "I guard Duncan all the time, I know all things he will do" to "I didn't really guard him that much in the past, some minutes here, some minutes there."

lmfffaao

Quiet Strength
04-21-2008, 11:55 PM
If they felt like they won game 1 then why weren't they celebrating on the court? They looked pretty sad for a team who felt they won. Thats because they lost which makes them losers and I'm sure they felt like losers too because thats how losers feel. lol

GSH
04-22-2008, 12:37 AM
"I never really played him a lot," O'Neal said of his old battles with Duncan, in which the Lakers and Spurs usually assigned other players to guard the opponent's star big man. "A couple minutes here, a couple minutes there."

Okay, now that is seriously funny. A couple of weeks ago, after Shaq had a good game against Duncan, this is what he had to say: Added O'Neal, referring to his years of showdowns with Duncan: "If anyone knows what he's going to do with the ball, I think it's me."

Now he "never really played him a lot"? How can a guy that big be that chickenshit? You know a team (and a player) is in trouble when the excuses start flying after Game 1 of a series.

Supreme_Being
04-22-2008, 12:45 AM
How can he contain Duncan if he's sitting on the bench?

DazedAndConfused
04-22-2008, 12:45 AM
If Shaq can stay out of early foul trouble he will do a good job on Duncan. You can bet the farm on that.

bobbyjoe
04-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Okay, now that is seriously funny. A couple of weeks ago, after Shaq had a good game against Duncan, this is what he had to say: Added O'Neal, referring to his years of showdowns with Duncan: "If anyone knows what he's going to do with the ball, I think it's me."

Now he "never really played him a lot"? How can a guy that big be that chickenshit? You know a team (and a player) is in trouble when the excuses start flying after Game 1 of a series.

Is this that hard to grasp?

Shaq wasn't on Duncan a lot because he wasnt on the court a lot in Game 1 due to Foul trouble. Something like 22 of Duncan's first 40 pts came when Shaq was on the bench. Shaq is only referring to Game 1.

Shaq always plays Duncan tough and always will. Give Tim credit. He hit some very tough, well-contested shots in Game 1 from all angles. He was brilliant.

But the idea that Shaq can't defend Duncan because of 1 game (when the 2 have battled close to 100 times in the past 10 years) is asinine, especially given that what Shaq said is true: The foul trouble he had (a lot of which was self-imposed bad fouls on his part) kept him from being able to really hone in and getting extended PT on Duncan.

GSH
04-22-2008, 12:55 AM
If Shaq can stay out of early foul trouble he will do a good job on Duncan. You can bet the farm on that.

You mean if the refs come out with dark glasses and canes, don't you? Because that's the only way he is going to stay out of foul trouble.

I have to agree that if Shaq is allowed to play NFL-style, he can "do a good job" on the other players in the league. Unfortunately for Shaq, defense is played with the feet... and Shaq isn't quick enough on his to defend Tim without those nasty whistles getting blown at him.

BTW - Shaq would also be at a disadvantage if they didn't allow him to play offense with his ass.

DazedAndConfused
04-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Spurs fans seem to think they have already won the NBA championship based on a double OT 2pt win on their HOME floor.

BonnerDynasty
04-22-2008, 12:59 AM
Spurs fans seem to think they have already won the NBA championship based on a double OT 2pt win on their HOME floor.

Suns fans seem to think they will roll off 4 straight after a shitty Spurs team stole a game 1 victory after sleeping 1 3/4 quarters.

7 game series are all about adjustments and it's not like the Spurs have a good coach who has proven he can make them.

beachwood
04-22-2008, 12:59 AM
Can anyone imagine Pop saying half the stuff D'Antoni does? How do Suns fans support the guy?

I would be mortified and embarrassed if Pop ever spewed such BS.

Princess Pimp
04-22-2008, 01:00 AM

yep!

GSH
04-22-2008, 01:04 AM
yep!

At least Spurs fans know this isn't a Suns forum. What fucking rock did all of you crawl out from under? I thought the place was over-run with vermin during the regular season.

SpursFanFirst
04-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by Gregg Popovich
"We felt like we won the 2004 series against the Lakers and the 2006 series agains the Mavs, so, in reality, we actually feel like we're going for five in a row."

:tu I KNEW IT!

SAGambler
04-22-2008, 08:44 AM

And if "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts.....We'd all have a Merry Fuckin Christmas.

hater
04-22-2008, 08:46 AM
do these motherfucking bitches ever shut up?

with all the talking do they even have time to practice and strategize? :lol

ShoogarBear
04-22-2008, 09:22 AM

Laker Fan seems to think he has the title based on collusion.

Cry Havoc
04-22-2008, 09:29 AM
The catch? Two of those meetings came in the regular season, and the third — Saturday's Game 1 — didn't officially go into the books as a victory.

DazedandConfused thread.

Elraptor
04-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Well he sure couldn't last game...

Tim Duncan toyed with him :lol

Supergirl
04-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Apparently Shaq has forgotten how Duncan OWNED him in the 2003 playoffs. And while they're both older since then, Duncan has aged 10 times less than he has.

The longer this series goes on, the more I like Duncan's chances for wearing Shaq down.

peskypesky
04-22-2008, 09:41 AM

Man, is he starting to sound like Isaiah Thomas or what?

DazedAndConfused
04-22-2008, 09:42 AM
If Shaq can stay out of foul trouble Duncan will not score 40 pts again. He'll be contained to around 20 or so, which is all he needs to do to give PHX a chance to win the game.

I suspect they'll make Shaq less of a factor on offense so that he does not pick up cheap fouls.

peskypesky
04-22-2008, 09:45 AM
If Shaq can stay out of foul trouble Duncan will not score 40 pts again. He'll be contained to around 20 or so, which is all he needs to do to give PHX a chance to win the game.

Spurs won't need Duncan to score 40 if Parker, Manu and Finley do some scoring in the first half tonight. I really doubt those guys are going to be cold two games in a row.

DazedAndConfused
04-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Manu may have a big game but I doubt how effective he can be with that groin injury. You can tell his shot just does not look right at all. The Suns should just back off him and make him prove he can hit the outside shot. And don't underestimate Bell, he is a very good defender and can make life difficult for Manu.

Finley is the kind of guy that can burn you if you don't pay attention to him. So he may be the X-Factor in tonight's game. I can see him hitting some timely 3's and spreading the floor for the Spurs.

peskypesky
04-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Finley is the kind of guy that can burn you if you don't pay attention to him. So he may be the X-Factor in tonight's game. I can see him hitting some timely 3's and spreading the floor for the Spurs.

And don't forget Barry. He's getting back into game shape and he's proved he can still knock them down.

dbreiden83080
04-22-2008, 10:29 AM

Please fire this fucking clown at the end of the season Kerr.

boutons_
04-22-2008, 10:34 AM
holy f'n shit, could these screwballs be any more inflammatory?

Pop has a wide selection of Suns post-Game1 quotes to paste on the walls of Spurs dressing rooms.

Has the Suns org/PHX ville got a parade route planned, online? :lol

Whisky Dog
04-22-2008, 10:35 AM
I never knew Da Nile ran right through Phoenix.

Scola Trade
04-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Yes WE FELT like we won the game by 20 :hat :toast

Rummpd
04-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Simple - Duncan starts outside hitting that 15 foot jumper and then this battle is over as Shaq cannot stop him. Duncan also needs to mix it up taking it hard at him.

Vince
04-22-2008, 10:49 AM
All Duncan is going to feel next game is Shaq's fat ass trying so desperately to be physical with him.... in the end, Duncan will still get his 25+pts, 12+reb....

We should all be happy to witness the deterioration of Snaq....

Cry Havoc
04-22-2008, 11:01 AM
I hope we absolutely destroy the Suns in Game 2 as a result of this bulletin board material. I want to see the Spurs come out for a knockout punch and play with every bit of effort for 48 freaking minutes and SHUT. THEM. DOWN.

105 - 92 Spurs win Game 2.

DePastino
04-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Laker Fan seems to think he has the title based on collusion.

LMAO

RandomGuy
04-22-2008, 12:14 PM
I have seen the phrase "if Shaq can stay out of foul trouble" as if the Spurs don't have a strategy for getting him IN foul trouble.

Game 1 was pretty darn close, but they did shut down O'Neil for the most part.

Suck thing for the Spurs is that still leaves Nash to contend with.

I have a feeling that we won't be seeing any brooms this playoffs...

Budkin
04-22-2008, 12:23 PM
:lmao at everything about this article.

oboymeetsogirl
04-22-2008, 12:38 PM
The Suns are confident about a lot of things: that Shaq can contain Timmy without fouling (yeah... right), that they "gave" game one away (yeah, right again), and that they are the better team (then why do they keep on losing?).

But for d'Antoni, it's crucial to prop up his team's positive mental attitude. What else are you supposed to do? Being eliminated by the Spurs every year (and losing this year's first playoff game) most definitely undermines a team's confidence, and so they *have* to be constantly reminded that they are the "better" team. Otherwise, they'll just roll over and die again.

Pop, on the other hand, plays a different mental game with his team. He is constantly praising the skills of the Suns, and constantly talking about how difficult it is defending their vaunted attack. He has to say that because he knows that mentally the Spurs believe that they are actually better, but the big fear is overconfidence, which results in sloppy ballhandling, defensive lapses, and low energy (re the first half of game one). It's been said over and over again: the Spurs tend to play up to the level of their opponents. Problem being, when they do that they can get blown out when the other team goes on sustained runs.

So the Spurs need to play with the fear that if they don't respect their opponents, they'll come out short. The Suns need to play with the feeling that they really belong on the same court as the world champs.

Which, of course, gives the champs the psychological edge: it's better to be king than a pauper just wanting to be one.

BiZNicK
04-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Last time I checked, running your mouth doesn't get you a :lobt2:

Mavs<Spurs
04-22-2008, 04:02 PM
First, if we think about Shaq and Duncan, we can see the difficulties that Shaq would have guarding Tim. Shaq is too slow to guard Tim consistently well.

Second, some people say that Shaq can guard Tim, it's just that he was in foul trouble.

Exactly.

You can't guard anybody on the bench. So, if Shaq gets in foul trouble regularly, then Shaq can't guard Tim regularly.

Third, if Shaq tries to guard Tim, he will get in foul trouble. Same thing that happens with Amare.

DarrinS
04-22-2008, 04:08 PM
"Whattaya mean, I can't guard Tim? Just look at me. I'm a physical specimen."

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/man0lo/jabba-real_v.jpg

Cry Havoc
04-22-2008, 04:17 PM
You can't guard anybody on the bench.

Sure you can. That hot dog vendor, he ain't going NOWHERE.

O-Factor
04-22-2008, 04:38 PM

Really, I haven't seen anybody claim we already have 5 championships.

So shut the fuck up troll.

sanman53
04-22-2008, 05:17 PM
"You can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him."

td4mvp21
04-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Manu may have a big game but I doubt how effective he can be with that groin injury. You can tell his shot just does not look right at all. The Suns should just back off him and make him prove he can hit the outside shot. And don't underestimate Bell, he is a very good defender and can make life difficult for Manu.

You are right, Duncan will not score 40 every game, hopefully the Spurs will not need him to :lol

Ginobili's jumpshot did look a bit weird at times. I think Pop has said Manu is fine, so I'm not going to worry about Ginobili.