PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Contain Group Yawn Over Shaq's Grousing

duncan228
04-21-2008, 11:36 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042208..33c9f86.html

Spurs Notebook: Spurs contain group yawn over Shaq's grousing
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

Suns center Shaquille O'Neal's complaint that the "floppers prevailed" in Game 1 was gamesmanship.

If the referees who work tonight's Game 2 happen to hear, or read, his accusation that the Spurs flopped their way to charging calls made against the Suns, O'Neal's goal will be accomplished.

As for the Spurs? Anyone who expected they would escalate a war of words was foolish to think so.

"I don't react to players' comments, or anybody's comments," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, a politically aware individual whose civic acumen includes a healthy disdain for attacks on presidential candidates that have no relevance to real issues.

"It's not Hillary and Barack," he said of the NBA playoffs. "'So-and-so said this about you.' Let's talk about health care, not that baloney."

All-Star forward Tim Duncan's response to O'Neal?

"There is no response," he said. "People are going to make comments, and it is what it is. You've got to win four games, and then whatever you say doesn't matter."

O'Neal on Monday said he understood he had once again riled up the locals, but he doesn't mind being unpopular in his old hometown.

"That's OK," he said. "I'm not worried about that. I call it how I see it, and you guys see it like that too."

Feeling better: Spurs point guard Tony Parker said trainer Will Sevening's "magic hands" eliminated the pain in his sore neck. He arrived at Monday's practice session feeling no after-effects from banging his head in Saturday's game.

"The treatment yesterday helped a lot," he said. "I'm OK. I got a neck massage. Our trainer, with his magic hands, did a good job."

Suns forward Grant Hill, who aggravated a strained groin last week and played only 34 seconds during the two overtimes on Saturday, practiced Monday and should be in the starting lineup tonight, coach Mike D'Antoni said.

"I expect him to be 100 (percent) on Tuesday, but that's something we'll monitor," D'Antoni said. "Sometimes he starts off 100, but then in the game he gets hit or something, and he goes out of whack. We'll just have to communicate during the game."

Rejuvenation: Thirty-something players on the league's oldest team were thrilled with their down time after Game 1 went 58 minutes.

"I just laid around," said 35-year-old Michael Finley, who played 48 minutes Saturday. "Mentally and physically, I got back refreshed. I came in today focused and ready to go for the game tomorrow. As far as we're concerned, we're well rested."

Duncan, who logged almost 51 minutes, said the two days off were welcome but added: "I could have used four days off."

Even the not-so-old Spurs were happy with the time off.

"It was a long, long game," said Parker, 25. "Mentally it was tough. It was huge to get those two days, almost 21/2, because Saturday was (a) 2 o'clock (start) and tomorrow is 8:30 (p.m.). It helps a lot."

Tickets remain: Walk-up sales Saturday resulted in a sellout for Game 1, but about 750 tickets for tonight's game still were available at the close of business Monday, including some in the lower bowl, at prices from $110 to $160.

Tickets can be purchased at all Ticketmaster locations. They also can be charged by phone by calling (210) 225-TEAM. They can be charged online at ticketmaster.com, or spurs.com.

Dex
04-21-2008, 11:40 PM
"There is no response," he said. "People are going to make comments, and it is what it is. You've got to win four games, and then whatever you say doesn't matter."

God, Duncan is such a badass.

Phenomanul
04-21-2008, 11:41 PM
This whole concept eludes Suns nation...

Spurs don't whine to the media in hope that they change the whistles for the next game...

Strike
04-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Snaq can say whatever he wants. He's like school in July: No class.

duncan228
04-21-2008, 11:43 PM

:) He really is, and what I like most is how quiet he is about it. He just wins.

Princess Pimp
04-21-2008, 11:44 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042208..33c9f86.html

Tickets remain: Walk-up sales Saturday resulted in a sellout for Game 1, but about 750 tickets for tonight's game still were available at the close of business Monday, including some in the lower bowl, at prices from $110 to $160.

Tickets can be purchased at all Ticketmaster locations. They also can be charged by phone by calling (210) 225-TEAM. They can be charged online at ticketmaster.com, or spurs.com.

What a patethic cheap ass fan base, you can't even sell-out a playoff game??!!

ducks
04-21-2008, 11:47 PM
who wants to see the suns in person

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-21-2008, 11:49 PM
It's so cool how Duncan's attitude, makes the other guy look really, really stupid, without even have to resort to any smack-talk, retaliatory remark.

"That's OK," he said. "I'm not worried about that. I call it how I see it, and you guys see it like that too."

Shaq 's such a child, teeheeing to himself, thinking he's so clever - what a way to embarrass yourself. :lol

Strike
04-21-2008, 11:49 PM

Uh oh. That's it. I'm no longer a Spurs fan. Thank you Princess Skank.

Tell you what. Come back when the Suns aren't synonymous with this....

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/2787/fail2it9.jpg

Cry Havoc
04-22-2008, 12:05 AM

History denotes that our fan base shouldn't be too concerned about the Suns. Why go to a game when you know your team is going to curbstomp the series and move onto Round 2? :flag:

honestfool84
04-22-2008, 12:10 AM
i wonder if hill got a groin massage from their trainer's magic hands..

Shaolin-Style
04-22-2008, 12:11 AM

Damn, Shaq done fucked up. If the suns lose this series he truly will look like Tim's bitch from this comment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/blahman1/1205_how_reached_kids.jpg

"Look at the scoreboard. It says 1 to nothing homes."

Supreme_Being
04-22-2008, 12:50 AM
Shaq is such a dufus.

milkyway21
04-22-2008, 12:59 AM
tickets still available?

Unsold Spurs playoff tickets.
we have this same issue a year ago, right? :oops

BonnerDynasty
04-22-2008, 01:12 AM
lV3xnk3GuvI

Shaq = Apollo
Duncan = Drago

rasho8
04-22-2008, 01:17 AM
According to Ticketmaster they are sold out, But they might be holding some in reserve.

Obstructed_View
04-22-2008, 01:29 AM
tickets still available?

Unsold Spurs playoff tickets.
we have this same issue a year ago, right? :oops

That turned out pretty well, right?

Wait, this isn't the "omen" thread...

traitoravery
04-22-2008, 01:37 AM
Duncan owned Shaq with his comment.... No on to Tomm. nights ownage.

milkyway21
04-22-2008, 01:48 AM
According to Ticketmaster they are sold out, But they might be holding some in reserve.

That turned out pretty well, right?

Wait, this isn't the "omen" thread...

:D thanks for telling me...:toast:

WildcardManu
04-22-2008, 01:57 AM

Good news for me, that means I may be able to get a pair for tonight's game.

jmard5
04-22-2008, 06:25 AM
*yawn* ho-huum.

George Gervin's Afro
04-22-2008, 07:09 AM

Spurs Notebook: Spurs contain group yawn over Shaq's grousing
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

Suns center Shaquille O'Neal's complaint that the "floppers prevailed" in Game 1 was gamesmanship.

If the referees who work tonight's Game 2 happen to hear, or read, his accusation that the Spurs flopped their way to charging calls made against the Suns, O'Neal's goal will be accomplished.

As for the Spurs? Anyone who expected they would escalate a war of words was foolish to think so.

"I don't react to players' comments, or anybody's comments," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, a politically aware individual whose civic acumen includes a healthy disdain for attacks on presidential candidates that have no relevance to real issues.

"It's not Hillary and Barack," he said of the NBA playoffs. "'So-and-so said this about you.' Let's talk about health care, not that baloney."

All-Star forward Tim Duncan's response to O'Neal?

O'Neal on Monday said he understood he had once again riled up the locals, but he doesn't mind being unpopular in his old hometown.

Feeling better: Spurs point guard Tony Parker said trainer Will Sevening's "magic hands" eliminated the pain in his sore neck. He arrived at Monday's practice session feeling no after-effects from banging his head in Saturday's game.

"The treatment yesterday helped a lot," he said. "I'm OK. I got a neck massage. Our trainer, with his magic hands, did a good job."

Suns forward Grant Hill, who aggravated a strained groin last week and played only 34 seconds during the two overtimes on Saturday, practiced Monday and should be in the starting lineup tonight, coach Mike D'Antoni said.

"I expect him to be 100 (percent) on Tuesday, but that's something we'll monitor," D'Antoni said. "Sometimes he starts off 100, but then in the game he gets hit or something, and he goes out of whack. We'll just have to communicate during the game."

Rejuvenation: Thirty-something players on the league's oldest team were thrilled with their down time after Game 1 went 58 minutes.

"I just laid around," said 35-year-old Michael Finley, who played 48 minutes Saturday. "Mentally and physically, I got back refreshed. I came in today focused and ready to go for the game tomorrow. As far as we're concerned, we're well rested."

Duncan, who logged almost 51 minutes, said the two days off were welcome but added: "I could have used four days off."

Even the not-so-old Spurs were happy with the time off.

"It was a long, long game," said Parker, 25. "Mentally it was tough. It was huge to get those two days, almost 21/2, because Saturday was (a) 2 o'clock (start) and tomorrow is 8:30 (p.m.). It helps a lot."

3 words for snack and the nuns..
"move your feet".. then you won't look like a stiff out on the court..

boutons_
04-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Why are people responding to, AND QUOTING, this princess bitch?

It took about one of her comments for me to put her on ignore, but now all you jerks are quoting her shit in your comments.

Tim has it just right, and supremely, essentially simple. 4 Ws and move on.

George Gervin's Afro
04-22-2008, 07:18 AM
D'Antoni was asked how imperative a Game 2 win is.

"It's imperative for them to win," he said of the Spurs. "You've got to keep your home-court intact."

Suns' optimism seemed to stem from D'Antoni.

"We've felt like we've won all three games and we've looked good all three games," he said. "We want to tweak it a little bit. We think we can get better in certain areas. Other than that, there's not going to be a massive run for the exit and, 'Oh, my God, what's happening?' We're pretty confident."

Duncan could sense it from the Spurs' practice facility.

"They got some kind of moral victory out of that," Duncan said of Phoenix going two overtimes on the road.

That Timmy..he's funny..:rollin

SAGambler
04-22-2008, 07:33 AM
I would love for someone to put fat Shaq on his ass.........And then have the refs call a "flopping" foul on him. That would be hilarious.

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-22-2008, 07:51 AM
WOW @ this game not selling out

hater
04-22-2008, 09:13 AM
I agree that it's pathetic that this game is not sold out yet :lmao

BonnerDynasty
04-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Why sit in the last row of the arena, when I can watch it in comfort on my couch with family/friends??

The Diamondbacks stadium during the playoffs last year was about as empty as a China Buffet in Miami 2 mins after Shaq blew through.

remingtonbo2001
04-22-2008, 11:11 AM
I blame High Definition and leather couches.

hater
04-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Why sit in the last row of the arena, when I can watch it in comfort on my couch with family/friends??

it's called Support of the Team

Budkin
04-22-2008, 12:20 PM

OMG that is the best quote ever. Timmay!

duncan228
04-22-2008, 12:31 PM

And it would appear to matter.
From Duncan's diary, last year during the Playoffs:

"On the road, we try to shut out the opposing team's crowd, but on our home-court we get really lifted and electrified by our fans. So please come down and cheer! It helps!"

http://www.slamduncan.com/diary.php

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-22-2008, 12:36 PM
The sad part is whining like Shaq's always influences the refs. It's almost comical that it works, but it does. I expect Parker and Manu to get pummeled tonight by the Big Fat Ass but no fouls forthcoming.

1Parker1
04-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Shaq has contiously flaunted the fact that he has 4 rings while I have yet to here a peep from Duncan about all his titles and MVP's. I'd be so easy for players in this league nowadays to flaunt the fact that they have gotten 4 rings in 9 years. Heck, the Pistons have an ego about the ONE they won in 04. This is why I love the Spurs.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-22-2008, 12:37 PM

The game will be sold out. Find something else to try and hate about.

milkyway21
04-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Shaq has contiously flaunted the fact that he has 4 rings while I have yet to here a peep from Duncan about all his titles and MVP's. I'd be so easy for players in this league nowadays to flaunt the fact that they have gotten 4 rings in 9 years. Heck, the Pistons have an ego about the ONE they won in 04. This is why I love the Spurs.I have not seen Duncan wearing any of his 4 rings yet. :bling:bling:bling:bling

duncan228
04-22-2008, 08:22 PM
I have not seen Duncan wearing any of his 4 rings yet. :bling:bling:bling:bling

The only time I've ever seen him wear one is the night he gets his latest. :)

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/001.jpg

ClingingMars
04-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Why are people responding to, AND QUOTING, this princess bitch?

It took about one of her comments for me to put her on ignore, but now all you jerks are quoting her shit in your comments.

Tim has it just right, and supremely, essentially simple. 4 Ws and move on.