PDA

View Full Version : Body Mass Index on a report card.

MannyIsGod
01-19-2005, 02:28 PM
I'm sorry, but this usually belongs in the political forum. But this time I fucking find it stupid beyond belief.

Read.

By: Van de Putte S.B. No. 205

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT

relating to inclusion of a public school student's body mass index
in the student's grade report card.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Subchapter A, Chapter 38, Education Code, is
amended by adding Section 38.022 to read as follows:
Sec. 38.022. INCLUSION OF BODY MASS INDEX IN NOTICE OF
STUDENT'S PERFORMANCE. (a) The written notice of a student's
performance a school district gives as required by Section
28.022(a)(2) must also include a statement of:
(1) the student's body mass index; and
(2) whether the student's body mass index is below,
within, or above the normal range according to a body mass index
value table approved for use by the district's local school health
advisory council.
(b) A school district shall weigh each student and compute
the student's body mass index in a manner designed to respect the
student's privacy.
(c) If a school district determines that a student's body
mass index is above the normal range, the district shall provide the
student's parent with written information approved by the
district's local school health advisory council that explains the
connection between a body mass index that is above the normal range
and obesity, diabetes, and other health problems.
SECTION 2. The heading to Section 28.022, Education Code,
is amended to read as follows:
Sec. 28.022. NOTICE TO PARENT OF STUDENT [UNSATISFACTORY]
PERFORMANCE AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.
SECTION 3. Section 28.022, Education Code, is amended by
adding Subsection (a-1) to read as follows:
(a-1) The notice required under Subsection (a)(2) must
include the information required by Section 38.022(a).
SECTION 4. Section 28.022, Education Code, as amended by
this Act, and Section 38.022, Education Code, as added by this Act,
apply beginning with the 2005-2006 school year.
SECTION 5. This Act takes effect immediately if it receives
a vote of two-thirds of all the members elected to each house, as
provided by Section 39, Article III, Texas Constitution. If this
Act does not receive the vote necessary for immediate effect, this
Act takes effect September 1, 2005.

Is there any wonder I can't stand this woman? Is she TRYING to force more kids into eating disorders?

And most importantly,is Leticia Fatty McFattyFuck willing to devulge HER BMI?

MosesGuthrie
01-19-2005, 02:34 PM
And most importantly,is Leticia Fatty McFattyFuck willing to devulge HER BMI?

I was about to ask the same question.

bigzak25
01-19-2005, 02:43 PM
(c) If a school district determines that a student's body
mass index is above the normal range, the district shall provide the
student's parent with written information approved by the
district's local school health advisory council that explains the
connection between a body mass index that is above the normal range
and obesity, diabetes, and other health problems.

just go ahead and sponser a bill to send this info out to all the kids homes leticia....no need for testing. putte may be a big girl, but she's got like six kids...all flacos and flacas....good looking daughters too....don't ask me how.

Useruser666
01-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Can't they just put narrow doors on the schools? If you can't fit through then you have a problem.

JackLalanne
01-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Proper eating and excercise habits must begin at home.

CrazyOne
01-19-2005, 07:40 PM
I may not go in with you on many of your political diatribes, Manny... but this one gets a hearty "Amen!"

Spurminator
01-19-2005, 07:44 PM
"Danny... Says here on this report card you're overweight, son. You told me your BMI was okay. Guess I'll have to start... LOOKING AT YOU."

Shelly
01-19-2005, 07:48 PM
I don't agree with it coming out on a report card, but I do think some parents need to be made aware that their child is overweight and the dangers it can cause. I really do think some parents have no clue. They test your hearing, eyesight, and for scoliosis in school, so I don't see the harm in it.

I repeat, it should not be on the student's report card, but a letter sent home wouldn't upset me in the least.

atlfan25
01-19-2005, 07:54 PM
fuck the BMI

atlfan25
01-19-2005, 09:06 PM
this shit would be pointless, if a parent can't tell their child is fat, then something is wrong with them.

MosesGuthrie
01-19-2005, 10:12 PM
this shit would be pointless, if a parent can't tell their child is fat, then something is wrong with them.

amen.

Shelly
01-19-2005, 10:24 PM
I think they know they're fat, but I would bet that a lot of them don't know the problems obesity can cause. Or they may think that their kid is 'not that fat' and in the safe range.

MannyIsGod
01-20-2005, 01:54 AM
I'm sorry, but our schools can't even educate their kids. What the hell are inner city schools who can't afford new books supposed to do to be able to impliment this?

It has no place with the schools.

Useruser666
01-20-2005, 02:11 AM
Ok, how about narrow doors on just the cafeterias? :lol

Hank Hill
01-20-2005, 08:43 AM
isn't that Van de Putte lady a big woman herself?

tlongII
01-20-2005, 09:37 AM
Something needs to be done to combat obesity in children. I think one of the problems is that the parents are fat also so they see nothing wrong with their kids being fat. It's amazing to me when I go overseas and see the general population of other countries and notice how much thinner they are than the average American.

Shelly
01-20-2005, 10:37 AM
Sorry..but as a parent, I don't have a problem with this as long as it's not on their report cards. I don't see how this is any different than the other tests I mentioned.

I'm telling you, a lot of these parents have no clue whatsoever that their child is at risk.

SpursWoman
01-20-2005, 10:53 AM
My kids' school does a total fitness assessment every year of each kid and compares them with prior years....strength, cardio, etc...and suggestions on how to improve on areas where they may come up short. It includes BMI and all of that good stuff.

I just got the one they did this year...my daughter grew almost 5 inches since last year... :wow.

What's wrong with doing it that way (once a year)? Unless you put them on a very strict routine, their information isn't going to change much every 9 weeks.

MannyIsGod
01-20-2005, 01:15 PM
My kids' school does a total fitness assessment every year of each kid and compares them with prior years....strength, cardio, etc...and suggestions on how to improve on areas where they may come up short. It includes BMI and all of that good stuff.

I just got the one they did this year...my daughter grew almost 5 inches since last year... :wow.

What's wrong with doing it that way (once a year)? Unless you put them on a very strict routine, their information isn't going to change much every 9 weeks.

Districts like SAISD can't afford to do this. This law makes it mandatory, which pisses me off because:

1. I don't think it's the schools place, really. But i'll be willing to overlook that because of the other testing. Ideally, I don't want the testing to go on at schools on a mandatory level at all.

2. SAISD can't afford to impliment anything like this when they can't even afford to educate their kids.

EVEN if it IS useful, there are problems that need to be addressed that are MUCH higher on the totem pole. This is stupid unessecary legislation.

Are you parents saying that your concerned but not enough to take care of these issues on your own? You need the school to get you moving?

I understand the sentiment behind it, but I don't agree that it should be mandatory for the schools by ANY means.

SpursWoman
01-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Districts like SAISD can't afford to do this. This law makes it mandatory, which pisses me off because:

1. I don't think it's the schools place, really. But i'll be willing to overlook that because of the other testing. Ideally, I don't want the testing to go on at schools on a mandatory level at all.

2. SAISD can't afford to impliment anything like this when they can't even afford to educate their kids.

EVEN if it IS useful, there are problems that need to be addressed that are MUCH higher on the totem pole. This is stupid unessecary legislation.

Are you parents saying that your concerned but not enough to take care of these issues on your own? You need the school to get you moving?

I understand the sentiment behind it, but I don't agree that it should be mandatory for the schools by ANY means.

SAISD doesn't have PE classes already included in their cirriculum? How expensive would it be to switch out a week or two of kickball and concentrate on physical fitness, modified strength training and cardiovascular training to at least teach them the basics and the importance of it? To send home a little report on how many situps, pullups and laps they can run? If you're talking about what they do at my kids' school, they do that all in PE.

As far as the BMI required to be put on a report card, I don't really see purpose of it.

SpursWoman
01-20-2005, 02:08 PM

You don't think the exponentially growing problem of obesity among children is a serious problem? If they all die at a much earlier age from bad health, we won't have to worry about their jobs being shipped to India, will we?

I don't think that putting a stupid number on a report card--which would more than likely be put in an inconspicuous place and largely ignored anyway--is the way to go about it.

But I also don't think the schools getting involved is a bad idea, though. I don't think it's that big of a stretch to figure that in a lot of families that's the only place where kids get any kind of real attention--physical or otherwise.

T Park
01-20-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm sorry, but our schools can't even educate their kids. What the hell are inner city schools who can't afford new books supposed to do to be able to impliment this?

It has no place with the schools.

We disagree quite a bit on politics Manny, but your dead on on this one.

This is more BS, government and schools trying to invade people's lives.

If you at home, cant tell your kid is fat, the school should go to your home maybe and smack you with a hammer.

Once again, teach the kids the three Rs, quit the BMI and horseshit like that.

travis2
01-20-2005, 02:27 PM
On this you and I agree, Manny.

T Park
01-20-2005, 02:27 PM
But I also don't think the schools getting involved is a bad idea, though.

All they have to do, is teach the freakin kids.

They can't even do that, now they are gonna be doctors for christ sake??

SpursWoman
01-20-2005, 02:37 PM
All they have to do, is teach the freakin kids.

They can't even do that, now they are gonna be doctors for christ sake??

Living proof, huh?

:lol :rollin

If you could read, you'd notice that I was not advocating the BMI requirement on the report card.

By "involvement" I meant that they already teach physical education in school, and I don't think it would be a bad idea to perhaps revamp their programs to include something a little more beneficial to a child's understanding of physical health than wiffle ball, and provide some type of progress benchmark, even if it's only once a year like my kids' school does. Unless, of course, you advocate removing PE from the cirriculum too, as it doesn't pertain to reading or math.

A lot of adults that are actually interested in their physical health chart their progress as a tool for motivation, maybe something similar could benefit kids?

Shelly
01-20-2005, 02:44 PM
uh....i'd venture to say that there are several people here who that still haven't mastered writing, spelling, and grammar very well.

MannyIsGod
01-20-2005, 02:58 PM
living proof

Of fuck it, I digress.

That was funny as hell.

desflood
01-20-2005, 03:01 PM
I hate public schools.

ididnotnothat
01-20-2005, 03:05 PM
I think the problem started when school cafeterias went "a-la-carte" and allowed kids to start shoving pizzas and burgers down their faces instead of getting a FoxNews lunch. You know, fair and balanced.

Shelly
01-20-2005, 03:06 PM
If you could read, you'd notice that I was not advocating the BMI requirement on the report card.

Nor was I, which I believe I stated TWICE!

I still don't see what the big deal is. Like SW said, it can be done during P.E. Our schools do assessment tests during P.E. as well.

I think the problem started when school cafeterias went "a-la-carte" and allowed kids to start shoving pizzas and burgers down their faces instead of getting a FoxNews lunch. You know, fair and balanced.

Definitely. However, my kids think school food is gross so they don't eat it. My 6th grader doesn't have time to eat lunch if he waits in line for his food.

desflood
01-20-2005, 03:06 PM
:lol

Opinionater
01-20-2005, 03:09 PM
IMHO, BMI is TMI.

Shelly
01-20-2005, 05:14 PM
Put it this way....I could give a rat's ass if my son has his BMI index tested at school. My son just informed me that the Bloods and the Crips are supposed to have a shoot out at his school tomorrow. Yes, a threat was phoned in confirmed by the principal to a friend of mine. The whole school is buzzing with this news. He seems to think it's, and I quote, "A load of crap.", but still...

It's fun to be a parent.

bigzak25
01-20-2005, 05:23 PM
i didn't know your kids went to school in the hood shelly.

is your boy a blood or crip?

j/k of course. i know as a parent, you have to take all this seriously, but i would highly doubt a gang gun fight in suburbia, much less an announced one. Good luck, Godbless.

SpursWoman
01-20-2005, 05:24 PM
Do your kids have "Red" drills?

There's another fun one.... :fro

Shelly
01-20-2005, 05:26 PM
Oh, I know Zak, but then in the back of your mind you think of Columbine. I did ask him if was worried about going to school tomorrow and he said no.But he did say you're not supposed to wear red or blue! While I think the school is taking this seriously, I'd think they'd have to notify the parents, right?

Do your kids have "Red" drills?

There's another fun one....

??? What is that? I know they have in elementary a certain code in cas of an emergency.

Useruser666
01-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Can you wear red and blue together at the same time? Damnit, then the Kings would just shoot you right? :lol

Shelly
01-20-2005, 05:33 PM
Can you wear red and blue together at the same time? Damnit, then the Kings would just shoot you right? :lol

But wouldn't that make you the Purples?

Useruser666
01-20-2005, 05:54 PM

The Barnies is an elementary school gang.

baseline bum
01-20-2005, 06:48 PM

Nah... purple is Grape Street Watts (a Crip set). It cracks me up seeing all of these kids who've never even seen the Shaw representing streets in South Central, Watts, Compton, and Long Beach all over the country.

tlongII
01-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Actually BMI is not that useful of a measurement. Someone that lifts weights frequently will have a BMI number that could appear to indicate obesity when in reality it only reflects greater muscle mass.

E20
01-20-2005, 07:24 PM
http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/calc-bmi.htm (Calculate your BMI)

It also explains this:

What Does This All Mean?

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/images/bmi_fit_small.gifhttp://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/images/bmi_unfit_small.gif

SpursWoman
01-20-2005, 07:24 PM
I thought of that too, but they are talking about children for the most part....who don't really start doing any kind of weight training until 12 or so.

I think they may be talking about younger children....

Clandestino
01-21-2005, 11:57 AM
this is easy to do and costs virtually nothing if done during the kids PE class. what harm does it truly do?

it may not have to go on the report card, but like some have said a letter home would be great.

also, you don't have to be a doctor to figure out BMI.