PDA

View Full Version : Game 2 Adjustments: Spurs vs. Suns

timvp
04-22-2008, 06:28 AM
Offensively
-Get everyone involved. The Big Three all played well in Game 1 but their slice of the offensive pie was too large. Add Finley to the equation and the team’s four main scorers accounted for 103 of the team’s 117 points. The other players need to get into the action. This is the same team that Fabricio Oberto had his career game against. Bruce Bowen got open looks last season. Brent Barry always seems to find ways to get open against Phoenix. The Spurs can’t win this series if the Big Three have to do all of the heavy lifting.

-Attack even more. I know the Spurs had an ungodly amount of points in the paint but they have to stay in attack mode. Tony Parker needs to go all the way to the basket and not settle for the tear drop. Manu Ginobili can’t stop driving if his outside shot is falling. Tim Duncan needs to concentrate on running the court to get the best post position possible. Against the Suns, the Spurs should either be shooting at the basket or three-pointers. Their defense is improved but still not anywhere close to being considered great.

-Run. For all the scoring the Spurs did in the second half and the overtimes, it was almost exclusively in the half court setting. Getting up and down the court is how the Spurs can get going from three-point land and really cause havoc for the Suns. If both teams walk it up, Steve Nash is such a killer in the pick-and-rolls that I’d say the Suns have the advantage in a half court game these days.

Defensively
-Variation. When Nash is in the pick-and-roll, there’s no real way to shut it down. The only thing you can do is throw different looks at it to keep Nash off balance. Trap the pick-and-rolls sometimes. Send weakside help sometimes. If the Spurs have the lead, they can even get away with going under the pick to force Nash to look for his own shot. Switch up the defenders on both Nash and Amare Stoudemire. Nash is the best when he sees the same defense repeatedly. At that point, he’ll find a way to score 60%+ of the time.

-Force jumpers. If you can keep the Suns off the three-point line and not allow them to dunk the ball, you can live with anything else. Nash and Stoudemire are great jump shooters but a contested midrange jumper is a successful stand against this offense. When defending against players like Grant Hill and Boris Diaw, sag in to allow jumpers until they prove they can connect. If the Suns beat you with jumpers, they beat you. Usually the Spurs want to funnel teams to the basket but against the Suns I think you want to funnel them away from the basket.

-Contain Leandro Barbosa. I truly believe he’s the Suns x-factor right now in this series. This is especially true if Parker spends a lot of time on Nash. Barbosa is a player who can get rolling and put up 25 points before you realize what has happened. Nash and Stoudemire will get their points. The Spurs can’t let Barbosa get going as he’s their third most explosive scorer at this point.

Coaching
-Play Brent Barry in place of both Ime Udoka and Jacque Vaughn. I’m pretty sure Pop will give Udoka and Vaughn looks at the beginning of the game but I’d rather Pop just cut his losses now. Neither Udoka nor Vaughn has the required offensive skillset in this series. Barry and Ginobili sharing backup point guard duties will work well enough. Barry, Ginobili, Bowen and Finley can share the swingman minutes.

-Don’t be overconfident with Hack-a-Shaq. It worked in Game 1 but I don’t think Pop should go back to that gimmick in Game 2. Teams that employ Hack-a-Shaq almost always lose. Game 1 was the exception to the rule – and that was mostly due to Mike D’Antoni panicking and removing O’Neal from the game. If the Suns are scoring too easily and the Spurs offense can’t keep up, then Hack-a-Shaq might be worthwhile. But Pop shouldn’t just use it because it worked before.

-Don’t overplay the Big Three. I know they got a lot of rest but I think the physical and mental toll of Game 1 will still carry over to Game 2. Duncan and Parker shouldn’t play more than 40 minutes. Ginobili shouldn’t play more than 35 minutes. As long as the game is relatively close, Pop needs to use that time to let the Big Three rest.

Outlook
I truly believe this is the game in the series that will determine which team will advance. If the Spurs win, they can head to Phoenix with all the confidence in the world to get a split. If the Suns win, they'll be extremely confident and rightfully think it took repeated miracles to stop them from taking both in San Antonio.

I see this game going one of two ways. Either the Spurs come out flat and a repeat of Game 2 against the Mavs takes place where the Suns simply roll to a victory. Or the Spurs can come out like they did against the Lakers in Game 2 of the 2003 playoffs and just use their emotional high to extend their Game 1 roll.

As fun of a spectacle Game 1 was to watch, I gained a lot of respect for these Suns. They can still very realistically beat the Spurs. They have amazing offensive weapons and they are built to specifically beat San Antonio. In fact, they beat the Spurs about three or four times in Game 1 ... they just couldn't finish the game off. I think the Spurs can win this series but it will require a Game 2 victory.

Believe.

DAF86
04-22-2008, 07:03 AM
On offense i agree that we need to run a little bit more and involve more people, something similar to what we did against Utah in the last regular season game, (where Finley was attacking the rim like in his all-star days)

And in defense if Bowen isn't making his shots and Pop needs to sit him i would put Manu on Nash so Tony could stay with Barbosa. And I think that bringing a third guy to help in the PnR between Nash and Amare is the best way to stop it. (specially when Amare gets the ball)

I'd also like to see more Barry

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-22-2008, 07:09 AM
winner takes all this game

no way Spurs get win PHX heading there 1-1, no way PHX comes back down 2-0

TDMVPDPOY
04-22-2008, 07:28 AM
we win this game, suns can forget about the next 2 games at home....cause spurs are going to sweep them

to21
04-22-2008, 07:39 AM
I usually skim over long posts.....except the ones timvp writes.

Our boys moved the ball very well against the Jazz. We saw it a few times in Game 1, I think if we see this again......we should be fine.

SAGambler
04-22-2008, 07:43 AM
-Don’t overplay the Big Three. I know they got a lot of rest but I think the physical and mental toll of Game 1 will still carry over to Game 2.

Then you really have to wonder about the mental toll that game took on the Suns. They had the Spurs where they wanted them......And then let it all slip away. I would say mentally the Spurs are in a much better frame of mind than any of the Suns can be. No way the Suns took a "moral" victory out of that. The stupid remarks of the Fat Man show that..

polandprzem
04-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Good job LJ

(damn I wanted to write - blow job LJ - but I didn't)

Umm, yup pretty much it is over when Steven is in pick and roll and that's why spurs should try to put Bowen more often on him. Tony was risking too much when he got under screens, when Nash is hot he will make those shots. And he will make the shots when Amare will eat up bothe defenders of the screenrolls.

It won't be easy to to set for a 3 poiters so it makes sens to cut down Udoka, but still I think he can be usefull against the Suns for some periods of time like cool of a hot player (diaw,Giricek,Hill). Other then that it will be extreamly difficult for him to score as Suns rather like to stay with their guy (not doubling) or setting for a zone D, well D'Antoni knows this kind of play very well. If the Suns will shut down our jumshots and won't allowe Tim to go full force we are lost.

Mental aspect as timvp said - the Suns thinks that the first contest was a fluke game for the spurs all in all they owned the spurs last two games. Shaq when losing his confidence can easily be fed up with everything. The spurs job is to let that to happen and bury them. Many times the energy from the 1st game is going to the second but not necesseary as the spurs can drop thinking :Ohh well we were down and we won last time so no worries.
The spurs must get of the stargate quick and set up for jumpshots and Tony penetrating at will.
And no stagnant 4-down shieyt this time.

As for barry as a PG runner. Umm I dont know if Barry can play more then 10 minutes right now.
I would consider giving jaque a chance, maybe it will be one of those games when he explodes - worth trying.

Snaq a Shaq - I think that tactic was used only to see Mike's reaction and get into his head. I don't think Pop will go with that as one of the strategies into this series.

We need agression, we need motion, we need Kurt pulling Shaq's shirt.

DarrinS
04-22-2008, 07:50 AM
-Run. For all the scoring the Spurs did in the second half and the overtimes, it was almost exclusively in the half court setting. Getting up and down the court is how the Spurs can get going from three-point land and really cause havoc for the Suns. If both teams walk it up, Steve Nash is such a killer in the pick-and-rolls that I’d say the Suns have the advantage in a half court game these days.

100% agree. I was surprised that we played so much half court offense in game 1, but I suspect it had a lot to do with the Big Fatcus getting in early foul trouble and riding pine, so Tim could just abuse whoever was there "guarding" him.

Tony penetrating and dishing is what is called for in game #2. I want Finley and Bowen getting good looks from the 3, early in the game.

Brent Barry should run the point behind TP. I don't want to see anyone named Vaughn or Damon on the court.

:flag:

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-22-2008, 08:03 AM
I agree with everything you said, LJ, except that I think Ime can play a role. Sure, he didn't fit in game one and Pop wisely sat him, but he just played a poor game. When he's on, he can be great at both ends and spark the team just like Barry, and he can match up on Bell, Hill or Giricek, who are all threats for them if they get going. I see Ime and Brent alternating depending on who gets it going earliest, and maybe what sort of damage the Suns' swingmen are doing.

Shang Tsung
04-22-2008, 08:03 AM
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff188/jasonfraga/ShaqNash.jpg
How can someone lose to these guys?

Admidave50
04-22-2008, 08:24 AM
I think Ime is worth taking a look in the first half.

I believe that we can still steal one game in Phoenix if we lose tonight but don't count on it!

Spurs will escape with the victory!

GO SPURS GO

1Parker1
04-22-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm interested most in seeing what Pop does defensively with Nash. Is he going to stick Parker on him to start the game and end with Bowen on him and Parker on Barbosa or is Pop going to put Bowen on someone like Grant Hill or Raja Bell and keep Parker on Nash. I think it's best to mix up the defense on Nash. If Pop sticks him on Nash from begining to end, I think Nash is going to adjust. Parker did a pretty decent job defending Nash too.

I agree with the sentament that who wins Game 2 tonight, will most likely end up winning the series. If the Suns win, I don't know if the Spurs can come back from it because the Suns were built to beat the Spurs. If the Spurs win, I'm not sure I see the Suns being able to win 4 of the next 5 against the Spurs.

Hopefully the Spurs don't come out flat. Then again, I don't want them to come out blazing too, that usually means a meltdown in the 2nd half. I think Shaq is going to be able to contain Duncan for the most part this game and the refs are probably going to call less fouls on him. Duncan needs to go beyond this and continue competiing. Spurs are going to need someone other than the usual suspects to come through offensively. Hopefully, Bowen can find his 3 point range and not settle for odd runners in the lane.

wildchild
04-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Contain Leandro Barbosa. I truly believe he’s the Suns x-factor right now in this series. This is especially true if Parker spends a lot of time on Nash. Barbosa is a player who can get rolling and put up 25 points before you realize what has happened. Nash and Stoudemire will get their points. The Spurs can’t let Barbosa get going as he’s their third most explosive scorer at this point.
I say contain Barbosa and Diaw. Maybe Diaw was weak at crunch time but his offense could hurt the Spurs again.

-Play Brent Barry in place of both Ime Udoka and Jacque Vaughn. I’m pretty sure Pop will give Udoka and Vaughn looks at the beginning of the game but I’d rather Pop just cut his losses now. Neither Udoka nor Vaughn has the required offensive skillset in this series. Barry and Ginobili sharing backup point guard duties will work well enough. Barry, Ginobili, Bowen and Finley can share the swingman minutes.
Couldn't agree more.

Believe.

:tu

hsxvvd
04-22-2008, 09:33 AM
I personally will not be making any adjustments.

Same socks, jocks and seat for me.

Nothing changes while we keep winning.

Believe...

MI21
04-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Nice post, timvp.

The most interesting part to me is how they defend Nash. I would really like to see whoever is defending him force him right a little bit more. His jumpshot is not as good going right, and he isn't really a threat around the rim because he seems to have abandoned a lot of those tricky underhand scoop shots. I think you can cover the little split bounce pass from the Pick N Roll a lot better if you force him right, because you can semi overplay it. Also, for fuck sake, stop defending him behind the hoop. The Spurs always do this and frustrates the hell out of me. He isn't a threat there except on the pass, so let him run around. The Spurs team defense and rotation is good enough to cover the havoc this causes without following him when he has the ball. Annoying, and it leads to so many little interior passes to Amare, it drives me crazy.

Also, when Bowen is on him I feel he should play a little bit more ball denial. Phoenix turns to shit when he can't get the ball, and Nash seems to get very frustrated with Bowen's handsiness (for lack of better word) when he is all up on him. I've noticed that Bell and Barbosa will try jack up stupid shots when they are denied the pass to Nash.

Nash is really there engine as we all know, and I don't think there is much point trying to plan to much for Amare. He is a Spur killer and always has been. Unless D-Rob decides he wants to play, Amare is going to get his 25+. As always, the best bet is to just hope he gets in foul trouble, drive at him, and try and draw some charges. I thought Thomas did a good job on him, far better than Oberto who Amare just abuses.

I think these teams pretty much know each other by now, and adjustments are going to be minor ones, but could be very important. I agree with more Barry. This Suns team still isn't that great defensively, and Barry helps the ball movement of the Spurs which leads to players getting into seems and the lane and there defense will become a mess. The Suns still don't have great rotations. I could keep going but I can't be bothered :lol Everyone knows what these teams are about, I'm just thankful to be able to sit back and watch, despite it being bad for the heart.

Go Spurs! I'm calling it now also, Timmy will come close to a triple double with Points/Rebs/Assists :)

T Park
04-22-2008, 10:46 AM
i would put Manu on Nash

Why the hell would you do that?!?

TampaDude
04-22-2008, 10:52 AM

+1 Game 2 tonight is HUGE...the winner of tonight's game will probably win the series and ultimately the West.

rAm
04-22-2008, 10:52 AM
I want to see Ime in the first half before we write him off. We need to get him involved now if he is going to help us later in the playoffs.

Vaughn on the other hand, I would like to see replaced with Barry.

ambchang
04-22-2008, 10:56 AM

Why can't the Spurs go to PHX 1-1 and win the series? It's not like they haven't won in Phoenix in the playoffs before.

It would make it tougher, but not mission impossible.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Great post timvp, I appreciate you posting this :tu

easjer
04-22-2008, 12:04 PM
I agree that this is must-win for the Spurs. I actually expect Suns to come out very aggressively, with something to prove. Spurs can't let that get to them or be overwhelmed early on. They just need to plug away and get better as they go (but, erm, without taking quite so much time as last time, thanks).

I don't think Pheonix will be utterly demoralized by a loss - there would be a lot of 'Well, they just did what they were supposed to do, protected home court, and we played very well and think we can win at home and tie this up.' That said - make a statement, Spurs. It will be harder for them to focus and confidence will ebb away about their ability to win 4-in-5, if only you win this game.

Play it VERY well, DOMINATE them, and that might impact their confidence level. Another miracles needed performance by the Spurs, even if it results in a win, will send them home thinking they have what it takes to tie it up at home. A resounding defeat because the Spurs played the way they can - good, solid basketball for 48 minutes - will shake them up.

Get it done. Must win - show us what you showed us in Utah, Spurs. Your playoff life is as much on the line now as it was nearly a week ago. I know they can do it.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-22-2008, 12:10 PM
I still don't get how this is a MUST WIN for SA. I mean, going up 2-0 would be fantastic, but it's not like the concept of SA stealing one game in Phoenix is impossible. I could see it being a must win game if SA was down 0-1 on their home floor or something.

Plus even if SA goes up 2-0, we've seen several instances where they let the series come back tied for game 5....such as 2003 and 2004 against the Lakers, and 2006 against the Kings.

So if it's a must win so we don't fall into a 1-3 hole like we did against Dallas back in '06, then okay.

I think it'd be a huge win for the Spurs tonight, but I refuse to believe if the series is tied, that they can't get one in Phoenix.

remingtonbo2001
04-22-2008, 12:12 PM
How do you come up with this stuff at 6:28 AM?

That's far too early. When do you sleep?

hater
04-22-2008, 12:12 PM
yeah it's not a must win for SA. it's a must win for Phoenix though.

I am afraid Spurs will play half asleep and with help from the refs due to Suns crying, fall in a big whole. this time they probably won't get back.

but they will win at least one in Phoenix though.

Budkin
04-22-2008, 12:15 PM
No way this is a must win game... there's no reason we can't win in Phoenix if we need to. I think we need to look at things from the other perspective. The Spurs played like shit for much of the game and the Suns couldn't finish. You'll see the Spurs get better and better as the series goes on. Like I said, the Suns blew their chance.

DAINTX
04-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Put Horry on Nash. Big Shot knows how to defend him. :lmao

oboymeetsogirl
04-22-2008, 12:25 PM
I read something interesting on another blog, commenting that Pop has always been willing to live with Amare's 30, 40 point sprees against the Spurs because when he's on the floor he's also such a defensive liability for the Suns. A great finisher, but poor mentally on defense. Makes sense, because so many of the Suns' losses to the Spurs have come from two or three classic Stoudemire defensive mistakes.

In game two, I seriously doubt that the Spurs will do anything different from game one offensively. Attack the basket, and attack the basket some more. All good things come from that -- layup drills, the Suns' big guys getting into foul trouble, opening up the three point line for Finley, Bowen, Ginoblis, Barry, etc.

Defensively, though, clearly Pop thinks they were deficient in game one. Lots of errors defending Nash's pick and rolls. If we narrow the window for his passes (don't they seem so predictable, but difficult to stop?), the Spurs should make it a lot harder for them to get to the basket.

I'm feeling good about game two. The Suns say they gave the first game away; but from what I saw, the Spurs almost gave the game away with their ridiculous number of turnovers and defensive lapses in the first half. If we cut down on that, I'm not really seeing how the Suns will compete. After all, simple logic tell you that it's a lot easier to pull ahead in a close game than having to come back from 12, 16 point deficits.

florige
04-22-2008, 02:17 PM
I still don't get how this is a MUST WIN for SA. I mean, going up 2-0 would be fantastic, but it's not like the concept of SA stealing one game in Phoenix is impossible. I could see it being a must win game if SA was down 0-1 on their home floor or something.

Plus even if SA goes up 2-0, we've seen several instances where they let the series come back tied for game 5....such as 2003 and 2004 against the Lakers, and 2006 against the Kings.

So if it's a must win so we don't fall into a 1-3 hole like we did against Dallas back in '06, then okay.

I think it'd be a huge win for the Spurs tonight, but I refuse to believe if the series is tied, that they can't get one in Phoenix.

Thats what I'm thinking too. While it would be nice, I don't think it would be the end of the world. The only way I would be worried if we lost tonight would be if we got blown out. Then I would be worried. :wow

Amuseddaysleeper
04-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Thats what I'm thinking too. While it would be nice, I don't think it would be the end of the world. The only way I would be worried if we lost tonight would be if we got blown out. Then I would be worried. :wow

Which would make the parallels to the 2006 Mav series even more eerie :wow

T Park
04-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Which would make the parallels to the 2006 Mav series even more eerie :wow

:lol

Wich would make you happy.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-22-2008, 02:21 PM
lol, wtf

That series was arguably more painful than the 2004 series against the Lakers

Cry Havoc
04-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Why can't the Spurs go to PHX 1-1 and win the series? It's not like they haven't won in Phoenix in the playoffs before.

It would make it tougher, but not mission impossible.

+1

Spurs are tough to beat in any game of the playoffs. Even Utah would have problems taking us in their arena. We could lose Game 2 and then win the next 3.

Though if we go up 2-0, the series might... MIGHT be over. Shaq tends to shut down when he thinks he can't win.

T Park
04-22-2008, 02:23 PM
lol, wtf

That series was arguably more painful than the 2004 series against the Lakers

You love to be miserable and down on the team, so its right up your alley.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-22-2008, 02:23 PM
ohhhh

I see

T Park
04-22-2008, 02:24 PM
+1

Spurs are tough to beat in any game of the playoffs. Even Utah would have problems taking us in their arena. We could lose Game 2 and then win the next 3.

Though if we go up 2-0, the series might... MIGHT be over. Shaq tends to shut down when he thinks he can't win.

I personally think, that game 2 is a must win.
You give them way too much confidence letting them win tonight.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-22-2008, 02:25 PM
T Park, you are way too hard on the team sometimes

T Park
04-22-2008, 02:27 PM
T Park, you are way too hard on the team sometimes

I'm not the one after game 1 saying how fantastic the Suns are and how the Spurs were lucky to win.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-22-2008, 02:29 PM
The Spurs were lucky.

But sometimes you need a little luck to get through, nothing wrong with that.

Tonight should be a great game.

bostonguy
04-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Ummm why the fuck are people saying winner tonight takes all? Is it a game 7 or something. If the Suns win it is 1-1. If the Spurs win it is 2-0. If the Spurs cant rebound from a loss tonight, then they should already make vacation plans. If the Spurs are a true championship team this season, it is foolish to say they cant rebound if it goes 1-1.

easjer
04-22-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm saying it's a must win, because despite the fact that 2-3 more games happen minimum, I do not see the Spurs taking the series if they don't win tonight. I can see them splitting in Pheonix, but I NEVER count on a team winning on the opposition court, especially in crunch time. A big chunk of the edge Pheonix has is psychological, and the Spurs need to win tonight to negate that. Pop even said that they had lost some heart, some belief in themselves. Losing tonight would reinforce that they were just lucky and Pheonix let one slip away, as opposed to fighting back and proving that they can be the better team.

I just firmly believe that if they don't win tonight, this series goes to 7, and I won't be betting on the outcome. If they win tonight, I think it gets wrapped up (relatively) quickly.

ETA - I think this is where the Spurs step up and prove that they are here to play and that they can get it done. We've been let down over and over this season by one stunning game, only to have them fall flat in the next two or three. If they step it up and win tonight, then I think they can do it, all the way. If they don't, then I'm not convinced they can beat Pheonix. They have got to maintain HCA, and they have got to win tonight. That is why I think it's must-win.

I understand why people are ok with a split - I predicted a split here, a split in Pheonix, and wins in 5 and 6. But there is just a gut feeling I have, which I usually have before games 3 or 5, that this is the moment that they define themselves and this year.

There is every chance I'm wrong, and that my original prediction for this series holds firm.

In other words, I agree that this game, not game 3, is the one that decides the series.

Billy Cobham
04-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Start Ginobili.

Bench Parker.

1Parker1
04-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Bottom Line; If the Spurs win tonight, it'll give them a great chance to finish this in 6 games. If the Suns win, the Spurs can risk losing in 6 games or perhaps this going to 7 games where each team will have a 50-50 chance of winning it.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Bottom Line; If the Spurs win tonight, it'll give them a great chance to finish this in 6 games. If the Suns win, the Spurs can risk losing in 6 games or perhaps this going to 7 games where each team will have a 50-50 chance of winning it.

Why do I get the vibe that both me and you feel iffy about tonight's game? :lol

also, I agree 100% when you said how the Spurs get off to big leads early, they tend to lose those games (i.e Lakers game, where they started on a 7-0 run)

1Parker1
04-22-2008, 03:08 PM
:lol Eh, I'm not iffy about tonight's game, I think it can go either way. I honestly don't know what to expect from either team. I don't think the Suns are going to just roll over after Game 1. I do think they'll be more careful next time they have a big lead on the Spurs. I just think that if the Spurs come out of the gates and get a good lead on the Suns, their recent struggles coming out of halftimes to score may be evident. I like when they keep the games close and then turn it up a notch on execution in the 4th quarter for a few key possessions.

easjer
04-22-2008, 04:00 PM

Yes, exactly. This sums it up in far fewer words. That's why this is so important.

Galileo
04-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Great post.

Tim for Vice President!

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Creer.

td4mvp21
04-22-2008, 05:17 PM
I thought the Spurs did a good job of forcing contested jumpers last game. The Suns made a lot of tough shots (which is no surprise, they have very good shooters), but hopefully those contested shots won't continue to fall. The Suns only had 46 points in the paint (maybe a little more had Shaq played more, but not a whole lot such as 60 points). 46 out of 115-I think the Spurs defense deserves credit for that. I think what needs to be different is offensive execution-get role players involved, DO NOT STOP MOVING THE BALL, and limit turnovers. Also, the Spurs need to bust out of the gate with energy and intensity. If they do those things, I will be confident about securing a win.

Supergirl
04-22-2008, 05:23 PM
I disagree about Udoka...I think we need to see a lot more of him - he can shoot the jumper reliably and will help cut off the Suns' passing lanes and create turnovers.

YoMamaIsCallin
04-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Last year, the Spurs went 1-1 in the first 2 games of both opening series (vs. Denver and at Phoenix). They went on to beat Denver in 5 and Phoenix in 6.

From what I've seen the Spurs usually come on big in Game 5/6. By then they've figured out the other team.

remingtonbo2001
04-22-2008, 05:52 PM

+1

I'd go one step further and say if we win tonight's game, in all likelyhood the Spurs will finish this series in 5 games.

If not then it's likely to go 6-7 games.

lefty
04-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Put Horry on Nash. Big Shot knows how to defend him. :lmao

You beat me to it

td4mvp21
04-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Even if we win tonight I'm still not convinced we'll win the series. I will feel much better about our chances, but this team is absolutely notorious for giving away 2-0 leads. Last year was the first year since 2003 the Spurs did not give up a 2-0 lead to allow the opposing team to either tie a series or win it (The Spurs never got up 2-0 in 2002).

sabar
04-23-2008, 12:14 AM
I'm convinced Pop employs hack-a-shaq to bait D'Antoni into pulling Shaq if the FTs don't fall. Especially since he did it while we were up.

It took D'Antoni long enough to figure it out.

T Park
04-23-2008, 12:15 AM
I'm convinced Pop employs hack-a-shaq to bait D'Antoni into pulling Shaq if the FTs don't fall. Especially since he did it while we were up.

It took D'Antoni long enough to figure it out.

Yeah unfortunately the game would've been a 20 point blowout maybe had they stuck to defense.

The defense was playing damn well.

Oh well.

timvp
04-23-2008, 02:00 AM
Offensively
-Get everyone involved. The Big Three all played well in Game 1 but their slice of the offensive pie was too large. Add Finley to the equation and the team’s four main scorers accounted for 103 of the team’s 117 points. The other players need to get into the action. This is the same team that Fabricio Oberto had his career game against. Bruce Bowen got open looks last season. Brent Barry always seems to find ways to get open against Phoenix. The Spurs can’t win this series if the Big Three have to do all of the heavy lifting. :shootme

The Spurs had three points outside of the Big Three in the first half (Barry's three). However, once Finley got it rolling in the third quarter, that's when the floodgates open. Going forward, the Spurs must find a way to create opportunities for players outside of the Big Three.

The Suns aren't leaving Bowen and they are trying not to leave Finley. They're only leaving Udoka open at the moment. Have to give props to that strategy by the Suns. Nash's restraint in aimlessly wandering on defense has been impressive in this series.

-Attack even more. I know the Spurs had an ungodly amount of points in the paint but they have to stay in attack mode. Tony Parker needs to go all the way to the basket and not settle for the tear drop. Manu Ginobili can’t stop driving if his outside shot is falling. Tim Duncan needs to concentrate on running the court to get the best post position possible. Against the Suns, the Spurs should either be shooting at the basket or three-pointers. Their defense is improved but still not anywhere close to being considered great.Nice job :tu

Parker and Ginobili need to continue scoring at healthy rates to win this series.

-Run. For all the scoring the Spurs did in the second half and the overtimes, it was almost exclusively in the half court setting. Getting up and down the court is how the Spurs can get going from three-point land and really cause havoc for the Suns. If both teams walk it up, Steve Nash is such a killer in the pick-and-rolls that I’d say the Suns have the advantage in a half court game these days.:clap

18 fast break points in the first half. Only five in the second half but those fast break points in the first half were huge. The Spurs can run even more against this team.

Defensively
-Variation. When Nash is in the pick-and-roll, there’s no real way to shut it down. The only thing you can do is throw different looks at it to keep Nash off balance. Trap the pick-and-rolls sometimes. Send weakside help sometimes. If the Spurs have the lead, they can even get away with going under the pick to force Nash to look for his own shot. Switch up the defenders on both Nash and Amare Stoudemire. Nash is the best when he sees the same defense repeatedly. At that point, he’ll find a way to score 60%+ of the time.Mission accomplished. Switching Bowen and Parker against Nash worked out well. Nash still put up sick stats but bro is just damn good. They slowed him down for a stretch there in the second half and that's all you can really do. Nobody is going to shut him down completely. He's too good and he has too much freedom in that offense.

-Force jumpers. If you can keep the Suns off the three-point line and not allow them to dunk the ball, you can live with anything else. Nash and Stoudemire are great jump shooters but a contested midrange jumper is a successful stand against this offense. When defending against players like Grant Hill and Boris Diaw, sag in to allow jumpers until they prove they can connect. If the Suns beat you with jumpers, they beat you. Usually the Spurs want to funnel teams to the basket but against the Suns I think you want to funnel them away from the basket.The Spurs did exactly this in the third quarter. They allowed only one layup (an awkward attempt that Bell missed) and one three-pointer (a Barbosa miss). Every other shot in the quarter was a two-pointer away from the basket. Luckily, the Suns stopped hitting everything and the Spurs were able to get a much needed dominating quarter.

-Contain Leandro Barbosa. I truly believe he’s the Suns x-factor right now in this series. This is especially true if Parker spends a lot of time on Nash. Barbosa is a player who can get rolling and put up 25 points before you realize what has happened. Nash and Stoudemire will get their points. The Spurs can’t let Barbosa get going as he’s their third most explosive scorer at this point.Barbosa was 0-7 on the night. :smokin

A lot of people guarded him -- from Parker to Ginobili ... even Barry was on him for a possession. Very good job of holding Barbosa scoreless. However, it'll get much harder in the next two games because Barbosa played a lot better at home.

Coaching
-Play Brent Barry in place of both Ime Udoka and Jacque Vaughn. I’m pretty sure Pop will give Udoka and Vaughn looks at the beginning of the game but I’d rather Pop just cut his losses now. Neither Udoka nor Vaughn has the required offensive skillset in this series. Barry and Ginobili sharing backup point guard duties will work well enough. Barry, Ginobili, Bowen and Finley can share the swingman minutes. Pop kept playing Udoka but he did go away from Vaughn for the most part. Udoka played better but I still would rather see Barry get those minutes. However, Pop may not want to play Barry more than 10 minutes at this point ... which is understandable. Plus Udoka helps when the Spurs want to go small.

-Don’t be overconfident with Hack-a-Shaq. It worked in Game 1 but I don’t think Pop should go back to that gimmick in Game 2. Teams that employ Hack-a-Shaq almost always lose. Game 1 was the exception to the rule – and that was mostly due to Mike D’Antoni panicking and removing O’Neal from the game. If the Suns are scoring too easily and the Spurs offense can’t keep up, then Hack-a-Shaq might be worthwhile. But Pop shouldn’t just use it because it worked before.:td

Pop helped out the Suns by going to Hack-a-Shaq in the third quarter. The Spurs had the Suns on the ropes but instead of piling on while Nash was getting his rest, the Spurs handed over free points.

-Don’t overplay the Big Three. I know they got a lot of rest but I think the physical and mental toll of Game 1 will still carry over to Game 2. Duncan and Parker shouldn’t play more than 40 minutes. Ginobili shouldn’t play more than 35 minutes. As long as the game is relatively close, Pop needs to use that time to let the Big Three rest.Pop did a good job limiting Parker and Ginobili's minutes but he overplayed Duncan. Duncan was dead tired at the end of the game. The last three or four minutes Duncan was running on empty.

On to Game 3 ........