PDA

View Full Version : You guys have to hear...

angel_luv
04-22-2008, 11:34 AM
My pastor's reference to Saturday's Spurs game.

The whole sermon is worth listening to but the part I am referring to begins at the mark 20:08

Seriously, listen. You'll like it! :)

http://www.livingwaychurchsa.org/media/brandon_fender_audio_sermons.htm

BacktoBasics
04-22-2008, 11:39 AM
I will not fall for these subliminal messages.

angel_luv
04-22-2008, 11:41 AM
I will not fall for these subliminal messages.

Dude- you're missing out. :)

remingtonbo2001
04-22-2008, 11:44 AM
:lol Is there any doubt God is Spurs fan.

BTW, good analogies.

BacktoBasics
04-22-2008, 11:54 AM
I haven't gotten all the way through it but this is exactly the why this world has problems. I'm not trying to open up an arguement either.

Great points and excellent direction but its all about where god needs you to go and how gods plan has laid the path for you to move forward and how its all related to god and some "plan". This in fact disables people from simply thinking under their own direction and power to press on and be successful under their own free will. To eliminate the ability to rationally function without some larger power has put a crippling crutch on most of society.

Its good to hear a great point but its upsetting to hear the delivery and its premise.

Los Spurs
04-22-2008, 11:57 AM
My pastor's reference to Saturday's Spurs game.

The whole sermon is worth listening to but the part I am referring to begins at the mark 20:08

Seriously, listen. You'll like it! :)

http://www.livingwaychurchsa.org/media/brandon_fender_audio_sermons.htm

Thanks for sharing :flag:

BacktoBasics
04-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Does this guy ever take a breath......sip of water, something.

angel_luv
04-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Does this guy ever take a breath......sip of water, something.

:lol
He's awesome. He and his wife are two of my best friends.

angel_luv
04-22-2008, 12:21 PM
I haven't gotten all the way through it but this is exactly the why this world has problems. I'm not trying to open up an arguement either.

Great points and excellent direction but its all about where god needs you to go and how gods plan has laid the path for you to move forward and how its all related to god and some "plan". This in fact disables people from simply thinking under their own direction and power to press on and be successful under their own free will. To eliminate the ability to rationally function without some larger power has put a crippling crutch on most of society.

Its good to hear a great point but its upsetting to hear the delivery and its premise.

I understand what you are saying.
But if you believe God is the Creator and believe you are His child, isn't it natural that He has dreams for you and wants to smooth your way in life?

Or to stick with the sports analogy, does Coach diminish Timmy by drawing out game plans for the team? No, he helps bring out the best in Tim.

God wants to help you. He is not out to hinder you.

Fillmoe
04-22-2008, 12:29 PM
i rather listen to barak obamas pastor

BonnerDynasty
04-22-2008, 12:49 PM
He's good.

I'm not religious but a lot of what these pastors talk about (inspiration, morals, fighting through pain, etc) are great things parents should be saying to raise successful, happy, strong kids.

BacktoBasics
04-22-2008, 01:06 PM
I understand what you are saying.
But if you believe God is the Creator and believe you are His child, isn't it natural that He has dreams for you and wants to smooth your way in life?

Or to stick with the sports analogy, does Coach diminish Timmy by drawing out game plans for the team? No, he helps bring out the best in Tim.

God wants to help you. He is not out to hinder you.I see your point.

Its that people as a whole over time have come to expect less of their own ability and free will because of "gods plan" and his "path". I guess it just comes with the territory of a lazy do nothing society that expects things to be handed to them rather than having the free will to invoke change. The pastor has it right he's just leading people to believe its gods will not their own that can make it all happen.

remingtonbo2001
04-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Its that people as a whole over time have come to expect less of their own ability and free will because of "gods plan" and his "path". I guess it just comes with the territory of a lazy do nothing society that expects things to be handed to them rather than having the free will to invoke change. The pastor has it right he's just leading people to believe its gods will not their own that can make it all happen.

It seems your dissatisfaction isn't with the premise of God and His promise to mankind, but rather with the imperfection of the individual.

I'm not sure how a message of "two steps foward, one step back" equates to laziness, or provides an individual with the opportunity to be lazy.

I thought the sermon amplified the freedom of choice and the opportunity to maximizes each choice through God.

I'm not sure if people have succumb to the will of God, as much as they attempt to find a corrilation between the will of God and their lives.

angel_luv
04-22-2008, 01:40 PM
I think Basic's point was about people who are all " faith" but no work ethic.

I didn't hear any excusing that in the sermon, but I have met enough of the people Basic described to understand his ( ?) annoyance with them.

BacktoBasics
04-22-2008, 01:51 PM
I think Basic's point was about people who are all " faith" but no work ethic.

I didn't hear any excusing that in the sermon, but I have met enough of the people Basic described to understand his ( ?) annoyance with them.Exactly!

I'm obviously not religious nor believe in god but I understand what the pastor is teaching. The problem is that he's using god as the backbone or source for the ability to accomplish. If I were a preacher I'd preach the power of man not the miracle abilities god would have to guide us.

Its got lost in translation many years ago. Gods power or the power in belief vs. our own power to overcome life's challenges.

Its become the excuse of mankind.....

"if it wasn't meant to be then it wasn't meant to be"

or

"if god didn't want (it/anything) to happen then thats why it didn't"

or

"if its in gods plan then it will work itself out"

These are the kinds of lines that are spoken out of a preaching like that. Even though that may not have been what he's trying to show the people.

A few lines from the sermon inparticular that I don't like:

"A miracle is god doing anything you can't do"

"A miracle is god stepping in when you can't"

"God will delivery you out of tough spot"

These take the responsibility out of mans hands.

lebomb
04-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Im a christian and love the lord, but I do not put a whole lotta weight on what at pastor says. I mean, I take what he is saying, but keep one eye open. Pastors are still just men, and Ive seen alot do exactly what they preach for a person not to do. :rolleyes

T Park
04-22-2008, 02:01 PM
god you people, you see the title,

if you dont like it, stay the fuck out.

How freakin tough is that?

remingtonbo2001
04-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Alright, alright.

I think I agree with the majority of your premise B2B, just conflicting views on some finer details....

I'll look at the Universe and realize there are somethings which I can't fathom, at least not at this point in time and space. I think the same observation can be made about certain situations in life. If I were to concede to this inability and put my faith in God, would I be considered lazy?

BacktoBasics
04-22-2008, 02:03 PM
god you people, you see the title,

if you dont like it, stay the fuck out.

How freakin tough is that?
So why are you here then?

BacktoBasics
04-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Alright, alright.

I think I agree with the majority of your premise B2B, just conflicting views on some finer details....

I'll look at the Universe and realize there are somethings which I can't fathom, at least not at this point in time and space. I think the same observation can be made about certain situations in life. If I were to concede to this inability and put my faith in God, would I be considered lazy?Possibly. I've never had a problem with faith or the belief in god regardless of how plain and simple it seems to me. I have a problem with people failing to accomplish lifes tasks (easy or difficult) because they couldn't draw their own strength to achieve. Then excuse it away with the "it wasn't meant to be" garbage. If god has done anything for you people its bless you with the ability to utilize free will and determination. This is where church failed long ago. It (pastors/ministers/nuns) never stopped and realized the power of person or man and preach to those strengths vs. the so called "supernatural" abilities of god and need for you to believe to survive or have meaning.

T Park
04-22-2008, 02:09 PM
So why are you here then?

Im not the one changing the thread to spout BS and boring views.

If you want pontificate on how there is no god and other tired rhetoric, take it somewhere else.

remingtonbo2001
04-22-2008, 02:11 PM

If you want pontificate on how there is no god and other tired rhetoric, take it somewhere else.

What!?!

fatsack
04-22-2008, 02:15 PM
I know another big spurs fan...

http://whtt.org/images/1380HageeFlag.jpg

BacktoBasics
04-22-2008, 02:16 PM

If you want pontificate on how there is no god and other tired rhetoric, take it somewhere else.You're a fucking idiot. We aren't arguing that here at all. The dicussion is something completely different. Not once did this ever take a god is real or not real turn. Why don't you fucking read the thread before opening your fat hole.

T Park
04-22-2008, 02:20 PM
You're a fucking idiot. We aren't arguing that here at all. The dicussion is something completely different. Not once did this ever take a god is real or not real turn. Why don't you fucking read the thread before opening your fat hole.

My my...

So you didn't change the thread from the pastor's message to your pontificating about pastor's messages?

Why don't you fucking keep the thread on the original path .

Btw not fat anymore so you guys are really gonna have to get new material to insult me tough guys.

BacktoBasics
04-22-2008, 02:22 PM
My my...

So you didn't change the thread from the pastor's message to your pontificating about pastor's messages?

Why don't you fucking keep the thread on the original path .

Btw not fat anymore so you guys are really gonna have to get new material to insult me tough guys.Well you have a fat mouth that'll never change.

If Angel wanted me to STFU then I would have. She indulged my point and we expanded on it. I never insulted her thread and as a matter of fact I agreed with what the pastor was preaching. You're too stupid to understand that. I never disagreed with or bashed this thread wiseass.

T Park
04-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Well you have a fat mouth that'll never change.

If Angel wanted me to STFU then I would have. She indulged my point and we expanded on it. I never insulted her thread and as a matter of fact I agreed with what the pastor was preaching. You're too stupid to understand that. I never disagreed with or bashed this thread wiseass.

Fat mouth.

How intelligent.

Did you consult the thesaurus for that?

04-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Both of you need to shut-up.

HighLowLobForBig-50
04-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Possibly. I've never had a problem with faith or the belief in god regardless of how plain and simple it seems to me. I have a problem with people failing to accomplish lifes tasks (easy or difficult) because they couldn't draw their own strength to achieve. Then excuse it away with the "it wasn't meant to be" garbage. If god has done anything for you people its bless you with the ability to utilize free will and determination. This is where church failed long ago. It (pastors/ministers/nuns) never stopped and realized the power of person or man and preach to those strengths vs. the so called "supernatural" abilities of god and need for you to believe to survive or have meaning.

i understand both points. my 2 cents would have to be that some christians, like myself, are trying to build a foundation that is the total opposite of "life tasks". nothing i accomplish here would matter if i died in 10 minutes, or 10 years. so i give this life to god as much as i possibly can, in hopes that my unworldly foundation will lead to much more than anything on earth