PDA

View Full Version : Garnett Wins DPOY

1Parker1
04-22-2008, 01:19 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8060680?MSNHPHMA

NEW YORK (AP) - Boston's Kevin Garnett won the NBA's defensive player of the year award Tuesday. He beat out Denver's Marcus Camby and Houston's Shane Battier.

Garnett helped the Celtics to league-best records of 66-16 (.805) overall and 31-10 (.738) on the road. Boston held opponents to just 90.3 points (second in the NBA) after allowing 99.2 points per game a season ago. The Celtics had the biggest one-year turnaround in NBA history.

Garnett received 493 points, including 90 first-place votes. Camby, who won the award last season, finished second with 178 points and Battier had 175 points.

What's sad is Camby came in 2nd, and Battier 3rd. No mention of Bruce at all in the running this year :depressed

In fact I think Battier may even take his place on the All NBA Defensive team as well...

Texas_Ranger
04-22-2008, 01:21 PM
All I can say is: :madrun

Supreme_Being
04-22-2008, 01:21 PM
What a surprise?

WildcardManu
04-22-2008, 01:22 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8060680?MSNHPHMA

NEW YORK (AP) - Boston's Kevin Garnett won the NBA's defensive player of the year award Tuesday. He beat out Denver's Marcus Camby and Houston's Shane Battier.

Garnett helped the Celtics to league-best records of 66-16 (.805) overall and 31-10 (.738) on the road. Boston held opponents to just 90.3 points (second in the NBA) after allowing 99.2 points per game a season ago. The Celtics had the biggest one-year turnaround in NBA history.

Garnett received 493 points, including 90 first-place votes. Camby, who won the award last season, finished second with 178 points and Battier had 175 points.

What's sad is Camby came in 2nd, and Battier 3rd. No mention of Bruce at all in the running this year :depressed

In fact I think Battier may even take his place on the All NBA Defensive team as well...

I thought the Celts finished first in opponent scoring. Did the Spurs or Pistons get first?

WalterBenitez
04-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Since Boston is the fashionable team .. probably some thropies will go there ...

tp2021
04-22-2008, 01:23 PM
I expected Bruce to not win, which is an atrocity in it of itself, but...Battier taking his spot on the All-Defensive team? You can't take that away from the man! GAY!

WildcardManu
04-22-2008, 01:23 PM
All I can say is: :madrun

The award is a joke, there should be no reason to get mad. Unless Bowen can leap in the air in a single bound and block shots and make it look good for ESPN highlights, it's not gonna happen.

jack sommerset
04-22-2008, 01:27 PM
Garnett is a bad,bad man. I think they got it right.

Crookshanks
04-22-2008, 01:28 PM
What's hilarious is Camby coming in 2nd - when everyone knows Denver plays NO defense!

Oh well Bruce - just win another championship and let KG have his regular season award! I hope we meet the Celtics in the Finals and Bruce totally shuts them down just to show what a joke that award really is!

T Park
04-22-2008, 01:30 PM
So the writers feel Battier is a better defensive player than Bowen now?

haha

morons..

Mister Sinister
04-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Bah!

honestfool84
04-22-2008, 01:41 PM
this is a bunch of http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/3650/watusibullzu9.jpg http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9727/bullhw9.jpg

Brutalis
04-22-2008, 01:43 PM
What a joke. Even 2nd and 3rd place. It's obvious this award is just birthday cake for anyone to have.

Kori Ellis
04-22-2008, 01:46 PM
2007-08 NBA DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR PRESENTED BY KIA MOTORS RESULTS

Player, Team 1st 2nd 3rd Pts
Kevin Garnett, Boston 90 12 7 493
Marcus Camby, Denver 12 32 22 178
Shane Battier, Boston 11 33 21 175
Bruce Bowen, San Antonio 7 7 24 80
Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers -- 10 10 40
Josh Smith, Atlanta 1 6 11 34
Chris Paul, New Orleans 1 4 7 24
Dwight Howard, Orlando 1 4 7 24
Tim Duncan, San Antonio -- 6 4 22
Tayshaun Prince, Detroit -- 3 4 13
Tyson Chandler, New Orleans 1 1 2 10
Rasheed Wallace, Detroit -- 3 -- 9
Richard Hamilton, Detroit -- 1 -- 3
Samuel Dalembert, Philadelphia -- 1 -- 3
Raja Bell, Phoenix -- 1 -- 3
Rajon Rondo, Boston -- -- -- 1
Chauncey Billups, Detroit -- -- 1 1
Kyle Lowry, Memphis -- -- 1 1
Ron Artest, Sacramento -- -- 1 1
Andrei Kirilenko, Utah -- -- 1 1

The_Game
04-22-2008, 01:48 PM
you have got to be a complete moron to be angry at this decision

KG has been amazing defensively this year on the BEST defensive team.

stop being such homers. Bruce is still a very good defender but not what he was...he is not the best defender in the NBA. Being dirty doesn't make you the best defender

Quiet Strength
04-22-2008, 01:51 PM

stop being such homers. Bruce is still a very good defender but not what he was...he is not the best defender in the NBA. Being dirty doesn't make you the best defender

I agree with everything except about bruce being dirty. Bowen is a great defender but this year hasn't been his greatest defensive year. Congrats to KG for the award!

Nikos
04-22-2008, 01:59 PM
KG easily deserves this. He is the anchor of the best defensive team in basketball.

lefty
04-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Who fucking cares.

He can get his individual awards.

We'll get the :lobt:

Los Spurs
04-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Congrats to Mr. Overrated

T Park
04-22-2008, 02:07 PM

being dirty?

Are you a fucking moron or somethin?

Rhetorical question I know...

The_Game
04-22-2008, 02:10 PM
being dirty?

Are you a fucking moron or somethin?

Rhetorical question I know...

Anyone with a freaking brain knows Bruce is a dirty player. He is of course a top draw defensive player but you have to be a complete moron to think he doesn't play dirty basketball at times during games.

he does what it takes to win....like they did in the 80's

Crookshanks
04-22-2008, 02:13 PM
If coaches voted instead of idiot sportswriters, we'd probably see a different outcome. Ask the coaches who their best players hate to play against - I'll bet it's not KG or Shane Battier. And it's most certainly not Marcus Camby!

Cry Havoc
04-22-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm pissed about Camby being there.... DPOY candidate on perhaps the worst defensive team in a decade? There are no words for that level of incompetence.

Garnett deserved it, but the fact that Bruce isn't even in the top 3 is sad. He will go down as the best defender ever not to win a DPOY.

BiZNicK
04-22-2008, 02:38 PM
1st of all, this isnt the an award for the best defensive TEAM which people keep bringing up. It's an individual award so don't even say "well his team plays no defense". If you put Bowen on the Sonics...would you say he's now not a good defender because the rest of his team isn't? No.

2nd. Who the hell gave Chris Paul 1st and 2nd place votes, LOL. He's not even top 10.

3rd. Garnett doesn't gaurd all 5 opponents on the court. Until he does, using the arguement that he deserves it because he's the best defender on the statistically the best defensive team is irrelevant. I'm sure they can play defense without Garnett.

4th. The voting panel for this award is rETaRdeDe...look

Chris Paul, New Orleans 1 4 7 24
Tim Duncan, San Antonio -- 6 4 22

^^^^^^^^^

bostonguy
04-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Big fucking deal. So the big fucking vagina cricket won some shitty award. Why dont you man up and play with balls when it counts Garnett! Individual awards are shit and meaningless just like having the best record in basketball is. Again show me something in the later rounds KG. Until you do that, I give you an F- on your first season here in Boston!

hater
04-22-2008, 02:41 PM
did KG rip his shirt off when he heard the news?

Spurminator
04-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Remember the Defensive team is voted by the coaches, not writers, so this doesn't necessarily mean Battier will take Bowen's place on the first team.

Congrats to KG. This is the first time in a few years that I haven't thought the award was a total sham. I still hate thaty Bowen hasn't gotten this award multiple times but I can't really begrudge KG winning it.

Bob Lanier
04-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Not undeserved. He does anchor by far the best defensive team in the NBA.

Overrated in his overall game? Yeah, very. But he's a pretty damn good defender, and a much better choice than Marcus "36&8" Camby.

Duncan has deserved at least three DPOY awards in his career, but this year isn't necessarily one of them. And his sidekick Bowen absolutely does not deserve one.

Some of the choices are just wacked out, though, besides Camby coming in second. Chris Paul and Chauncey fucking Billups? Howard ahead of Duncan? No Yao?

CubanMustGo
04-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Bruce didn't have his "A" game this year (nor did he have it in Game #1). Garnett is the logical choice.

Mamby-Camby second, tho, is an atrocity nearly as bad as having that fucking idiot win the award last year.

JamStone
04-22-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm pretty sure they don't lock in positions for all-defense like they do for the all star game. And, even if they did, I'm sure they could slide Bowen to guard for purposes of the all defense teams.

Kobe Bryant
Bruce Bowen
Shane Battier
Kevin Garnett
Marcus Camby

Rummpd
04-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Duncan is so superior to Camby as a defender and blocked more shots and got many more rebounds than Garnett. Oh well it was Garnett's "pub year" and his team did improve, but watch and learn in the playoffs in the post, and when it truly counts, Duncan will shut things down better than anyone.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-22-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm fine with KG winning. That's probably as it should. But Camby? WTF? I'm actually angrier about his getting 2nd than I was about him winning last year, and I was livid about that. DPOY used to be the award that really singled out great players who did things right that didn't get a ton of press. Now it's a flashing neon sign advertising how fucking stupid the voters are.

sabar
04-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Of all the media awards none bugs me more than DPOY. Seriously, WHAT IS MARCUS CAMBY DOING UP THERE? The media is so retarded, all they look at is blocked shots and steals. What about contesting jumpers? Defending the pick-and-roll? Taking charges? Deflections? Keeping passing lanes clogged?

Of course, the media doesn't actually watch anything other than the final score and there is no stat for all those things. This award is such a joke. A defensive player is someone you fear or struggle scoring against. Who the heck fears shooting a jumper with Marcus Camby or Chris Paul on you? Kobe/Duncan should be way past those clowns. No coach is going to pick Camby to anchor their defense. And what about Yao?

Why does the media even vote on this? At least Garnett is a defender unlike the joke DPOYs of the previous few years.

Ockham
04-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Garnett has been terrific defensively this year. I can't begrudge him this award.

That being said, I just think it's a sad fact that the Duncan/Bowen-era spurs have showcased one of the best defenses of all time, with those two qualifying as two of the greatest defensive players in NBA history, yet it's likely that neither player will have a DPOY to his credit.

DAF86
04-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Anyone with a freaking brain knows Bruce is a dirty player. He is of course a top draw defensive player but you have to be a complete moron to think he doesn't play dirty basketball at times during games.

he does what it takes to win....like they did in the 80's

Now I get it, you're an undercover troll. That's why you also said:

stop overrating Manu. He isn't that great. He has taken a step back this year. It's highly debatable if he is better than barbosa.

:loser

ambchang
04-22-2008, 05:15 PM
The award has been a joke ever since Mutombo won the award 4 times.

Spurs Brazil
04-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Battier in front of Bruce is a f-- joke

Spurminator
04-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Actually, as I think about it some more, this pisses me off too, because Garnett just won an award for all of the reasons Duncan should have won it at some point in the past.

Fuck this award. :bang

dimsah
04-22-2008, 06:21 PM
How can any of you say KG deserves this because he's on the best defensive team when the Spurs have been one of the best defensive teams in the past decade without a single DPOY winner?

PlayoffEx-static
04-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Battier in front of Bruce is a f-- joke

Not nearly as much as Chris the human turnstile Paul finishing ahead of Duncan. That really tells you all you need to know about the people that vote for this award, and frankly, the award itself.

adidas11
04-22-2008, 06:46 PM
How in the F did AK47 finish so low in the voting??

PlayoffEx-static
04-22-2008, 06:50 PM
How in the F did AK47 finish so low in the voting??

Because he blocks most of his shots from behind...after his man blows by him. His own coach has even called him out. Being a gambler doesn't make you a great defender.

Admidave50
04-22-2008, 07:35 PM
This award is a fucking joke

O-Factor
04-22-2008, 07:52 PM
So the writers feel Battier is a better defensive player than Bowen now?

haha

morons..

I don't expect Bruce to ever win DPOY, but do I expect him to be 1st Team All Defense. Not Battier??? WTF!

Oh well, lets win a :lobt:

pooh
04-22-2008, 08:21 PM
When I first heard that Garnett won the award, the first thing I thought of was..."I wonder how long it will take for Spurs fans to start whinning about how come it's not Bowen." Look, he just happened to be in a time where there were better defenders, Artest, Wallace, etc. It's not that he's not good, he makes the all-defense teams each year, it's just that he doesn't have that "aura" like, "oh my god, it's Artest, or Big Ben, etc." It's a good thing and a bad thing. He's respected by his peers and other players in the league know how good he is, he's just a little short of that "something" to put him over the top that's all.

Indazone
04-22-2008, 08:24 PM
yay! the Rockets finished ahead of the Spurs in one thing!

21_Blessings
04-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Garnett: Better than Duncan

TDMVPDPOY
04-22-2008, 08:52 PM
instead of lookn at stats this year, they look at impact

fok them, duncan should have at least 4 of them by now if you follow with this years decision makn, fukn load of bs

duncan looms, he be pssd now,