PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins reach contract agreement to make Long top overall pick

Horry For 3!
04-22-2008, 01:23 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d807e7335&template=with-video&confirm=true

After weeks of speculation, the Miami Dolphins have made their intentions with the top pick in the NFL Draft known.

The Dolphins have reached an agreement with former Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long on a five-year, $57.5 million contract that includes $30 million in guaranteed money, reports NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

Miami general manager Jeff Ireland made the announcement from a team press conference, along with Long and head coach Tony Sparano.

"I'm very excited and honored to be able to be a part of the Miami Dolphins organization," said Long. "I want to thank my agents and the Miami Dolphins for getting this done. Now I can just concentrate on football."

The Dolphins have been in negotiations with the representatives for Long, discussing contract parameters while attempting to keep their intentions with the top pick hidden.

"Jake was our guy from the beginning," said Ireland. "I don't make it a habit of telling you what's on our board, but he was on top of the board from the beginning. … There wasn't a whole lot of debate. We all felt comfortable with the player."

The draft will be the first in Miami for the regime led by executive VP of football operations Bill Parcells, Ireland and Sparano after the Dolphins went 1-15 last year. Miami has nine picks, including four of the first 64.

The 6-foot-7, 315-pound Long was a two-time All-American and a three-time Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year. He started 40 games during his college career, and finished second in the voting for both the Lombardi Award and the Outland Trophy last season.

By agreeing to the deal prior to Saturday's draft, the Dolphins were able to avoid a prolonged holdout and ensure Long will be at training camp on time, a problem that has plagued past top overall picks. Last year's top pick, JaMarcus Russell, missed all of training camp before signing a $61 million contract with the Oakland Raiders.

degenerate_gambler
04-22-2008, 02:06 PM
I may be totally offbase, but I could've sworn I either read or heard in the last couple of weeks that Long did not want to be drafted by Miami.

703 Spurz
04-22-2008, 02:35 PM
I may be totally offbase, but I could've sworn I either read or heard in the last couple of weeks that Long did not want to be drafted by Miami.

Was bullshit

JamStone
04-22-2008, 03:31 PM
$30 million guaranteed can persuade a person to change his mind.

Dolphins still got a long way to go to building a decent team.

Evan
04-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Buzzkill for Dolphin fans but a solid OL is so crucial.

but everything just falls apart if you have a shitty OL.

Horry For 3!
04-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Dolphins needed an OL. They haven't had a solid OL in a long time.

djohn14
04-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah go Rams...Its Gholston...Chris Long...or Dorsey....probably Chris Long

Horry For 3!
04-22-2008, 11:39 PM
Yeah go Rams...Its Gholston...Chris Long...or Dorsey....probably Chris Long

I am thinkin Chris Long.

sa_butta
04-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Dolphins needed an OL. They haven't had a solid OL in a long time.
which is why our QB's get smashed all the time, If we are to have a mediocre QB back there we could at least give him time.

Evan
04-23-2008, 08:58 AM
what morons

they could have traded down for 2 picks and gotten 2 tackles for that money

Its a smart move.They got a number one pick and paid non first pick money. Still crazy money though.

And who exactly where they going to trade down to? How often are first picks traded and when they are traded the team has to give up so much to get the pick and there is no "over hyped franchise player" this year.

Again...smart move. Without a stud OL you have nothing since your RB and QB can't getting anything done.

I bet they move their #2 to get extra picks.

As for money...the rookie salary system is effing stupid anyway. Something needs to be done about it.

popshark86
04-29-2008, 03:41 PM
:lol :lol :lol :lol

highest-paid OL in the league

:lol :lol :lol :lol

what morons

they could have traded down for 2 picks and gotten 2 tackles for that money

:lmao
this is not madden