PDA

View Full Version : Yippee....more bowl games!!!

degenerate_gambler
04-22-2008, 02:18 PM
So 32 bowl games isn't enough. Good, cuz it looks like two more will be added to the 2008 season making it a grand total of 34. That means that about 55% of all D1 football teams will make it to a bowl game.

The St. Petersburg Bowl is tentatively scheduled to be played Dec 21 and matching the Big East vs. Conf. USA. If it's approved, it will give the B.E. seven bowl possibilities for the conference's eight teams. In 2007, 5 Big East teams had winning records. Conf. USA now has a possible 8 bowl tie-ins as well.

There is also the Congressional Bowl that will have either Navy or Army playing against an ACC team. In other words, Navy will take on an ACC team that is not going to the:

Toyota Gator Bowl
Chick-fil-A Peach
MPC Computers
Meineke Car Care
Emerald
Gaylord Hotels Music City
Champs Sports

But hey, the ACC has 8 teams over .500 in 2007.

lebomb
04-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Still doesnt solve the problem of who the fuck is the national champ!!!! :rolleyes

Brutalis
04-22-2008, 02:47 PM
This is ridiculous. Now maybe Ole Miss can make a bowl if they get 5 wins.

Brutalis
04-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Still doesnt solve the problem of who the fuck is the national champ!!!! :rolleyes

Exactly. While they add Bowls the system is still fucked. I heard Congress is looking into the BCS... so if they did ... we got another 4 years before anything happens.

degenerate_gambler
04-22-2008, 03:13 PM

No it doesn't...

Like Brut said it just gives more mediocre teams a chance to play one more game in front of a half empty stadium..

With all these bowl games, I predict we'll start seeing more of these types of stories after all the smoke clears and the season is over...

http://thewizardofodds.blogspot.com/2008/04/where-bowl-money-really-goes.html

Where the Bowl Money Really Goes

About that big bowl payout Texas Tech was to receive for its postseason trip to Jacksonville for the Jan. 1 Gator Bowl. Despite a bowl payout of $2.5 million, the university was left with a tab of $202,240.

How can this be? First, the check is made out to the Big 12, not Texas Tech. The bowl "profits" are then dispersed among conference members along with a formula-based travel allowance for teams that participated in the postseason.

In Texas Tech's case, it was given a bowl appearance fee of $925,000 and an additional $239,198 in reimbursement for travel.

As part of the Gator Bowl deal, Texas Tech had to sell 12,000 tickets. It sold about half that number and was stuck with a bill of nearly $74,000. But the biggest expense came for the official party of 750 that traveled from Lubbock to Jacksonville. It gobbled up 95% of the "profits" for transportation, lodging, meals, awards and extras compensation for staff.

One top of that came promotion and advertising, media guides and training room supplies.

Texas Tech is not alone. Although it has been reported that Hawaii will receive $4,385,555 for its participation in the Jan. 1 Sugar Bowl, it will net approximately $2.2 million after expenses.

Posted by dawizofodds at 3:58 AM

lebomb
04-22-2008, 03:22 PM
True degenerate gambler.....but, I was pissed about last season....I truly do not know if LSU was the champ. I feel it could have been numerous teams. Just because they played OSU good, doesnt make up for the fact that they lost twice and probably should have lost 2 more games (even though they pulled it out). Any TEAM can win on ANY given day. Without some type of tournament......its all bullshit!!!!

SrA Husker
04-22-2008, 09:46 PM
For teams like Texas Tech that have a tab after a bowl game, it's THEIR OWN DAMN FAULT!

Fact - They sold not even half the tickets they were supposed to.

Fact - Who the fuck needs a travelling party of 750??? That's 1/12 of all tickets they were supposed to sell, and with texas tech, about 1/4 of what they actually did!

As far as more bowl games, why does anyone care? It's not like you watch the early december bowl games to begin with. And the college football fan always complains how there's not enough to the season... now you have one more game you can 'watch' before it's all over

MajorMike
04-23-2008, 08:23 AM
That's sort of suprising for me, actually. When ttek went to the Holiday the travelled VERY well.