PDA

View Full Version : Skins offer '08 first-rounder, '09 pick for Johnson; Cincy says no

leemajors
04-22-2008, 04:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3358557

How serious are the Cincinnati Bengals about not giving in to Chad Johnson's trade demands?

Serious enough to swat away an offer from the Washington Redskins that could have netted the Bengals two first-round draft picks, team and league sources said.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, who initially denied the team had received offers for Johnson during a Tuesday news conference, confirmed to ESPN that Cincinnati turned down Washington's offer of two picks.

"Once I actually read what was reported, I have to be truthful and say that the story is accurate," Lewis told ESPN. "Unfortunately, I didn't read it until after our press conference."

The Redskins offered its first-round pick, No. 21 overall, and a conditional third-rounder in 2009 that could escalate to a first rounder if Johnson and the Redskins hit certain performance levels, the sources said.

It was not the first time the Redskins approached the Bengals about a deal, but it was the first significant proposal.

Lewis says the disgruntled receiver should keep his word and sit out the season. "I've stated our case with Chad," Lewis said. "He has a contract through 2011. He's stated without an opportunity to go to a different team and a new contract, he wasn't going to play. I think he's a man of his word and says he's not going to play, so don't play."

The Bengals have not only rejected the Redskins, but two other NFC East suitors -- the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles -- have been informed that there has been no change in the team's position that Johnson will not be traded.

The Bengals have noted to those suitors that Johnson has been the "second-highest paid receiver" in the NFL during the past three years, indignant about suggestions that Johnson also wants a new contract, the sources said.

Trading Johnson also would mean Cincinnati would take an $8 million salary-cap hit, but that amount could be split over the next two years. Additionally, as one owner who wished to remain anonymous told ESPN.com, "There's nothing wrong with dead money. It's cash already paid and it's cash back in your pocket that you don't have to spend, especially with the [high] amount of everyone's salary cap these days."

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN. ESPN.com's James Walker also contributed to this report.

Evan
04-22-2008, 04:53 PM
There must be so much more to this...why wouldn't the Bengals be all over that?

Flight3107
04-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Because they are the Bungals

PlayoffEx-static
04-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Cincy takes a huge cap hit if they trade him before July, like $8M. I think they might ultimately trade him, but cap-o-nomics precludes it for now.