PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker, going to the all-star game?

S4Spur21
01-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Do you all think he will? He's having a great year for a PG

Ballcox
01-19-2005, 04:11 PM
You know, with his late push of consistent production he could possibly get in, at least I wouldn't be surprised if he got on the all-star roster. But, it will be tough, you've got to figure Nash gets one of those PG spots, after that some serious competition for the other one. I do think it helps Tony's cause that other PG's such as Baron Davis(injured), Sam Cassell(dinged up) aren't having great years, increases his chances of making the team. He's got my vote.

timvp
01-19-2005, 04:12 PM
I'd actually prefer that neither Manu nor Tony make the all-star team. I want them with a chip on their shoulder in the second half of the season. Plus the extra rest can't hurt.

Manu20
01-19-2005, 04:19 PM
Other than Nash, Bibby is the only PG who can beat Parker for an All Star spot.

FromWayDowntown
01-19-2005, 04:24 PM
I'd actually prefer that neither Manu nor Tony make the all-star team. I want them with a chip on their shoulder in the second half of the season. Plus the extra rest can't hurt.

Selfishly, I agree with that, but I think its a matter of time before one or both of them become all-stars. Tony is perilously close right now; if he puts it on Bibby on Sunday and/or Thursday, he may overtake that 2nd PG spot for the West.

I don't think the All-Star game is going to take much out of anyone, but Parker seems to be at his worst when he starts believing his positive press clippings; he seems to be at his best when his value is in question. Given that history, I'd much rather he be snubbed -- there will be hell to pay in the second half if he is, and that sounds really good to me.

Ballcox
01-19-2005, 04:24 PM
What kind of year has Bibby been having? I really haven't paid much attention to how he's doing/stats accumulated through the first half of the season. Also, when was the last time the Spurs had two players in the all-star game? Wasn't it when DR and Elliott made the team? Just wondering.

ShoogarBear
01-19-2005, 04:27 PM
Duncan and DRob made the A-S game together at least twice, maybe three times.

Medvedenko
01-19-2005, 04:29 PM
The only way TP is getting in is if Cassell, Bibby, Allen, Kobe, Bdavis and Nash are all injured.

Ballcox
01-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Thanks, I had a complete brain fart on that one. I need to get some sleep. :smokin

timvp
01-19-2005, 04:32 PM
The only way TP is getting in is if Cassell, Bibby, Allen, Kobe, Bdavis and Nash are all injured.

Must watch more basketball.

ShoogarBear
01-19-2005, 04:33 PM
Four down, two to go.

Manu20
01-19-2005, 04:34 PM

Cassell= sucks
Allen= 2guard
Kobe= 2guard
Davis= has not played enough
Nash= will make it

That only leaves bibby. I think he will make it.

S4Spur21
01-19-2005, 04:40 PM
Yea, i guess if TP gets too hot of himself he'll suck.

Ballcox
01-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Yeah, but we're talking PG's, right? Kobe and Allen are 2 guards, not PG's. At the PG spot, outside of Nash and possibly Bibby, TP has to be right up there for consideration(in the west). I know there are a lot of media types out there who'll say that TP has it easier because he plays with a dominant inside guy, maybe try to lessen his credibility for an all-star appearance. My take is, look at any number of good/great PG's, think they didn't have some help?

Magic had Kareem, Worthy and Scott on the break....
Stockton had some guy called the mailperson, can't remember his name....
Cheeks had Moses, Dr. J, Bobby Jones.....
Nash had Dirk and Finley, more recently Marion, Q and Stoudamire
Kidd had RJ and Martin

The list goes on and on for PG's. I just think TP has done a damn good job of running the offense, finding people in the right spots and basically running the team, he deserves an all-star spot.

Slomo
01-19-2005, 04:43 PM
I'm with Timvp on this one.

Kori Ellis
01-19-2005, 04:44 PM
The starters voted in are McGrady and Kobe so far. There's a chance that Kobe doesn't play. Nash and Ray Allen would be named by the coaches. But if Kobe doesn't play, who else would you take? Bibby? Tony? Manu?

FromWayDowntown
01-19-2005, 04:46 PM
Timmy and Dave played in 3 all-star games together -- 1998, 2000, 2001.

Extra Stout
01-19-2005, 04:53 PM
Cassell= sucks
Allen= 2guard
Kobe= 2guard
Davis= has not played enough
Nash= will make it

That only leaves bibby. I think he will make it.There is no differentiation between PG's and SG's when picking All-Stars. Neither is there a guarantee on how many guards get in. If Amare is considered a forward and Brad Miller gets picked as the second center, maybe just four guards get in.

Tim, KG, Amare, Dirk are locks. Peja is a near-lock. Then if you're a coach, would you pick Tony Parker over Shawn Marion or Rashard Lewis, or even Pau Gasol?

If five guards get in, Tony still has tough competition. Baron Davis has played just 17 games and is shooting 37%, so he's out. But Cassell's stats are almost identical to Tony's. Bibby's are comparable as well, as are Andre Miller's. Older veterans I suspect will get love over young guys. Michael Finley has played just 21 games, but likely would get the nod over Tony. Some coaches might be dazzled by Corey Maggette's stats and pick him.

Unless Bryant and Nash both sit out, and Amare is selected as a center, I can't see Tony making it.

Spurminator
01-19-2005, 04:55 PM
but Parker seems to be at his worst when he starts believing his positive press clippings; he seems to be at his best when his value is in question. Given that history, I'd much rather he be snubbed

Good point, I never thought of it that way. He struggled last year against the Lakers after the league dedicated the first 2 games as Tony Parker Week.

Granted, a lot of that also had to do with the Lakers shifting their defensive focus on Parker.

Useruser666
01-19-2005, 04:56 PM
The Lakers control the media though, very sneaky.

FromWayDowntown
01-19-2005, 05:24 PM
There is no differentiation between PG's and SG's when picking All-Stars. Neither is there a guarantee on how many guards get in. If Amare is considered a forward and Brad Miller gets picked as the second center, maybe just four guards get in.

That's true, to an extent. While there is no differentiation between PG and SG for all-star purposes, the league does mandate that at least 4 guards be selected: 2 must be picked as starters and the coaches must select 2 others in their voting. With Bryant and McGrady leading the voting, and Nash and Allen seeming locks, that would seem to cut against Parker.

BUT

When voting for backups, the league (I recall) relaxed the requirement of a backup center and permits the coaches to select a big who has played some center as a backup. I'd think that Amare (who has been playing center almost exclusively for PNX) will be the de facto backup center in the West. Dirk will be a backup forward and the coaches would, I think, vote Marion as the 2nd forward. [I would agree, though, that if Amare is not deemed a center (an asinine call, if it happens) then Parker's chances are pretty slim.]

Still, Assuming all of that to be true, the first 10 all-stars might be:

Yao
Duncan
Garnett
McGrady
Bryant
Nash
Allen
Marion
Nowitzki
Stoudemire

That leaves 2 more spots on a team that only has one PG (a PG who is injured, at least for the moment). I would think that the coaches would be under some pressure to add another PG, and I think it's fair to say that such a decision boils down, right now, to Bibby and Parker.

Frenchise player
01-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Let's try to see mlore clearly the selection:
the starting five is almost done : Kobe, Tmac, Garnett, Duncan and Yao.
Nash, Nowitzki, Stoudmire, Allen will be there too. There is 3 players left.
Even if we pick two more forward in a list with the following names: Marion, Webber, Lewis, Kirilenko, Stojakovic and Gasol. There is still one more spot because there will already 6 forwards (Ganett, Tim, Dirk, Amare and one of the others), you can't peak seven players for two spot.
What will be this last spot? The coaches may choose between another center who should be Miller and another PG and you can arguably say it will Tp because neither Davis nor Cassel are having good seasons and Bibby has the same stats of Parker but in a more offensive team. At least, I really believe Tp will make it if he continues at this pace.

Hard to say how it will affect tp game if he was selected.
You think that he will feel like he has achieved something and just rest after that.
He can also feel like he has new status and step up his game to show he has deserved it.
You have also to consider that he will be the first french player to make it and it will be great for french basket-ball (even if you don't give any importance to that)

Spurminator
01-19-2005, 05:26 PM
They'll invite at least one King, so if Peja doesn't make it due to the many deserving forwards, Bibby will probably be selected as the backup PG.

1Parker1
01-19-2005, 06:31 PM

"Four down, two to go"

:lol Very true Shoogarbear! I think I like Tony's odds of making the team even better now.

slayermin
01-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Realistically, I think only Tim will make it, though TP has been getting some buzz with this Eva Longoria situation.

This won't happen but I think it would be funny if half the team had to show up to All-Star weekend considering Pop dreads at the thought of going to Denver.

Pop - Coach
Tim - AS
TP - AS
Manu - AS
Beno - Rookie team and/or 3pt contest
Barry - 3pt contest
Devin - dunk contest

I don't think Brent or Devin qualify to participate on AS saturday, but it would be interesting if they did.

S4Spur21
01-19-2005, 06:46 PM
Even if Tony doesnt make it, he'll still be more rested, and from ^^^^, yes he'll have the desperate housewives chick! Always a + side!

S4Spur21
01-19-2005, 06:46 PM
Even if Tony doesnt make it, he'll still be more rested, and from ^^^^, yes he'll have the desperate housewives chick! Always a + side!

ALVAREZ6
01-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Devin - dunk contest

He would get destroyed in the dunk contest, not that he's a bad dunker, Devin is an excellent dunker.

To be in the dunk contest, 360 threw-the-legs is like a mininum dunk now a days....

J-Rich does it in his sleep.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-19-2005, 07:32 PM
No offense to the French Phenom, I'd rather see Manu in the All-Star game if a Spurs guard has to go.

He'd win MVP and be the league's new shining star after playing in that thing, he's totally playground.

1Parker1
01-19-2005, 07:40 PM
And Parker isn't playground? Parker has some pretty awesome AND1 moves too. Any1 recall his crossover move last year in the playoffs vs. LA that left Devean George in his socks and Shaq's head spinning?

Anyway, I wouldn't want Manu going to the AS game, with his luck, he'll end up injured while attempting to take on Shaq for a dunk :(

S4Spur21
01-19-2005, 07:55 PM
^^^^ he's crazy enough to do that. Thats why we all like him.....