PDA

View Full Version : Postgame Quotes: Spurs vs. Suns 4/22/2008

timaios
04-23-2008, 01:52 AM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/quotes_080422.html

Head Coach Gregg Popovich

On the game - Great win for us against a really good basketball team. Fortunately we were able to come back from the punch they gave us to start the game. I have to give our guys credit for showing great mental toughness and playing the game for 45 minutes. We managed to start scoring a little bit and we managed to get it done again.

On Finley and Udoka in the 3rd quarter - They were really impressive - we need everyone to score. Bench guys have to contribute, perimeter guys have to help you win, the entire game can’t be on the shoulders of your so-called stars. Teams win series because everyone participates offensively and defensively.

On the 3rd quarter - We played good defense but they also missed shots. They really knocked their shots down in the first quarter - you probably aren’t going to shoot 60% all the time. We just played better defense.

On stopping Amare Stoudemire - If we knew how we did it I wouldn’t tell you, I am just happy we did it.

On Hack-a-Shaq - The results were not mixed at all, he made some great percentage and he made the strategy look really stupid.

On team defense in 3rd quarter - We are trying to put different people on Steve so he doesn’t get used to different people guarding him. It is impossible to stay with in different situation. I feel we did as well as any human being could do and we just hang with him, he’s a load.

On Tony Parker - He stayed aggressive the entire evening, was very focused and didn’t worry about what we were running offensively. Tony stayed aggressive himself and did a great job of including other people while he was doing it.

Tony Parker

On his play - “I’m going to be aggressive regardless. That’s my mindset right now…I’m trying to be in attack mode, find my teammates and at the same time be aggressive going to the basket and putting pressure on the defense.”

On what it feels like to be knocked around by Shaq - “It was actually worse the first game. I’m OK though. I got kneed in my thigh and got elbowed but I think I’ll survive. I was just trying to go to the basket and he was just trying to play physical...that’s not going to stop us and we are going to keep being aggressive.”

On knowing how many times he hit the floor tonight - “I don’t know. It’d be funny to count how many times I was on the floor.”

On teams up 2-0 in a series winning 94% of the time - “We can’t be satisfied with that. You can win 6% too, in 2004 we were up 2-0 against the Lakers so it doesn’t mean anything and we just have to stay focused. Phoenix is a very, very good team. We did our job so now Phoenix is going to try and do their job and win two at home. We just can’t be satisfied.”

On the third quarter defense - “Yeah the third quarter we played great. The third quarter was where we won the game…they only scored 11 points and those 11 points included five free throws so we just played great defense during that quarter.”

On how being able to run and play up-tempo with the Suns changes the series - “You know it’s at home so obviously at home you are going to shoot the ball a little bit better and the crowd is going to help us. We’ll see if we can do the same thing in Phoenix. But we know that we have to score some points if we want to have any chance to beat them.”

On San Antonio’s points in the paint advantage - “We’ve always been a team that scores a lot of points in the paint. With myself and Manu and Timmy, we score a lot of points in the paint. So I don’t think it’s just confidence, it’s just that both teams want to be aggressive and try to get some easy baskets.”

On going down double digits for the second straight game - “We just have to focus and try to have a better start. We are having a hard time to start the game and so far it didn’t hurt us because we were able to come back in the game. But in Phoenix it’ll be a different story if we go down 15 points.”

Tim Duncan

On Phoenix Start tonight - “The Sun were on such a terror during the first half it seemed like they were hitting everything and we finally got a break. As they started missing more shot we got things together defensively. Obviously we hit some shots tonight that stretched out or lead a little bit.”

Michael Finley And Ime Udoka - “Both Michael and Ime came up huge for us tonight. Mike came off some really nice screens tonight and knocked down his shots. He also hit some very nice free throw line jumpers that helped out tonight. Ime was also a major contributor in tonight’s game.”

On Manu Ginobili And Tony Parker - “Manu and Tony are great in the lanes and that’s obviously were I live so a lot of our scoring comes from the paint. We need to continue to score our points in the paint and continue to put pressure on the Suns big players and try to get them in foul trouble as much as possible.”

On Suns Defense - “The Suns did a great job defensively tonight and were able to stay out of foul trouble. The Sun really didn’t make any bad mistakes and my poor shooting helped them out tonight.”

On Traveling to Phoenix - “Its not easy to walk in to Phoenix and win last year at this time we went into Phoenix up two games and came back two two. It a series all the way through and I don’t think anyone on this team feels like we will go four zero. We just need to play each game one day at a time.”

Robert Horry

On Personal Play - “I felt really good tonight and honestly I’m just happy to get some minutes on the court. I was amazed that I didn’t shot an air ball tonight. I did miss tonight but I didn’t shot any air balls.”

On Guarding Shaq - “It felt really good to get a block on Shaq tonight. I have been known to sneak in a block every now and again. I played with Shaq for seven years and I kind of know his tendencies plus I just happened to be in the right spot at the right time.”

Head Coach Mike D'Antoni

On the game - Obviously the 3rd quarter did us in, we didn’t look good – we looked like we panicked. Give the Spurs credit on defense because they did a great job. We had our chances on free throws and chippies - you have to make those shots. We dug ourselves too deep of a hole but we had a chance at the end. We were able to cut it to 13 with three or four minutes but couldn’t manage to make the big shots we needed. The intensity was good and I felt we played really hard but they are the champs and they did a great job. It was really nothing that they did different tonight. We had chances the other night we got beat. They held serve on their floor, if we are going to beat them we have to do the same thing for a game five Our team has a lot of work ahead but we’re not discouraged. We have shown we can be there and win quarters but we sometimes just come out flat.

Amare Stoudemire

On the Spurs’ defense in the third quarter - “They played great defense there in the third quarter. We missed some shots that we normally make, but all-in-all they played pretty good defense in the third.”

“I think for the most part we kept our composure in the third, fought back in the fourth and just didn’t have enough fire power down the stretch.”

“Sometimes the shots don’t fall. They played great defense there in the second half, but shots that we normally make didn’t fall for us. They took advantage of that. It’s a story of both halves. First half we played well, second half they played well they got the win.”

On their confidence level - “You gotta stay confident. That’s the name of the game, in order to win you have to be confident and correct your mistakes. We had chances to win out there and just didn’t execute. We had a lead and were in control for a big part of the game and just couldn’t come through, so we gotta figure it out.”

On stopping Manu or Tony - “We gotta stop Manu or Tony or Mike Finley. Those guys always give a spark and that’s something we have to control. We gotta try and stop those guys. They score the ball too well. In the first half their big three had 50 of their 54 points. That’s totally unheard of. For the most part I think we did a good job on Tim, but we gotta find a way to get a win.”

Leandro Barbosa

On his performance tonight - “I think it was a bad day for me. I couldn’t make my shots. Forget about this game and move on.”

On Parker and Ginobili - “I think if we can get both of them away from the basket it would be better. We have to do something…make some adjustments so they don’t do that well at our home. We’re still positive and I think everything is going to be okay.”

Grant Hill

On the Spurs performance tonight - “They did what they were supposed to do, they won at home. Now we have to go do what we’re supposed to do and win at home. Come Friday we’ll be ready.”

“The two game were two different games. I think we just fell apart there in the third quarter. I don’t really have an answer to that right this second. The first game was just sort of great play after great play down the stretch, and they were fortunate there in the second overtime. We’ve done some good things and some things we haven’t done so well. We just have to keep our composure and understand it’s a long game and there are going to be runs, and we they happen it’s not the end of the world.”

On stopping Manu and Tony - “I think the whole league is trying to do that right now. We’ll continue to try and make adjustments. I think there were some things we learned that worked and some things that didn’t work.”

freemeat
04-23-2008, 02:03 AM
On teams up 2-0 in a series winning 94% of the time - “We can’t be satisfied with that. You can win 6% too, in 2004 we were up 2-0 against the Lakers so it doesn’t mean anything and we just have to stay focused. Phoenix is a very, very good team. We did our job so now Phoenix is going to try and do their job and win two at home. We just can’t be satisfied.”

My love for TP just went up a notch.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-23-2008, 02:05 AM
TD was wrong about last year. Spurs won game 1 in PHX, got blow out in game 2, then won game 3, then lost game 4 to make it 2-2

DAF86
04-23-2008, 02:11 AM
We are trying to put different people on Steve so he doesn’t get used to different people guarding him. It is impossible to stay with in different situation.

I guess that Pop likes to read to "Aaronstampler" :lol

http://www.spursdynasty.com/

Kori Ellis
04-23-2008, 02:15 AM
I guess that Pop likes to read to "Aaronstampler" :lol

http://www.spursdynasty.com/

:lol Or Aaron just heard what Pop said before the series even started about the plan was to throw a bunch of different guys at Nash. :lol

DAF86
04-23-2008, 02:17 AM
:lol Or Aaron just heard what Pop said before the series even started about the plan was to throw a bunch of different guys at Nash. :lol

That makes more sense :lol

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-23-2008, 02:18 AM
TD was wrong about last year. Spurs won game 1 in PHX, got blow out in game 2, then won game 3, then lost game 4 to make it 2-2

Eh, he's been in so many playoff games. Give him a break :lol

He was just trying to go into "moral of the story" mode.

Kori Ellis
04-23-2008, 02:19 AM
If you guys want to hear the interviews, so you can see what questions they are answering exactly - they are here in the sidebar ...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042308.01E.BKNspurs.suns.gamer.3cb6ed8.html

Plus KT, Udoka, Bowen.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-23-2008, 02:20 AM
That makes more sense :lol

Pop's a fraud.
How pathetic is that? scrambling internet blogsfor coaching stategies in nights before games.

DAF86
04-23-2008, 02:20 AM
If you guys want to hear the interviews, so you can see what questions they are answering exactly - they are here in the sidebar ...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042308.01E.BKNspurs.suns.gamer.3cb6ed8.html

Plus KT, Udoka, Bowen.

Thanks

DAF86
04-23-2008, 02:24 AM
Pop's a fraud.
How pathetic is that? scrambling internet blogsfor coaching stategies in nights before games.

:lol

But seriously, if a coach does this, would that make of him a bad coach or a good coach that's willing to do what ever it takes to improve his team?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-23-2008, 02:32 AM
:lol

But seriously, if a coach does this, would that make of him a bad coach or a good coach that's willing to do what ever it takes to improve his team?
I don't know about paying attention to internet stuff, but I think a good coach knows he can still get better and improve as a coach.

I'd have to say far Pop's gotten better as a coach through the years, and he's really been showing it these first two games. The game 1 game he did about everything right.

smeagol
04-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Leandro Barbosa

On Parker and Ginobili - “I think if we can get both of them away from the basket it would be better. ”

No shit!

WalterBenitez
04-23-2008, 10:52 AM
I am not player, but i'd be hard to make a statement after losing a game :lol

HighLowLobForBig-50
04-23-2008, 10:56 AM
kerr must have told snaq to shut his mouth