PDA

View Full Version : Gutsy Nash Always Gives His All...But Is It Enough?

duncan228
04-23-2008, 10:02 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8059366/Gutsy-Nash-always-gives-his-all-...-but-is-it-enough

Gutsy Nash always gives his all ... but is it enough?
by Mark Kriegel

The Phoenix Suns and the San Antonio Spurs offer that rarest of first-round series — as compelling a pairing as any the sport has to offer. What's more, it's even better now — with the addition of Shaquille O'Neal — than it was a year ago, when these teams met in the conference semifinals. That series began — some might argue, ended — with a spectacularly violent collision between Steve Nash and Tony Parker.

The resulting wound — a deep cut across the bridge of Nash's nose — proved resistant to conventional dressings. Nash didn't need a trainer so much as a cut man. Still, he hit a 3-pointer and a layup that kept Phoenix within a basket of the Spurs.

The gash kept spurting and dripping, though. Finally, Nash was removed from the game with a minute left. Without him, the Suns managed to score just two more points. They lost by five.

You may recall they lost Game 4 as well after Robert Horry body-checked Nash into the scorer's table. The ensuing melee cost Phoenix the services of Amare Stoudamire and Boris Diaw for the next game. The series, for all intents and purposes, was over.

So Nash took yet another hit. Still, I'll remember him bloodied as the emblematic image of the series. Recalling his crimson countenance — the point guard as club fighter — I'm sure he was described as a throwback. The term is most often employed to describe the virtues of gritty white guys. Nash is one of them, to be sure. But I'd argue he's a throwback for other reasons. After decades of isolation offense and bump and grind defense, Nash helped to revive some of pro ball's long-dormant beauty — the pick and roll and the running game.

No one wins on style points this time of year. The game changes now, becoming slower, more physical, more intense and defensive. The Suns, it is said (often by me), don't have what it takes to get to the championship, much less win one.

Isn't Nash partly to blame?

A friend of mine, Adrian Wojnarowski, the NBA columnist for Yahoo, answers with a question of his own: "Just tell me what the guy could've done differently?"

The question, and the point it raises, are well-taken. With last year's Spurs series in evidence, no one can say Nash is anything but a fighter. He doesn't have Game 7s like his pal, Dirk Nowitzki, had against Golden State last year. Yes, it's difficult to find fault with Steve Nash, on or off the court.

He does a lot of charity work. He reads books (though I'm not sure "The Communist Manifesto" actually qualifies as one). What's more, Nash is living proof that Mark Cuban, who let him leave Dallas, isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is.

But in the history of the game, there are only two MVPs who haven't played in the Finals. One is Kevin Garnett, who will likely get his chance this year. The other is Nash, who's won the award twice since leaving the Mavericks for Phoenix.

This might be his last best shot, or maybe his next to last. Adding O'Neal improves the storyline. But it's also an acknowledgement that the Suns of Steve Nash have but a year or two left as serious contenders. They're running out of time.

O'Neal is a very old 36. Nash is 33. With the ascension of Chris Paul, he's no longer the best point guard in the game.

I've never been one to bleed for a guy who hasn't won a ring — I've got my own problems. But as I watched Nash hit a fadeaway 3 that should have sent Saturday's game into triple overtime, I couldn't help but feel for him. The Suns managed to lose, of course. But I don't know what Nash could've done different, or better. I just know it would be a shame to recall Steve Nash as the best guy never to play for a championship.

Spurminator
04-23-2008, 10:05 AM
You may recall they lost Game 4 as well after Robert Horry body-checked Nash into the scorer's table.

No, I don't recall that.

Fabbs
04-23-2008, 10:06 AM
I've been very impressed with Nash, esp in the clutch.

Thought it was retarded of Bruce (via Pop?) to let him shoot that trey attempt 15 seconds left 2OT with a foul to give. :downspin::downspin:

CubanMustGo
04-23-2008, 10:48 AM
That series began — some might argue, ended — with a spectacularly violent collision between Steve Nash and Tony Parker.

Because everyone knows that if you lose Game 1, you automatically lose the series.

The ensuing melee cost Phoenix the services of Amare Stoudamire and Boris Diaw for the next game. The series, for all intents and purposes, was over.

Because it is SO unreasonable to expect a team to win a game six when they're up a man.

But as I watched Nash hit a fadeaway 3 that should have sent Saturday's game into triple overtime

Because God forbid the Spurs should try and do anything (like score) with the 15 seconds that were left on the clock.

Christ, is this Suck On Sun Dick week in the media? Yes, Nash is a great player, but the crap these guys keep trotting out is ridiculous (not to mention wrong as pointed out earlier re game 4).

bigfan
04-23-2008, 10:50 AM
I think PHX has some great players right now with Nash, Shaq and Amare (though he is prone to dumb mistakes). They just dont have much of a bench and dont play good defense. Defense wins championships.

DarrinS
04-23-2008, 10:54 AM
You may recall they lost Game 4 as well after Robert Horry body-checked Nash into the scorer's table. The ensuing melee cost Phoenix the services of Amare Stoudamire and Boris Diaw for the next game. The series, for all intents and purposes, was over.

The hip that the Fat Shaqtus gave to Parker last night was orders of magnitude more violent than Horry's hip check to Nash last year. What was the Spurs' reaction? Players could have run off the bench, but cooler heads prevailed.

:flag:

boutons_
04-23-2008, 10:55 AM
"spectacularly violent collision"

WTF? Tony's headbone to Steve's nosebone was not spectacular, weird, angry, intentional, or anything else. The drama came from all the blood which was hard to stop, and the nose bandage, and the media sharks hyping it all.

"spectacularly violent collision" GMAFB

boutons_
04-23-2008, 10:57 AM
"I've got my own problems"

WTF? who cares?

roycrikside
04-23-2008, 11:53 AM
This guy is a moron. He made two glaring errors in one column. Phoenix won Game 4, the Robert Horry Hip Check Game, they didn't lose it. And Dirk never played a Game 7 against the Warriors last year because they lost in six.

Lebowski Brickowski
04-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Just tell me what the guy could've done differently?

But I don't know what Nash could've done different, or better.

D-up.

Is that too much to ask? Maybe play just a modicum of D? Maybe? Mr. MVP? Mr. "He's so good he couldn't do anything better"?