PDA

View Full Version : Izzo candidate for Bulls Job

Flintstones32
04-23-2008, 10:21 AM
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080423/SPORTS0202/804230435

Flintstones32
04-23-2008, 10:31 AM
I don't think he'd actually leave, but who knows. To me, college coaching is the greatest place to be. Recruiting would be fun as hell.

ducks
04-23-2008, 10:33 AM
humm recruiting or getting paid 5 times as much hummm..

JoeTait75
04-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Well, since it worked out so well for Calipari, Pitino, Mike Montgomery, Lon Kruger, P.J. Carlesimo...

Flintstones32
04-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Izzo’s contract includes a guaranteed income of $1,735,964 per year, two cars, as well as term life insurance policies worth $1,000,000 and $5,000,000. He also got a whopping one-time bonus worth $9,801,935, according to USA Today.

I think he's ok on money. It's about doing what he thinks will make him the happiest. If he believes he has nothing else to prove in college, then by all means take the bulls job, but if he feels he has more to do, then he should stay.

sribb43
04-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Well, since it worked out so well for Calipari, Pitino, Mike Montgomery, Lon Kruger, P.J. Carlesimo...

dont forget the legendary Tim Floyd....youd think the bulls would have already learned their lesson on hiring college coaches

JoeTait75
04-23-2008, 11:33 AM
dont forget the legendary Tim Floyd....youd think the bulls would have already learned their lesson on hiring college coaches

... or pro coaches who act like college coaches (Skiles)

That team needs a veteran coach, not another novice. Maybe someone like, daresay, Larry Brown?

JamStone
04-23-2008, 12:03 PM
It's pretty naive to label all college coaches the same way in that they can't handle the pros. Each coach is different. He could be an exception like Larry Brown. Popovich also started coaching in college.

I'm not saying Izzo would make a good NBA coach. I can't say for sure either way. I just think it's silly to presume he wouldn't because the vast majority of college coaches don't have much success in the NBA.

JoeTait75
04-23-2008, 12:26 PM
It's pretty naive to label all college coaches the same way in that they can't handle the pros. Each coach is different. He could be an exception like Larry Brown. Popovich also started coaching in college.

I'm not saying Izzo would make a good NBA coach. I can't say for sure either way. I just think it's silly to presume he wouldn't because the vast majority of college coaches don't have much success in the NBA.

Fair enough. But this particular team- young, inexperienced, and rudderless- needs a guy who has coached before in this league with success IMO.

Didn't Larry Brown coach in the pros (ABA) before he coached in college, BTW?

JamStone
04-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Fair enough. But this particular team- young, inexperienced, and rudderless- needs a guy who has coached before in this league with success IMO.

Didn't Larry Brown coach in the pros (ABA) before he coached in college, BTW?

I think a really young team like the Bulls might actually be better off with a college type coach who will be fiery and motivational and very much a disciplinarian, especially with the off the court problems they had with Duhon, Tyrus, Noah this past season. The Bulls shouldn't be expecting to make a run for the Finals next year. They just need to get better, more disciplined. A coach with success in the league isn't easy to come by anyway. There's basically Carlisle and Larry Brown who may be available and that's pretty much it. So, a successful college coach might be just as good as a guy who has experience in the NBA but not a great deal of success.

Again, I don't know if Izzo would be good. I'm just saying for something like this, I don't buy into the stereotype that he couldn't be any good.

And, I'm not sure but you could be right that Larry Brown first coached in the ABA. I just used him as the main example because he's the one clear exception of a coach having success at both levels. He very well may have started as a pro coach first.

Amare_32
04-23-2008, 10:15 PM
What those players need is a Pop type coach.

Elraptor
04-23-2008, 10:38 PM
What those players need is a Pop type coach.Then they'll have a way better team. :king

remingtonbo2001
04-23-2008, 10:49 PM
What those players need is a Pop type coach.

Instead of recruiting from the Collegiate level, the Bulls should turn to the CIA to find their next coach.

ShoogarBear
04-23-2008, 11:03 PM

Leonard Hamilton, Larry Krystowiak, Tim Floyd.

Hiring a college coach has become the surest sign of front office incompetence.

Having said that, the jury is still out on Reggie Theus. He may turn out to have the goods.