View Full Version : Meet Phoenix: The Valley Of The Stunned

duncan228
04-23-2008, 11:10 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24255059/

Meet Phoenix: The Valley of the Stunned
Suns must finally beat Spurs to reach their ultimate goal
By John Walters

"Nooooooooooooooooooo!"

As Tim Duncan set his feet and then lofted what would be his first successful 3-point shot of the 2007-08 NBA season, fans of the Phoenix Suns cringed. Sure they saw Duncan, the San Antonio Spurs' two-time NBA Most Valuable Player, who has helped end the Suns' postseason four times in the past 10 years, but they also saw John Paxson of Chicago in 1993. And Mario Elie of Houston in 1995.

They saw a team that yet again appears to be rattlesnake-bitten in the playoffs. Suns fans, welcome to the 2008 NBA playoffs: Where Anguish Happens.

Oh, it was awful. A fan listening to longtime announcer Al McCoy's broadcast of the game lost control as he was driving and drove his golf cart into a ball-washer. Breast-enhancement surgery consultations were canceled -- and not just for teenage patients. At the Kierland Commons shopperia in Scottsdale, someone was even spotted reading a book. Not a self-help book, a book-book.

Call it the Valley of the Stunned.

And any comments about it only being Game 1 were quickly washed away by an impressive Spurs win in Game 2 on Tuesday.

The Suns lost a wildly entertaining but ultimately excruciating double-overtime contest in Game 1, 117-115, to the defending NBA champs last Saturday in San Antonio. They blew a 16-point first half lead, but every Suns worshipper expected that to happen: Phoenix is the NBA's best first-half team.

Phoenix, in signature form, outplayed San Antonio in all but the game's final moments. They allowed a game-tying three with 0:15 left in regulation by Michael Finley, another such shot by Duncan, a buzzer-beater, in the first overtime, and a game-winning lay-up by Manu Ginobili with 1.8 seconds left in the second overtime.

"Heartbreak hotel," as McCoy, the voice of the franchise since 1972, would say. As cover-your-eyes television goes this spring, only the love scene between Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney in "John Adams" is more troubling.

Then again, it was only Game 1. It was only the opening playoff contest of a Western Conference tournament so exacting that it's a wonder any team will survive and win three consecutive series. Someone has to, by design, but there are times when you wonder if the playoffs out west will end like "Reservoir Dogs," with everyone taking down one another.

The Suns are not looking past San Antonio, however. Nor are their fans, dubbed "Planet Orange" last September by the team's marketing staff, a diligent if not astronomically savvy bunch. The Spurs may be the defending NBA champions, but they are also the team that has eclipsed the Suns in the postseason three times in the past five seasons.

No series since 1995, when Phoenix blew a 3-1 lead to the Houston Rockets and an 18-point second-quarter lead in Game 7 of that series before Elie's game-winning three, has been as painful for the Suns. Had Phoenix just closed out Houston in one of those three games, they most likely would have cruised past the Orlando Magic -- a talented yet callow team led by two future Suns, Penny Hardaway and Shaquille O'Neal -- in the NBA Finals for the city's first major professional championship.

Alas, it was not to be in 1995, and thanks to Robert Horry and a corrupt referee named Tim Donaghy, it was not to be in 2007. Let us not be too revisionist, though: The Spurs were the NBA's most formidable team last season, and even if Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw had not been suspended for Game 5 of the Western Conference semis last May, there's no assurance that the Suns would have won that game, much less the series. After all, San Antonio has an 8-5 postseason record at Phoenix since Duncan entered the league.

Still, if you are an individual member of Planet Orange (an "Agent Orange?"), you wanted this first-round match-up. You wanted Steve Nash and his band of inimitable first-named teammates (Amare, Boris, Leandro, Raja, Shaquille ... keychain-ready names they are not) to get another shot at Duncan, Ginobili and Tony Parker. You've waited 11 months for this, and you have no patience for some first-round series vs. Utah or Houston. If the Suns cannot beat San Antonio, then what difference does a preliminary playoff series win make?

You want San Antonio. You want to figuratively hip-check Robert Horry into an early summer vacation. You want Bruce Bowen's blood the way Chicago Bulls fans once wanted Rick Mahorn's. You want Eva Longoria to show up at U.S. Airways Arena and then show fan shots on the Jumbo-tron of all the Phoenix lasses who are hotter than she is.

You admire Duncan, but you want to see him lose.

You want, most of all, to see Nash win. For the Suns' own two-time MVP to be rewarded for last year's Hannibal Lecter face and all the passion he has instilled in this franchise since 2004.

It was only Game 1 of Round 1, even if it did not feel that way. "It feels like a Finals game," Duncan said afterward. "It's the first game of the first series, and we're going to have to muster energy up."

As will the Suns, who have had to pick themselves up/dust themselves off many a time since Nash returned to the Valley in 2004. Because none of these wrenching defeats would be so painful if the Suns, who have averaged nearly 58 wins per year since Nash became their starting point guard four seasons ago, were not Finals-worthy. But they are.

It's legacy time for players such as Nash, Leandro Barbosa, Raja Bell, Boris Diaw and Amare Stoudemire, who have been teammates for three seasons now. Unlike the team's rent-a-cop, O'Neal, none of them have championship rings. And this may be the last, or second-to-last, season that this thermal core of Suns has a realistic shot of winning one together.

This is their moment. Will Nash and the Suns be remembered as the NBA's most entertaining team -- over a four-year span -- that could never even advance to the Finals? Or will Phoenix at last win the gut-check games against a San Antonio team whose only real advantage over them is their fortitude?

Planet Orange? How about "Determi Nation?"

San Antonio. And if the Suns get past the reigning champs, then likely New Orleans. Then Los Angeles. Then Boston. Good luck.

Strike
04-23-2008, 11:19 AM
:cry

SpursWoman
04-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Alas, it was not to be in 1995, and thanks to Robert Horry and a corrupt referee named Tim Donaghy, it was not to be in 2007.

OMFG. :lmao

boutons_
04-23-2008, 11:31 AM
"thanks to Robert Horry and a corrupt referee named Tim Donaghy"

what she said

jmard5
04-23-2008, 11:32 AM
The Suns wanted the Spurs in round one. Well, as the saying goes, "Be careful of what you wish for..."

101A
04-23-2008, 11:37 AM
If only Phoenix WOULD have won that series in '95.

They never would have gotten the chance to play Orlando.

CubanMustGo
04-23-2008, 11:43 AM
"thanks to Robert Horry and a corrupt referee named Tim Donaghy"

what she said

"Meet Phoenix, the Valley of the Delusional"

NASpurs
04-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Ok I'll start:

The Valley of the Done and Gone

1Parker1
04-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks for posting these articles from everywhere after games Duncan228. Much appreciated so I don't have google it all myself :tu :lol

duncan228
04-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks for posting these articles from everywhere after games Duncan228. Much appreciated so I don't have google it all myself :tu :lol

No problem. That's why I do it. It seems to save people some time if it's here.

Supreme_Being
04-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Duncan228 is the best poster in this board next to timvp... 'nuff said.

peskypesky
04-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Will Nash and the Suns be remembered as the NBA's most entertaining team -- over a four-year span -- that could never even advance to the Finals?.

No. They won't be remembered as anything. Nobody remembers who the most entertaining team was in 1982 or 1972 or 1962. What is remembered is Championships. Sorry, Phoenix.
:flag:

dbreiden83080
04-23-2008, 01:18 PM
"You want Eva Longoria to show up at U.S. Airways Arena and then show fan shots on the Jumbo-tron of all the Phoenix lasses who are hotter than she is".

Oh my GOD!! :rolleyes:rolleyes

dbreiden83080
04-23-2008, 01:20 PM
No. They won't be remembered as anything. Nobody remembers who the most entertaining team was in 1982 or 1972 or 1962. What is remembered is Championships. Sorry, Phoenix.
:flag:

Well they will be remembered likely because Nash is going to the hall of fame and will go down as a top all time PG and if he does not get a ring the Spurs and these years will be highlighted as the primary reason why. Same as with Ewing and Jordan's Bulls being always in his way.

FromWayDowntown
04-23-2008, 02:35 PM

That's what I was thinking. Suns' fans (Clockwork Orange?) would have been in fits over playing that 62-win Spurs team in the West Finals; the desire to despise the Spurs might now be in its 13th full season.

rasho8
04-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Wow... what a freakin S0ns homer.

This is journalism now?

5ToolMan
04-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Phoenix, in signature form, outplayed San Antonio in all but the game's final moments.

Hmmm ... the Spurs were down by 16 in the 2nd quarter and were "outplayed" until the final moments. Very interesting.

I must have been dreaming. I thought the Spurs were kicking ass in the paint most of the second half.

Since the Suns writer has cleared most of this up, just leaving a single minor detail, pleas help me. Who hit the 25 shot get the Spurs close at the end of regulation. Or did they have to hit a 50 pointer just to get close after the Suns outplayed them all day? :lol

Strike
04-23-2008, 03:31 PM
"You want Eva Longoria to show up at U.S. Airways Arena and then show fan shots on the Jumbo-tron of all the Phoenix lasses who are hotter than she is".

That's gonna be a short bit.

sa_kid20
04-24-2008, 10:44 AM

Yeah i like how they just completely over-looked the team that had the best record that year which also had that years MVP.

And if anybody is gonna play the "what if" card that year it would definately be the Spurs losing to Houston THREE TIMES AT HOME that series.

Reggie Miller
04-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Hell, the Pacers at least made it to the Finals in this decade, and they are already forgotten. At this rate, this Suns team will be remembered for the two least deserved MVP awards in the history of the league.

Supergirl
04-24-2008, 11:42 AM
the only thing i worry about is Shaq hurting one of the Spurs. he's going to be pissed, determined, and he's already been getting away with banging the shit out of the Spurs, so I worry what will happen when they're on their own floor.

xtremesteven33
04-24-2008, 11:58 AM
I Feel for the City of Phoenix. I remember when The Lakers used to beat on the Spurs.(2000-2002) I remember we would always come close to beating them but they always finished the games that we couldnt. I remember crying and HATING the Lakers. it took me years to give up my hate for the Lakers. I can imagine the heartache the city of Phoenix feels....sucks dude....

Trainwreck2100
04-24-2008, 12:01 PM
That's gonna be a short bit.

please, there aren't enough time outs

DazedAndConfused
04-24-2008, 12:09 PM
I Feel for the City of Phoenix. I remember when The Lakers used to beat on the Spurs.(2000-2004) I remember we would always come close to beating them but they always finished the games that we couldnt. I remember crying and HATING the Lakers. it took me years to give up my hate for the Lakers. I can imagine the heartache the city of Phoenix feels....sucks dude....

fixed

xtremesteven33
04-24-2008, 12:11 PM
fixed

yea if u include .4 seconds also.....

FromWayDowntown
04-24-2008, 12:17 PM
I Feel for the City of Phoenix. I remember when The Lakers used to beat on the Spurs.(2001-2004, except for 2003) I remember we would always come close to beating them but they always finished the games that we couldnt. I remember crying and HATING the Lakers. it took me years to give up my hate for the Lakers. I can imagine the heartache the city of Phoenix feels....sucks dude....

Fixed.

m33p0
04-24-2008, 12:20 PM
what a difference a week makes. a few days ago, the suns and their supporters were salivating over the prospect of finally beating the spurs.

were the spurs truly just waiting for the playoffs? was duncan really bored with the regular season? did pop gave the team, especially duncan, the soft speech during that fateful bus ride before the jazz game? or was he simply asking if they should eat italian or japanese?

suns fans have been waiting for almost a year for a chance to put it to the spurs. they got their wish. now they have to swallow it.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Or will Phoenix at last win the gut-check games against a San Antonio team whose only real advantage over them is their fortitude?

:lol

nfg3
04-24-2008, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=duncan228;2422912]http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24255059/Alas, it was not to be in 1995, and thanks to Robert Horry and a corrupt referee named Tim Donaghy, it was not to be in 2007. [QUOTE]

Uh.....NO - Thanks to Amare and Boris's immaturity is more like it. Do we have to hear this again? Obviously we do and probably always will. The people who argue this are just ignorant of the facts and what actually happened..

And stating that Donaghy was corrupt - a correct statement though - might infer that he had something to do with the Suns demise - which he didn't. Nice and subtle. Nothing false but nothing specific - just a whole lot of gray and that usually is enough to incite the Suns fans.