PDA

View Full Version : Rick Barry

Solid D
01-19-2005, 06:54 PM
I caught part of the interview on the Ticket760 this evening. Very interesting interview. Props to the Thompsons for having Rick in-studio for the interview. Rick was pretty candid, as usual.

I'd suggest that it's worth posting the replay in here, if Kori or timvp can hook it up.

Rick had very glowing things to say regarding San Antonio and the Spurs' organization...an interesting departure from his take on San Antonio and David Robinson after Big Dave was drafted by the Spurs.

FromWayDowntown
01-19-2005, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I've pretty much never forgiven Barry for his comments in 1987. He was just terrible to San Antonio and the Spurs franchise that night. Things have definitely changed, and for the better in virtually every respect, but still, to publicly advise a #1 pick to sit on his negotiating rights in an effort to curry a better contract from a better team/organization is pretty harsh.

[If you've never heard Barry's comments, when the next draft rolls around, check out NBA.com tv's replay of that 1987 draft.]

Kori Ellis
01-19-2005, 07:05 PM
I'll ask if there's an mp3 of it.

ShoogarBear
01-19-2005, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I've pretty much never forgiven Barry for his comments in 1987. He was just terrible to San Antonio and the Spurs franchise that night. Things have definitely changed, and for the better in virtually every respect, but still, to publicly advise a #1 pick to sit on his negotiating rights in an effort to curry a better contract from a better team/organization is pretty harsh.

Eh, it's a negotiating tactic. Essentially every one of the following did it or tried to do it: John Elway, Kobe, Eli Manning, Danny Ferry, Steve Francis.

It wasn't a personal attack on San Antonio. It's business, and some would say smart business.

MosesGuthrie
01-19-2005, 10:09 PM
He went on to say more about the city itself that made it a personal attack. It was also an attack on the organization.

Phenomanul
01-19-2005, 11:14 PM
He went on to say more about the city itself that made it a personal attack. It was also an attack on the organization.

Yeah... but it was before the organization became what it is known for today..... so he really wasn't being particularly untruthful....

Tek_XX
01-19-2005, 11:16 PM
When Rick Barry left his wife and kids did he stay in touch, or did he act like they didn't exist

T Park
01-20-2005, 12:48 AM
He acted like they didn't exist, Buck Harvey pointed that out the other day.

His critique of the franchise int he 80's was right.

They didnt want to spend the money to compete.

His critique of the city may have been true back then, cant remember what was said.

Solid D
01-20-2005, 12:53 AM
Rick ripped into Buck Harvey about his column. Said it was unfair and untrue.

Tek_XX
01-20-2005, 01:56 AM
I did read the article and wasn't sure if he kept in touch or not. There's gotta be truth to it becuase his kids seem pretty mad about it. So it's interestiing that the family gets pissed off everytime an article is written about it or even mentions it. Is there truth in it or not?

T Park
01-20-2005, 01:57 AM
Right Rick.

You being a selfish egomoniacal deadbeat dad aint true.

I guess your kids are lying too eh?

TheWriter
01-20-2005, 02:10 AM
What did Rick say about the city of SA?

samikeyp
01-20-2005, 02:16 AM
Yeah... but it was before the organization became what it is known for today..... so he really wasn't being particularly untruthful....

fair point, but still uncalled for IMO. but that is just my .02 :)

MosesGuthrie
01-20-2005, 02:23 AM
I support Brent wholeheartedly, but I still think his dad is a tool.

Rick said that San Antonio was not a market condusive for a talent like Robinson. He would be "wasting his time in a place like that" Those comments were not said on TBS during the draft, they were in the paper the next day.

TheWriter
01-20-2005, 02:25 AM
What did he say on the radio today/yesterday about Saint Antonio?

alamo50
01-20-2005, 07:36 AM
Rick ripped into Buck Harvey about his column. Said it was unfair and untrue.

Buck at it again.....
How long does it have to take to kick him out?!?!

:hang

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
01-20-2005, 07:48 AM
To be fair to Buck---didn't he mostly re-hash what was said about Barry in an earlier S.I. article? Maybe that's what Barry was upset about-bringing up old stuff. But clearly, Barry's personality has not always rubbed everyone the right way...

Hank Hill
01-20-2005, 08:41 AM
Rick Barry reguarding The Spurs and David Robinson

That boy ain't right

T Park
01-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Buck at it again.....
How long does it have to take to kick him out?!?!

Buck Harvey is a damn good writer, there is no reason to kick him out Alamo.

Once again, Rick's comments back then, were pretty on target, it pisses you off maybe, but it was true.

Doesnt change the fact Rick Barry is a tard and a horrible dad.

Kori Ellis
01-20-2005, 11:48 AM
I'll get the audio file later today of yesterday's interview on Ticket760.

Hank Hill
01-20-2005, 12:48 PM
I'll get the audio file later today of yesterday's interview on Ticket760.

Thank you Miss Kori!!!

I would like to hear it

TheWriter
01-20-2005, 11:51 PM
Has the audio been posted?

Kori Ellis
01-20-2005, 11:54 PM
No. I asked for it when I was at WOAI today. They said they will get it and give it to me tomorrow.

Solid D
01-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Don't let them (Thompsons/WOAI) off the hook. The part of the interview that I heard was pretty interesting stuff.

Drachen
01-21-2005, 03:51 PM
I caught part of the interview on the Ticket760 this evening. Very interesting interview. Props to the Thompsons for having Rick in-studio for the interview. Rick was pretty candid, as usual.

I'd suggest that it's worth posting the replay in here, if Kori or timvp can hook it up.

Rick had very glowing things to say regarding San Antonio and the Spurs' organization...an interesting departure from his take on San Antonio and David Robinson after Big Dave was drafted by the Spurs.

Yeah, I saw him with a spurs hat on at the game and I was like, OH so NOW your a spurs fan.