PDA

View Full Version : The Rapture is Here

Findog
04-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Where did all the cool people go? Is this the end of the world? Okay, well not so much...

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/04/avery-i-take-full-responsibility.html

Words like angry and embarrassed were being used at the AAC this afternoon to describe the way the Mavs feel about their pathetic performance in New Orleans.

Avery Johnson accepted blame ... sort of.

"I take full responsibility about everything," Avery said. "And that's my job. But at the same time, we have a game plan. We've got to have a high level of concentration, and we have to have a high level of physicality, which I haven't seen yet. We'll get there. We'll keep prodding them and cheering them on and challenging and doing all that we do to try to get the team ready to play."

Avery was asked whether it was hard for him to accept responsibility when he wasn't on the court.

"It all starts with me," Avery said. "Whenever something goes wrong with the team - if we're not making free throws, if we're not making layups, if we're not defending - it's not the players. It's me."

I'd be much more convinced if Avery didn't use the simple tasks of shooting free throws and layups as examples of things that fall on him. OK, Avery, so what in particular have you done wrong during this series?

"Probably trapping him maybe a little too much," Avery said, referring to Chris Paul (33.5 ppg, 13.5 apg in series). "We've got to mix in the traps here and there. Without giving you a scouting report, I think we've just got to know when to trap and when not to trap.

"Again, with our basketball team, everybody has to do their job. We all haven't done a good enough job in the first two games."

The players aren't worried about whether Avery is the scapegoat, at least not publicly. Jason Kidd said it's up to the players to execute the game plan better and "play with some passion and pride."

Jason Terry said Avery doesn't need to make any drastic changes to help Dallas get back in this series.

"Just keep being Avery," Jet said. "He's staying positive. He's giving us pep talks, but it's on the players now. We have to go out there in between the lines and play the game - and play with enthusiasm, pride, determination."

monosylab1k
04-23-2008, 01:58 PM
He knows he's on his way out of Dallas, he's just building up what little good press he can before Cuban kicks his Napoleonic ass to the curb.

Reggie Miller
04-23-2008, 01:58 PM
On one level, the Hornets were just winning the home court games they are supposed to win...

(I actually meant that seriously for once.) Mavs aren't done yet. However, I would feel better for their chances if the first two games hadn't been boat races.

(Hell, more like unlimited hydroplane racing....)

degenerate_gambler
04-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Guys, what's the Hornets record the past two years when they play at AAC?

Findog
04-23-2008, 02:07 PM
On one level, the Hornets were just winning the home court games they are supposed to win...

(I actually meant that seriously for once.) Mavs aren't done yet. However, I would feel better for their chances if the first two games hadn't been boat races.

(Hell, more like unlimited hydroplane racing....)

The Hornets are the better team and have HCA, so being up 2-0 shouldn't be some sort of shock. That said, over a 4 quarter stretch from halftime of G1 to halftime of G2, NOLA outscored Dallas by 40!! They're not 40 points better than Dallas. Especially considering the Mavs beat them and handled them only a week earlier. This team HAS quit on Dirk and Avery, with the exception of maybe Kidd and Bass. And how the hell does it take an injury to Lue for Antoine Wright to get activated? He's not some superstar stud, but literally everytime I've seen him play, he's brought something and played well. He at least deserves to be in the rotation, and Avery has him buried on the bench. No way Devean George and Eddie Jones should be seeing the floor ahead of him.

Losing to the Hornets and Chris Paul going off is one thing. Not competing, not taking pride in what you're doing is something completely different.

The traps were so pathetic and ineffective. The Hornets anticipated it, Paul would literally wait for the second defender to amble over and then he'd swing it to the open guy. Here is how I would "defend" Paul. He's going to get his, but you don't want him making the game easier for his teammates. I'd put Josh on him and Kidd on Peja. Kidd is 6'4, so he can body up and put a hand in Peja's face just fine, since he's just a spot-up shooter at this point.

When they run the p'n'r, you have three choices. You can switch it, and have Chandler get a lob dunk over the PG. You can fight through it and let Paul get into the lane. If you go under it, you can pack the lane and concede the jumper to Paul. He's not a bad outside shooter by any means, so this isn't a perfect solution, but you stay home on everybody else and force Paul to carry the scoring load. If he beats you hitting jumpers, then you tip your cap and go home. Overtrapping the way they do now is just a recipe for defeat.

Findog
04-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Guys, what's the Hornets record the past two years when they play at AAC?

Hornets have lost 13 straight in Dallas, but THESE Hornets are not those Hornets.

clambake
04-23-2008, 02:13 PM
paul went left around josh like he was standing still. i think it had to do with lack of effort. i don't see any fire in josh right now.

and devean george and eddie jones play like they couldn't make it at the special Olympics.

JamStone
04-23-2008, 02:14 PM
It will be interesting to have Larry Brown back coaching. Jason Kidd will love playing for him.

monosylab1k
04-23-2008, 02:16 PM
It will be interesting to have Larry Brown back coaching. Jason Kidd will love playing for him.

It would be a perfect marriage, really. Dirk/Kidd have one more year to go for a title before the team gets blown up, and Larry Brown will probably be sick of coaching again after one year.

Findog
04-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Jamstone, you know as well as anybody that there's good Larry (Detroit) and bad Larry (New York). Actually, wasn't the reason he left Detroit because the owner didn't like the flirtations with Cleveland? My impression was that the players weren't buddy buddy with him but they respected and played hard for him.

Reggie Miller
04-23-2008, 02:23 PM
When they run the p'n'r, you have three choices. You can switch it, and have Chandler get a lob dunk over the PG. You can fight through it and let Paul get into the lane. If you go under it, you can pack the lane and concede the jumper to Paul. He's not a bad outside shooter by any means, so this isn't a perfect solution, but you stay home on everybody else and force Paul to carry the scoring load. If he beats you hitting jumpers, then you tip your cap and go home. Overtrapping the way they do now is just a recipe for defeat.

You are actually correct in two regards. First, the strategy itself was bad. Second, the execution was worse. You can't rely on a defense-first strategy if everyone doesn't give close to 100% effort. When Avery micromanages, I think everyone on the court knows what is coming, which doesn't help either.

Indazone
04-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Avery Johnson is T-Mac's cousin??

It's on me!

Reggie Miller
04-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Jamstone, you know as well as anybody that there's good Larry (Detroit) and bad Larry (New York). Actually, wasn't the reason he left Detroit because the owner didn't like the flirtations with Cleveland? My impression was that the players weren't buddy buddy with him but they respected and played hard for him.

It's possible to have Good Larry and Bad Larry around at the same time. Trust me. It happened in Indiana.

Shank
04-23-2008, 03:05 PM
What's messed up is the Mavericks will probably win the next 2 at home and we'll all have that false sense of pride in our hearts once again.

Go Stars.

Findog
04-23-2008, 03:08 PM
I think it would actually be better for the Hornets to get a split in Dallas and wrap it up at home. Mavs aren't winning this series, and I don't think they can even make it a competitive series, so it's a moot point, but this team needs some substantial change, and a competitive loss to New Orleans MIGHT stall that.