PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Brent's Back, Hack-A-Shaq, And A Whistle Attack

duncan228
04-23-2008, 01:57 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/04/jeff_mcdonald_b_11.html

Jeff McDonald: Brent's back, Hack-a-Shaq, and a whistle attack

Any fan with eyes already knows that Brent Barry has recently returned to action for the Spurs. He has played 21 minutes in Games 1 and 2 of the first-round series against the Suns, contributing a key 3-pointer in each of the Spurs' victories.

Meanwhile, any Spurs beat writer with ears and/or a working tape recorder has been reminded of Barry's value from a sports journalist's perspective.

Barry's wit and unique insight make every interview seem like he's auditioning for Bartles. He is as priceless to a working sportswriter as a free meal and extra Marriott points.

To wit, a couple Barry bites from last night's post-game that didn't make the dead tree edition of the Express-News:

On Tony Parker's collision with Shaquille O'Neal: "Tony falls down on his own a lot. We talk about that a lot in the locker room. There's probably no other player in the league who falls down as much as he does. It's the Frenchman in him, I guess."

On Parker, Manu Ginobili and Tim Duncan scoring 51 of the Spurs' 54 first-half points in Game 2: "You'd think those guys would want to pass once in a while. They were selfish."

Glad to have you back, Brent.

And now some other off-day musings ...

*Got this email from an alleged Suns fan named Tom who declined to leave a return address: "Don't you think the Hack-a-Shaq cheapens the game? It is time Stern takes a long hard look at some of the bs that is taking place in the NBA."

My thoughts: Have Suns fans gotten so desperate in this series that they are going to complain about free foul shots? Shaq could avoid being hacked if, you know, he would learn to make free throws. He hit five of six of them in the third quarter of Game 2. Keep doing that, and the Spurs will have to dispense with their strategy.

As it stands, Hack-a-Shaq remains a useful way to get him off the floor. The first two times the Spurs tried it in Game 2, Mike D'Antoni yanked him from the game. It's hard to argue with results.

*Speaking of Shaq, television cameras clearly caught him on the bench, whistling to try and disrupt a crucial Tim Duncan free throw late in Game 2. This tactic isn't illegal or anything, but it seems odd coming from a guy who complained so bitterly about the Spurs' flopping in Game 1.

Let's see if we've got this straight. In Shaq's mind, flopping is unmanly, but whistling like one of the seven dwarves going off to work is the ultimate in machismo? OK, then.

Budkin
04-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Let's see if we've got this straight. In Shaq's mind, flopping is unmanly, but whistling like one of the seven dwarves going off to work is the ultimate in machismo? OK, then.

:lmao

easjer
04-23-2008, 02:11 PM
:lol

Great article all the way around.

Princess Pimp
04-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Cheater fucks!

Big P
04-23-2008, 02:14 PM
lol

degenerate_gambler
04-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Bones is nuts :rollin

honestfool84
04-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Cheater fucks!

your mom f*cks

smeagol
04-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Cheater fucks!

You mean Shaq . . . ?

Yes, he whistled trying to distract Timmy.

That is cheating.

Borosai
04-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Fatty, the long lost 8th dwarf.

LilMissSPURfect
04-23-2008, 04:14 PM
I like my siggy :wakeup

ancestron
04-23-2008, 04:44 PM
I like my siggy :wakeup

Funny thing, I was actually thinking of your signature last night after the game. Its true, and probably the most colorful description of the Spurs ownage of the Suns that I've read.

:toast

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-23-2008, 04:49 PM
I how is hilarious but more so pathetic that he was whistling to distract him

how the mighty have fallen

The Truth #6
04-23-2008, 04:55 PM
This is probably McDonald's best article yet.

thispego
04-23-2008, 05:04 PM
:rolleyes :baby

WildcardManu
04-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Cheater fucks!

Keep telling yourself that if it gets you through the night.

Brutalis
04-23-2008, 05:22 PM
He should have ended it with

"OK, then. You big poo poo face."

he could have pulled it off.