PDA

View Full Version : NBA Playoff Profile: Is Tim Duncan Boring?

duncan228
04-23-2008, 07:33 PM
I had to. :)

http://www.insightnews.com/sports.asp?mode=display&articleID=4213

NBA playoff profile: Is Tim Duncan boring?
By Ryan T. Scott

The NBA Playoffs are tremendously good this year. So, in honor of this elite competition, I figure we can devote some special attention as we follow the Lakers path to the Championship... ok, fine, we'll see.

What we will do is have some ongoing commentary of the all-time great players that we see on the current playoff stage. I invite you to send your comments about your favorite player to the e-mail address you see over there under the dude with the Lakers jersey.

"Tim Duncan is like a modern day Bill Russell. Of course Russell has 11 Championships, though."

I have to say that I was inspired to do this series based on Time Duncan. Tim Duncan has been a major antagonist to my need for championship celebrations. I don't blame Minnesota sports fans for being "bitter" (that word will never be the same, or more true, after Obama got a hold of it) about having no recent major sports championships. It is fun when your team wins, and profitable to the region as well.

For 11 years Timothy Theodore Duncan has silently terrorized the NBA. Duncan is a shade less athletic than Kevin Garnett, yet he is a greater player because of his controlled mental approach to the game. Maybe that comes with the Honors Degree in Psychology.

Kevin Garnett has been known to jump on tables and pound his chest to clarify his passion and energy, while Tim Duncan simply puts the ball in the basket and puts the rings on his fingers. Four rings to be exact. I know that I pick on K.G. a lot, but I will never get over seeing him pass the ball to Sam Mitchell to take the game winning shot in a playoff game. He didn't even look at the hoop before he passed it. I'm sorry, two thumbs down for that.

Unflappable and ridiculously cool are ways that I would describe Tim Duncan these days, though many people translate that into 'boooring'. Myself, I can appreciate someone who does so much damage on the court without even getting his blood pressure above a resting rate. It is funny to me. It is like the silent poker player constantly whoopin' the big mouth poker player. Makes you think: Maybe the big mouth would win if he shut up. I've been the big mouth many times, and shutting up clearly helps.

Tim Duncan definitely shut me up. I used to think he was a goof. I always question anyone who makes millions of dollars and who obviously doesn't have a skilled barber to provide grooming services. I know that somebody in the San Antonio Spurs locker room has a pair of hair clippers and liners. How do they let him get away with that? I usually make a trade-off with people like that. Something like, "You get a haircut and lining, and I will eat a full bowl of pork chitterlings aka chitlins; and no I don't eat chitlins, or any other food that smells bad. But, I ain't mad at you if you do. Adding hot sauce almost does it for me, too. Anyway, Tim Duncan needs a lining, but me and everyone else can shut up because he has four NBA Championship rings (maybe he is a little boring if the discussion leads from basketball to chitlins).

Each time Tim Duncan has won a championship, he was definitely playing with a solid supporting cast. Each time, they definitely would not have been successful if Tim Duncan was not on that team. For some reason I never thought of this before, but Tim Duncan reminds me of a modern day Bill Russell. They both seem to be dynamic, unassuming players. Of course, Bill Russell has 11 Championship rings (in 13 years), so he obviously gets the nod for the 'dynamic' adjective if comparing. Bill Russell was…oh yeah, I almost forgot I was talking about Tim Duncan.

Well maybe he is boring after all! I got pretty hyped up when Tim hit the huge 3-point shot in overtime during the first game against Phoenix. By the way that is easily the most exciting match-up of the first round of the playoffs, and I encourage anyone who is bored with "new school" basketball to watch that series. Oh, right, Tim Duncan.

You know what, after trying hard to make an article about him interesting, I have to agree with many others who tend to call him boring. Oh, wait, I forgot. Tim Duncan was born in the U.S. Virgin Islands. I have never been to the Virgin Islands, but I would have to imagine it is a beautiful place. I think the Virgin Islands...

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-23-2008, 07:35 PM
these Duncan/boring gimmick articles are boring

boutons_
04-23-2008, 07:39 PM
HF, can't these losers find an original idea?

san antonio spurs
04-23-2008, 07:40 PM
poor article. High schoolers can write better

duncan228
04-23-2008, 07:42 PM
poor article. High schoolers can write better

:lol I assumed it was a high schooler.

Like I said, I had to post it. It just keeps coming out. The haters can't find any other angle, his game is too good to take apart. (Unless they write articles on his FT shooting).

Elraptor
04-23-2008, 08:03 PM
:lol I assumed it was a high schooler.

Like I said, I had to post it. It just keeps coming out. The haters can't find any other angle, his game is too good to take apart. (Unless they write articles on his FT shooting).And without a doubt, you are proboully the best person at posting news and articles on this entire forum. :toast

Yea i'm sick of hearing all this crap about how boring Duncan and the spurs are though. :sleep

Brutalis
04-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Lmao, sad.. so funny but in the end . sad.

CubanSucks
04-23-2008, 09:00 PM
WHAT THE FUCK? Midway through this article I was about to say "what is wrong with this" until the end when it completely did a 180. Fuck him whoever the fuck he is. Tim Duncan is one badass nerd. He knows how to get in your head and beat you physically.

inconvertible
04-23-2008, 09:03 PM

By Ryan T. Scott

Kevin Garnett has been known to jump on tables and pound his chest to clarify his passion and energy, while Tim Duncan simply puts the ball in the basket and puts the rings on his fingers.

T R U E

anakha
04-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Tim Duncan is one badass nerd.

So true, yet still so funny. :lol

Sigz
04-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Boring = 4 Rings.

BlackSwordsMan
04-23-2008, 09:06 PM
What a terrible article. Wtf was this guy talking about?

diego
04-23-2008, 09:12 PM
tim just cant fit in to their stereotypes of good basketball players, even though there definitely are players similar to him (in terms of not being the most athletic/extroverted). what annoys me is they act like he is never those things, when he does it pretty damn consistently in the playoffs (the big blocks/jams/late scores/now 3 pointers!/celebratory gestures/etc. that athletic extroverts are known for.)

he's been the best bigman on the planet for several years now and its a shame he doesnt get recognition for it. how many blocks did he have to close out phoenix last year? 9? not to mention he led the scoring in the series! yet we hear about guys like amare and dwight as the all-nba players. no disrespect to them, their futures are still bright, but they are not on duncan's level yet, not even close.

in the end, you have to realize, is that timmy wants it this way. he'd rather have a foundation than a marketing company a la lebron or kobe (i'm not saying they arent charitable, i dont know if they are or not!). but there's a reason Duncan isnt selling coca cola and macdonalds on TV every day, and its a good reason. its been working out for him quite well actually.

Manu_Ginobili
04-23-2008, 09:14 PM

By Ryan T. Scott

The NBA Playoffs are tremendously good this year. So, in honor of this elite competition, I figure we can devote some special attention as we follow the Lakers path to the Championship... ok, fine, we'll see.

What we will do is have some ongoing commentary of the all-time great players that we see on the current playoff stage. I invite you to send your comments about your favorite player to the e-mail address you see over there under the dude with the Lakers jersey.

"Tim Duncan is like a modern day Bill Russell. Of course Russell has 11 Championships, though."

I have to say that I was inspired to do this series based on Time Duncan. Tim Duncan has been a major antagonist to my need for championship celebrations. I don't blame Minnesota sports fans for being "bitter" (that word will never be the same, or more true, after Obama got a hold of it) about having no recent major sports championships. It is fun when your team wins, and profitable to the region as well.

For 11 years Timothy Theodore Duncan has silently terrorized the NBA. Duncan is a shade less athletic than Kevin Garnett, yet he is a greater player because of his controlled mental approach to the game. Maybe that comes with the Honors Degree in Psychology.

Kevin Garnett has been known to jump on tables and pound his chest to clarify his passion and energy, while Tim Duncan simply puts the ball in the basket and puts the rings on his fingers. Four rings to be exact. I know that I pick on K.G. a lot, but I will never get over seeing him pass the ball to Sam Mitchell to take the game winning shot in a playoff game. He didn't even look at the hoop before he passed it. I'm sorry, two thumbs down for that.

Unflappable and ridiculously cool are ways that I would describe Tim Duncan these days, though many people translate that into 'boooring'. Myself, I can appreciate someone who does so much damage on the court without even getting his blood pressure above a resting rate. It is funny to me. It is like the silent poker player constantly whoopin' the big mouth poker player. Makes you think: Maybe the big mouth would win if he shut up. I've been the big mouth many times, and shutting up clearly helps.

Tim Duncan definitely shut me up. I used to think he was a goof. I always question anyone who makes millions of dollars and who obviously doesn't have a skilled barber to provide grooming services. I know that somebody in the San Antonio Spurs locker room has a pair of hair clippers and liners. How do they let him get away with that? I usually make a trade-off with people like that. Something like, "You get a haircut and lining, and I will eat a full bowl of pork chitterlings aka chitlins; and no I don't eat chitlins, or any other food that smells bad. But, I ain't mad at you if you do. Adding hot sauce almost does it for me, too. Anyway, Tim Duncan needs a lining, but me and everyone else can shut up because he has four NBA Championship rings (maybe he is a little boring if the discussion leads from basketball to chitlins).

Each time Tim Duncan has won a championship, he was definitely playing with a solid supporting cast. Each time, they definitely would not have been successful if Tim Duncan was not on that team. For some reason I never thought of this before, but Tim Duncan reminds me of a modern day Bill Russell. They both seem to be dynamic, unassuming players. Of course, Bill Russell has 11 Championship rings (in 13 years), so he obviously gets the nod for the 'dynamic' adjective if comparing. Bill Russell was…oh yeah, I almost forgot I was talking about Tim Duncan.

Well maybe he is boring after all! I got pretty hyped up when Tim hit the huge 3-point shot in overtime during the first game against Phoenix. By the way that is easily the most exciting match-up of the first round of the playoffs, and I encourage anyone who is bored with "new school" basketball to watch that series. Oh, right, Tim Duncan.

You know what, after trying hard to make an article about him interesting, I have to agree with many others who tend to call him boring. Oh, wait, I forgot. Tim Duncan was born in the U.S. Virgin Islands. I have never been to the Virgin Islands, but I would have to imagine it is a beautiful place. I think the Virgin Islands...

Timmy is not boring, he just gets it done, that's all...

Kyle Smith
04-23-2008, 09:25 PM
I think his being boring is part of his charm.

ClingingMars
04-23-2008, 09:25 PM
that guy really struggles with writing

- Mars

Manu_Ginobili
04-23-2008, 09:39 PM

By Ryan T. Scott

Ryan, we are waiting for you...

milkyway21
04-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Tim Duncan has been a major antagonist to my need for championship celebrations

:lol

Princess Pimp
04-24-2008, 12:36 AM
He's indeed BORING

honestfool84
04-24-2008, 12:41 AM
He's indeed BORING

of course you think he's boring!
he sends you :fishing every year!
who in their right mind would enjoy watching a player send their team :fishing every year?

Strike
04-24-2008, 01:13 AM
He's indeed BORING

And you indeed FAIL

BonnerDynasty
04-24-2008, 01:31 AM
Boringringringring.

Supreme_Being
04-24-2008, 01:51 AM
If boring means winning, I'd take winning all the time.

(IMO, I don't find him boring at all.)

JWest596
04-24-2008, 03:59 AM
Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick! this writer and article sucked as bad as anything I've read in weeks.
Did he even think he was clever or funny? How could anyone? "Chitlins"? Tim Duncan and 'bowl of chitlins'? For the love of God?! Go fuck yourself and your borderline 'Uncle Remus' comments. What's next? "Sho' nuff"? Someone tell me any slight connection between a native Virgin Islander NBA b-baller and a "bowl of chitlins"?

And finally what's really boring is all theese lazy sports writers who don't have brains, knowledge or creativity to do anything but mimic a so tired "Boring" crapfest for the umpteenth billionth time in 5 years. Don't watch it the and STFU. :flipoff

m33p0
04-24-2008, 04:22 AM

This part was good. i'll give him that much.

polandprzem
04-24-2008, 04:34 AM

:lol

I've benn saying that for more then 3 years now.

But it's more to it then the article says.
I think his passion is like Bills passion. I think Tims 'going for a win with his team' is similar to Bills. They both were the leaders for the way they behave and were setting the tone by personality. And to add a statistic they arev the only two guys winning a championship with 2 different squads in the same team. Taht means the team had to rebuild on one person and be the best. 11 guys has changed buy Tim is the same.

travis2
04-24-2008, 06:25 AM
geez, why all the hate? The article wasn't hostile, for crying out loud...

I found it amusing...

Solid D
04-24-2008, 07:33 AM
It's an article in a small, community newspaper in Minneapolis.

http://www.insightnews.com/about.asp

ancestron
04-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Tim Duncan, when asked about the article, responded, "Its a great article."