PDA

View Full Version : Who is the REAL rival of the spurs now?

manufor3
04-23-2008, 07:49 PM
The suns now seem more of a threat than the mavs, so who is the sours TRUE rival?

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Hornets OWN the Spurs @ NO and killed them @ SA

and they would have HC

and the Spurs have never got past the 2nd rd after wining the title

remingtonbo2001
04-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Good Question. I have no idea.

Hmmm...Ourselves?!?

Elraptor
04-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Honestly, the Suns for sure.

jdelar03
04-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Lakers

Elraptor
04-23-2008, 08:01 PM
LakersSpurs will beat the Lakers. And i bet Bowen will get alot of playing time on defense guarding Kobe.

Allanon
04-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Spurs will beat the Lakers. And i bet Bowen will get alot of playing time on defense guarding Kobe.

Spurs have to win it a round at a time but I suspect after this round, it would be Mavs then Lakers. Yes, I still think Mavs will win their series :)

Bowen does a good job on Kobe. The problem now is nobody on the Spurs can cover Odom+Pau at the same time.

Phil's new lineup I saw him use against Denver is an interesting cover:
Fisher
Kobe
Luke
Odom
Pau

td4mvp21
04-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Bowen does a good job on Kobe. The problem now is nobody on the Spurs can cover Odom+Pau at the same time.

What are you talking about, Finley will be on him :)

The Lakers will have a mismatch there but thankfully Lamar Odom isn't Kobe Bryant :lol

I would say either Phoenix or Dallas. A lot of hate going on there. We used to be rivals with the Lakers but this Lakers team is different than that one for the most part.

BonnerDynasty
04-23-2008, 08:18 PM
I am not looking past the suns but hurry hurry hurry to Lakers before Bynum gets back!

Mavs fell out of the picture after beating us, and I hate the Suns b/c of the shit talking on their side, maybe the Lakers are the only TRUE rival left with Kobe and Phil but I don't think about them much.

Brutalis
04-23-2008, 08:19 PM
We don't have true rivals. Detroit is one sort of. It's always a battle of the league's best every game.

CosmicCowboy
04-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Lakers will be the team to beat, but as tight as the West is it just goes one game at a time.

DazedAndConfused
04-23-2008, 08:28 PM
I'll be honest. This year the Spurs are a stronger overall team than the Lakers. Our offense is better, but defensively we are not near where the Spurs are. I'm not saying we can't beat the Spurs, but if I were a betting man my money would be on them to grind out the series.

However, next season and beyond it's all over for SAS. When Bynum and Ariza return the Lakers should dominate the WC. Considering we are slight favorites to win it all this year with the team we have, adding two huge defensive pieces should put us as the clear favorites to win it all next season.

Lakers_55
04-23-2008, 08:40 PM
If I might add this, the more rivals you get, the better your reputation. Nothing wrong with being feared by many in this league!

Kori Ellis
04-23-2008, 08:41 PM
I don't think there is any "real" rival but all the series would be good.

Elraptor
04-23-2008, 08:42 PM
I don't think there is any "real" rival but all the series would be good.Yea if we play the Lakers, that's going to be a good series. Although i think we'll beat them for sure.

ClingingMars
04-23-2008, 08:44 PM
I don't think there is any "real" rival but all the series would be good.

Elraptor
04-23-2008, 08:46 PM
What are you talking about, Finley will be on him :)

The Lakers will have a mismatch there but thankfully Lamar Odom isn't Kobe Bryant :lol

I would say either Phoenix or Dallas. A lot of hate going on there. We used to be rivals with the Lakers but this Lakers team is different than that one for the most part.True, but i wouldn't be surprise if Bowen is defending him and gets alot more playing time. Bowen is one of the best defenders in the league without a doubt.

Elraptor
04-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Spurs have to win it a round at a time but I suspect after this round, it would be Mavs then Lakers. Yes, I still think Mavs will win their series :)

Phil's new lineup I saw him use against Denver is an interesting cover:
Fisher
Kobe
Luke
Odom
PauNope, i think the Hornets will win, maybe even sweep them. :depressed

Phil Hellmuth
04-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Don't the other team have to win for it to be a true rivalry (Suns). Seems to be a Bully - nerd rivalry in a sense if you want to talk Suns.

PHXSpursFan
04-23-2008, 08:50 PM
I still think the Lakers.

TDMVPDPOY
04-23-2008, 08:51 PM
i could care less who our next rivals are

as long stern and his clowns dont make a fakers/celtics finals

we all know what happen in 03/04 when they rigged 0.4 for the fakers and advantage over the spurs and beat them to advance

seems like what they are trying to do this year,

DazedAndConfused
04-23-2008, 08:51 PM
The Spurs will sweep NOH if they play. NOH's offense is completely reliant on CP3 running the show, much the same was as PHX is reliant on Nash. If there is one thing Pop is great at doing it's keying in his defense to take away your primary options on offense. Unfortunately for NOH their primary option on offense is their only option.

Shaolin-Style
04-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Lakers

Obstructed_View
04-23-2008, 08:57 PM
The Spurs aren't out of the first round yet. The Spurs haven't won a playoff game on the road yet.

That said, I really hope it becomes Boston. I'd love to see the Spurs beat the Celtics in the finals the next couple of years.

urunobili
04-23-2008, 10:33 PM
if we get past PHX i am more afraid of the NOH than any other team...

brettn
04-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Right NOW, it has to be PHX.

NOH haven't been on the "map" long enough to be considered our primary rival even if they are a good team. That could change this year so we'll see.

Dallas has all but fallen off the map the past two years now.

We haven't played the Lakers enough in the past few years for them to still be considered our rival either. Again, that could change here in these playoffs.

Right now it feels like we're in a transition between rivals with the hornets and lakers both on the up and up and dallas and phx seemingly on their way down. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

DAF86
04-23-2008, 11:04 PM
The Spurs will sweep NOH if they play. NOH's offense is completely reliant on CP3 running the show, much the same was as PHX is reliant on Nash. If there is one thing Pop is great at doing it's keying in his defense to take away your primary options on offense. Unfortunately for NOH their primary option on offense is their only option.

Agree, and I'll add to that: lack of experince.

honestfool84
04-24-2008, 12:13 AM

and they would have HC

are you kidding me?

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR POSTS sounds exactly like a troll would sound like.

seriously.

Supreme_Being
04-24-2008, 12:22 AM
I'd say the Pistons?

thekingrobert
04-24-2008, 12:41 AM
to have a rivalry it has to be a back and forth

m33p0
04-24-2008, 05:31 AM
unless the spurs meet the celtics in the finals and knock them off that high horse the media have placed them on, they are the spurs biggest rival in terms of perception.

ancestron
04-24-2008, 09:06 AM

and they would have HC

your life is an empty void that you try to fill with negativity and shameless pleasure from other's failures. You need help.

SAGambler
04-24-2008, 09:14 AM
I still go with the Mavs or Lakeshow.

Since Phoenix has never won a playoff series against us, how can it even be considered a "rivalry"? Throw regular season out the window. Everyone tells you RS games don't mean nothing anyway.

So, since Mavs have most recently been the one to keep us out of the Finals, I think it has to be them.

oboymeetsogirl
04-24-2008, 09:29 AM
I think it's a bad idea to look past the Suns. One battle at a time. Pop and his team certainly don't underestimate them. If the Suns eke out two wins in Phoenix, we're back to square one. A two out of three series. At that point, all bets are off.

That said, the Lakers, Jazz and Hornets are all looking mighty good right now. But it'd be foolish for Laker fans to think about the Spurs right now because they'd have to go through the Jazz first, a far more cohesive, disciplined team than the Nuggets. They're in for a war even before getting to the WC finals, and I'd put their chances at 50/50 at best.

Hornets? Big "remains-to-be-seen." Phenomenal players, but still unproven in playoff basketball.

In the East, obviously the Celtics and Pistons are looming. But who can think that far when there's still the big, bad West to get through?

wildbill2u
04-24-2008, 09:44 AM
The suns now seem more of a threat than the mavs, so who is the sours TRUE rival?

If any one team in the WC hates us more than the others it would have to be the Suns. They are sort of like the old Spurs when they were always the loser to the hated Lakers.

As for the Spurs, they don't have any particular passion against any team any more. The Lakers and Mavs rivalry pretty much lapsed with our championships. The Mavs have imploded and the Lakers haven't quite proven they've recovered their power. The Rocket victories in the 94-95 campaigns are forgotten.

I suppose the fans dislike Phoenix more because of their attitude toward the Spurs. They seem to think we're always just lucky when we play them and the coach says they are a better team.

BiZNicK
04-24-2008, 09:50 AM
When you always own a team in the playoffs that's not a rivarly...that's just domination. It has to be dallas, especially after that epic 7 game series in 2006. Plus, theyre in the same division as the Spurs so there's even more competitive.

wildbill2u
04-24-2008, 10:10 AM
I forgot one thing in my previous post. The recent comments by Rajah Bell about their big men beating TP up in the lane and putting him on the ground ("If he gets back up, God bless him") may preview a strategy to cause an injury that would put TP out of the series or limit his effectiveness. They obviously think they have some payback coming for the Horry/Nash incident last year.

If that happens, the Suns automatically become Enemy No. 1

xtremesteven33
04-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Lakers by far...

Spurs defeat Lakers 1999
Lakers defeat Spurs 2001,2002
Spurs defear Lakers 2003
Lakers defeat Spurs 2004

i get a feeling though its gonna be the Celtics really soon....

rAm
04-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Lakers by far...

Spurs defeat Lakers 1999
Lakers defeat Spurs 2001,2002
Spurs defear Lakers 2003
Lakers defeat Spurs 2004

i get a feeling though its gonna be the Celtics really soon....

Why would you think that?

The chances of us meeting the Celtics in the playoffs enough times to make it a rivalry is very low. Not to mention that both team's superstars are getting up there in age.

The Lakers are our biggest rivals, with the Jazz behind them, then the Suns, and then the Mavs. As far as history is concerned atleast.

DDS4
04-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Yep. The series between the Lakers between 1999-2004 was definitely the modern day rivalry. I miss it actually.

I don't consider the Suns a rival yet until they beat us in the playoffs.

We haven't played the Pistons nor New Orleans enough to be rivals with them.

It was developing with the Mavs, but I think they've dropped off a bit. We still owe them for 2006.

sa_butta
04-24-2008, 11:13 AM
If I had to pick one I would say the Lakers, but then again to me anyone not in the black and silver is a rival to me.

xtremesteven33
04-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Why would you think that?

The chances of us meeting the Celtics in the playoffs enough times to make it a rivalry is very low. Not to mention that both team's superstars are getting up there in age.

The Lakers are our biggest rivals, with the Jazz behind them, then the Suns, and then the Mavs. As far as history is concerned atleast.

well a "basketball rivalry" by many is considered a exchange of defeats in the playoffs, but to me thats not what i would consider the sole elements of a great rivalry. To me a rivalry could also begin when you have two teams who are so evenly matched meeting in the NBA Finals to prove something to the World. One 7 game series with Road wins for both teams could initiate a Rivalry real quick. Even some intense regular season games that are epic could ADD to the rivalry. So a "rivalry" doesnt necesarilly have to be an exchange of playoff defeats. in my opinion....

Indazone
04-24-2008, 11:29 AM
yeah and the Rockets and Spurs are built from each other's players. Lets see

Horry
Elie
Willis
Scola
Barry

Who did I leave off this list. It's almost like our two managments are in collusion with each other. Who to root for...??? Hmm

NASpurs
04-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Utah used to beat the Spurs over and over in the 90s and now we're returning the favor. Maybe that's a rivalry that's been ongoing for more than a decade.

But a more recent one would have to be the Lakers, no doubt.

manufor3
04-24-2008, 09:31 PM
are you kidding me?

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR POSTS sounds exactly like a troll would sound like.

seriously.

exactly

florige
04-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Nope, i think the Hornets will win, maybe even sweep them. :depressed

We'll see how they play them in Dallas. If that does happen.....

CosmicCowboy
04-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Dalllas?

Phoenix?

LOL

Those guys are rapidly fading into the past and will be hard pressed to make the playoffs next year...Sarver rolled the dice this year with Shaq and Dallas is out of options no matter how much money Cuban would like to throw at winning...it will be blow up and reorganize time for both teams...the window just slammed shut. Phoenix might have one more years run but thats it...

Lakers and Utah are the front runners for rival and Seattle and Portland will be much improved next year...NO isn't going away either...

GSH
04-24-2008, 10:34 PM
I said before the season started that the team we have to get by in the West is the Jazz. I didn't forsee the Lakers ability to bring in Pau Gasol, but I still say that the Jazz are built for the playoffs, in similar fashion to the Spurs. And even though I hate... seriously hate Jerry Sloan, you have to respect the discipline of the teams he coaches. I have never seen any other team get as much mileage out of the last 30 seconds of a game as Sloan's Jazz.

That being said, in the next round the Jazz are our best friends. Because even if they eventually lose to the Lakers, they should be able to stretch them into an extended series.

Before that matters, we have to get past the Hornets. (I just don't think the Suns can win 4 of 5 against the Spurs.) The Hornets are a legit team, but I think they still have to pay their playoff experience dues against the experience of the Spurs.

I'm sticking with my pre-season prediction. Spurs vs. Jazz in the WCF again. If it happens, it will go a long way towards defining a rivalry.

Don Quixote
04-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Lakers. You actually have to have beaten each other recently for it to be a rivalry.

When did the Nones ever beat us? Back in 2000. We do not have a rivalry with Phoenix.

Dallas has beaten us recently, so it's a little rivalry. Not that it matters since they'll be gone in a few days.