View Full Version : T-Mac

Indazone
04-23-2008, 08:25 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5725471.html

April 23, 2008, 6:55PM

McGrady: Playoffs put him in 'tough situation'

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

All those pointing at Tracy McGrady for the Rockets' failures in their playoff series against the Utah Jazz and his failure in getting beyond the first round in six playoff appearances on Wednesday added a surprising voice to their cause.

McGrady blamed himself.

Sort of.

Mocking those who blame him, McGrady joined the chorus.

"It's my fault," McGrady said. "It's my fault we missed free throws. It's my fault we lost both games. Blame me. It's my fault we fouled to tie the game up. That's my fault. It's my fault they get easy layups. It's my fault we're not executing well on the offensive end. It's my fault a couple people in the stands ordered Heinekens and they got Budweiser. It's my fault. I'm sorry."

Told the beer reference might have revealed his straight-faced sarcasm, McGrady rolled on.

"I am serious," he said. "It's my fault. Everything is my fault. It's my fault. It's T-Mac's fault.

"Everybody's blaming me. The Suns. I mean, everybody. That's what it seems like. It's my fault. I'm out there by myself."

McGrady carried the Rockets for three quarters on Monday, scoring 22 points with 10 rebounds and nine assists. He had one point and three rebounds, without an assist in the fourth quarter as the Rockets fell into two-game hole in the series, explaining he was worn out in the fourth quarter.

In the two games, he is 0-for-7 in fourth quarters, prompting debate on McGrady's play in this and past series.

"I'm in a tough position," McGrady said. "If I go out and try to be passive and we're not making shots, then we're in a hole. If I am aggressive and I have to stay that way, then fourth quarter, I'm worn out, don't have the lift I do in the first three quarters.

"It's a tough situation to be in. Story of my season or my playoff career."

This has become a greater issue with the Rockets shorthanded with the Rockets playing the first two games of the season with Yao Ming and Rafer Alston out.

"That's another one of my faults, that Rafer got hurt and Yao got hurt," McGrady said. "It's my fault. I'm sorry.

"Even some of the guys can't even believe it. I was talking to one of the guys and he was like, "I would hate to be you. I really can't believe what some of the people say about you, especially after playing the game you played the other night.' They can't believe it."

Rockets coach Rick Adelman seemed surprised by the criticism as well, but said he was not concerned that it would affect McGrady.

"He's got a lot on his shoulders right now, no matter what he does," Adelman said. "He almost got a triple double and it still wasn't good enough. He's going to be fine. He's pretty tough mentally. He'll get through it."

McGrady also said that he would not change the way he plays. Though he made it clear he was extremely aware of the criticism, he said it doesn't bother him.

"I got to keep on doing what I do," he said. "I can't even worry about that."

McGrady, however did acknowledge that if the Rockets win, he would also be given excessive credit.

"You said it, man. That's it," McGrady said. "If we was to win that game Tuesday night, despite me scoring only one point in the fourth quarter, if was was to win that game, Oh, I had an awesome game — an unbelievable game. If we win, I made my teammates better, I rebounded, I played defense. That would have been the story line. But because we lost (ellipses)

"I can't do nothing about it."

McGrady was told that his childhood hero, Magic Johnson, had praised him on the TNT broadcast.

"If Magic Johnson liked my game," McGrady said, "then damn what everyone else says."

Indazone
04-23-2008, 08:30 PM
T-Mac gets thrown under the bus a lot but he's still a great ball player with less than steller talent surrounding him.

KidCongo
04-23-2008, 08:36 PM
it would be cool if the Rockets come from behind and win this series.

Elraptor
04-23-2008, 08:39 PM
it would be cool if the Rockets come from behind and win this series.Not going to happen, but it would be nice. I like the rockets way more than the Jazz. Period.

Elraptor
04-23-2008, 08:40 PM
T-Mac gets thrown under the bus a lot but he's still a great ball player with less than steller talent surrounding him.Yea he's a great player.

atxrocker
04-23-2008, 08:52 PM
I have always really liked Tracy. It's really too bad that he's had so many injuries through his career and this year two of his key teammates are out. The guy is talented beyond belief, I really dig his game.

mavsfan1000
04-23-2008, 09:14 PM
T-Mac gets thrown under the bus a lot but he's still a great ball player with less than steller talent surrounding him.
Sounds familiar. I think we got a player in a similar situation.

Roxsfan
04-23-2008, 10:02 PM
^^yes, people blaming Dirk are idiots too. Man, the Mavs used to be so brilliant on offense and improved their D a bit too and were really fast and really scary. Man, how times change.

SA is the same......boring during the season with a bored tim duncan, then they get all horny for the postseason:toast

Rox--if they can stay healthy and add supporting talent, they can be the western conference finals champs

tmac is a great player surrounded by streaky role players