PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Ginobili Has Proven He's Top Sub In Series

duncan228
04-24-2008, 12:17 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042408.SpursNotebook.en.343f35c.html

Spurs notebook: Ginobili has proven he's top sub in series
Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

The NBA handed out its Sixth Man of the Year award this week without controversy.

Spurs guard Manu Ginobili, a near unanimous selection, accepted the trophy before Game 2 of his team's playoff series with Phoenix on Tuesday night. Looking on that night was the distant runner-up for the award, the Suns' Leandro Barbosa.

Ginobili garnered 123 of 124 first-place votes, then promptly proved that the balloting was not undisputed enough.

Ginobili scored 29 points in the Spurs' 102-96 Game 2 victory. Barbosa, who won the award last year and pulled the lone remaining first-place vote this year, missed all seven of his field-goal attempts and went scoreless.

Even before Tuesday's object lesson, Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni had no qualms with how the voting turned out.

"I think he's one of the best players in the league, sixth man, first man, third man," D'Antoni said. "He should be on the All-Star team. He's a little undervalued, I guess."

So far, Ginobili is winning the battle of super-subs in this series, which resumes Friday night in Phoenix.

Ginobili, who scored at a team-leading clip of 19.5 points per game for the Spurs during the regular season, is averaging 26.5 in two playoff games. Barbosa is averaging six points in the postseason, down from 15.6 in the regular season.

Even after seeing his team outscored 40-13 off the bench Tuesday, however, D'Antoni wasn't ready to call bench production a concern for the Suns.

"The (bench-point) differential doesn't bother me, because Ginobili is about 90 percent of it," D'Antoni said Wednesday. "(Brent) Barry was the only bench guy besides Ginobili to score in the first half, and he had just the one three."

Ball-hogging Big Three: In Game 2, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Ginobili combined for 51 of the Spurs' 54 points in the first half.

Barry was the only other Spurs player to score before halftime, courtesy of a 3-pointer in the second quarter.

"You'd think those guys would want to pass once in a while," Barry said jokingly. "They were selfish."

R&R day: With Game 3 not scheduled until Friday, both teams took Wednesday off.

The Spurs will work out this morning before boarding their charter flight to Phoenix. The Suns, meanwhile, also have a practice scheduled for today.

Hacked off: Suns center Shaquille O'Neal made 5 of 6 free throws during a stretch of Tuesday's third quarter when the Spurs intentionally fouled him before Phoenix could set up an offense. Nevertheless, D'Antoni expects Spurs coach Gregg Popovich to revisit the tactic through the series.

"I think he'll always use it," D'Antoni said. "You're always going to stick your toe in the water and test it. If they feel that's a viable option to stopping the half-court (offense), they'll try it. I was glad to see Shaq do that. He was great. But I think they'll always try it."

Staff writer Mike Monroe contributed to this report.

mystargtr34
04-24-2008, 12:21 AM
Since when did we need any more proof

MaNuMaNiAc
04-24-2008, 12:23 AM
As if there was any doubt on who the better player is...

phyzik
04-24-2008, 12:27 AM
If we make it to the 'ship I really want Manu to win the finals MVP this year. He deserved it in 2005 and based on his play this year (assuming it eventually continues in the playoffs) he should be the undisputed choice.....

Some how I find it hard to see Timmy argue with that.

TMTTRIO
04-24-2008, 12:36 AM
yeah I would love to see Manu get one too then all three would have a Finals MVP but I don't ever see that happening if and when we make it that far. With Tim and Tony playing very well again and with Manu playing from the bench I can't ever see that happening. By the way has any bench player ever won the Finals MVP before?;)

DAF86
04-24-2008, 12:41 AM
yeah I would love to see Manu get one too then all three would have a Finals MVP but I don't ever see that happening if and when we make it that far. With Tim and Tony playing very well again and with Manu playing from the bench I can't ever see that happening.

That's true, when Tim and Tony are playing good from the get-go Manu takes a step back and just let them take over. That's also why i'd like to see him win it, he's all about the team.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-24-2008, 02:14 AM
If Spurs do what it takes to get to the Finals, Manu could have a chance to get MVP depending on the matchup the Spurs get. It's all about how Pop exploits the defenses. I'm pretty sure in one of the series Pop's gonna give Manu free reign.

romain.star
04-24-2008, 03:31 AM
If the Spurs meet Boston in he Finals, i suppose the best match up will be for Tony

timvp
04-24-2008, 03:33 AM
If the Spurs make the Finals, I hope they win the series. I don't give a damn if Damon Stoudamire wins Finals MVP, as long as the Spurs win.

DAF86
04-24-2008, 03:35 AM
If the Spurs meet Boston in he Finals, i suppose the best match up will be for Tony

I don't know 'bout that, Rondo is a very good defender.

duncan228
04-24-2008, 03:38 AM
If the Spurs make the Finals, I hope they win the series. I don't give a damn if Damon Stoudamire wins Finals MVP, as long as the Spurs win.

I agree, the Championship is all that matters.
I always want Duncan to get the Finals MVP, but that's because I want to see him play like a Finals MVP. Whoever earns it should get it.

timvp
04-24-2008, 03:42 AM
Regarding this article, if anyone had any doubts that Ginobili was the best bench player in the NBA, they should stop watching basketball. Ginobili is far and away the best bench player. No other bench player should be in the same paragraph.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Regarding this article, if anyone had any doubts that Ginobili was the best bench player in the NBA, they should stop watching basketball. Ginobili is far and away the best bench player. No other bench player should be in the same paragraph.

What he said.

CubanMustGo
04-24-2008, 10:41 AM
I still wanna know who the idiot is who voted Barby #1 and left Manuu totally off the ballot.

dreamcastrocks
04-24-2008, 11:01 AM
As if there was any doubt on who the better player is...

Tell me about it.

Cry Havoc
04-24-2008, 11:09 AM
I still wanna know who the idiot is who voted Barby #1 and left Manuu totally off the ballot.

They might have done that as a protest to him being a "bench player", since he plays so many minutes.

Not defending them, just stating it as their potential POV.

E20
04-24-2008, 11:10 AM
D'antoni has always given Ginobili props. During the Coach interview after the 1Q of Game 2, DA gave him pretty sound compliments as well.

mardigan
04-24-2008, 11:11 AM
I think just about anyone the Spurs bring off the bench this series is making more of an impact than anyone Phoenix is bringing off their bench.

ducks
04-24-2008, 03:52 PM

I agree 100%