PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: D'Antoni Remains Confident In Suns

duncan228
04-24-2008, 12:20 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042408.SunsFeature.en.343f3a4.html

Pro basketball: D'Antoni remains confident in Suns
Mike Monroe
San Antonio Express-News

PHOENIX — A late Tuesday night tipoff for Game 2 of the Spurs-Suns Western Conference first-round playoff series was followed by a late night trip back to the desert for Phoenix.

By the time the Suns landed, they had gained two hours but no better idea how they had managed to depart Texas without a split in two games in which they enjoyed double-digit leads before yielding control in the third period of both games.

Suns coach Mike D'Antoni sent his players home after the flight with instructions to enjoy a day of rest and be ready to go back to work this morning, trying to find a way to blunt the momentum the Spurs discovered in the second halves.

"We had a pity party," D'Antoni said from his office at US Airways Arena, "but it didn't last long, and we'll be back on Thursday to go to work."

D'Antoni believes in his team's resiliency because he has seen it. Two years ago, the Suns trailed the Lakers 3-1 in the first rounds. They finished that series with three-straight victories and went on to the Western Conference finals

"That was way worse than this," D'Antoni said.

He continues to maintain the Suns know they played well enough to win Game 1 and draw strength from the fact.

"Things should have gone down 1-1," he said. "They didn't, and we're going to come out Friday and win a basketball game. Our approach would be the same if we were up 2-0 or tied 1-1."

Though he said after Tuesday's loss that his players had exhibited signs of panic during the Spurs' third-quarter comeback, D'Antoni believes their confidence survived.

"All our focus now is on winning our next game," he said. "You never know what happens after that. We're just giving ourselves a chance. So that's what our focus is: Friday. We're going to win a basketball game, and then we'll figure out Sunday (when Game 4 will be played)."

While the players relaxed in Wednesday's Arizona sunshine, the Suns' coaches broke down videotape of Game 2 in an attempt to discover how their team's 14-point lead disappeared so quickly.

What they saw was a nearly flawless third quarter for the Spurs and one of the sloppiest quarters of the series for the Suns.

"It wasn't so much about makes and misses," D'Antoni said. "I think it's just making the right plays. The first game we had chances going down the stretch to make the right plays, and we didn't do it. And (Tuesday) San Antonio played exceptionally well. Let's not forget: That's a great team that just doesn't make many mistakes.

"We've just got to get back on our court and make the right plays, whether it's the right pass, making shots or making a defensive play. There are a lot of things that go into it. San Antonio was better at it (Tuesday) than we were."

The Spurs limited Phoenix's fast-break points in the first two games and enjoyed a 23-4 edge in that category in Game 2. D'Antoni is less concerned about his own team's lack of points on the run than those the Spurs posted.

"The only stat that worries me is the final score," he said. "But they did well on the break. Tony (Parker) got loose on us a little bit. We made some (late) adjustments (that) I think will bode well, and I thought Shaquille (O'Neal) did good job on Timmy (Duncan). It's not as complicated as a lot of people think — just tighten the screws a little bit"

phyzik
04-24-2008, 12:32 AM
"We had a pity party," D'Antoni said from his office at US Airways Arena, "but it didn't last long, and we'll be back on Thursday to go to work."

I, for some reason, have an inkling that the whole city of Phoenix is going to have a "pity party" after about 3 or 4 more games.

"It wasn't so much about makes and misses," D'Antoni said. "I think it's just making the right plays. The first game we had chances going down the stretch to make the right plays, and we didn't do it. And (Tuesday) San Antonio played exceptionally well. Let's not forget: That's a great team that just doesn't make many mistakes.

Might as well keep telling themselves that.... They've done it for the past 8 years or so, I mean, look how well its turned out for them!

..........Oh, wait, nevermind.

Supreme_Being
04-24-2008, 12:33 AM
Duncan228.... Grazie!

phyzik
04-24-2008, 12:36 AM
Duncan228.... Grazie!

Bah, I could post these things way earlier than this chic.... Fortunately for her, Im just to darned lazy! :lol

j/k Thanks D228

duncan228
04-24-2008, 12:40 AM
Duncan228.... Grazie!

Bah, I could post these things way earlier than this chic.... Fortunately for her, Im just to darned lazy!

j/k Thanks D228

:lol No problem.

Princess Pimp
04-24-2008, 12:54 AM
Bitches you are going down on Friday, Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday.

Suns in 6